Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

That's from 2016.

it says right there 2017!!!

6 - the number of lib dem MPs voting against brexit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Forgive me if I am skeptical here, maybe I just don't know enough about the UK parliamentary system, but this was wayyyyyy too much of a "roll over and show my belly" act to believe that Labour will actually get hardline about amendments later if they didn't do poo poo until now.

There is no 'hardline' about amendments. Either they are supported by Tory rebels, or they fail. Labour has zero leverage to force amendments through.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Other than actually voting en-masse to block A50 which, well, I think would be political suicide.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So 47 Labour MP's voted against, and a number abstained including Diane Abbot.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

No whip applied by Labour on the governments programme motion but only 40 odd Labour MPs voted against it

https://mobile.twitter.com/ParlyApp/status/826879839865040896

Yep loads of time

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

JFairfax posted:

it says right there 2017!!!

6 - the number of lib dem MPs voting against brexit

Sorry I'm full of poo poo - [url=http://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/25/politics/donald-trump-megyn-kelly-iowa-rally/]it was 2015[url].

God that election campaign feels like a long dream that you become more and more alarmed you can't wake up from as the people all turn into snake beings that eat children.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

jabby posted:

But apparently you can come back fairly rapidly, which is probably what's going to happen. More ridiculous tradition bollocks.

At the end of the day I have sympathy for Corbyn on this. Not whipping would have been a PR disaster and would have genuinely demonstrated weak leadership. Labour needs a position on Brexit, and 'it's going to happen but we want the best one' is about as good as a position can get. Corbyn is still the only left-wing hope for Labour, it would be loving stupid for people to abandon him over something that is, at best, a symbolic vote.

Yeah, but a three line whip over a symbolic measure? That's insane. Corbyn's lost a lot of trust I'd had in him over this.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Abbot is apparently ill so probably shouldn't be classed as 'rebelling' but either way thats a fair few labour MP's and 3 whips who defied Corbyn.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Five hours to debate amendments setting negotiating priorities, a victory for the opposition...

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

kustomkarkommando posted:

Five hours to debate amendments setting negotiating priorities, a victory for the opposition...

No one is going to change their minds based on what is said in the house, it's the longer term thinking or just short term obedience which will determine what the Tories accept and vote for.

Hell they could let a few rebels get them passed and then blame Labour for whatever happens afterwards due to Labours backstabbing or something.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

namesake posted:

No one is going to change their minds based on what is said in the house, it's the longer term thinking or just short term obedience which will determine what the Tories accept and vote for.

I don't think the official opposition should think like that as its kind of their duty to challenge the government in parliament by you know talking a lot

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I don't think the official opposition should think like that as its kind of their duty to challenge the government in parliament by you know talking a lot

It doesn't take that long to stand up and say 'Giving the government a free hand without these conditions will be bad, vote for this amendments to make it good'. After a few hours it'll get repetitive.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if they voted for a fast debate so they didn't have to go to work very long.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

namesake posted:

It doesn't take that long to stand up and say 'Giving the government a free hand without these conditions will be bad, vote for this amendments to make it good'. After a few hours it'll get repetitive.

I don't think the opposition should actively vote to curtail the amount of time to make speeches and harangue the government

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

jabby posted:

There is no 'hardline' about amendments. Either they are supported by Tory rebels, or they fail. Labour has zero leverage to force amendments through.

Then maybe don't talk to me about how amendments come at a later stage??? Just a thought.

I mean if I say "welp article 50 approved without amendments, we're hosed" and the answer is "actually amendments come later", but then it turns out "actually there's no way in hell amendments will get approved", well.... maybe that's what I meant?

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 1, 2017

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

I don't think the opposition should actively vote to curtail the amount of time to make speeches and harangue the government

While calling them idiots in parliamentary language might be personally enjoyable they can just step outside and release as many statements as they like to the press. The only really important thing in the HoC is the voting and getting a sick burn on someone which makes the news.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Then maybe don't talk to me about how amendments come at a later stage??? Just a thought.

Labour wants to amend the bill and not block it, so they will be voting for amendments. Voting against the bill at this stage would be voting to block it. You might say they should try to block it, I'm not sure why 'amendments come later and can't be forced through' is a difficult concept.

EDIT: I didn't say amendments wouldn't pass, I said they can't be forced through by Labour. Saying they should be more 'hardline' is meaningless.

jabby fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 1, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Labour wants to amend the bill and not block it, so they will be voting for amendments. Voting against the bill at this stage would be voting to block it. You might say they should try to block it, I'm not sure why 'amendments come later and can't be forced through' is a difficult concept.

I've already told you. These amendments aren't going to happen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh well now that you say it it's settled.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

OwlFancier posted:

What Pissflaps says is, and usually is, at least realistic.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Trying to get amendments passed after you made the strongest show in the world that you're willing to super-mega-roll-over, three-whippingly-fuckingly-strongly, is kind of the same as accepting a job for a certain salary saying "but I hope I can count on you to get a 100% raise after six months! but hahaha no big deal". Just not gonna loving happen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think the thread has a problem with an absence of depressive realism.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

You're attempting to rationalise Corbyn's actions by pinning your hopes on fanciful amendments that aren't going to be added to the bill. Labour are not opposing Brexit. They're not opposing this bill. They're doing gently caress all about t.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

Trying to get amendments passed after you made the strongest show in the world that you're willing to super-mega-roll-over, three-whippingly-fuckingly-strongly, is kind of the same as accepting a job for a certain salary saying "but I hope I can count on you to get a 100% raise after six months! but hahaha no big deal". Just not gonna loving happen.

That... isn't really how our government works though.

If you want to pass a bill with amendments, you have to support the bill until it gets to the amendment stage. If you have the facility you may then threaten to attempt to block it in order to force amendments through if the government cannot command a majority for whatever reason, but you are still dependent upon getting the bill to the amendment stage.

Your other option would be to block the bill and try to get it reintroduced on your terms but good luck doing that with a minority of members and with the government now being really loving pissed that you showed them up the first time.

If it sounds silly, well, our system of government is silly. The commons isn't designed to act as a check on itself in cases of majority governments. There is no control for that. Other than the house of lords who have limited power as an actual check on the government. It may be that they can get amendments passed but there ultimately just isn't a strong mechanism for stopping a majority government doing whatever it wants to.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 1, 2017

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

The constantly bungling leader of the Labour Party has bungled one of the most challenging political events the country has faced in decades? who would have thought?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
You've been banging on about opposing the bill being pointless because labour have a minority of MPs - but your genius plans involved 'threatening to block' it at the amendment stage?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

You seem to be implying that by threatening to vote against the bill Labour would have a better chance of getting amendments passed, which is simply untrue.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

You've been banging on about opposing the hill being pointless because labour have a minority of MPs - but your genius plans involved 'threatening to block' it at the amendment stage?

"If you have the facility"

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

"If you have the facility"

So your plan is for labour to not oppose the bill at any stage.

Brilliant.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Labour can't meaningfully oppose the bill you dolt you know that perfectly well. They can vote however they like and the only effect it will have is on public perception.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

I hope Tim Farron is repeatedly reminded that as a percentage, more Lib Dem MP's rebelled against his instructions than Labour MP's against Corbyn.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Labour can't meaningfully oppose the bill you dolt. They can vote however they like and the only effect it will have is on public perception.

Tell me what you think the point of the Opposition is, smart lad.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrlcTFV2Q6c

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Pissflaps posted:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

namesake posted:

While calling them idiots in parliamentary language might be personally enjoyable they can just step outside and release as many statements as they like to the press. The only really important thing in the HoC is the voting and getting a sick burn on someone which makes the news.

Labour has been talking up how the amendment stage is the "real agenda" and the important parliamentary battle is the committee stage. Why vote to trim that down to a fast track timetable? If it's the centrepeice of your tactic you want to draw it out

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

This is quickly becoming ironic because recently Pissflaps has been pretty correct whenever this .gif has been deployed in retort.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Only one Tory rebel: Ken Clarke.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

I have to say it's making my head spin a lot that we started this whole thing with "Support Corbyn for a leader who will actually oppose the Government's evil plans!" and now we're not a million miles away from "Support Corbyn for a leader who recognises that we can't possibly oppose the Government's evil plans!"

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Trin Tragula posted:

I have to say it's making my head spin a lot that we started this whole thing with "Support Corbyn for a leader who will actually oppose the Government's evil plans!" and now we're not a million miles away from "Support Corbyn for a leader who recognises that we can't possibly oppose the Government's evil plans!"

The cherry in top is Corbyn supposedly being the leader who does the 'right' thing, not the populist thing.

And the people who supported him for that are now supporting this populist stance on Brexit.

He could poo poo on their cat and they'd nod sagely and agree that it was the nuanced, principled thing to do.

What a loving mess he's made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

TinTower posted:

Only one Tory rebel: Ken Clarke.

Did the Tories use a whip?

• Locked thread