Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
If you want him dead,shoot him in the face. gently caress subtlety.

Oldcastle's faction is obviously the Brotherhood of Nod.
We, on the other hand, with our xeno-linguistic training, have a headstart on founding the Cult of Planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Outrail posted:

Wd should find a group of rational non-idiots and ask them to form a body guard for us. With the prior captain, the future president and so many military police dead it's pretty obvious we're the next target of things go south for him.

Buuuuut. This is a ship. It relies on so much technology, all it would take is a glitch for the captain and half his loyal supporters to be fried alive or exposed to the void of space as a valve goes wrong. Just saying. Befriend the engineers/masters behind the electronic curtain.

You and Yurika have always gotten along well. Short of leading a mutiny you can probably count on her assistance without needing to ask.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

LLSix posted:

You and Yurika have always gotten along well. Short of leading a mutiny you can probably count on her assistance without needing to ask.

Is murdering a superior officer considered mutiny if you just don't like the guy?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Outrail posted:

Is murdering a superior officer considered mutiny if you just don't like the guy?

Yes

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

From what we can tell right now, how are the other important officers taking to Oldcastle's style of command and his investigation? Have any of them been interrogated like we have?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Were the dead colonists fingerprinted? Do we have Nwabudike and Dubois fingerprints? Whedon?

Did Dr. Horrible ever investigate year 400? How many spare cold sleep beds did we launch with? Can we verify that they weren't ever in use?

... Why would the cold sleep beds NOT contain fingerprints? Why wouldn't the partial print be from a contractor?

:psyduck:

Anyway, A as gently caress. Tell him to check the Captain's safe if there is one.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

From what we can tell right now, how are the other important officers taking to Oldcastle's style of command and his investigation? Have any of them been interrogated like we have?
None of the officers have come grumbling to you but...

LLSix posted:

CommanderCaptain Oldcastle half stands and for a minute it looks like he's going to metaphorically chew your head off, but then he relaxes back into his seat and rubs his eyes tiredly. "I am not willing to let a murderer run free on my ship. Nor am I willing to subject the passengers to numerous broken bones which is a certainty if we try to get them out of their pods quickly in high g. If we must land the passengers spread out across the planet then so be it. At least they will be alive and not dead without ever waking up. Your objection is noted, but unless you have a better idea of how to catch the greatest murderer in our history, my decision stands. Does anyone else want their objection noted in the logs?" Chief Engineer Yurika Pavlovich Korolev, Chaplain Freya Silvstedt, Navigator Dana Anders, and Botanist Jennifer Skye all note their objections. One or two others look like they were thinking about it but decided not to. "Very well, your objections and your lack of interest in finding the killer of our dear captain are noted."

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Have any of [the officers] been interrogated like we have?
You're not part of the investigation, but you'd guess everyone who was on your suspect list has been interrogated at least once in addition to the interviews you did.

Volmarias posted:

Were the dead colonists fingerprinted? Do we have Nwabudike and Dubois fingerprints? Whedon?

Did Dr. Horrible ever investigate year 400? How many spare cold sleep beds did we launch with? Can we verify that they weren't ever in use?

... Why would the cold sleep beds NOT contain fingerprints? Why wouldn't the partial print be from a contractor?

:psyduck:

Anyway, A as gently caress. Tell him to check the Captain's safe if there is one.
You aren't part of the investigation, so you do not know the answer to any of these questions. Except that you know you launched with 12 spare cold sleep beds. 10 planned and 2 from crew members who were lost in the Paris riots.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 10, 2017

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Round up the dissenting officers and put forth the reasonably likely scenario that CAPTAIN CAPTAIN put a delayed hit on REAL CAPTAIN before going back into cryosleep, so he'd be frozen when the deed was done and thus not be suspected. Thus he is obviously guilty as hell and we need to off his rear end.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Well poo poo. Check the spare cold sleep beds, and their logs. Do we have a stowaway?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Outrail posted:

Well poo poo. Check the spare cold sleep beds, and their logs. Do we have a stowaway?

That's what I was thinking.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The logs would have been wiped, and Dr. Killinger was using them for experimentation anyway.

I'm leaning towards "the totally perfect and could never fail" technology failed.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Can we leak the rumour the the fingerprint belongs to the coup leader Captain which he is trying to suppress at the cost of his sanity?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Wherever there is a design that is highly successful in a broad range of similar environments, it is apt to emerge again and again, independently - the phenomenon known in biology as convergent evolution. These repeated patterns map out a path to success for those with the wit to follow them.
-Doctor Drake Moreau, Fragments of Memory

You tell Oldcastle that you don't know anything about any weapons besides the non-lethal equipment all the MPs know about. If Hardrock had weapons, maybe he kept them in the Captain's safe? Oldcastle eyes you suspiciously for several long minutes, but it seems he finally decided to believe you.

It seems like Hardrock was right. Oldcastle does have his own secret stash of weapons. You feel lucky that he hasn't issued them to the MPs yet. If they're anything like the weapons you know about, they could punch fatally large holes in the Herald's hull in short order if they were used on board the ship.

The the most popular topic of conversation amongst the colonists has been what your new planet will be like, closely followed by how to organize their new colony. With their elected leaders dead before arrival, everything is up in the air again. For the most part, factions have formed behind the charismatic and brilliant ship's officers on whom they depend for survival, but one of the passengers has persuaded some of their fellows to his own views. Because you've devoted a significant amount of your on and off duty time to helping the passengers. Many of them look to you for leadership now.

1) Which faction do you support?

A. UNS Preservers & Commander Ernest Oldcastle
The Preservers, or loyalists as they call themselves, have rallied around Commander Captain Oldcastle. They are primarily interested in safety from threats both internal and external. Most are genuinely passionate about finding the murderer and protecting their loved ones from perceived threats. Some follow Oldcastle just because he is the captain and feel that he shouldn't give up military command of the mission to civilian authorities. All of the MPs, including Jim Hamill, and a majority of the crew of the Herald fall into this camp. Many of the passengers in this faction have been deputized into serving as a police force and helping to adjudicate minor disputes because there just aren't enough officers to handle everything. Their catch phrase is "An armed society is a polite society."

B.The Unfettered & Doctor Drake Moreau
Many colonists see Doctor Moreau's medical expertise as their only hope of survival on a world awash in new diseases and other pathogens. He has been quick to emphasize these dangers and the need for scientists like himself to be able to act unfettered by societal constraints. A plurality of the scientists and medical professionals on board are in this faction. The message has a broad appeal outside those fields as well because everyone is familiar with the many times in Earth history where science has been needlessly prevented from making the lives of everyone better. The unfettered want a technocratic society where all their leaders are well educated and experts in their respective fields. Their catch phrase is "Better living through science."

C. Second Chancers & Chief Engineer Yurika Pavlovich Korolev
Yurika has made a persuasive argument that we should learn from the mistakes of our past. That this colony is a unique opportunity to build a society that won't repeat the same mistakes that were causing Earth to fall into chaos when we left. She wants to minimize human impact on the ecosystems of the new planet and work with, not against, those same systems so that your descendants won't find themselves living on a world running out of everything the way the people left behind on Earth are. Naturally, many of the engineers follow her. While there are fewer scientific Second Chancers than Unfettered, there are slightly more of them than in the other three factions. Botanist Jennifer Skye counts herself amongst this group. Their catch phrase is "Plan for the future, today."

D. The Children of God & Chaplain Freya Silvstedt
The Children of God want to create a society focused on spiritual growth and individual well being. Most of the more religious and generous members of the colonists follow Chaplain Freya Silvstedt. The chaplain is a reformed unitarian and has somehow convinced individuals of many disparate faiths to work together. The Children are the most welcoming of the factions, and have won more than one convert with their gentle patience. Their catch phrase is: "Love your neighbour as yourself."

E. The Magnates & Colonist Nweismuller Meyerson
The magnates are the only faction to not form around one of the ship's officers. You've heard that Nweismuller Meyerson was a trillionaire back on Earth and he seems to be angling for the some position here. The Magnates want to create a capitalist paradise where every individual is free to accrue as much wealth as they can imagine. They argue that with robots capable of performing so many basic tasks, there's no reason everyone can't live like kings. You don't have enough robots for people to not work immediately after landing, but they insist that its only a matter of building enough robots with the auto-fabricators until everyone who wants to live like a CEO, can. Even Yurika will admit grudgingly that the auto-fabricators could be used that way. Their catchphrase is "Live in the now."

F. Myself (optionally write in what you think the core organizational principles of the colony should be.)

G. I tell people we should stick to the original mission charter and just hold elections again. (Oldcastle says he'll do this once the killer is caught).

H. I avoid committing to or against any faction for now.
write in

2) You can ask any of the faction leaders/members questions if you want.

AJ_Impy posted:

Can we leak the rumour the the fingerprint belongs to the coup leader Captain which he is trying to suppress at the cost of his sanity?
Yes, if enough people vote for it. You are always welcome to write in a completely different course of action if you want. I've got a framework for the ship and the world; as well as personalities or at least objections for everyone you meet. Other than that I rarely plan more than a post or two ahead. I really don't know what is going to happen even a week ahead. Discovering what happens along with you all is a lot of what makes this fun for me. Reading plans I'd never have thought of and crazy theories is most of the rest of it.

Outrail posted:

Volmarias posted:

The logs would have been wiped, and Dr. Killinger was using them for experimentation anyway.

I'm leaning towards "the totally perfect and could never fail" technology failed.
Eight of the spare cold sleep beds appear to have been modified to preserve some sort of petri-dish looking things. Logs indicate that the cold sleep beds were turned on in the thousandth year of your voyage and were on for the first 90 years of every cycle there-after. They petri-dish's are currently empty and the beds turned off.

2 of the 4 remaining beds have had their logs wiped. The last 2 beds have extremely boring logs showing that the beds were never turned on.

You are not supposed to be investigating things like this. You know that Oldcastle suspects you more than most and your recent actions in building a power base out of the passengers hasn't helped any.

3) Do you tell anyone what you found about the cold sleep beds?
O. No, I keep it to myself
P. I tell Jennifer Skye and ask her if there's any way to tell if the beds were used, like all the crew she liked Hardrock and will probably tell Oldcastle
Q. P, but I tell Doctor Moreau, he'll probably tell Oldcastle
R. I tell Oldcastle
S. I tell the Master-at-Arms. He'll definitely tell Oldcastle and probably tell him about my involvement.
T. I tell Navigator Dana Anders and ask him to keep my name out of it.
U. I spread rumors about what I found
write in

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
C. We need long-range planning for this colony to be successful. Not just in terms of environmental impact, but the infrastructure that we put in place for the colony needs to be designed with 100 years down the line in mind, not 10.
T. Anders owes us so we can probably convince him to keep quiet about our involvement, and this is a way to make sure the information gets to where it needs to.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 10, 2017

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
C, P

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

1. changed vote below
3. U

Ask Moreau and Meyerson what they think of each other.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 11, 2017

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

C,U

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Ask Moreau and Meyerson what they think of each other.[/b]

"Meyerson is a short-sighted fool without even the wit to study something useful. It's a pity he's managed to convince so many to trust him. They'll be lost without my medicines to save them."

"Moreau is a uniquely gifted scientist. It's a shame he's convinced so many to follow him. A rising tide does not lift all boats, as we saw on Earth. I expect there'll be a lot more losers than winners if he has his way. Everyone has a talent that can make them rich if they exploit it, but not everyone can study hemoglobin panels all day without going insane. No insult intended Lieutenant Commander, but I doubt many could have retained their sanity after what you and the other crew went through to get us here. I am eternally grateful for what you and the others have done for us. If you could speak to the other colonists on my behalf, my gratitude after landing would have few limits."

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 10, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
F: The Humanists - We believe in the safeguarding of our species and our freedoms against all threats, internal and external. We are diametrically opposed to any attempt to form a tyrannical or despotic government and will actively and fervently work against any who mistreat even one fellow member of our species. Everyone has free will, freedom of speech, freedom to make of themselves what they will, provided they do no harm to another human being that is not actively trying to break that rule first. We strongly encourage going forth and multiplying, a relatively decentralised society, and we insist upon safeguards, checks and balances on those who would seek to lead. We are free, and we intend to stay that way.

T*- Use this to discredit Moreau, work on turning his successor against Oldcastle, then have Oldcastle ruled unfit for command on medical, psychological grounds. Assume control and prioritize keeping everyone together and safely landed.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
All of these factions are loving stupid. Isn't there any moderates on board? I'm leaning towards the hippies and the lazy machine lovers. Theres no reason we can't have both, why overpopulated this planet if we can just keep the population small and live in a luxurious post scarcity future?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
"All these factions are loving stupid" is the number one reason for new factions to form. Write one up!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Who are Moreau's most important subordinates and supporters? Same for Meyerson?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Outrail posted:

why overpopulated this planet if we can just keep the population small and live in a luxurious post scarcity future?

Current total human population is a shade over 70,000. You can fit that in a single mid-sized town, or one - tenth of a Luxembourg. There are a terrifyingly tiny amount of humans left.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Who are Moreau's most important subordinates and supporters? Same for Meyerson?

Quartermaster Jane Bean is often seen in the company of Meyerson. Meyerson is also often accompanied by a giant of a man with flaming red hair referred to as Kandahar. Kandahar's gaze is constantly moving; you don't think there's much he doesn't notice. A number of people who owned small businesses back on earth; as well as a lot of the younger (early twenties) colonists, support him.

Moreau is assisted by physicist Sarah Louise, and Jacob Brown. Jacob Brown is one of the passengers who was a botanist back on earth.

I'm not sure if that answers your question? Feel free to ask more questions.

AJ_Impy posted:

Current total human population is a shade over 70,000. You can fit that in a single mid-sized town, or one - tenth of a Luxembourg. There are a terrifyingly tiny amount of humans left.

60,287. A bunch of the colonist sleep pods either failed or were sabotaged. Oldcastle said they were sabotaged, but several of you don't seem to trust him and you didn't examine the pods yourself. The pods have since been repurposed to grow spinach.

More than large enough to provide a sustainable gene pool. The minimal viable population is somewhere around 10,000 without seed banks or exotic child bearing arrangements. But yeah, way less than a tenth of a percent of the population left behind on Earth.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 10, 2017

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

AJ_Impy posted:

F: The Humanists - We believe in the safeguarding of our species and our freedoms against all threats, internal and external. We are diametrically opposed to any attempt to form a tyrannical or despotic government and will actively and fervently work against any who mistreat even one fellow member of our species. Everyone has free will, freedom of speech, freedom to make of themselves what they will, provided they do no harm to another human being that is not actively trying to break that rule first. We strongly encourage going forth and multiplying, a relatively decentralised society, and we insist upon safeguards, checks and balances on those who would seek to lead. We are free, and we intend to stay that way.
So I'm not against this as the principles by which we develop the colony societally, but I think the Second Chancers do have a point. Is there any chance we could try to convince them of the virtues of broad self-rule and autonomy, while still having a centralized planning agency for all long-term infrastructure development on the colony?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

JT Jag posted:

So I'm not against this as the principles by which we develop the colony societally, but I think the Second Chancers do have a point. Is there any chance we could try to convince them of the virtues of broad self-rule and autonomy, while still having a centralized planning agency for all long-term infrastructure development on the colony?

Could be doable, yes. There are some essentials which would need to be handled centrally.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Wait, why are people angling to elect leaders? According to Captain Dufus we're going to be spread out across the planet. Given how it's going to take hundreds of years for populations to start linking up there's going to have to be several 'countries' that have no contact for a generation or two. So let people select which drop pod they go with. Survival of the least stupid mission statement.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Outrail posted:

Wait, why are people angling to elect leaders? According to Captain Dufus we're going to be spread out across the planet. Given how it's going to take hundreds of years for populations to start linking up there's going to have to be several 'countries' that have no contact for a generation or two. So let people select which drop pod they go with. Survival of the least stupid mission statement.
This is an excellent way to end up with like 50,000 of our 60,000 remaining humans dead. We just don't have the resources to afford to screw around like this. We need to establish a working central doctrine amongst all the spread out states, as well as a long term plan for everyone to link up as soon as possible, ideally by setting a set point on the planet as a location everyone will develop towards.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

JT Jag posted:

This is an excellent way to end up with like 50,000 of our 60,000 remaining humans dead. We just don't have the resources to afford to screw around like this. We need to establish a working central doctrine amongst all the spread out states, as well as a long term plan for everyone to link up as soon as possible, ideally by setting a set point on the planet as a location everyone will develop towards.

Yeah, this is the horrible ending to BGS, and if we encounter any hostile life, we're going to be exterminated piecemeal.

This is why we need the Unfettered and the Magnates: working together, they can produce machines and biological advances that will let us terraform and subdue the planet relatively risk free while we build a more defensible and united capital. Changing my vote:

1. F-The Utopianists-We are capable of making our new world a paradise for all, without going out to risk and waste our lives in pitiful little homesteads and villages. With Moreau's biological advances and Meyerson's robots, the planet can be tamed while humanity focuses on breeding, culture, scientific advancement, and and a high standard of living for everyone. Did we come to the stars to die as dirt farmers, or build a greater human race? This process will be overseen by the best and brightest, working in tandem with a civilian council that will be given full control once the population is determined to be stable enough.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 11, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

JT Jag posted:

AJ_Impy posted:

Could be doable, yes. There are some essentials which would need to be handled centrally.

Basically. The Second Chancers are all about planning for the long term and as part of that they want to avoid causing unpredictable damage to the native enviroment and animals (if any). What they care about is mostly orthogonal to the direct democracy - autocracy continuum.

Outrail posted:

You're not electing leaders. The colonists have democratically selected a couple of different leaders, some of whose core ideals are mutually contradictory. Meyerson and Yurika pretty much hate each other and Silvstedt doesn't talk with Oldcastle. What you are voting on is which, if any, you want to support.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Yeah, this is the horrible ending to BGS, and if we encounter any hostile life, we're going to be exterminated piecemeal.
Nobody is planning on giving up their technology. Nobody is planning to live in tiny, 100 person hamlets.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

This is why we need the Unfettered and the Magnates: working together, they can produce machines and biological advances that will let us terraform and subdue the planet relatively risk free while we build a more defensible and united capital. Changing my vote:

1. F-The Utopianists-We are capable of making our new world a paradise for all, without going out to risk and waste our lives in pitiful little homesteads and villages. With Moreau's biological advances and Meyerson's robots, the planet can be tamed while humanity focuses on breeding, culture, scientific advancement, and and a high standard of living for everyone. Did we come to the stars to die as dirt farmers, or build a greater human race? This process will be overseen by the best and brightest, working in tandem with a civilian council that will be given full control once the population is determined to be stable enough.
Point of order, all the factions are utopian factions. Everyone wants to live in an ideal society. Okay, maybe not the Preservers, they mostly just want to survive. Everyone else wants to organize their society around one core value that they think is foundational to a healthy society and a good life.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself

Outrail posted:

All of these factions are loving stupid. Isn't there any moderates on board? I'm leaning towards the hippies and the lazy machine lovers. Theres no reason we can't have both, why overpopulated this planet if we can just keep the population small and live in a luxurious post scarcity future?

I have to throw down with the dystopian cyberpunk Capitalists.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Strongly tempted to join the Morganites, but not right now.

Say, speaking of Morgan, Who funded this mission?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Strongly tempted to join the Morganites, but not right now.

Say, speaking of Morgan, Who funded this mission?

The UN. You and the rest of the crew are technically UN sailors on loan from a wide range of host nations. The plan was for the captain to muster you all out of the UN after landing and then give you a choice of living as a colonist or signing up to serve under the civilian government of the new colony. That's probably not going to happen now that both the captain and the colony's president is dead.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Write-In: Partnership between B&C to eradicate D&E

Science(B) and ecological harmony(C) are not opposed and have a lot of potential synergy. Greed(E) and Faith(D) have historically brought out the absolute worst our species has to offer and should be actively discouraged and eventually stamped out.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
E is perfectly compatable with ecological preservation. Keep population density low and everyone can have their own robot sexbot butler and a personal 10 square kilometer wildlife preserve. There's not reason we can't have our cake and eat it too (this assumes we land of a planet with life, if it's a dead dumb planet who gives a gently caress?).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Outrail posted:

E is perfectly compatable with ecological preservation. Keep population density low and everyone can have their own robot sexbot butler and a personal 10 square kilometer wildlife preserve. There's not reason we can't have our cake and eat it too (this assumes we land of a planet with life, if it's a dead dumb planet who gives a gently caress?).

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I'd say we combine C&G, argue for elections to be held, while pushing for Yurika as a candidate.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

sheep-dodger posted:

I'd say we combine C&G, argue for elections to be held, while pushing for Yurika as a candidate.

This

Push for elections to be held again regardless of if the killer is at large. Argue for Yurika as a candidate.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

B+C, and G
:science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

sheep-dodger posted:

Slightly revising my vote to this.

• Locked thread