Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Have seen this worn on post. By an AIT student.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/hateshaliek/status/829097929080123392

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/pftompkins/status/848982344111280130

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/wyatt_privilege/status/851604832775360513

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/nedoliver/status/863847759614541824

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/866659672744448000

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/BenjaminAhr/status/871087221662769152

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

:eyepop:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/emmaroller/status/891409130572873728

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
How'd I not know about this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa39v3WAAbY

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pesticide20 posted:

Do you normally listen to ICP?

Well, no, but I still figured this song would've come up sooner in here or CSPAM.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Annabelle Eichmann.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
That was painful.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zeris posted:

“We can’t allow civilian courts to prosecute rapists in the military because it sets a precedent”

We do allow civilian courts to prosecute rapists if they have jurisdiction. And then if civilian courts refuse, military can pursue it. You probably know this, but it's one of those things that gets massively misrepresented all the time by people who either do know better and don't care if they lie about it or absolutely should know better.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Was this a thing? I don't remember anything like this.

Not as stated. What has come up a few times and not been passed thus far, is the idea that rape/sexual assault should be 100% removed from the purview of the UCMJ and placed strictly into civilian courts.

My view of pros/cons:

Pros:

-If you've got an insanely corrupt chain of command, they can't look at solid evidence and say "nah, I don't wanna pursue that." This happened a few times in the past. But now people read "commander discretion" and think some captain with 4 years in is making that call, when in reality that stuff is all held at the CG level and my experience is that they'd rather try a rough case and lose than not try a case. Now, in a case where it was clear the person had mental health issues (claimed to be raped by an NCO, then the MPs the soldier reported it to, then the doctor who examined the soldier, then some random civilian who was never alone with the soldier), charges aren't pressed.
-Optics of saying military members have the same representation as civilians

Cons:
-It's been my anecdotal experience that CID will put a shitload of time and effort into a more minor case, such as an unwanted slap on the rear end, compared to what we'd see from local cops.
-Where I last commanded, local cops were very quick to go "gently caress it" and stop investigating if there was any kind of alcohol involved, unless there was also a minor involved or it was a knock-down dragout violent assault rape from a stranger. Something like 2 out of 3 rape convictions landed at that post had been passed up by local PD/DAs. Cue someone saying this is a bad witch-hunt without evidence. The cases I saw weren't, really, but I'm not a lawyer.
-Local law varies, and it works for UCMJ to have one standard rule. There's no state where rape is legal, but, right or wrong, the UCMJ has decided that taking photo/video of someone who reasonably could expect privacy, while undressed (underwear or less), is a sex crime. Not all states do last I checked. This gives commands the ability to wreck someone who's a peeping tom or secretly films their sexual plights or roommates. However, it also means that if the commanders have some leeway. Let's say there's concrete evidence that, say, a new trainee roommate took a photo of someone in their opaque underwear, and that CID evaluation of the phone showed that it definitely happened, but was not habitual, and there were no nudes. By letter of law, could've made that person a sex offender for life and their home state has some brutal rules about sex offenders. Instead, the command, from company to BN to BDE to CG, collectively came to the conclusion that we should just scare the poo poo out of this person by making clear just how much we could have ruined their whole life, and then we kicked them out of the army and sent them home without a lifelong, no-redress sex offender status. So I guess I'm on some list of people who didn't process a charge we could have nailed down easily.

edit to add:

-Just look at the college status of sexual assault/rape. For gently caress's sake.
-The military (Army at least) now has special victim counsels (lawyers) who can directly work the legal system to help victims, outside of the actual case. We had someone show up essnetially unannounced from another unit, placed on "do not gently caress with this person at all" status, and sent home in the course of like 72 hours. I called my JAG, because it looked like shady poo poo or a coverup, but my JAG was able contact the special victim counsel, who cleared up that this is what the victim wanted, and they were done with the Army and going home RIGHT NOW while the perpetrator awaited trial.

Probably more, but that was a lot of typing.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 27, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

McNally posted:

It's been my anecdotal experience that CID couldn't find their own rear end with two hands and a map. During their investigation into my wife's death, I told the investigating agent that I had told her it was okay if she quit her job because I know how much she hated it. The report stated that I said that I had quit my job.

I've also heard from JAGs that CIDs vary by post/command quite a lot. Everything I saw from CID on that base was extremely well organized, thorough, and very good at getting poo poo done while keeping commands out of it as much as necessary.

The MPs, on the other hand, oh boy...........

Thanks, Mr. Civilian MP for wandering into a barracks and basically telling the suicidal dude that if he doesn't just man up, the MPs will jail him and insinuate that they'd beat his rear end or worse. Now please get the gently caress out of my barracks, we'll handle this ourselves now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

There are probably a lot of informal ways to gently caress with him, but so far his violations include things like "wore uniform wrong" or "made political statement in uniform." Being a communist is not illegal. But it's probably pretty easy if they want to strip clearance and trust while they investigate him and just put him on every lovely little detail and crummy OPORD. He's gonna get real good at coordinating command inspections, safety days, and the ball!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

cowboy elvis posted:

Strip sack, Miller.

Like I know I shouldn't be laughing, but I'm just kind of imagining gunfire opens up and then this happens in response and the day is saved?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po6MbJ2kwEU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I'm honestly curious about this picture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ely4a2saeTA

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Ugh what the gently caress is that

It's some loving insane children's book published by a Hillary mega-fan. It's been pretty roundly mocked by a bunch of women and POC for being utterly, stupidly tone-deaf and ignoring tons of other important activists who did a helluva lot more good for the world than Hillary before she'd even been born.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

:perfect:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Muh' Heritage!

Now-gone statue in New Orleans.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm going to start a Church of Santa, Santanic Temple maybe. We're going to worship Santa in exchange for consumer goods, and point out the weak connections between Christmas and Jesus.

This is the most "gently caress you" I've ever really felt about any christmas movie. I didn't watch it, but listened to a flophouse podcast about it. It's basically just a super tortured interpretation of the Bible and Jesus' teachings to support not feeling bad about being super duper rich and going whole hog on consumerism, capitalism, and pagan symbols.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5-yA66kaVc

Biblical Jesus would be running around that movie set yelling and knocking poo poo over.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
They sometimes introduce themselves, then sit in a mock-up fob for a year and then a new group repeats next year.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/colinag5/status/963524806648979457

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

yeah i'm breaking my rule but this is more about how stupid political cartoonists get

Ha, idiots, there’s no rear sight on that gun and furthermore

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

shame on an IGA posted:

pull up thread

I was being very facetious, not actually getting all technical about guns.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Syrian Lannister posted:

Please say this is for the piss tape, and not 911 dispatchers

Frank Castle will punish you if you cross the point of sale and try to say you were just going back for a hand basket.

Loss Prevention Thin Yellow Line oohrah hooah God bless ‘Merica.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

The meme poo poo is dumb as hell, but if your position is to ban something you should at least know what that something is.

Meh. If you’re writing legislation by all means.

If you’re joe activist and gently caress up M&P-15 vs M16-A3, it’s probably worth arguing the ideas vs the tech specs a bit.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I can hear the smug grimace as he hits post and throws on a fedora.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Ali_Kourani/status/979785426117496835

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Of course the army found a way to make a bad meme worse.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’d like to think it’s parody, but my faith in humanity is too low.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Not the General Sherman but good.