Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
This should've been the season finale last year. And even still we have a lot to cover to finish up the first book.

That said, I'm loving everything they're giving Avasaralah and Bobby Draper prior to their introductions in the books. It actually makes it seem like they were thought of from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

KatWithHands posted:

Everything I'm reading says the episode's already over, so I'm guessing you guys watching on SyFy actually DID get the promised limited ads. Funny, Space ran those as well, but we're still watching it on a normal schedule :sigh:

It must have been the case. That battle at the end there was supposedly in the second episode, so I suspect that we did get a full 2 episodes over the course of 95 minutes.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Axel Serenity posted:

I've never read the books so I dunno what happens on the whole, but I liked Bobbie. It was really just an intro to her, but I get the feeling she'll be a one-woman pain machine by the end of the season. Her actress just gives off that vibe, and it worked really well for being a new character.

Bobbie and Avasaralah actually aren't even introduced until the 2nd book. We're still only about 3/4 of the first book in the show. The interesting thing though is that they're not moving up their storylines. They're just showing what they were up to prior to their first introductions in the book.

Compared to The Magicians which is incredibly liberal with its adaptation of those books, The Expanse is so far fairly loyal to what we see in the books. They've dropped very little (like the origin of the armor the security forces were wearing on Eros), and introduced a lot of really great stuff in their place. On top of doing a little bit of weaving in character elements that we don't learn about until later in the book series, like Naomi's past.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Professor Shark posted:

Tom Janes and Amos continue to be the best parts of this show. I'm slogging my way through the latest book and those episodes reminded me that the series used to be sort of fun.

Yeah, it's kind of hard for the series to continue to be fun after a handful of terrorists kill 20 billion people.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ersatz posted:

How long after the episodes air do they show up on Amazon? Is there a chance of watching tonight's episode online?

Amazon is never consistent with a time. Sometimes they'll appear right at midnight, other times at like 5AM, and sometimes even later.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

flosofl posted:

Hahaha. Miller moving the bottle away. "I offered a snort, not many snorts"

E: Wait, are we on different airing schedules or are we not posting during airing? This thread seems quieter than I expected.

You need to give people time to tally up all the depiction of gravity in space mistakes. If we're lucky, there will be at least 2. That'll fuel heavy discussion for the next week.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
3 episodes into season 2, and we're still not done with book 1, but it looks like we're going to reach it next week or the week after. And with Bobby on her way to Ganymede, things are starting to fall into place for book 2.

Book spoilers about Eros: For a second there I thought the ring station was going to launch directly from Eros when the station was talking about building something, but it looks like we're still on track for a launch from Venus.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Spermanent Record posted:

I've just started reading Calibans's War. Does anyone know if Season 2 is sticking mostly to book one or should i finish up reading the series before i start watching?

There isn't much material left in book 1 for them to cover, maybe 1 or 2 episodes max. But then I think there is a good chance that they could finish book 2 this season, since they've been laying a lot of the groundwork for book 2 even if they haven't started covering the book itself yet. And since this season is 13 episodes instead of 10 like last season.

Book 2 ending spoilers: I can't really think of anything else from book 2 that could end the season any better than the launch of the Ring Gate. Maybe the battle between Mars and Earth forces? I guess the escape from Ganymede if they really want to draw out the events down there?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I never read Churn. There were enough clues about his past scattered throughout the 6 main books, as well as the episodes leading up to this week, that the spoilers in that interview from Churn are more just confirmation than an actual spoiler.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Dancer posted:

Hey book people, do we ever go back to Ceres? Because Anderson Dawes is my very favourite accent of the whole show and I miss his dulcet tones.

Fun fact: Anderson Dawes is played by Jared Harris. The father of Jared Harris is Richard Harris, the original Dumbledore.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, but you'll get that in any adaptation to T.V. or film, it's not exciting to watch a long transit time and it's rarely worth precious screen time to break it down. Now, since in the Expanse you can easily hit weeks or months of travel time depending on your destination it might be worth reinforcing that fact, but at the same time it's not like the characters make a big deal about it in the book. It's just "oh, we're going to be burning to this place for X long period of time? Cool let's go." and then the next chapter will have the character at their destination.

Enh, that's not really true. I'm going through the books for a second time, and they actually do make a big deal about travel time in the books all the time. Especially once the gates open up, and they start traveling to all the ring worlds. If I remember correctly, the Earth gate is beyond the reach of Pluto. So from Earth to Illus they say it takes 18 months.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

flosofl posted:

Right but I think the majority of that is due to the (book stuff again, sorry)Slow Zone around the gates. It limits anything with physical mass to 600 m/s. That's where the majority of your transit time is going to stack up.

Nope. Once Miller convinced the Ring Station to lift the restrictions, full speeds resumed. The name the Slow Zone for the area around the Rings and Medina Station simply stuck.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

MizPiz posted:

I think you guys are overestimating Bobbie's squad. They don't seem like they're an actual special forces unit, they're just arrogant grunts. Did I miss something or did the books establish them as being something different?

Books spoilers: People are really reading too much into Bobbie's squad. They all die in the next couple of episodes. Bobbie's story is dealing with her PTSD and learning how to deal with her life after she leaves the Martian Marine Corps.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Apoffys posted:

Why are people so keen on posting book spoilers on every single page of these threads? I've read the books, so it doesn't spoil anything for me personally, but this doesn't seem like a good place to be discussing the books.

There's a separate thread for the books here, which is probably better suited to discussing them:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787256

But people aren't talking about the books. We're talking about the show in relation to the books. And I think people have been very good about using spoiler tags.

Over in the book thread that you linked to, people are pretty much exclusively talking about the latest book. And it's not even a very active thread. Taking show spoilers over into the book thread is only going to result in the exact same complaint you have right now. People who haven't seen the show yet are going to get upset about any discussion about the show because they don't want to know how things get translated from book to screen.

Bigger shows like Game of Thrones warrant separate threads for book readers, but The Expanse is not Game of Thrones.

So until The Expanse becomes the most talked about show in the nation where 2 separate threads for the show is warranted, then as long as people continue to appropriately use spoiler tags, then we don't have a problem here.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The launch of the Nauvoo is far more epic than I ever imagined in the books. I like this plan.

The tug boats all launching out of Tycho Station. The way the scaffolding melted in the wake of the Nauvoo's engines. This is neat!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Yeah, the executive producers seem to have a lot of respect for the source material. Even to the point that the authors help write the show.

SyFy wants to get away from the dreck they've been putting out over the last decade, and want to be taken seriously again as a network. So if that means that they try and go with the Game of Thrones model, then they're all for it.

Aside from the Magicians, are there any other big projects that SyFy is working on?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Yup. It's why it's so shocking.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lack of Gravitas posted:

So do the space mormons get the Navoo back and go off to make a better world somewhere else? :ohdear:

Book spoilers about the Nauvoo: Fred Johnson recaptures the Nauvoo and converts it into a warship for the OPA.

Inspector 34 posted:

book stuff: Was the original plan to crash into Eros? I thought I remembered the plan being to do it more tugboat style and steer Eros into the sun with the Nauvoo's enormous drives.

No, it happened the same way in the book as the show.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 17, 2017

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah there's nothing slow about this season and if they jam all of book two into it it'll stay that way.

Book with show continuity spoilers: In their reddit AMA, the writers of the books confirmed that season 2 will not conclude with the end of book 2, but they would not confirm where it would end. I desperately hope we don't spend the entirety of the rest of season 2 on Ganymede, but other than that their escape from that moon, I can't think of any other possible season ender other than the end of book 2 in the battle over Io.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, I mean if you want a cliffhanger for next season that could do it, I can think of a few other things happening at around that time in the book with various characters that would be at least passable.

I wouldn't mind them throwing a curveball and moving parts of the end of book 2 up so they happen earlier, that could be pretty effective.

Book spoilers:I just want to see the loving ring.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'm a big fan of the books and don't personally care about ~spoilers~ for myself, but really please quit posting major spoilers here, even with tags. I'm not a regular tviv poster so I don't know the norms, but I imagine they handled it better than this in something like the game of thrones thread. The show is way, way behind the books and you can really gently caress up some people's experience. There's an ok thread in book barn for you to talk about poo poo from later books. It's dumb as hell, everyone who asks "Hey does this happen?" could Google it if they actually wanted to know, and it doesn't serve any purpose but getting your tiny dick hard at the fact that you know something about a fictional setting that someone else doesn't.

Platystemon posted:

In the future, yeah, take it to the book thread.

If you have a dying need to know the answer to something particular but don’t want to risk seeing spoilers for everything in the book thread, I’ll answer PMs.

No.

This has been discussed before. The book thread is mostly dead, and has only been talking about the latest book that most fans read when it came out 3 months ago and have since mostly stopped going to the thread.

If you do begin talking about the show there, it won't take long for someone to start complaining that they haven't seen the show yet and that they don't want any show spoilers there either.

And Game of Thrones is one of the most popular book series and television shows in the world. The Expanse is nowhere near that level of popularity, it doesn't warrant two separate threads for the same show.

People have been very good about using appropriate use of spoiler tags. If you don't want something spoiled, don't hover over the spoiler.

If someone doesn't use spoiler tags on genuine spoilers, then report them. And no, talking about what one of the actors said during an interview regarding something that has already happened in the show doesn't constitute genuine spoilers.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Eiba posted:

There's way less discussion there

That's all reason I need. You can't fault people for wanting to participate in an active conversation, instead of speaking to the void.

Eiba posted:

I don't know what ~the rules~ are or should be, but basic consideration would suggest book readers should discuss book/show differences in the book thread, unless they're deliberately contextualizing things for show watchers.

People are already being considerate by using spoiler tags. That's why they exist.

Mental Hospitality posted:

I haven't read any of the books and this thread hasn't spoiled the show for me one bit. So thank you all for your discretion.

Thank you. See? The spoiler tags work!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

404notfound posted:

I think I mentioned this before, but I'm disappointed at the pre-book scenes with Bobbie because they've already demonstrated in season 1 that they can write great pre-book stuff with Avasarala. Normally I would be willing to give a TV adaptation a pass for that, but the Expanse has raised the bar significantly.

I think the issue is that the first book didn't give the Earth perspective. Obviously somebody on Earth was dealing with the Holden situation. It made sense to give that role to Avasarala. What she was doing felt relevant to the overall plot.

Whereas Bobbie, before she becomes relevant to the plot, what could she be doing? She isn't anyone of any importance. She's a cog in the machine. I understand that they wanted to introduce her to get the audience used to her as a character, but by giving her nothing to do other than interact with her crew, she ended up feeling useless.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Orange Red Bull posted:

for a second i thought that was will wheaton

That was my first thought too. I definitely recognized him, and it was difficult to figure out because he went uncredited in the episode. He is actor Sam Huntington. Sam Huntington of Tim Allen's Jungle 2 Jungle fame.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 2, 2017

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ATP_Power posted:

The actor who plays Dawes is loving perfect, and I'm so happy they're using him more in the show than in the books.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

uber_stoat posted:

I bought the full season through Amazon and once I happened to be up late and the ep popped up around 2am central time.

Amazon is notoriously inconsistent about what time they release episodes purchased on a season pass. I've bought season passes before, and have had them sometimes at midnight, sometimes at 3am, sometimes not until noon the next day.

• Locked thread