Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Krakox posted:

the one thing that Got Me in episode 1 was the MMC death chant about how they're going to destroy earth. That loving ruled. WHO WILL DRINK THE RIVERS AND CRUSH THE MOUNTAINS
Yeah, well...

Minor spoiler, but I just can't pass up the chance to be sarcastic here:
A certain Martian marine gets a shitload less hawkish once she gets a tour of the homeworld, and realises Mother Earth has no problems crushing her right the gently caress back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

And you even see the starfield moving sideways opposite of the direction the station's spin, what could possibly make someone fall downwards in that situation.
He isn't falling downwards, he's being flung outwards. Because the only thing that stops that from happening on a spinning station is the floor.

Am I missing something here? What was supposed to happen?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

He should have been flung along the trajectory the stars in the background are going.
He's on a spinning station. Centrifugal acceleration acts perpendicular to the station's spin, that's how it simulates gravity (i.e it pushes people "down" to the "floor").

He probably should have been flung at a bit of an angle because of coriolis, but any spin fast enough to simulate gravity would fling him mostly outwards/downwards.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

flosofl posted:

Centrifugal is a "psuedo force" that only exists within the rotational frame.
That scene is set within the rotational frame though, so it's appropriate. It's used to describe the force of the station's "floor" pushing against their feet, right? (I do tend to get them mixed up)

I thought that'd be simpler/more familiar way to explain what was happening.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That's actually one of the biggest problems I have with Tycho. Docking at the outer edge of a spinning object like that would be very difficult, if not completely impossible.

The docks should be at a hub in the centre.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Subyng posted:

It would make sense if they were moving tangent to the ring, then thrusted forward when they lined up with the docking port.

Edit: acgue the roci just needs to be stationary relative to the ring and thrust forward once the docks line up
There's no way to be stationary relative to the ring though, for the same reason spin can be used to simulate gravity. The edge is constantly accelerating away in a curve. To match the edge's motion with a ship you have to rotate and accelerate towards it constantly, all while your own motion is trying to carry you away from it. It's an extremely complex manoeuvre, definitely not something that could be done by hand.

From the gifs it looks like they solved the problem by having gimbals "catch" the ship as it sweeps past. That must be a bit teeth rattling though, to say the least (in reality it'd probably tear the ship in two).

I still give the series a 9/10 for trying this poo poo when no one else would even bother. I fell in love with it when Miller poured his whiskey in the brothel in season 1, and the Coriolis effect caused it to spiral sideways into the glass. That's attention to detail.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Phanatic posted:

That was a gross exaggeration of how much the Coriolis effect would come into play there. I mean, if there's that much of an effect over that short a distance the difference in acceleration between your head and your feet would make just living there enormously uncomfortable; "down" would be a different direction at each point along your body. In reality a station as big as Ceres rotating at the speed it would need to rotate for that level of force, Coriolis effects over the distance that small would be small enough to be swamped by things like air currents, you'd never notice it pouring whiskey into a glass.
Ah, here's where the attention to detail really grabs you though.

The brothel is in one of the poor parts of town, close to the centre of the asteroid. It's a cheap place to live because the coriolis effects are so uncomfortable.

If you notice later on, Miller pours a glass of water in the governor's office and the water actually flows straight down. The governor and all the other rich well-wallers live close to the edge, where you can hardly notice coriolis effects at all.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I don't know about a gif, but the wiki has a screenshot.

http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Coriolis_Effect

edit: although that's not the scene I was talking about, this is:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I have to imagine that as an alcoholic Earther I would have a really frustrating time if I went up into the belt.
If you're an Earther on Ceres, you''re probably rich enough to not have to deal with that poo poo.

Here's the scene in the governor's office I was talking about :

Same station, no visible coriolis fuckery. It's a really neat and subtle way to demonstrate the class differences on Ceres.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

We didn't exactly cover a lot of book material last season. Not that I'm complaining, but maybe they were told to hurry poo poo along.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Collateral posted:

It's AQUA not agua. As in the Latin for water. :colbert:
Shut up, nerd!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agua

AlternateAccount posted:

No other Spanish in the show tho...
Belter cant has lots of other Portuguese and Spanish loanwords.

Sasa ke.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 8, 2017

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Platystemon posted:

If we’re lucky there will be none, so we can debate if the 6′ Samoan boxer is really the best the casting department could find.
They should've cast Hafthor Bjornsson.

He'd have to wear a wig, obviously.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I can't imagine that an anime was the origin of it
Maybe not, but It's a close call. I think they're only a couple or three thousand years behind the curve!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

No complaints, although I thought he'd be older.

I might be misremembering though, it's been years since I read the first book.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

flosofl posted:

It was specifically called out in this last episode that Mars has superior ships. Given the MCR's training and operating in 1G *and* the fact they're all the same specieis when you get right down to it, I can't imagine Earth having any real advantage other than sheer numbers.
There's a huge difference between training at 1g and living in 1g. Earthers are naturally stronger than Martians or Belters, and can take a lot more acceleration without passing out or flat out dying. That's an advantage in space right there.

Martian ships are more advanced than Earth ones, but we're not talking nuclear submarine versus ironclad more advanced. Earth ships can still hurt them just fine.

And we've seen that spending generations pushing around comparatively helpless belters has made Martians arrogant to the point of sheer loving stupidity. The Martian flagship got its poo poo pushed in in the first real fight it ever found itself in. You could say the same of Earth, but Earth has the numbers to absorb the losses and learn the lessons.

All in all, I think Earth would win a protracted fight. Unless Mars started throwing rocks at Earth, but I don't think a culture bent on bringing a dead planet to life could ever countenance such a thing.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Platystemon posted:

It’s legitimate salvage. :colbert:
Whatever you say Barbarossa.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

As Dresden said, aliens put a payload of PM on board a rock we now call Phoebe, and fired it at the solar system.
Specifically, they fired it at Earth.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I liked this episode, it was good.

This thread is turning into Guantanamo for metaphors though.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Also why are ships blowing up a bunch of soy bean farms?? Was shouting "NO MY BEANS!!!" every time one of those big farms got destroyed. Is it all protogen once again trying to start a war and spooping the UN and Mars ?
The big things in orbit are solar reflectors, the farms are on the surface.

I don't think they were shooting at them deliberately, they were just getting caught in the crossfire.

Earth and Mars now have about a million years of bad luck each. :ohdear:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Xealot posted:

What I mean is, "his ship worked for a bit and then exploded" is just as rational a conclusion as, "his magic engine worked perfectly...too well, because the g-load killed him." I guess there could've been some trackable nav data indicating how far he got.
His ship accelerated for over a day. A fusion rocket isn't that hard to spot if you know roughly which direction to look, and considering it was breaking the laws of physics it's safe to say people took an interest.

They know exactly where the ship is, even now... they just can't catch it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

:siren: zomg bookspoilers! :siren:

But yeah, it's Drummer.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

R-Type posted:

Meh, any good engineer would have put a timed limit to the burn, and or put a dead mans switch to cut it off with. Waverunners from our time have a dead man's switch. Still a good origin story though.
He wouldn't have needed a dead man's switch if Siri had loving localised properly :colbert:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

I hope we get to see the tiny forearm mounted miniguns in action. They looked pretty cool.
We did, in literally the first scene of the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r42q6l49Bb4

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Fun fact about Mars: it has a ~24 hour day.

We see the middle/upper class areas of Ceres have an artificial sky in season 1. I can't remember if we've seen them cycle between a day and night scene, but it'd be easily done.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

reagan posted:

Goddamn, I just finished the 1st season and the show is as good as people claimed. It sounds like it intensifies in season 2? Do I get more Mars and more stuff like the Donnager fight?
I hate to spoil it for you, but I think you deserve to know.

They got a new showrunner for season 2. He really wanted to capture the tween crowd, so the show has pivotted pretty hard towards that demographic. There's a lot of angst, worrying about clothes, some pretty on point messaging about bullying and acceptance, and it looks like the season climax is going to be a dance off.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

What I don't think makes a lot of sense is Naomi suddenly having "split loyalties" drama. In season 1 she expressed a lot of resentment towards the OPA and saw them as separate from or even antagonistic towards the actual needs of belters. Then after spending a lot of time working with Holden and a diverse crew who "do the right thing" as part of a bigger non-nationalistic picture she suddenly gets all patriotic and loyal towards a piece of poo poo like Dawes?? Just out of nowhere she becomes an OPA partisan? It feels like a switch was flipped just to create drama and tension.
It's hardly out of nowhere. She's just seen an entire habitat genocided for some rear end in a top hat Earther's school science project.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

He's been extremely duplicitous and utterly immoral. You can't trust anything he says and he will betray and backstab anyone and anything, sacrifice anyone, all while feeling perfectly justified because of his "cause". I imagine him with actual power over a more independant belt becoming more of a Slobodan Milošević or Zelimkhan Yandarbiyev than a Nelson Mandela or Václav Havel. The pretense of "just doing what it takes to win freedom for my people" pretense would be dropped and it would be a lovely corrupt kleptocracy masked by appeals to "belter culture" and held in place with brutality, purges, and even genocide.
That's all true, but she's just seen her people murdered on a vast scale.

I can see how that might push her back towards sympathising with the OPA, and temporarily blind her to the reasons she left those sympathies behind in the first place.

I'm not saying she's being rational. I'm saying she's angry and afraid and Dawes is nominally on her side.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Parallels between the IRA and Sinn Fein have been drawn before now, if that helps.

Fred is trying to legitimise the OPA politically, but he's not quite there in the show yet. It's more of an open secret he leads an OPA faction than anything else, Tycho Station is still technically under the control of the Tycho corporation. That's why he needed those missiles as leverage to get to the negotiating table with Earth and Mars.

Ironically, Dawes ousting the Earth governor and being put in charge of Ceres has given the OPA more legitimacy than any of Fred's gambits up to now.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Doesn't that make the Protomolecule the Romans?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Uh, Miller didn't get friendzoned.

He wore her down with negs like "YOU'RE AN ASTEROID NOW".

Playa.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Platystemon posted:

If it’s an automaton, it also follows that it cannot be a victim, so the Caliban metaphor doesn’t make sense either way around.
The protomolecule isn't Caliban, the hybrid soldiers are.

edit: didn't read the whole thread.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 30, 2017

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Eiba posted:

I was talking about those small solid chunks of rock and metal that are out there.
They're mostly not solid though, they're relatively loose amalgamations of debris.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Error 404 posted:

E: the "fighter pilots are also infantry/special forces for some reason" was pretty :wtc:, even when it first aired.
That's pretty common in TV sci fi.

In Star Trek, Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica (original and reboot!), starship bridge crews all moonlight as Seal Team Six for some inexplicable reason.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

The whole thing is very confusing I guess
That's because they made it up as they went along. That's why it gets a bit disjointed in later seasons, they're trying to reconcile all these different plot threads into a coherent whole, but they can't because half of it is random shite that just sounded cool at the time.

Wouldn't be so bad, but I distinctly remember them making a big thing about how they had this intricate story planned out in advance a la Babylon 5. Bullshitters!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

Did they? I thought I remember them not knowing which secret Cylon they were gonna reveal until the last minute.
Ron Moore talks about "series arcs" in his show bible, i.e. they were supposed to have the broad strokes of the entire show planned out well in advance. That was part of his pitch.

They eventually had to admit they didn't have a clue where the story was going, they didn't even plan to the end of a single season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Phi230 posted:

The marines are the crew, it's just a gunship meant to have a mother ship
It's not just a gunship, it's designed to operate independently for extended periods.

That's why it has its own workshop, armoury, and medical facilities.

• Locked thread