Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Rockopolis posted:

Edit: would tossing in C, do 50% of the pilot's course correction be good? Sounds like it'd reduce the magnitude of the problem while we wake up the navigator.
Do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
How do we not know who screwed up the settings? Who was awake?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

LLSix posted:

Master-at-Arms Jim Hamill was the commanding officer at the time the changes were made. He's the most senior member of the military police.

The sensors were damaged beyond the ability to repair them during the watch of Quartermaster Jane Bean.
Well I hope we've made a note to ask him wtf when we arrive!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
DHO

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I bet it was a malfunction due to a design flaw. We should see other failures if that's the case, though.

AJ_Impy posted:

A This warrants the attention of the next one up the chain of command..
JK: Yurika seals the room AND we station a 2-person guard.
OQP: Yurika, Xander and Myself form a triumvirate in charge of the investigation. We can't _all_ be guilty, this safeguards us from whoever did it being in charge.
RSTX

This excellent vote

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
AH

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Hardrock

I'm not worried about the time to DNA-sequence everyone. It sounds like we should be able to fabricate more machines and speed that timeline up exponentially.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
B

Setting up a comms+imaging satellite that we control sounds like an excellent opportunity.

Could we propose jettisoning the landers full of murdered colonists/unused coldsleep pods/spinach/whatever's in there now to improve the effectiveness of our remaining reaction mass, and maybe even not be scattered? Honestly we should have done this as soon as we began heavy deceleration.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Outrail posted:

The cliffs and surrounding plains are devoid of major vegetation because they don't have alot of water. This is normal for arid lands. Pumping water up will allow us to turn the area into a green zone.
Whatever the photo might suggest, our experts say there should be plants there and there aren't.

Settingwise I'm somewhat confused as to why everybody's acting like it's perfectly reasonable and expected for this random extrasolar planet to be full of alien life, but maybe we're in a space opera.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Outrail posted:

Oh, well even still, no plants aren't an issue, hydroponics and the like are an option even if the ground is inhospitable to plant life. Lack of plants means lack of fauna means lack of biological threats. Probably. And no mineral resources means no radioactive issues. Probably.

Still better than jungle with who knows what or alien crystals. Better a known known than an unknown unknown.
The concern is that whatever kills all the plants which try to live there might kill people who try to live there, too.

Rockopolis posted:

Heliograph towers? Depends on how far apart we end up, but we can work on an agreement to support extending heliographs to communicate with the other colonies.
Heliographs (or, given our tech level, maybe just point-to-point high-power microwave?) are a good idea even if we can't reach everyone with them, and even if we do get a satellite up. Redundancy and extra bandwidth!

sheep-dodger posted:

Also, we'll want to tame whatever causes our biological models to fail sooner rather than later.
Might be easier to do this with a team of hazmat-suited researchers working at their leisure than by plonking down our entire population in the middle of an affected zone and hoping everything just works out.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Yeah, write whatever genre makes it fun; I just wasn't sure what to expect after the relatively hard treatment of interstellar travel.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
What exactly does D entail?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
A

:siren:It's taken 8 grenades to get us 700 meters. That's more than one grenade per 100 meters. To make a round trip we need to cross 4000 meters total. We don't have that many grenades. Turn back before we strand ourself and make the problem worse.:siren:

We can come back with an improvised boat.

Notify the other colonies that the water is full of gently caress. Get some good faith going.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

RandomPauI posted:

I heard people were voting to kill themselves and figured it was a Diog update. But it was LLSix's game instead.

I don't suppose we have any ladar or radar that'd work well enough as sonar to tell us how deep things get?
It doesn't even matter how deep it is, because if (if!) we make it across, trying to come back will mean we run out of the grenades we need to fight off the fish capable of killing our bulldozer well before we run out of river.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

LLSix posted:

I'll add this as an option. You're hands are going to be a bit full without trying to mix mad tunes while driving a bulldozer, not getting swept off, and grenading anything that gets close.
Presumably we'll stop moving while mucking about with the audio setup.

LLSix posted:

I think you're wildly over-estimating how much the bulldozer is carrying. 5,000 people need a minimum of 10,000 kgs of food + water a day to prevent the onset of starvation/dehydration. If you want them to get much work done it should be more like 15,000 - 25,000 kg per day.
At this point I'm not even sure what we're trying to accomplish here. Shouldn't we have gotten the drone ferry thing started hauling water ASAP? We could then focus on ramping up operations on our side of the river to assemble a bridge out of prefab parts ASAP.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

sheep-dodger posted:

What I'd imagine would be the easiest stable solution to crossing the river for the short and medium term would be to set up basically a horizontal ski lift, where we set up a tower every 50 meter (or however many the physics would demand) and use that to transport stuff safely outside of the reach of any predator. We would have to fabricate the towers and install them using the dozers, but that might be quicker to fabricate than full prefab bridge parts.
Ideally we'll find some frequency that discourages the aquatic life from approaching, so that we can fit each tower with a speaker to avoid animals messing with them.
This is a neat idea. If the towers are basically just concrete I doubt they'll need active countermeasures. I think you might be underestimating how quickly we can assemble a bridge from the prefab stuff we already have with us, though.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

sheep-dodger posted:

I was hoping that maybe, since our fabricator is sophisticated enought to print poo poo like space suits, it might be able to print out easier stuff more quickly, so that we can reduce the time it'd take from a week to two or three days, so that we don't wear out our drones too much and can get started on transferring space suits earlier, because until they get new ones, those 5000 people are not helping us in any way.
Also: those prefab pieces we'd use for a bridge are not going to be available for housing units and I doubt we want to sleep in our landers any longer than necessary.
I'm pretty sure we already have the prefabricated bridge pieces (or generic prefabricated structural modules that can already be assembled that way). The wear on our drones for a week or two of hauling shouldn't be that bad, and we can always fab new ones. Probably much cheaper to replace than a bulldozer...

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Outrail posted:

If we can fab drones why not create a dozen or so. Really it's the rotors and moving parts, so after making a bunch you'd just ned replacement parts. Dunno how sophisticated the 3d printers are.
We're probably limited by raw materials right now; we e.g. don't have any metals but those we brought with us.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Plan Don't Be An Idiot:
1. C, go back
2. Short-term drone water relay, get our engineers to work out water filtration
3. Switch drones to hauling food while the colonists use filtered water
4. Test if boats are safe using unmanned food barges, if it seems safe start barging food to the colonists and bringing the colonists over to us in initially small but progressively larger groups. Experiment with sonic active countermeasures if necessary.
5. If boats prove unsafe, or we otherwise need alternative/high-capacity transport, start assembling a prefab bridge

Risking ourselves accomplishes nothing here. We're not bringing a useful amount of food or equipment across and the method of transport we're testing is clearly not viable. There is absolutely no benefit to proceeding. Don't get us killed for pointless stubbornness.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 20, 2017

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Outrail posted:

At this point we're safer going on than turning back.
How could you possibly get that idea? If we keep going, we get stranded on the far side, and have personally made the problem worse.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Rockopolis posted:

Failing that, can we just put a big platform on stilts atop the bulldozer?
The problem is not that we're going to end up underwater. The problem is that we don't have enough grenades to come back without getting taken apart by stabby fish, so we've accomplished little more than adding one more mouth to feed.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Basically there's a ton of different ways we can solve this problem without risking our life further and adding to the number of people starving across the river.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
C

I still want to make the following happen next, but maybe it's our boss's call now:

2. Short-term drone water relay, get our engineers to work out water filtration
3. Switch drones to hauling food while the colonists use filtered water
4. Test if boats are safe using unmanned food barges, if it seems safe start barging food to the colonists and bringing the colonists over to the main group in initially small but progressively larger groups.
5. If boats prove unsafe, or we otherwise need alternative/high-capacity transport, start assembling a prefab bridge

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Blasphemaster posted:

Electrify the main body of the dozer, line it with ALL THE CHAINSAWS and ride back in the blade again. 20m/s is loving FAST, especially underwater, where it is ludicrously fast, unless it was moving with the current. We need to be a mobile TO EAT ME IS TO DIE sign.
Unfortunately, people voted to strand us on the side of the river that doesn't have any supplies or tools to convert this thing into a killdozer. But hey, at least all the colonists got a small snack!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Grognan posted:

uhh isn't our faction supposed to be the environmentally prudent one?

Supposed to? Yes. Are? To be determined.

But seriously let's try boats before we go poisoning the river.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Rockopolis posted:

Look, even if we're not going build the thresher ferry, we can still add applique armor and a raised cargo bed for the return trip.
Again, no, we can't do that because we don't have any supplies over here or any way to move heavy stuff across. We are stranded until the people on the other side can come up with a solution.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Rockopolis posted:

What, every part of it? Surely there's enough scrap to be had out of an entire lander. Like a wing or some panels or something.
It's a lander, not an airplane. It's the lightest, most minimal thing that could possibly survive the trip.

Even if we could strip it meaningfully without killing the colonists, and the things we could strip would function usefully as armor, we don't have any equipment to do the work with on this side.

AJ_Impy posted:

We have radio comms. We bloody well can tell them how to do it.
The post I responded to was talking about armoring our vehicle.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
C will do far more for morale than mere words, and the rest is an indefensible waste of time and resources, better left to the people on the other side.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Rockopolis posted:

I forget, do we have the range to remote the bulldozer across the river without being on it?

If we do that as it stands, it will be taken apart by angry fish.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Yeah, boats seem likely to work for various reasons and we can buy time for a bridge anyway. I don't get why people are obsessed with taking the least viable/most expensive approach.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Amphibious vehicles are spectacularly slow in the water. We don't want that.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Outrail posted:

D. Wait for a few crossings and then go to show we don't think we're more important than anyone else. Also this means it's safer for us.

Be tactful but efficient.

It's nice having other characters capable of getting stuff done around. Hurray for engineer faction!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
C because it's what she asked us to do, it'll be fun, and more information about our surroundings may inform everything else. I concur that A should have the most resources invested in it, though.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
ALOW Don't take unnecessary risks.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
This is what happens when you take unnecessary risks :ohdear:
D

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
1. Full big brother, with suit cameras transmitting recording back to the trucks, except the recording is encrypted to a key held only by trusted people chosen by the suit's wearer (e.g. family). Aren't we the clever science faction? We can have our cake and eat it too. No invasion of privacy. Next time someone goes missing, we'll merely need to get token cooperation from the bereaved.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Azhais posted:

Cameras at worksites is hardly some invasion of privacy
Having recordings of you pretty much 24/7 is kinda lovely even if you're on a job. Fortunately we can solve that with crypto!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
D Time to get our science on!

Also set up the cryptographic scheme I described to restore privacy, there's literally no reason to hurt morale here

Outrail posted:

Jesus, why haven't we investigated building lighting proof vehicles yet?
Vehicles are usually lightning proof, but people keep getting out for mysterious reasons.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
C, I, all of them, W

We shouldn't let people die for political reasons, not when there are so few of us.

Has anyone set up some regular ol' lightning rods and associated instruments and seen how the lightning reacts to them and, if it hits them, what it's like electrically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Outrail posted:

Can we at put cages with some lizards on top with cameras pointed at them?

+1 for autonomous trucking and animal testing

Not necessarily at the same time, but, you know, whatever works.

• Locked thread