Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 43: The Water, Awakened

Another story ended. Despite the losses, good has prevailed and another land is saved from Eternia's grimly comical evil machinations.

So long, Florem.

One quick no-encounters, poison-filled run through the Miasma Woods later, we're back at Flor-Cheim's main port.

Please.

Agnès and Tiz are distracted. Even Edea is unusually quiet.

Airy's in a good mood, at least. We're halfway through the crystals! How hard could the other two be?

For the first time during the game, the water outside the Inner Sea is clear. Time to celebrate! Right guys?

Agnès... Forgive me!

For what?

For what happened to Olivia... I am partly to blame.

You may have fought for the duchy, but you've nothing to do with the one who killed Olivia.

But I do...

That monster... The one they call the witch, Victoria. I knew of her.

Before, when that man attacked. Alternis. You knew him.

Better than a simple soldier of the Sky Knights ought.

I hadn't intended to hide who I am... But I should have told you sooner.

My father is grand marshal of the Eternian Forces. Leader of the Council of Six.

What!?

If the council is in charge, and he leads the council... Your father's the head of the whole duchy!?

Then the order to assassinate the vestal of water came from your father?

I don't know. I don't know... I can't blame you if you blame me for it, though.

You don't... You...

You intend to stand there and feign heartache and innocence both!? Perhaps it was you who communicated Olivia's hiding place to the duchy!

That's not--I wouldn't!

Perhaps you were a spy this whole time, deceiving us even now.

Agnès, stop.

We fought this far together. That means something. Don't doubt it.

Excuse me. I need rest. I ask that you leave me alone awhile.

...We're crossing into open water.

To recap, the party found out Edea was the grand marshal's daughter back when they were chasing down Knight Heinkel. Later, after the showdown with Dark Knight Alternis, they found out the leaders of Eternia are the Council of Six. It's been clear to them throughout that Edea's father is high-ranking in Eternia, they just didn't know (until now) he occupied the highest rank.

It's more a psychological difference than anything at this point, but if there's any one person to blame for Eternia's misbehaviours, the buck stops at Edea's father.

We've got the whole ocean open to us now.

The ship can stop at docks, but most areas have beach landings.

Getting random encounters while on a Final Fantasy-style vessel always seems so wrong. Why are animals in JRPG worlds so rabid as to attack a ship?

Unusual for an eagle to be out over open ocean.

Trust me, as soon as these creatures are documented, I'm never fighting them again.

As if sea travel isn't bad enough already. I wonder if Luxendarc's oceans are calmer than Earth's due to the Water Crystal's influence?

It's a fish. A floating, highly aggressive fish.

Did the party pull it up while fishing or something?

Of course they dredged up a zombie. The party is terrible at fishing.

He's still got his little piratey bandana on, ha ha.

Aaaah okay guys, forget the fish, mealy bread and salted meat will have to do.

Yeah, I'd say we're done interacting with the local wildlife. How did all these creatures survive the ocean rotting, anyway?

Let's take a breather on solid ground. Here's yet another mysterious obelisk. This is the continent of Eternia, but there's no way to access the interior at the moment.

We can also get to the northeastern landmass, which has a very odd shape... Nothing much to do here now, either.

Let's take a peek around northern Eisen on our own.

Uh

Waugh! What's happening!?

The same event will occur if you try landing at Eternia's main beach, so no skipping over to corner Edea's dad and ask what his deal is. Considering Victor/Victoria's powers, it probably wouldn't end well for the party, anyway.

Eisen has a western beach, too, but trying to land there, well...

As in the Florem area, Ringabel objects in his own odd manner. At least swimsuits make more sense here than at an inland forest.

There's one last place to visit with our newly freed transport before we continue on.

It's been a while since we were back.

We're all hoping the vestal's efforts will see the world restored to normal.

This lady still has a crush on Ringabel. Afraid the strange mutterings are still a thing.

Wind and water going bad were easy to notice, but there hasn't been any big effect on fire that we've seen so far.

I'm assuming grandma is the one puttering around the inn all the time. What's she have to say?

I'm afraid all the life's drained out of the innkeep since losing Owen.

Oh. :smith:

Can't imagine Caldisla smelled great back at the start of the game. Nothing says fresh new adventure like rotting fish.

They've carved this grave since we were here last. Continuing up the hill...

I went and saw the chasm for myself. I'd heard it was big, but I wasn't prepared for that...

That was your doing? Oh, bless you!

Despite Eternia's earlier attempt to burn down/destroy the government of Caldisla, Caldisla appears not too worried about reinvasion. Luckily, so far Eternia seems wholly uninterested in reconquering countries once they've lost hold of them.

Seems the innkeep is still weighing heavily on His Highness's mind.

Inside the castle, the soldiers who stepped up to fill in the shoes of those who died during Eternia's massacre are getting used to their work.

You all are something else. I can't even imagine going on a journey to save the world.

So, we have you to thank for the oceans, too? You lot are amazing!

For the party, it's less a matter of choice than of survival.

Captain Owen's poor father hasn't been himself lately. I worry for the man...

We were able to help everyone else in Caldisla. If only we could do something for the innkeep.

Through Norende Ravine, the Great Chasm is unchanged. I'm assuming Tiz's new Norende is off around the corner prospering and cutting new deals in grimy backalleyways.

A rare, mythical item hundreds of years old which is destroyed after a single use? That's a good new dealer Norende's brought in. Tiz leaves satisfied.

We've delayed long enough. West from the mouth of the Flor-Cheim Inner Sea, and off the party goes to see what they can see.

Next: Good riddance, Chapter 2. What fun times and human rights violations await us next?

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
To the Outer Sea
The Grand Marshal's Girl

D's Journal: Edea Lee posted:

A sullen mood hung over us as we sailed the inner sea. Then, out of nowhere, Edea offered an apology. She told us she knew the arcanist Victoria who murdered the water vestal Olivia, and that she was the daughter of the grand marshal, head of the Council of Six. This shocking revelation only deepened the tension between us.

D's Journal: Eisen Region posted:

This area encompasses Eisenberg, mired in the throes of civil war, and the waters of the Sea of Corsairs, upon which the Grandship floats.

D's Journal: Sea of Corsairs posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU