Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 102 Part 2: Alternis Saves the Day (the Party Also Exists)

Okay, I'm not making another chart, but I'm pretty sure we defeated all the Eternians.

Wait. Khamer and... Einheria, Kamiizumi... Khint and Jackal...

Ha ha, how could we forget. A certain axis of evil is still missing. This quest isn't available until after you chat with Einheria in Eternia City.

But where are they? Where would a plotting rapist/serial murderer, a madman specializing in WMDs, and a yellow-haired sociopathic plutocrat go to hide?

I can take a guess. Back to Central Command and down the staircase to where the party was once held captive, several worlds back.

To the now-abandoned prison, dark, rank, and out of sight.

Ah ha.

Like I said, best for last. :getin:

AAA-CHOO! I completely agree. Who schedules meetings down in a dungeon?

Easy, gentlemen. I thought it fitting. It's where we all started, eh? Besides, you've hardly suffered for hitching yourselves to my wagon fifteen years past.

Chairman Profiteur, you've amassed a fortune selling the Orthodoxy treasures you looted.

We're starting off well, with direct confirmation of the suspicions Braev's army had during their Eternian occupation.

Same here. The notes we saw in Everlast Tower specified Qada was likely stealing forbidden spells from the Orthodoxy's records. At least he didn't get his hands on the Alchemical Life book.

Well, no. I'll not deny that, but--

Then let's not quibble over the venue, hmm? Now, I asked something of you. Let's see it.

What iz zis? Did you not call us here to discuss plans for ze next caper?

I considered it, sure. Security was lax at Orthodoxy headquarters, though. Nowadays, Eternian Central Command is iron tight.

Braev may not be the wisest ruler, but he's still better than the Orthodoxy.

...It's a low bar.

Braev: competent enough to put a lock on the door of the treasury, not competent enough to keep these three out of positions of authority despite persistent rumors of them being terrible from the start.

Bah, zat pigheaded templar! ...Well? What is it we're here to see, zen?

A new weapon that will deliver the duchy into our hands.

Oh?

Yes, the one that the good Dr. Qada has been working quite hard on. Explain to the chairman how your little toy works.

With pleasure! Now, this is an exceedingly simple explanation for you laymen, mind.

We've never seen these three interact together before, but they snipe at each other just as much as you'd expect. Too much ego for one prison cell to handle.

A pazo...what is it, you say? It has quite ze ominous ring to it.

A pathogen, created by the union of the common cold with venom extracted from a hell viper.

And the vaccine? I trust it's made, if you aim to use this stuff as a weapon.

Unfortunately, they still get along well enough to screw over everybody else.

Excellent. I'll have that prophylactic now. My men will need it before we loose your creation on the duchy. Meanwhile, you two will start work on crafting large quantities of the cure outside Eternia.

Ha ha! Say no more. Zen we sell it at a lovely premium through ze black market, yes?

Foolproof. There's no way this plan could ever go horrifically wrong for everyone involved.

Then, the chairman returns with a miraculous--and completely free--cure. You'll be Eternia's savior.

Me? Ze duchy's savior? Yes, I like zis plan! Heh hah hah!

And you, doctor, would have your choice. The hero responsible for the wonder cure, or--

Or the mad genius who created history's most diabolic weapon? Mm heh heh. How is a fellow to decide?

Provided this disease somehow manages to stay within their control, let's take bets on how long it'd be before these fellows decided to screw over their partners-in-crime.

Luckily, our intrepid team of peacemakers has just arrived.

Is zat not ze templar's daughter? Why has she come here?

What if she heard us? Measures would have to be taken.

And who would find her, here in an abandoned dungeon, deep underground? ...You're welcome.

Alright. Time to muzzle ze little pup!

Unfortunately, the party has a less than graceful entrance.

So much for cooly confronting these three about their plan.

Despite what you might think, DeRosa heals his companions. Other than that, they're a disorganized mess.

We're hunting down criminals plotting against the Duchy and just happen to run into the three worst people the party's met. Take a guess, Tiz.

Considering the place and present company, I'd say they were up to no good.

I agree. Ten-to-one they're plotting one dark deed or another.

Let's teach them a well-deserved lesson!

While this is satisfying after chapters of buildup...

No, please!

It's a shame the party didn't actually overhear the evil plan.

...But they do at least lock the door as they leave.

Still, knowing these guys, this is risky. If they pick or melt the lock, they're as good as free.

But just when all seems quiet, someone else approaches the cell...

I follow reports of a disturbance, and what do I find but three wanted men, tidily behind bars.

Wanted...?

Red Mage Fiore DeRosa, commander of the Bloodrose Legion, Third Division, Eternian Forces...

The Orthodoxy's Florem office filed charges, and many within your own ranks are backing them up.

Of all the improvements in this world, Einheria's may have had the most far-reaching effects.

Hopefully due to Einheria's interference this world didn't have the jail cell filled with drugged women.

...Ha ha ha. It's a real page-turner, eh?

Imbecile! You left written evidence of your crime!?

Erutus Profiteur, Chairman of Khamer & Profiteur Merchantry, Second Legion, Eternian Forces...

Your charges come from Prime Minister Dominus Harena of Ancheim. Quite the list, that. The investigation of your offices should be underway as we speak.

Good thing Profiteur keeps no written records of anything, definitely not letters detailing a water price-fixing scheme.

This begs the question of why Kamiizumi didn't do this earlier. Maybe he, like Einheria, stopped letting regret stand in the way of fixing things.

...and the manufacture of weapons of mass destruction.

You three have ignored the grand marshal's orders and hatched your own schemes long enough.

No, wait! Chairman Profiteur blackmailed me! I owe him a small fortune, and he--

This level of self-serving, short-sighted greed seems almost unreal.

I haven't seen such a cartoonish group of villains infighting like this since the last time I looked at the national headlines.

Why you--! Zis is slander most foul! I'll not even dignify zem with a response!

Alternis, my friend, could we not overlook zese minor transgressions? Come now, name your price!

You three can entertain one another here until the grand marshal passes sentence. Don't expect leniency.

Alternis locks them in the cell, hopefully emptying their pockets before he leaves.

And that's it. The evil Eternian plot has been stopped, thanks to the party (kind of, accidently) and Alternis.

From here, we don't need to waste much time. The earth crystal is awakened.

But I wanted to ask you something, Airy.

What, Tiz? The ritual was completed without a hitch, so...

Yes, I know. But I was wondering... How many crystals must we awaken? How many times must we enter the Holy Pillar? And how many worlds must we cross into? It seems never-ending.

I've already lost count, to be honest.

Oh, um, well--

The last crystal we awakened was the fifteenth.

We've entered the Holy Pillar three times now.

Since we first met...

...this marks the fourth world we have crossed into.

Oh... You people sure have good memories.

It's simply a matter of counting.

And believing that next time will be the one to end it all!

Yes. And Airy, I trust next time will be the one!

...Oh, yes, yes! Of course!

Right, one more. Sure.

...Before we head on to our undoubtedly glorious ending, let's stop by Grandship once again.

Praline's back to working at the pub.

Her fanbase is even larger and more rabid than last time.

Uh... Let's just go.

The party returns to Eisenberg for last crystal, stopping by Hartschild first to renew their supplies.

Yep, came to relieve Zatz.

Or...are you really here for Eisenberg's famous sausages and ham...

...all washed down with a hearty black beer?

Bah ha ha! You got me there!

You obviously know what's good, Ringabel. Care to join me?

Unfortunately, I've some business with Eleanor.

You don't say?

Yes, well you see, we picked up a heap of buckwheat seeds while we were in Florem. Figured buckwheat would be a perfect crop for the barren soil here. And it would help the food situation, too.

Ringabel, I'm so grateful you're so concerned for this land.

I'm blessed with wonderful friends!

If you need to thank someone, it should be Edea.

Edea?

She overheard the proprietress talking to herself.

What did she say?

Apparently she was mumbling something about taking Eisenberg's famous sausages... And wrapping it in a crepe made from Florem buckwheat to make a delicious galette saucisse.

Edea couldn't stop thinking about it after that, and invested in a heap of buckwheat seeds. She realized that buckwheat loses its flavor quickly, so she decided it would have to be grown locally.

Oh ho! She's got an amazing mind, that one!

That she does. But what do you expect from the only daughter of the duchy's grand marshal?

Several years from now, I'll wager Eisenberg will have one more famous dish to add to the list.

You're still here? Hurry up and deliver those seeds to Eleanor!

Yes, ma'am. ...Oh, and Datz?

Whatever you do, don't mention to her that it would've been easier to ship sausages to Florem.

Ah, heh heh... Thanks for the tip...

Ringabel's often surpassing Edea in maturity now. Edea's learned a lot, but still has her father's potent combo of singular focus/drive and lack of sense.

They head to the fire crystal afterwards, awakening it without incident.

That marks the sixteenth since we first began.

And once again, the Holy Pillar must have appeared in the south sea.

The fourth Holy Pillar...

Yes, and I hope this will be the last one! Right, Airy?

Yes...of course.

This time will be the one!

...I hope you're right.

Now, the only thing left is to deal with that problem once we get it back.

Once we get back? To Grandship?

What, is she in need of repair again?

Yes, there's that, but Datz and Zatz are handling the repairs. And I couldn't be happier with their work so far.

Then what problem are you talking about?

The proprietress...

You know, how to get her down to the hold when we enter the Holy Pillar.

Ah! That is a problem. A very difficult one, too.

I remember the fuss she made the last time.

Datz ended up having to pick her up and carry her down there. And just the other day, Datz and Zatz were debating something. I'm not sure what, but I'd wager it was about the proprietress.

I wonder what the plan is. Ooh, I can't wait to find out!

Ha ha, well then, I suppose the proprietress is in good hands.

That leaves us to head on into the Holy Pillar!

What are we waiting for?

[img]https://lpix.org/2703269/agnes_happy.png[img][/img] Let us go!

The party's trying their best to keep their spirits up.

But realistically speaking, how long can we keep going?

How many times do we have to do this? How many times do I have to do this?

Where are Datz and Zatz?

I had them take refuge in the hold.

Okay, everyone, don't forget to watch over me! This is going to work this time, you'll see!

Yes...of course.

The conversation is a shorter version of last chapter's.

At this point, what new is there to say?

Let's keep watch.

What!?

We should watch over Airy.

...Right.

The party can only watch, wait, and hope this pays off...

Next: The Eternians get to the point.

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
Another Holy Pillar
Let's Keep Watch

Sub-Scenario:
Three Conspirators
Paying the Piper

Party Chat:
Next Time
Galette Saucisse
The Fourth Time

D's Journal: Profiteur, Merchant of Death posted:

In the fourth world, Chairman Profiteur, the red mage DeRosa, and the salve-maker Qada plotted to overthrow the duchy in the dungeon at Central Command. DeRosa would spread a pathogen crafted by Qada across the duchy and kill key figures, while Profiteur would emerge as a hero by distributing the vaccine for free. We bested them and locked them away, ending their scheme.

D's Journal: Fiore the Red Mage posted:

In the fourth world, DeRosa, Profiteur, and Qada were hatching a plot in the dungeon beneath Central Command. DeRosa intended to overthrow the duchy through cunning use of a pathogen developed by Qada. We gave them a thrashing and locked them away, leaving the scoundrels' fate in the duchy's hands.

D's Journal: Qada the Salve-Maker posted:

In the fourth world, we found Qada plotting to overthrow the duchy with DeRosa and Profiteur in the dungeon beneath Central Command. While he mulled over whether to go down in history as a villain who created the pathogen that threw the duchy into chaos, or the hero that developed the miracle cure, we crushed their evil aspirations and locked them away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU