Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It’s close but I’ve definitely noticed a difference between officers and enlisted on how they view Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The combat arms branches of the Army are full of southerners that love their confederate flags.

It's the only political thing I have absolutely no problem confronting people about at work because the confederacy literally fought the US Army so that they could keep having slaves. Confronted over treason AND EO/racist bullshit? All they can do is sulk about it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The officer and enlisted divide seems a lot.... stricter?.... in the Marines and Navy compared to the Army. The Air Force on the other hand will have an E2 talking to a LTC about how their weekend was.

Just my impressions from my brief experiences working with the other services.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

That's originally an instagram post and there's actually a lot of recent meme pages started by bitter and jaded officers over the past year or so and that's one of them.

I think this one is my favorite

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

We used to have a Ft. Sherman, Panama too, I lived there for 3 years as a kid.

Army officers seem to be almost universally Union Army fanboys, don't think I've ever met one with outspoken confederate sympathies, even ones from the South like myself.

Don't think I've ever heard an NCO or enlisted Soldier discus anything related to the Civil War. Comes up a lot in junior officer professional development though, especially for the cavalry scouts. Every cavalry officer in the Army knows about John Buford and his role during Gettysburg.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

Yeah, they trace it back to frontiersmen patrolling between trading posts and the French and Indian war with Roger's Rangers, but bring up any raiding group as ancestors to the modern regiment (francis marion "the swamp fox" in the revolutionary war etc), and of course all the modern patches and DUI are related to the Rangers in europe and merrill's marauders in SE Asia. There were some rangers on the union side, but they barely get any mention in the Ranger history they teach in RIP/RASP.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...PS7LhiBjMB37Wr6

Fort Benning is in the middle of hick territory, checks out.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Majestic.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Godholio posted:

GULF OF HATE

I helped a buddy move from Texas back to Tampa last year and Gulf of Hate is definitely an accurate name for the gulf coast. So many dirty looks being the only guy wearing a mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Well you've got the battalion commander spouting a bunch of empty praise, the sergeant major threatening mass punishment, and the major that really, really wants to make his and his bosses OERs look good by making sure all of those boxes are green.

Basically every battalion command team in the Army.