Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Then...

Her parents had come back from abroad the day she had been discovered. Given their affluence, it wasn't really surprising that they were able to put together the ceremony relatively quickly. Despite the fact that to all accounts she hadn't been...well, too damaged from the condition that her body was found in, the casket was closed.

You're all seated in what you would later learn to be the precise spots you sit in, in Homeroom. All of you there, if out of nothing else, obligation and maybe a morbid bond, out of being the last six people to see her definitively alive. The rest of the seats filled with family, friends, and well-wishers. Where the teacher would be seated are instead Mr. and Mrs. Harris. For some of you, maybe the first time you've seen them. Mr. Harris is a wreck, barely able to keep the tears in, he clutches the program in his hands in a white-knuckle grip, as if by keeping it closed he could ward off the day. But he couldn't. Mrs. Harris? She just seems numb. Almost unresponsive. Maybe she can't accept that this day has come either? They always say the grief from having to bury your child is unimaginable - maybe you can't quite feel that grief - but it's clear her parents can.

An uncle, or cousin, or some relative, delivers the eulogy. It's hard to keep track. It's hard to remember. Especially since this morning was the morning that you all received that second text. Like a fresh knife wound on top of everything else - a reminder that this wasn't the end of something, but rather the beginning of something - something dark, something you'd rather not be a part of but can't quiet escape. It makes it fresher. Do you cry? No one would blame you if you did, of course, but maybe it's important to remain strong - to show whoever is still torturing you that you won't break.

But maybe that's inevitable.

Still, even if the rest of the ceremony is a blur, the words the priest says at the opening stick in your head.

"We've gathered here today to celebrate the life of Annie Harris..."

Doesn't seem like much of a celebration, does it?

Shanie
This is a very strange sort of thing, isn't it? What do you make of it? How did Mr. Pauling prepare you for this? Is he here today, too? Either way, someone's giving you a weird look. Who, and why do you think they're doing that?

Aina
How outrageous is this - they killed her, and now they're burying her - cross and all, despite who she really was. Despite who you know she really was. Aside from her parents, who might have ignorance to excuse them who has no business being at her funeral? Why do you feel that way?

Zoe
Obviously, this is throwing off your schedule - what did you have to drop the ball on to attend this, today? How long do you plan on staying? Do you think there's anything you can do here to catch up - and if so, what do you think this will cost?

Hannah
While this isn't your Annie's funeral, it still stings, maybe more than you anticipated. Someone from "your family" didn't show up today. Who was it, and what was their excuse? Since you're already seeing the councilor - what sort of advice or words of comfort did they try to give you about today?

Theresa
One of the two of them - Mama Tess and the Pilgrim, that is, seems uneasy today - why, I mean, aside from the obvious? What seems incongruous, to their memories? Has your foreknowledge helped with the sadness at all today or has it only made it worse - having essentially lived through this three times, now?

Ravenna
I get this isn't really your kind of scene, but you're trying to not be too outrageous, right? Still, you might've slipped up - what did you do today, who noticed, and how did they react? I mean, aside from your parents who are currently occasionally casting you disapproving glances - why're they doing that, anyway?

Ok, let's get this ball of wax a rolling with a prologue. This should be a pretty short scene, more to get a feel for things in action as opposed to the actual action itself.

Still, you'll need to pick highlights - I'll let you pick and then in my next post I'll pick for you all - if you roll something that ends up being highlighted after you roll it you can claim xp for it.

Oh, and these highlights will carry over into the next scene, since this isn't intended to be a full scene of it's own.

Shanie, choose for Hannah
Aina, choose for Zoe
Zoe, choose for Ravenna and Theresa
Hannah, choose for Shanie
Ravenna, choose for Aina

Theresa...you don't get to choose!

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Hot 0, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 1 | Location: The Funeral
EXP: 0/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions:

You know, in my home, they don't have all of this. Mr. Pauling explained most of it to me. 'We're going to a get-together to remember Annie. Hopefully when it's over we won't have to be sad that she's gone, but be happy knowing that she was here.' He wanted to make sure I was wearing black, since black is a mournful color. Mourning.

That's why the six of us are here, and why most of her family showed up too. They want to remember her as she was, not the details of her death. But there's still... Well, she's not coming back, so that space she occupied will still be there. Is that the point, to fill it with a version of her we can be happy about? Is that why her family is talking about 'good times', so they can just play the memories in their heads? It doesn't help.

We don't bury fish. It doesn't matter who, or what kind. If they die, they just hit the floor and wait for the bottom feeders. Then they get broken apart in the sand. Dad told me they become sand. But Annie had a name, and she was distinct and real. Will Annie really become dirt down there in that box?

Annie's just a... thing now, isn't she? She's not a person anymore. And the memories aren't her either. They're just... what we wanted to hear from Annie, and can't.

I think Cammie is looking at me a lot. At least she's looking when I look back at her. She does look a lot like Annie, though maybe this is the first time I really realized it. After all, she didn't look like her when Annie was around, because Annie was her own... being. But now that she's not, Cammie is the next closest thing.

Or maybe she thinks I'm closer.

It makes me wonder if her friends will still be friends without her. It's hard to imagine... Of all those people, who are even here besides me? That's an honest question: I don't recognize them... without her.

But I recognize the six of us. Especially Hannah, though she doesn't care about me. How cold do you have to be to blame all of this on me? I didn't want this. I don't think anyone did, and... it sucks. It just sucks so much.

I don't know what's going on! Why am I even here? I think that's what makes me cry. Not Annie, but everyone else. Did they know her like I did? Like we did? And is it really going to help to hear other people talk about her when she can't speak for herself? She...

She can't speak for herself. She can't... talk to me anymore. And she never will.

I'm just trying to keep my head below water. This is awful, and it's everything I can do to stay here with Mr. Pauling. Since I had to get close to Annie and had to be like her, I keep getting these looks of hurt, of blame, of shame. Shame on Shanie.

quote:

Name: The Skaneateles Lake Monster, Jr. / Shanie LaTeaks
Skin: The Selkie
Look: Sleek, confused eyes
Origin: Breaking the rules about land-dwelling

0 Hot, 1 Cold, -1 Volatile, 1 Dark

Skin Moves
Outer Skin
When you wear your pelt you look like a small plesiosaur.
Without it, you can swim like a human, but with it you can breathe underwater and swim like the dickens, and, if you want to, return to The Deep Kingdom.
If you do return there, it’s for good, so make a new character.

Their Word
People can steal your pelt, but never destroy it.
When someone withholds your pelt and demands that you do something for them before they'll give it back, add 1 to rolls you make in pursuit of that task.
If they don’t return your pelt, take a String on them, and they'll give you another task.

Salt
Whenever your tears mix with water, roll with dark.
On a 10 up, choose someone you want to see. They show up, with or without reason.
On a 7-9 they still do, but they have the Condition drained and they bring trouble with them.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, it counts as submerging yourself in water. Since all oceans tell you their secrets, gain a String on someone else they've had sex with.

Darkest Self
People have mistreated you and made you an outcast here. It's time to show them how it feels to be lost at sea, to be apart from the things you have loved, to have parts of your identity stolen from you. So you will flood the Earth. You will destroy what they cherish. And you will take their pelts.
You escape your Darkest Self when this place reminds you of home, or when you recognize what you came here for.

Backstory
You’ve seen someone swimming, but they either didn’t see or didn’t recognize you.
Gain a String on them.

Someone stole your pelt, withholding it from you to make you their errand boy. They said they'll give it back.
Each gain a String on one another, and they say the first task they've given you.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Hot -1 | Cold +1 | Volatile 0 | Dark +1
EXP: 0/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: None, yet.

No. gently caress you. You don't know who she is. None of you know who she is. Only... only I know. It's just- it was just- me, and her... Me, and her...

gently caress.

I bring my hand up to rub my eyes. I shouldn't be crying. Not because I'm not sad, but because they're probably watching. I can't let them see. I shouldn't let them see. It's what they want. They killed Annie, and now they're going after me. One Witch after another. I can't let them have the satisfaction.

But the tears just keep coming, no matter how much I try to stop them. How much can I even stop them? My best friend is loving dead. And she's right in front of me. Can't I just have this loving day to cry in peace? Can't I have one loving day where I can just feel sad?

No. No you can't, Aina. That's not how the world works.

I can't believe Georgia is here. I mean, I do, but she really shouldn't be here. Did she ever actually like Annie? I never saw them get along. There's always been this weird thing between the Cartwrights and the Harrises. It's like, when you're rich you're not allowed to just get along with other rich people. It's always gotta be some kind of competition. And Georgia always ended up in second place even though her family's richer. But now...

Ugh.

There's just something wrong with people that try to grab the spotlight- except Annie of course. I never really got them. It's always easier to just lie back in the shadows where nobody pays attention to you. But some people drive themselves crazy trying to be perfect.

Like Zoe. God, even just thinking about her makes me feel a little bit stressed out. It's contagious. I've never seen anyone else so constantly stressed-out in my entire life. It makes me nervous- and not just in the sympathetic way. You know what happens when somebody's always kept under pressure? They crack.

I reach down, and stick my hand into my bag. I feel the reassuring texture of a very neatly folded piece of paper. Just a little token I have, for safety and safe-keeping. Because you never know what's going to happen. And you never know what you might need.

Zoe marks Volatile.

quote:

Name: Aina Kohonen
Skin: The Witch
Look: Guarded, calculating eyes
Origin: Wiccan

Stats:
Hot -1
Cold 1
Volatile 0
Dark +1

Moves:

Sympathetic Tokens:
You gain power from sympathetic tokens - items of personal significance that you take from others.
Each sympathetic token counts as a String.

Hex-Casting:
You can cast Hexes. Choose two thatyou know.
To cast them, either expend a sympathetic token during a secret ritual, or meet the target’s gaze and chant at them in tongues.
Then roll with dark.
On a 10 up, the Hex works, and can easily be reversed. On a 7-9, it works but choose one:
- the casting does you 1 harm;
- the Hex has unexpected side effects;
- trigger your Darkest Self.

Bide my Time:
If you’ve got a sympathetic token against someone, add 1 to all rolls to hold steady against their actions or to run away from them.

Hexes:

Ring of Lies:
Whenever the person attempts to lie, they hear a piercing ringing noise.
Big lies will often make their knees buckle and disorient them.
Severe lies can cause harm or even brain damage.

Illusions:
Pick one: snakes and bugs, demonic visages, false prophecies, non-existent subtext.
The hexed sees that thing everywhere. You have no control over the exact images or manifestations.

Sex Move

After sex, you can take a sympathetic token from them. They know about it, and it’s cool.

Darkest Self

The time for subtlety and patience is over. You’re too powerful to put up with their garbage any longer.
You hex anyone who slights you. All of your hexes have unexpected side effects, and are more effective than you are comfortable with.
To escape your Darkest Self, you must offer peace to the one you have hurt the most.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hot 0, Cold 1, Volatile 1, Dark -1 | Location: The Funeral
EXP: 0/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Killjoy

That's when I gave up hoping this was going to be worthwhile. I keep glancing at my watch and wincing as I realize what I'm doing. I can't help it, ok? It's habit at this point. But Annie was a good friend, so I made time to be here. I even had some hope that it might actually be a good service. You know, help people move on and such. I've helped set up for funerals at church before, but this... isn't one of the good ones. It's awful. Like, beyond normal funeral awful.

Thankfully, the whole of the student council is here, so I'm not missing something there, however I'd planned on making my posters for the election right about now. So, I'll have to do that tonight. I should be fine tomorrow on 4 hours of sleep. In fact, I may be able to squeeze an extra hour of sleep in if I start planning them now, during the service. But... I don't think I will. Even if the service is... what it is.

I take another glance around at my classmates. I still have to figure out who's trying to blackmail me. It's got to be one of the people that was with Annie and myself before she... before what happened to her.

I bite my lip to calm down as I think about one of them murdering Annie. It's... I don't even know how I feel about it. I hate it, and I have to know why they did it. But I still can't believe one of them would do it But they're the only ones that make sense! But which one?

Aina looks almost as bad as Annie's parents, and if she's faking those tears, she missed her calling as an actress. ...Or maybe it's guilt?
Shanie? Maybe... but I doubt it. And not just because we had a date, ok?
I don't know a lot about Hannah and Theresa, so maybe? Hannah's got way too much of the sweet and innocent vibe. Maybe it's an act, though?
Ravenna's the only one that I guess could have done it, but only if she was blitzed out of her mind. So, yeah, not really that hard to believe. Maybe she doesn't even remember doing it? But then why would she be blackmailing me over a school dance?

None of this makes any sense! I'm glaring at the ground for a moment before I realize I'm supposed to be listening. So, I take a deep breath and come up for air, focusing on the speaker. But really, I'm remembering the study sessions over coffee that we had.

And that last bit of magic she shared with us.

quote:

Name: Zoe Skrieger
Look: Monochrome, steel eyes
Origin: Summoned and bound

Stats
Hot +0
Cold +1
Volatile +1
Dark -1

Moves

Obligations
You have duties and responsibilities that eat up your time:
Getting Straight A's
Student Government
Cheerleeding Practice
Family Dinner
Charity Work
Religious Services

At the end of each session, if you’ve slaved diligently and dealt with any crises, roll with cold.
If you’ve been neglectful, instead roll at -1.

On a 10+, you’re keeping everything spinning -- for now. Heal a harm or erase a Condition.
On a 7-9, you’ve slipped up somewhere. Pick one of your obligations; the MC will tell you an urgent crisis you have to deal with.
On a 6-, catastrophe: become your Darkest Self.

My Candle Burns at Both Ends
In pursuit of perfection, you push yourself far beyond what’s safe or healthy.
When you roll a 6 or a 9, if you have less than 3 harm, add 1 to your roll and deal yourself a harm (whether from pain, stress, or exhaustion).

Beyond Good and Evil
When you hurt someone who cares for you, heal a harm.

Sex Move
When you relax within your lover’s arms, you can forget about all your burdens for a while: treat it as each of you tending to the other’s wounds.
Afterwards, roll for having neglected your Obligations.

Darkest Self
It’s all fallen apart. You can’t seem to keep up with anything, let alone everything, and everywhere you turn something’s gone wrong.
But that’s about to change.
Now is the time to pull out all the stops, to sacrifice your friends, your body, and your happiness on the altar of perfection.
You’re going to get back on top, to succeed, to excel,to prove that you aren’t a useless failure. And may the costs be damned.

Escape your Darkest Self when you are on top of all your duties again, or when you pass out from exhaustion.

Ravenna, please, for once, could you not be so hot under the collar and just behave?

Theresa, I really don't know what you've seen to make you look so dark right now, but I bet I'll know it when it comes to pass.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
XP 0/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions: None
Aspect: Maiden (+1 Hot, -1 Cold/Vol)

You know, it's funny -- this is the first time I've gone to a funeral. I'm sad, but I also feel a little... hollow? Anxious? Like I'm being watched? The only ones I really know here are the ones from Annie's... last night. The others who know about the magic. None of them are moving, either, and when I dare to glance around at them, they've got similar confused looks. They're hard to figure out, unfortunately, and I don't know if I really have a grasp on any of them yet... but at least we're all here together, feeling what we're feeling.

(It's a nice funeral,) says Mama Tess in my head, but she sounds like she's just trying to be happy. (My time around, her parents didn't make it home for two weeks. Showed up just in time to keep the funeral home from cremating her. It was a closed-casket job, then, and rushed...)

Why is she telling me this? Why does it matter? She almost sounds -- happy about it, when she remembers. God, was she glad that Annie got a bad funeral last time? Was there some kind of dumb fight, some kind of carried-over grudge? Sometimes I hate the things they make me think about, especially at a time like now.

(... fewer people this time around,) whispers the Pilgrim. (Not that I went last time. But I saw the whole town in the procession.) She sounds kind of... regretful. Dry. The way I feel inside, hollow and strange.

I stare at the casket, because I don't know where else to put my eyes, and with one hard blink, I'm crying. It's quiet at first, but I know it's going to turn loud and sloppy soon, because I'm always a mess when I cry. Maybe I won't make a scene... or maybe I should, just to be different this time, just to really grieve right. If the others didn't cry when it was their turn for this funeral, at least I can, right?

quote:

Theresa Pilgrim, the Fates
Look: Distracted, wide eyes
Origin: voices in the head

Hot 0 (+1 Maiden, -1 Mother/Crone)
Cold 0 (+1 Crone, -1 Maiden/Mother)
Volatile 0 (+1 Mother, -1 Maiden/Crone)
Dark 2

Moves:

The Tangled Skein
You have three aspects. Each aspect provides a bonus to one Stat and a penalty to two others. You are always in one of three aspects. At the beginning of the game, you can choose which aspect you are currently in. Many Fates moves will tell you to change aspects, but you can only change aspects once per scene.

* The Maiden - You gain +1 Hot, but -1 Volatile and Cold while in this aspect. When you follow your passions regardless of propriety or tact for yourself or others, change aspects.
* The Mother - You gain +1 Volatile, but 1 Hot and Cold while in this aspect. When you harm those that have harmed someone or something you love, change aspects.
* The Crone - You gain +1 Cold, but -1 Hot and Volatile while in this aspect. When you break a longstanding bond or ruin a relationship or friendship, change aspects.

Changing aspects follows a progression: The Mother follows the Maiden, the Crone follows the Mother, and the Maiden follows the Crone.

Washer at the Ford
When you gaze into the abyss to learn about someone, add the following option to the 10 and up list: "the visions show you their fate. You give them the Doomed condition and change aspects." Add the following to the 7-9 list: "the visions show you a glimpse of fate. Change aspects."

A Feast For Crows
When you change aspects, you gain a benefit: when you become the Maiden, you may remove a Condition; when you become the Mother, heal 1 Harm; when you become the Crone, mark experience.

Backstory
Shanie has relied on your advice and warnings. Gain 2 strings on them.

Your fatalism and dire prognostications have Ravenna and Hannah. One someone gains 2 strings on you, or two someones gain 1 string on you each.

Darkest Self
For too long everyone has ignored your warnings and avoided the futures that you have foreseen and which were due them. No longer can they be allowed to shirk their fated moments. You will guide the hand of destiny yourself and cut those threads that have grown beyond their ordained length, so that no one will think themselves above the order of things ever again. You escape your Darkest Self when you have changed your aspects three times, or when someone proves to you definitively that their fate can be avoided or ignored.

Sex Move
When you lay with another, you gain a glimpse of their destiny. You change aspects and give them the Doomed Romance condition. When someone who already has the Doomed Romance condition sleeps with someone other than you who doesn’t have it, they lose the condition and the person they slept with gains it instead. Doomed Romance counts as Doomed for all Fates moves.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Hot: 2 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: +1 --- Experience: 0/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: - None

Ha! As if. These people don't give a poo poo about Annie - not who she really was, as far as I can tell. For one thing, she was a witch. What a nice little christian funeral they've got for the little dead witch. How appropriate. And she got killed for it too. And what is there to celebrate? I'm sure I've said it, but Annie was like me, coming from the opposite direction. Respectability, but she knew how to have a good time just like the best of us, and that was when she really shone. That, and more literally during her magic show. So as far as I'm concerned, if you want to honor her memory or whatever, the only real way is to have a good time, get stinking drunk in her memory, and failing being able to practice magic, give the church a finger. So I did. Metaphorically.

Look, given all that, even I'm not about to come to a funeral drunk or looking like I'm here for a party. I've got a respectable black skirt and black button shirt, and I even took of my hat. What I did do though, as a sop to her, was wear a nice silver inverted pentagram necklace. Figured I'd throw it in the grave afterwards. Typically, the priest saw it right off the bat, and the more religious people in the family. So they're all looking at me like I'm trying to get her sent down to hell instead. Which is still better than my parents, who keep looking at me like they want ME to get sent down to hell. We had a bit of an argument about my cloths. See, they thought this long skirt - it's practically four inches above the knees! - shows off too much skin, sends the wrong message. And they had this nice loving habit for me to wear, but gently caress that. And do you know how much that thing costs to rent? They'd never get the deposit back after I'm through with it, they should be grateful! Assholes.

The Maenad posted:

Skin
Name: Ravenna Bachman
Look: intense, mocking eyes
Origin: child of chaos

Stats
Hot +2
Cold -1
Volatile -1
Dark +1

Moves
Bad Influence
When you tempt someone to act against their best interests or stated desires in the name of having fun: if they decline, you gain a String on them or they gain the killjoy condition, their choice. If they accept, they gain a String on you and lose the killjoy condition if they have it.

When you have fewer Strings on someone than they have on you, they may add 1 to rolls against you as though you have the condition reckless.

Magnetic
When you take this move, pick one: fighting.

When you do that thing, your passion is entrancing, cathartic, and all-consuming. Name someone in eyesight or earshot and roll with Dark. On a 10 up, that person just has to come talk to you, and you carry 1 forward toward dealing with them. On a 7-9, that person may choose to erase one of their Conditions or gain a string on you. If they do, carry 1 forward.

Raving
When you brag publicly about your decadent or degenerate exploits, add 2 to your roll to turn someone on.

Sex Move
When you have sex with one person, you erase a Condition and they gain a String on you. When you have sex with multiple people, convert one String each participant has on you into a String on another participant.

Darkest Self

You're spiraling out of control and don't how to put on the brakes; your promises and obligations fall to the wayside. When you want to say something, you say it. When you want to do something, you do it—consequences be damned. Give in to your every temptation (loving, fighting, or otherwise) without reserve. You escape your darkest self when your satisfaction comes at significant cost to yourself or someone you care about.

Aina, highlight Hot

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Hot -1 | Cold 0 | Volatile 2
Trespass < 0 > Forgiveness
EXP 0/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions: none

When I was seven, my Uncle Fadil passed away. I didn't even really understand, at the time, you know? Later, of course, I missed hearing his voice, sitting on his knee, laughing at his ridiculous jokes. But the funeral... to me it was just a strange day where I had to wear a funny white dress and everyone cried. But... but this is different. Uncle Fadil was 68 when he was... taken into the arms of God. My cousins talked all about the amazing things he did, the places he traveled to... but Anne... oh God...

Mnhh. God have mercy. And... and forgive me for being so heartless that I can't, can't even cry at this poor girl's funeral!

God, what a worthless idiot I am. Weak and shallow.

Honestly, I feel guilty just being here; do these poor people know what a fraud I am, sitting here like I'm a friend of this, this girl I've only really met once? Even back home I only knew her a little bit. And I get to go back and find that Anne still alive! I wrap my arms around my shoulders and squeeze my eyes closed. My heart feels like ice, heavy and cold, and my throat is dry and tight, but still... the tears won't come.

Ms. Villanueve, God bless her, didn't see this problem coming. She told me to cry as much as I needed, that nobody would blame me or make fun of me, that if I cried, that just showed how much I loved Anne. She seemed worried that I... I guess that I wouldn't be able to... take it, somehow. That I would be ashamed to cry? Why would I be ashamed of that? I'm not sure... well... here I am, Ms. V. If crying would be a sign of love, what does this mean, hmm?

I almost give a sick little laugh at that. What is wrong with me?

The empty chair next to me is just making me look even more out of place. Where on Earth is my sister? I saved a space for her; I was sure she'd show up. She and Anne are practically best friends! But... she didn't come. Maybe here... maybe this Sara and this Anne aren't... as close? I want to ask Sara about it, but how could I even bring something like that up?

Stop. Just stop. I should be listening to the eulogy, it is very sweet. I glance -- again -- back at Shanie. She looks so miserable and hot here in the sun. ...oh no, oh God, she saw me staring! The look on her face... I quickly avert my eyes and bite my lip. Is she looking at me? I bet she's still looking at me.

Of course... right in front of me, there's Theresa, lost in tears, sobbing like it's the end of the world. I shift nervously, my seat suddenly feeling even more uncomfortable when I think about how I must look, sitting behind that.

Oh God, please let this be over soon.

...no, no, no, I shouldn't think that, ugggh.

quote:

Hannah Bashir, the Angel
proud, bright eyes
theme song

Hot -1, Cold 0, Volatile 2
Trespass < 0 > Forgiveness

Cast From Heaven
You no longer have a dark stat. Instead, you have a scale, moving between Trespass and Forgiveness. It starts at 0. When asked to roll with dark, roll with Trespass instead. Whenever you subjugate yourself to someone else’s will, move the marker toward Forgiveness. Whenever you judge and punish others without God’s permission, move the marker toward Trespass. If Trespass or Forgiveness is highlighted, mark experience whenever you roll with that stat or shift the marker in that direction.

Gaze Into Heaven
When you gaze into heaven, as a servant of God, roll with Forgiveness. On a 10 up, you are filled with his voice, and may ask him for guidance or command. Carry one forward to whatever you’d like. On a 7-9, you are greeted by one of his emissaries, who will impart to you a mission. Carry one forward to completing that mission.

When you gaze into heaven, as a spurious and hateful child, it counts as gazing into the abyss. On a 10 up, add this option to the list: the visions show you what God fears most from you, and you carry 1 forward to realizing that fear. On a 7-9, add this option to the list: the visions show you how you have upset or bewildered God.

Halo
When you turn someone on, roll with Forgiveness.

Sex Move
When you have sex, you are reminded of your purpose here on earth. Lose one of your Skin moves and gain a different one.

Darkest Self
You've fought so hard to distance yourself from the lord, to establish autonomy and independence. In doing so, you've unwittingly stumbled into the service of another power greater than yourself. You will carry out their will as if it were your own. Whenever possible, you'll convince yourself that you're doing this of your own volition. You escape your Darkest Self when you realize who's been tempting you down this dark path, and beg others to save you.

megane fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 3, 2017

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
String sheet includes your MC highlights so take a glance.

I should state of course that the string sheet is here, I suppose.

The service proceeds much as you'd expect it to - family and (supposed) friends of Annie step forward to say things like "a life ended too soon" and talk about her "potential" and "promise".

Eventually, things move inside the funeral home, to a bit more a social - if still somewhat formal, atmosphere. The term funeral home is the sort of thing that always seems like an contradiction in terms. A home for the dead. Or for the living to remember the dead, anyway.

But however morbid that thought process is, nevertheless you all find yourself inside. The Harris' didn't arrange for a wake beforehand - maybe because the entire thing was rushed, if well-appointed. So this sort of serves. Everyone who was at the funeral is here - along with a couple other people you might not have expected. But who? Give me a name - if it's somebody new, tell me a bit about them. Oh, and why is it weird they're here?

The six of you all find yourselves near the table where the funeral director has laid out a tastefully bland affair. Little bits of vegetables and crackers and assorted dips. Water. You imagine the adults will be drinking later, but there's no alcohol here, now.

The music playing over the speakers, softly, is all Annie's favorites. Probably retrieved from her computer by her parents since her phone is still missing, probably destroyed by whatever, whoever...

...anyway. So the six of you are all there. Together. For the first time since the last time you saw her. And with the messages you all received this morning that paranoia has got to be pretty strong, hasn't it? But looking at the assemblage - could one of you really have done that to her? Aside from the fact that you all seem more-or-less miserable, there's the logistics of it. Annie was athletic, spry, quick-witted. And she had magic. So whoever did it...

...well, if they know what you are, too, then they must be pretty frightening, themselves.

Shanie

Plenty of people wanted to be near Annie, close to Annie, like Annie - so why do you think they're singling you out? Just a scapegoat? Who says something off-color at the funeral home? What do they say? How do you react?

Aina

It's disgusting, isn't it? There's the Cartwrights - Georgia and her parents and her brothers, all sad smiles and condolences for the Harris', the head of the line of mourners, of course - but Georgia was the closest to Annie and that was as an enemy. You really want to say something to her, don't you? Something hostile? Do you? If not, what's stopping you?

Theresa

Something about having been through this twice before...well sort of anyway, lets you pick up on something that the others aren't seeing, yet. What is it? Who fills you in about it? And are you going to share it? Or is this something you really feel like you have to keep to yourself?

Zoe

This is all very sad, but it's also very time-consuming. And with the additional task imposed upon you by the Texter, you're really starting to fall behind. Still, something's keeping you here. Or rather, someone. They're talking your ear off and in a situation like this it'd be really rude to leave. What're they saying? Why are you still listening to this?

Ravenna

Clearly, this party - and that's what a wake should be right, a party? - is too boring. What are you going to try and do to spice things up a little bit? After all, Annie wouldn't want everybody moping, right? That wasn't her - listen to the music, I mean, seriously. In a way you knew her better than anybody - well, at least from one angle. So who needs the most cheering? And what are you going to do to cheer them up?

Hannah

So you see these Cartwright people giving their condolences to the Harris' - did they even exist in your world? Are they giving you any weird vibes? Something not settling right about them? How about anybody else? I mean, the fact you haven't cried hasn't gone unnoticed - everyone grieves differently, but someone's giving you an ugly look from across the room, anyway. Who?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I spend the first ten minutes or so in the funeral home in the restroom, just trying to clean up: washing my face one, twice, three times, blowing my nose until I think it's not running any longer, and reapplying a little bit of foundation and powder from my purse so I don't look quite so blotchy. God, I'm a mess when I cry.

People noticed, too. I knew they noticed, and I know Zoe in particular gave me a glance, and I don't think it was a nice one. Should I apologize, tell her I'm just a messy crier and I didn't mean to make a scene? Or would she dislike me even more for it? When I step out of the restroom, I realize it's a moot point; someone else is already talking her ear off. It'd be ruder to interrupt, wouldn't it?

I'm still not sure what to do. I still feel faintly hollow at the core, heavy at the limbs, so for now I decide to try and blend in. I put together a small plate of vegetables and dip, just a little, and eat a piece of broccoli (less crunchy than the carrots, less noise). It's then that the Pilgrim whispers in my ear: (Three o' clock, darling. Cammie. Take a good look at her. What a shameful little magpie she is.)

I turn my head slowly, and there's Cammie, waiting awkwardly behind Georgia Cartwright -- waiting to talk to Mr. and Mrs. Harris, I guess? I should probably do that too... but then I realize what the Pilgrim's trying to tell me. The jewelry. Cammie's wearing chunky bangles of semi-precious gemstones on both wrists, with multicolored dangly earrings: not funeral jewelry. Even as I watch, she's trying to tuck one of the bangles under the cuff of her long sleeve, because she knows as well as I do that it stands out like a sore thumb. She's tucked her necklace under her shell, but I recognize the woven gold chain.

It's Annie's jewelry, all of it. The jewelry Annie wore to the party. The bracelets, the earrings, the necklace... I think there was an anklet, too, but Cammie's wearing long pants and I can't see if she's got that on. But she's wearing everything else, so how can the anklet not be there?

Why does Cammie have Annie's party jewelry? Why is she wearing it, all of it, to a funeral? I think hard enough that the Pilgrim can hear me. (It's a mystery,) she says. (I'd guess she's gloating.) But she doesn't look proud, even a little proud, so... I don't know.

I'm not sure who to tell this to. It feels like someone else ought to know, though -- but who? The others are here... but where do I start?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

EXP: 0/5 (H)(D) | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions:

I cried a few tears during the service, and listened to Zoe make sobbing noises or something, like she was suffocating? And I guess my makeup was smudged after that, if only because I see Theresa has washed off some of hers and she was crying a lot too. But I don't care that much. I know people cry at these things (I mean, now I do), so why try to hide it? But my running mascara was like a small cloud of blood in a shark tank.

"You look nice, Shanie... did the morticians work on you too?"

Her name is Sung Mi-Ran, but people call her "Mimi," because the original language of her name is hard, I guess? I mean, it's all human to me.
She's the leader of the girl's swim team. She was one of Annie's top ten, and because of that she made swimming popular for the school. I joined swim team because of her and not, you know, hmm-hmhmm! When she hits the water, it's something magical.
But she's also stone-cold. She doesn't date, because anyone who was brave enough to ask her out has been... overwhelmed. She speaks with intensity, she dresses and acts meticulously in ways that look carefree to a stranger, and she doesn't break eye contact with her conversation target unless she's about to strike at their heart. She sees everything, and she's not afraid to call out something below her standards. She is, by the dictionary definition, perfect. But she wasn't Annie perfect.
And I think she despised Annie for that. She camouflaged her resentment while in Annie's presence, but now that she's gone...

I ask her, "Morticians?" Is that a pun on beautician? I'm not familiar with it.
"God, you look just like her. I bet if you hopped into the casket they'd have thought you were twins."
Her tone bites. She's trying to confuse me, and make me upset. And why me? Why not Cammie, or Zoe maybe? I take a tissue out of my pocket and wipe my cheeks. "Annie was one-of-a-kind."
"... You're right." She takes that as a win, from the tiny smile she's keeping from me.

I can think of one reason why I get this attention. I haven't done what Mimi does, not yet. I'm not cruel. I don't fight... which means I don't fight back. To get as close as I had to Annie without a list of... what did Trevor call it? Conquests? I don't have a story here. I don't have baggage here. I just look pretty and say what I think people want to hear.

As I approach the table, I notice Hannah. I mean, it's hard not to, the way she's dressed.
Hannah has to be the one that texted me, right? She has my pelt. She could have had pictures before that. This whole thing could have been her trying to trick me. First I have your pictures, then I have your pelt, do this, do that! She's worse than Mimi, since at least I know Mimi's deal.
Or maybe she's not. The text this morning shouldn't have happened if she was the texter the first time, right? Her cover is already blown, so there's no need to hide... right?
Never mind. I spent enough time during the service looking toward Hannah, so let's try not to pay attention to her at the table. I know she's here, as well as the rest of us who... We were the ones Annie trusted the most. I mean, there's no other explanation, is there? Even if we weren't all close to her, she brought us together.

I want to say something. I just don't want to be the one that does it.

I think I'll have some crackers and dip...

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 4, 2017

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Hot: 2 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: +1 --- Experience: 0/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: - None

What a lovely loving wake. I've been to funerals that we're livelier than this, and this isn't even the funeral part. And believe me, I have all sorts of ideas to make this a better fitting uh... remembrance or whatever this is supposed to be. I've discounted most of them already, but the one I didn't was uh... enhancing the water. I mean. Water. Not even a loving bowl of punch? So uh, I added a bunch of gin to it when no one was looking. And some tonic water to hide the taste. So things should be getting a bit more interesting soon enough. It's almost enough to make me want to smile. Especially seeing just how many glasses that shithead Billy Mendel is downing. Not entirely sure what he's doing here, don't think he and Annie ever got along, but he'll be paying for it soon enough.

That'll be fun. In the meantime though... lot of sad faces around here. I should help someone out. Cammie maybe, has been awfully broken up about all of this, but I've already given her the fix she was looking for before the funeral - pretty sure that's both the reason she was able to get through it without breaking down totally during the ceremony and for her vacant stare right now. Oh wellll. Aina would have to be her closest friend otherwise, right? Still no idea what she saw in her, but she's got spirit, like I saw at the party. She's definitely holding it together better than Camme is, but... I move over to her, sipping at my own glass of 'water'. Out of everyone there, she's the one I'd least suspect being behind the blackmail. It's not her style, at least not that kind of blackmail. Reputation isn't the sort of thing she thinks much of. "Hey." I speak in a soft voice to her, keeping it low to avoid people overhearing. "This isn't right, is it?"

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

There's a pain in my right hand. Kind of sharp, but kind of dull. It's been there for a while, and it's the only thing keeping me sane right now.

I look down. There's a fork in my left hand, and it's being jabbed into my right. Into my other palm. This has been going on for about... a minute now? The constant feeling of pain is starting to feel like background noise. I don't know if that's good.

I'm doing this because if I don't I feel like I'm going to get up and give Georgia a piece of my mind. Why is she even here? It's bad enough that there's people here that never really cared about her, but people that actually hated her? gently caress off. Do you feel like you won, Georgia? Or are you finally feeling some basic, human guilt?

It's not like I don't want to get back at her. But I'm not going to start poo poo at a wake. And I don't want to draw attention, either. Not even just because of the text thing. It's just a bad idea.

There's an old Witch saying, "Revenge done right is a two-course meal." You're not supposed to jump in and do it. That's not what Hexes are about. It's about taking your time, being patient, and setting up the right opportunity. And right now I don't have that, so I'm going to stay put. And keep jabbing this fork into my hand.

I wonder if there's anything I could take from her. I turn my head and look over to where she's sitting. Did she leave something behind...?

Wait. I suddenly jolt upright a little bit, like I'm being woken up from something. Is there someone looking at me, the way I'm looking at her? Watching my every move. Waiting for the right opportunity. There's a murderer out there. And they might even be at this very table.

Six people. Six people that saw Annie. Six people that know about Annie. And maybe you, Aina. Don't forget to watch your back.

But who could it be? Zoe? She's got the right ingredients to snap, but- does she even have time to be a serial killer? Why would she, anyway? Ravenna? No, probably not. But she probably knows something. Or knows somebody. Theresa, maybe? She's been crying a lot, but- did she even know Annie that well? And there's Hannah, and Shanie... I can't think of anything wrong with them, but...

Whoever's doing this, there's a lot about them you don't know. They killed Annie. Whoever they are, they're not who you think they are. Trust nobody.

I look back over at the rest of the room. Just maybe to take my mind off this table for a little bit. And I see Evan over in the corner, staring at his phone. He doesn't really look bored, it's more like... he doesn't really talk to people, does he? He's just kind of there, sometimes. A loner. So why's he here? It's not like he knows anybody here. Or maybe... maybe he's just here for Annie?

But while I'm staring at him, I hear a quiet voice from behind me. It's Ravenna. "Hey. This isn't right, is it?"

I freeze up a little bit, fork still in my hand. There's a million things I could say, but...

I put the fork down. My hand still feels sore when I take it away.

"...It's not," I say, as a matter of fact. It's the only thing that quickly comes to mind. I have to think for a second before I say anything more. "Most of these people don't even care about her."

That's putting it kind of mildly. If you really think about it, nobody cares about Annie except- Wait, was Ravenna asking about the funeral, or the murder?

I turn around and look at her with a controlled, stony expression. I give her look that tries its best to not acknowledge how hosed up I am about Annie right now.

"It's... hosed up that it happened."

That's not really saying anything at all. But what can I say? It's not like I can tell her what's actually going through my head...

Takanago fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 5, 2017

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

The reflection of light on mental draws my eyes down for a moment to spot the fork being placed on the table, and my eyes linger for a second. What was she doing with that? I haven't figured it out though when she responds. "Right." I nod once in decided agreement. These people don't care. "Or if they think they do, they don't care about the real her. Just who they think she was." Or... did she think I meant her dying? Obviously that's not right either, but... nothing we can do about that. "Yeah... but I meant this." I wave my hand around at the 'party'. "Annie wouldn't have wanted this conservative christian garbage 'celebration'. We should do something. Scandalize these assholes who want to whitewash who she was."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

EXP: 1/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Killjoy

Actually, I'm viewing my president run as the first step to move the dance. The president isn't on that committee, but I'd be sure to have a lot more authority to lean on people to get what I want. Or what the texter wants, anyway. I can't really say I'd care either way. I mean, the dance is just going to be another friend that I go with so Mom and Dad can take their pictures and go to bed feeling good about raising such a good girl who does all the normal high school things.

As for now, honestly? I've never met this person before in my life! But, she introduced herself as Kathy, Annie's cousin, and apparently, she's going to be in town for a few weeks as her parents help Annie's parents with the rest of their arrangements. And the girl doesn't seem able to stop talking. She's going on and on about Annie, and yes, we all miss her, and yes, the service was just wonderful (...well... at least that's what one says at a funeral, no matter what), and YES, it's so tragic what happened to Annie, and...

I think my head is about to fall off from nodding so much!

If I had the time, I'm sure I'd love to just be absolute besties with this Kathy girl, but I have a schedule to keep! So, I beg off, saying that I have to make sure the rest of my friends are doing ok, but I'd love to talk about Annie another time.

<Capfalcon_work> Escape from the chatterbox.
<Capfalcon_work> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon_work, 6+1 = 7

I'll give her a string (as she's threatening to eat the rest of my day with her mouth!)

Thankfully, she seems to accept that for the moment, and just smiles at me, saying, "I'm glad Annie had such thoughtful friends. Don't worry. I'll find you later."

And given what's been going on lately, that sure sent a chill down my spine. But that's just me being paranoid. I mean, it's not even like she was in town when Annie passed, right?

Anyway, I should be heading home, but I need to talk to at least one of the others before I can go home to work. Don't want Katie to kick up a scene. Ravena looks like she's plotting something with Aina, so best to stay away from that. And out of the others... Theresa. Yes, I don't want to possibly have Shanie flirt with me here, and I don't really know Hannah that well to begin with.

As I approach her, I see she's staring at Cammie and seems kind of out of it. I wonder if that's how those future visions work.

While she's staring, I walk up and make sure she sees me so she won't jump and make a scene. Then, I ask, "See something interesting?"

Just a little emphasis on the see. Nothing that unusual. If she wasn't paranoid about a secret, anyway.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

EXP: 1/5 (+1)(D) | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions:

This is the relief people refer to as "breaking the ice." Yes, it's like a pressure was shattered. Listening to Ravenna and Aina lifted the mood a little more than just silence. I might have been close to crying again. Instead, I can calmly drink my water... No, this isn't water. Well, it is, but there's clearly something in it. Luckily, my palate is well-trained for finding contaminants.

Oh, my bad, it's just alcohol! That must be what people do to get back to their senses after all this crying. Well, that's fine by me. After all I had at Annie's party, I can tell this stuff is at least a little useful for socializing. I take a couple more-healthy sips and listen to what Ravenna is saying. Scandalize, whitewash... Are those even words?

Is whitewash what she does to her hair?

I look around the table. Zoe is talking to Theresa, Ravenna is talking to Aina. Does that mean I'm supposed to talk to Hannah? I look at her and it's like my mind is refocusing after being hit by that mad drink. She takes on a kind of glow in this dreary environment, or maybe my vision is getting fuzzy. I just kinda look at her for a bit... and I grin a little. Why would it be her? I mean, why would it be me too, but that's just it. I can't imagine anyone here would want to hurt Annie, unless they hate magic. And who would?

The people holding the funeral! I don't know much about iconography, but this service was definitely Christian in nature. And they have a thing against witches, from what history class has taught me. So that must be what Ravenna means. But... what's there to protest? We could be the only people that know about that... or we could not. Someone could have seen it from a distance, someone could have seen her when she was alone, or maybe there's more to magic than just seeing it...

So, I mean, yeah, this could be against Annie's wishes. I mean, death was surely against her wishes, so the funeral is just right out. Yeah, we need to scantilate. "You know..." I say to Ravenna, looking at my cup of 'water.' "I think you're right. We need to show that Annie was real, and living, not a picture or a memory." I look at Ravenna, and think about what I saw that night. She was still her, but she was different. She was herself. That's what we need. "We need an experience. Something real, something that gets people talking." I down the rest of my drink, still looking her way, then thud the empty cup on the table. "What do you think? What could we do?"

What's something people aren't doing here? What's something Ravenna is good at, and something I won't feel bad about?

"I have an idea..." ...Kissing? I could kiss her. I take another look at her, top to bottom. She's not a big person, but she likes to show off her legs. I kinda nudge the side of her shin with my toe. Maybe I'm just drinked, but I think this could be fun. "...But I'll need a volunteer." And I pucker my lips, a little. Okay, maybe a lot.

[17:00:30] <RWT> Okay, turning on Ravenna.
[17:00:35] <RWT> !roll 2d6
[17:00:36] <Krysmbot> RWT, 4 = 4

What a way to ring in a game. Okay, since the move didn't work... I'll spend a String and offer an Experience if Ravenna will kiss Shanie right here, right now.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 6, 2017

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Hot: 2 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: +1 --- Experience: 2/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: - None

I look over at Shanie, a little surprised. I didn't - I don't - really know much about her. She's the new girl, kind of cute, a little clueless, and she was at the party when Annie showed us her magic. But here she is, suggesting exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. I grin, glancing from her to Aina, wink, and look back again. "That's an idea... Let's offend some people." Reaching out, I put one of my hands to rest on the small of her back, pulling her in a little closer, but cover her lips with a finger. "Not like that, relax." The fish face was kind of cute, in a 'she has no idea what she's doing' sense. "I'll show you." Moving my hand around to the back of her head, I hold her steady and show her -and anyone else watching- exactly how to kiss someone.

[18:29:18] <GodFish> turn on Aina
[18:29:21] <GodFish> !r 2d6+2
[18:29:22] <Krysmbot> GodFish, 7+2 = 9
[18:29:58] <GodFish> turn on Shanie
[18:30:00] <GodFish> !r 2d6+2
[18:30:02] <Krysmbot> GodFish, 5+2 = 7
Self, promise or string from both of you~

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"Oh-- oh," I stammer, as Zoe approaches me. I was almost wondering if I might spend the entire funeral not talking to anyone. Would that have been a bad thing or a good one? Well, it's a moot point now. "Hi, Zoe. I'm sorry, I didn't see you there..."

And then I lower my voice. "Um. Cammie. Do you, uh, doesn't her jewelry look a little familiar? It looks a lot like Annie's. Did she give it to her, do you think?"

Or... there are other options. The obvious one is that she stole it from her body, but she wouldn't be that crazy to wear evidence like that to a funeral, right? Maybe Annie's parents have started giving her things away. Already? That doesn't seem right either; they just got back, after all, and they wouldn't be getting rid of Annie's things so fast. Would they be?

"... I'm sorry, it's probably crazy. I don't know. I'm sorry about earlier; I'm just a mess." And I don't even know why, which is always the worst thing.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Scandalize these assholes?

A smile sneaks onto my face when Ravenna first brings up the idea. I probably shouldn't smile, but it just feels so ironic to hear someone else complain about how hosed-up this Christian funeral is. And the idea of doing something to put these assholes in their place is, well... fun, I have to admit.

Even if it's kind of a naive idea. But if even Ravenna wants to do something, maybe I'm the wrong one for worrying so much... Is keeping a low profile worth it, if it means putting up with all the world's poo poo?

While I'm pondering this, Shanie comes over and... Ravenna starts making out with her. Holy poo poo?

Any previous thought I had in my head just disappears. What was I thinking about again? Some kind of moral dilemma? There's just these two girls, making out right in front of me. At Annie's funeral? Technically it's a wake. Oh. I'm staring at them. Well, of course I'm staring at them. What else should I do? Join in? Don't be ridiculous. It's not like you can three-way kiss anyway.

I don't know what to think. My mind races back and forth between some kind of reflexive disapproval, I mean, this is Annie's funeral... and feeling like... I should be doing something similar?

I can't help but feel a little... I don't know, jealous? Or not jealous, but- I mean- making out right here is such a ridiculous idea- but if anybody did it, it should be me, right? How much does Shanie even care about Annie, anyway? And she doesn't even look like she's doing it right. Would I even be doing it right? Wait, no, you're overthinking this, Aina.

I don't really know what else to do, so I just look away and take a drink from my water. Which tastes kind of weird. How long until someone else notices?

Aina gives Ravenna a String on her. Now up to 3.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

EXP: 1/5 (D)(H) | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions:

Yes, this is exactly what I thought would happen. Ravenna had to lead, sure, but it's exactly what I expected. Just two people, pressing their lips against each other. And from what she said, someone is going to be extremely offended by this for some reason. After a few seconds, the chemicals kick in and it becomes... something. She has her hand on my back, so I put my hand on her behind, and stroke her cheek with my thumb.

After a few indulgent moments, we break for air and I whisper to her, "Let's make a scene." I put my hands on her waist and lead her, as best as I can walking backwards in heels (no small feat, I'm sure), to an empty table. I kiss her one more time, feeling one hand on the tabletop. You know, to make sure nothing's gonna poke me. Then I sit myself on it and try to pull her on top of me by leaning back mid-kiss and keeping one hand on her waist. I should hope I don't have to say anything.

Shanie is giving Ravenna what she wants: a big scandalous scene.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Shanie and Ravenna

Just about as soon as Shanie sits on the table and is trying to coax Ravenna into it, suddenly you're separated.

"Okay Shanie, that's enough." Comes Mr. Pauling's voice, and well, his hands as he pries the two of you apart and carefully, but insistently, pulls Shanie off the table and takes her by the wrist, away from Ravenna.

Once he's around the corner he tilts his head and gives you what he hopes is a teacher-authority look.

"Listen, I know this is a confusing sort of thing for you, but...whatever Ravenna suggested, don't." He gestures at everybody. "Annie's parents are having a hard time with today, do you get that? Do you really want to make them more upset?"

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

EXP: 1/5 (D)(H) | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions:

I think that's Ravenna's hand for a moment, so I don't really resist until I open my eyes and see Mr. Pauling to the side. To be honest, I expected that too. I'm not supposed to get what I want. Not up here.

He asks me if I understand what's going on. With Annie's parents, the service, and getting upset. My lips are bugging me, like they think Ravenna should still be there. "I'm upset too." The alcohol is making things get less real, but it's okay, because none of this is real. It's a show to put on for her parents, to help them finish this horrible thing and then lock it away like it never happened. "Annie meant so much to us. I can't forget about it. She was..." She was everything that mattered.

"Murdered." Homicide, killing, manslaughter. I had to look it up to understand, and I still don't. "Somebody took her, and ripped her away from us!" Like he did, just now, when I was trying to feel something like joy. In comes the tide, and the tears with it. "It doesn't make sense. So I did that, because it didn't make sense." It was Ravenna's idea, and I'm sure he gets that, but the whole point was to get people's attention, wasn't it? "Bad things happen to good people... and we're supposed to come here and act like we'll be okay?" It feels like we're all being punished for taking advantage of Annie while she was here. She made us all so happy that something needed to show us that we don't need her. That without her, we would be alright.

"Because I'm not."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

...Well, I don't really know what I was expecting. A sign that she's some sort of mastermind behind everything awful that's happened in the few last weeks, I guess. And yes, I realize it's silly when I say it like that.

Anyway, I take a look where she's pointing, and I nod, seeing she's got a point. It's obviously similar, but I don't know if it's Annie's stuff for sure.

"Maybe... She could just have bought similar stuff as Annie, right? Everyone followed after Annie when it came to fashion, but Cammie took it kinda far, right? Anyway, when would she have given it to Cammie? I mean... she... you know... it happened sometime after the party, and it's kinda weird to just take off all your jewelry and dump it in someone's hands at a party."

My voice grows more uncertain as I go, since it REALLY looks like Annie's stuff.

I finally add, conceding, "...It really does look like hers, though."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"You're right; maybe she bought a matching set? They don't look that expensive." I hadn't really thought of that, but it'd make sense, wouldn't it? Maybe Cammie and Annie went to the mall together, or Cammie went there after she saw Annie's stuff to get her own set. "That makes more sense than Annie giving her her things, I agree. Someone would have noticed if she'd taken those earrings off, I think..." Did she take those earrings off? I can't remember exactly, but I don't think so...

"I just don't know why she'd wear it here," I reply. "To, um... to remember Annie, I guess? But wearing jewelry like that at a funeral just seems really..."

I nervously glance away, and then it all hits me at once -- Shanie on the table, then being dragged away by Mr. Pauling, who's her legal guardian or something? Ravenna left in the lurch, Aina watching...

"... awkward," I finish at a whisper. "Um. Yeah."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Hot: 2 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: +1 --- Experience: 2/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: - None

Mmm, it takes her a moment, but with just my brief example, she picks up what to do quite nicely. I couldn't have said from that kissy face she was trying, but maybe she has done this before. I slide my hand down her back to help lift her up as we walk to the table, pushing myself enthusiastically against her as we really get into it. And then, before I can really enjoy it, someone's pulling us apart. Mr. Pauling. Smirking, I let him separate us, since it seems I've already done what I set out to do, and got a good (really good) kiss in the bargain, but that doesn't stop me from shooting a parting shot at him in a low voice as he leaves, "Jealous?"

Shaking my head slowly with amusement, I turn and move back to Aina, grinning, and take a seat on the edge of the table next to her, picking up my glass of 'water' again. "What do you think? Good start?" I lean a little closer, dropping my voice so she'll need to move in to hear as well, my breath playing across her skin. "What to give it a try?"

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Trespass - - < - - - - Forgiveness
EXP 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions: none

I bite my lip. This is... what are they doing? We're at a funeral! No, no, no, I must'nt judge people, they're just... messing around, that's how Ravenna is, and oh my God she just KISSED HER what what

what

My hands hurt a little, and when I look down I see that they've clenched themselves into tight little fists. I sit up straight and stare... stare anywhere but at Shanie and Ravenna. My face feels bright red, how dare they? I've been so worked up about, about... looking sad, like I'm supposed to, and now this?

Finally they get broken up by ...wait isn't he a teacher what on Earth some guy, and Ravenna comes back. I try to unclench my fists a little. It's over, nothing happened, it was just... people expr oh for Heaven's sake Ravenna can you STOP??

...wait.

I. I think I just said that out loud. Did I say that out loud?

Oh God.

I clap my hands over my mouth, mortified. Oh no, oh no, why did I say that??

(3:43:25 AM) megane: shut down ravenna
(3:43:27 AM) megane: !r 2d6
(3:43:28 AM) Krysmbot: megane, 3 = 3

I'm assuming I take +1 Trespass for judging someone without God's permission.

megane fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 7, 2017

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Shanie

Mr. Pauling looks a bit...confused. He's used to students getting emotional, sure, but, lake monsters who he's kind of-sort of adopted getting emotional about not being allowed to make out with another girl at a girl's wake? That wasn't something his degree taught him exactly.

"You don't need to act like you're okay, but today isn't about you, or me, or Ravenna, or even Annie's parents - it's about Annie. Maybe for the last time so, be mindful it's not just your memory of Annie that people are holding onto, okay?"

Wise words? Maybe. But how do you feel about them. Before you get a chance to respond, though...

Theresa and Zoe

How do you two feel about Camille vis a vis Annie anyway, though - neither of you were precisely close to Annie, I mean, not as close as some, maybe not even as close as Camille. Still, she never really exactly just cloned Annie, right?

She's definitely up to something though, as she goes to hug Mr. Harris and Mrs. Harris after talking to them, a hand slips into Mr. Harris' pants for a moment and fishes out his wallet, apparently without his noticing. Before either of you really get a chance to react though...

Everybody

"oh for Heaven's sake Ravenna can you STOP!?" Comes a very shouty, and indeed maybe a little jealous and needy sounding, Hannah in the corner, clearly yelling at Ravenna for the escapades. It's enough to distract everyone.

Long enough for Camille to slip out unnoticed.

And it certainly focuses everyone's attention on the corner, and very explicitly on Hannah.

Ravenna, gain a string on Hannah since she's clearly jealous she's not getting any attention.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

"What do you think? Good start?"

"Yeah, it's a start," I say, looking up at Ravenna who's now sitting kind of above me. I'm smiling, a bit more maybe than I should be. I don't even stop to worry about it this time, like I probably should. Like I probably normally would. But I guess I'm a bit distracted... and warm...

Ravenna leans in closer and starts to get quiet, so I lean in too.

And then I feel her breath and voice on my cheek. "Want to give it a try?"

I instantly pull back and giggle, moving my hand up to my mouth to maybe not make it so obvious. "Hehehehe." It's a better response than the idea probably deserves, to be honest. It's not so much about causing a scene now, is it? Even I can loving tell.

"Hmmm..." I look away and put on a show of thinking. This whole thing might come naturally for her, but it takes me a little bit to think up the right response. "Wasn't this supposed to be about Annie? I think you're getting distracted..."

And then, speaking of distracting, I hear a shout coming our way. Or maybe more of a screech. I feel myself kind of snap back into alertness as I whip my head around to look at where it came from. It's Hannah.

What's her problem? Wait, no, it's kind of obvious, isn't it? I guess the real question is...

I turn my head back around and glance over at Ravenna. What's she going to do?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hot 0, Cold 1, Volatile 1x, Dark -1 | Location: The Funeral

Feel about Camile? She's... uh... around, I guess? When I thought about her (which wasn't too often), she always struck me as a little sad. Like a lost little puppy tottering around, looking for attention from a neglectful owner.

But, yeah, the jewelry thing is weird, even for her.

...And did she just steal Mr. Harris' wallet? I look over to Theresa, hoping for a confirmation, because I can't believe my eyes.

Before either of us say anything, Hannah, of all people, starts a giant scene. Granted, it's about Ravenna being an rear end in a top hat and trying to make the funeral all about her, so I can't really blame her. Still... getting involved with this might eat up the rest of my afternoon.

I whisper to Theresa, "...Maybe it's a good time to get out of here? It looks like things might be heading downhill."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Aina isn't reeeally my type, but that smile and the shy giggle are too cute to resist. Right now, I could happily eat her up. And it looks like I managed to cheer her up a little like I'd planned, even if she's still focused on Annie dying. "Nah, it's about honoring Annie by messing up this lovely religious funeral she didn't even believe in. Of course this was Shanie's idea, if you've got something else in mind to piss on em, I'm all ears." It's a good thing that isn't literally true though, or I'd be deafened by Hannah's jealous shout. I look up at her, raising my eyebrows theatrically, then wink. I never got the impression she was interested in me, but I've always kind of wanted to see what she looks like under all that cloth. Glancing around, I can see that everyone is looking at her, not me, so I hold up two fingers in a V in front of my mouth and stick my tongue between them for just a second, keeping my eyes locked with hers, then hastily pick up my glass again before anyone else can see.

[21:24:56] <GodFish> turn on Hannah
[21:25:01] <GodFish> !r 2d6+2
[21:25:01] <Krysmbot> GodFish, 5+2 = 7

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

XP 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions: Drained

I didn't know Annie very well, and I knew Cammie even less. Sometimes I wondered if it was hard on her, always being in Annie's shadow, but -- well, maybe I wonder that more now. I never really thought about her, before. Maybe... maybe that's how she wanted it to be, if what I'm seeing is real. I see the hand going into Mr. Harris's pocket, leaving with his wallet, before Hannah screams and I completely lose track of her. It's hard -- I mean, Hannah isn't wrong. What are the others even doing? But Cammie's on her way out, maybe, or already gone, I've totally lost track, and this is important...

"Yes, yes," I say to Zoe. "We should go." I mean it -- this is a mess, it's a really big mess, nothing good can happen here, I can feel it -- but it sounds half-distracted, because I'm racking my brain, trying to get the others to give me a clue. They've been down this path before. Where would Cammie have gone, be going? It's like pulling teeth to get them to tell me anything straight out, but this is important. Really important. We have to catch up with her and get the truth.

Gaze into the Abyss about where Cammie may have gone: 2d6+2 9
Lucid/detailed visions, please. Taking Drained and also 1 XP for rolling Dark.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Glancing around, I think that everyone's still paying attention to the scene between Ravenna and Hannah. I put a hand on her shoulder and point out a way we can make our escape. Leaning in, I whisper, "Great. Let's go." I'm already walking as I speak, striding ahead with purpose. I've got so much to do, and since this funeral is turning into a farce, I've got to get back to work.

For starters, there's so many posters to do! I start envisioning where I'm going to put them all for maximum exposure when I realize I've still got someone with me. Hmm... Now that we're away from the crowds, I ask, "So, do you have any plans today? If not... I've got a favor you could help me with! See, I'm running for Student Council President, and I need to make signs for my campaign. Would you mind lending me a hand?"

I look at her, hopefully. I'm normally not big on group projects, but honestly, this is just grunt work. On top of that, I... don't want to be alone right now. The funeral dredged up a ton of complicated feelings that don't have anything to do with being the perfect daughter, and I'm not sure this work is enough to keep my mind occupied.

Along those lines, I look her in her eyes and add, "I'd really owe you one, and... it will make for a good distraction from... all that." I gesture back towards the retreating graveyard to punctuate my statement. After a beat, I give her a little smile and add, "Or... at least I hope it will, anyway."

<Capfalcon_work> Turn on Theresa
<Capfalcon_work> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon_work, 9 = 9

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Trespass - - < - - - - Forgiveness
EXP 2/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions: none

I can't, I just can't take this! I'm shaking, I'm actually shaking. Everyone's staring at me, why me?? Ravenna's the one acting... this way! what does that gesture even mean ugh! And those eyes of hers, so, so hungry, like she's staring at a plate of steak... Ah!

And then a dark little thought crawls up into my brain. What if... what if I'm the one who's wrong? This world clearly runs by different... rules. Maybe this is just okay here? Oh God, am I ruining the event for everyone, behaving this way? That can't be true, right?

God, no, I have to get out of here. This is too much, it's too much! I stand up suddenly, grinding my teeth and trying desperately to keep my voice below a scream. "Th. Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Harris," I manage to squeak out, as though nothing had even happened, -- I'm still staring at Ravenna, though -- and then I sweep round and storm out the door and into the heat outside.

giving Ravenna a string for the turn-on

(5:25:01 AM) megane: run away
(5:25:04 AM) megane: !r 2d6+2
(5:25:05 AM) Krysmbot: megane, 8+2 = 10

megane fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 13, 2017

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

EXP: 2/5 (+1!)(H) | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions:

I hate that he's right. It's all about Annie. Everything that I did is because of Annie, and now she's gone. She left me here with nothing to work with. It's hard to say, but when she left she was my best friend.

"I know. She was everything to everyone. This was... nice." But it's not right for me. As if to confirm that, I hear Hannah shout at Ravenna. I don't know what she wants, but I can guess what went wrong here.

This service is just too... formal, I guess is the word. I knew her as a friend, so I should be celebrating her as a friend, right?

No. I mean, I'd love to have another of her parties, but it won't be the same. We'll start to cry, like we did here. No. "I need to get some... air."

I start to head outside. One of the nice things about this place is the pretty fountain in front of the property. It reminds me of emerging out of the lake and watching the spray around me. I see that and drop to my knees at its base. The pool at the bottom is shaking, but I can see myself. And I can see... Annie. God, what would she have wanted? What can I do to get these... feelings out? It's just too overwhelming.

I start to sob. She's the reason I'm even here. The way she looked at me when I sat at their table. There was so much love, and no judgment. She knew. She might know still. If only I could talk to her one more time.

Let's have some Salt for Annie.

(RWT_m) Rolling Dark for reasons.
(RWT_m) !roll 2d6+1
(Krysmbot) RWT_m, 9+1 = 10

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Theresa

The voices drown out the ruckus going on around you, which is probably a good thing. While you might not know where it is Camille is heading off to with her ill-gotten gains, Mama Tess and the Pilgrim just might. And they open up to you, even if it does leave you with a pounding headache afterwards.

(Oh yes, Camille. Took me a while through to figure out where she kept going after Annie died. Even longer to figure out - )

(Now hush dear, she didn't ask that. Too much at once is never a good thing. )

(Right, of course, you're right. It's funny. You've been by the place. Even noticed how peculiar it was once. We all had at this point of course but still, it's not...well, you didn't ask why.)

(Enough with the riddles, I've seen this enough. She's going to Grounds to Celebrate. Though I'm not sure if she'll be headed right there or not.)

Huh, so, relatively straight forward. But do they tend to bicker like that? And why does it feel like the morning after you drank a bottle of rum? As a matter of fact, you do sort of have an alcohol-ish taste in your mouth...

Hannah

You almost collide with Mr. Pauling on your way out the door, but he does serve as a convenient block for anybody who's trying to follow you. But where are you going? Is there anyplace in this crazy mixed up world that feels safe to you right now?

Or are you going to bother that Shanie girl - the one who seems to be crying into the fountain as it starts to rain outside?

Shanie

"Shanie!" Mr. Pauling protests as you brush past and he follows you to the door, but as it starts raining he hesitates. With you crying, maybe he knows better. Maybe you've told him what that can mean...

Oak Shore has a tendency for sudden precipitation, even out of a fairly clear sky like today. Of course, you know better, it's because of 'Skanie'. Well, and his daughter. That being you. And as the rain falls into the fountain, along with your tears, the ripples cause your reflection to change.

Into hers'. Annie's. Not as saw her today - made up to look like porcelain in a casket - but as you'd imagine she looked like the day after she was fished out of your father's shores. Lips tinged blue, eyes puffy and faded, wrapped not in a funeral shroud but a shower curtain, her hair splayed out across the surface of the water, though if she were in there, she'd be underneath.

But she is looking -at- you, not in the way a memory would, but in the way a person would - maybe not a living one, but a person nonetheless.

And she manages, with some difficulty, to mouth your name, though of course there's no sound. 'Shanie?' it seems like. Confusion, at least for now, playing in her head.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

"Well that certainly worked..." I say to Ravenna as I watch Hannah storm out the door. Ravenna's ideas (or I guess Ravenna's and Shanie's ideas) might be pretty crude, but it's hard to argue that they're ineffective.

And if other people aren't worried about causing a scene for Annie's sake, well... maybe I shouldn't be so afraid. Maybe just for a moment. It's not like Ravenna or Shanie were Annie's best friend, right? And it's not like they're the ones who should be most offended by this hosed-up Christian funeral. So, it wouldn't be so bad if I just did one thing... right? For Annie.

Just one hex...

"Alright," I lean in towards Ravenna and whisper. "I've got an idea, but I'm going to need your help for this. I need you to distract Georgia Cartwright for me."

It's a simple idea. If Ravenna can grab Georgia's attention, then I should be able to get an opportunity to from her. A token. And then I'll be able to go hide somewhere and cast a hex. It's a little reckless, maybe- there's probably a million things that could go wrong if I thought about it, but- I guess now's the time to be a little bold. I don't want to be the best friend that did nothing.

It's what Annie would want, right? Well, maybe n- It doesn't matter.

I look over in Georgia's direction and start pre-emptively scoping out something to steal. Did she leave a bag or anything anywhere? And then I throw a quick glance back at Ravenna. "So, can you do that?"

I'm going to spend a String on Ravenna to offer her an Experience Point if she distracts Georgia for me.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Hot 0, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 1 | Location: The Funeral (Ext.)
EXP: 2/5 (H)(D) | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions:

I didn't think it would work like this. I haven't tried it as myself before; it's mostly hearsay from Dad. But I can see the figure forming. It's... I shudder when she appears. She's scaly, pale, and very clearly dead, but I just need her here, right now. "Annie! Oh, Annie... " I have to keep my voice down. I don't know if anyone else can see her, or just me crying.

I see her speak my name, but no sound comes out. Of course... I lean a little closer to the surface of the water and gaze into her eyes. I whisper, "I didn't want to disturb you, but... I need help. I need to know... What can I do to preserve your memory? How should we be remembering you? The good deeds, the parties, the..." I twinkle my fingers a little. "What could bring me peace? What would bring you peace?"

I need to think about this. My hair is starting to mingle with the water, so I pull it back. I'm sure if I was human, I would ask her to come back. But I know that's not how life works. If we could just redo everything, we would stop getting sad, like I am now. And I need to be sad to learn what works and what doesn't up here. I choke up, so close and yet impossibly far from her. My speech comes through between gasps. "And... Hannah wants proof that I didn't... Do you know any... about how you...? Something that can...?"

I lean my head against the edge of the fountain, arms splayed on top. "Just a... word or few... something to... h-h-h..." I'm sobbing. I can't muster anything else.

This world hates me. I mean, whenever I need help from the lake, the whole town has to get rained on. If I wasn't who I am, I would be sick of water.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

XP 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions: Drained

God, my head is pounding. I really don't know why they're being so catty about this. Sometimes I get the feeling they don't like each other much, but this isn't even about us for once! We need to try and catch Cammie, not for our sake, but for Mr. Harris's, if nothing else. And for Annie's.

... Zoe's asking me something. Asking me to... go home with her? To help with a project? It's... it's a nice thought. I smile as gamely as I can. "Yeah, you're right. It'd be nice to... um, do something that isn't this. Isn't about this. Why don't we do that? I'll do my best to help..."

Promising Zoe something I think she wants (help with her posters).

I start walking towards the door to the outside, lowering my voice. "... Grounds to Celebrate. I think Cammie's heading there, now or later. I don't know how..." I pause in the entryway, staring out at the sudden rain. "... I didn't bring an umbrella." Funny, isn't it? I've got voices telling me God only knows what and they can't tell me it's going to rain today?

... Or that Shanie's out there, staring into the fountain, crying. I look at Zoe again, uncertain. "Um... should we, uh, go check on her?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I give Theresa a beaming smile, saying, "Oh, thanks! I know it doesn't sound that great, but we'll make it fun! And just think, the future class president will owe you one. That's gotta be worth something, right?" I chuckle at the joke. It's not like I really get to do a lot, you know.

Then, she starts talking about Cammie, and... I really don't want to get involved in that. Not just because it would be time consuming, but also because, well, what does she expect us to do? Neither of us really know her, and if she wants to run around being a crook, that's her problem. Thankfully, Theresa just sort of trails off on that subject without me needing to say anything. That's when she notes she didn't bring an umbrella. I add, "It didn't look that grey earlier..."

And then she spots Shanie, and I realize we're not getting out of here any time soon. *Sigh.* Theresa probably won't just leave her there, and... well, I'm not heartless. Especially with someone who was my first real date.

So, I walk up behind Shanie and gently put a hand on her shoulder. I don't turn her around or even try to pull her away from the pool. I just say, "Hey, Shanie? It's Zoe. Just wanted to see if you're ok, but, uh, I guess you aren't." Smooth, Zoe. I decide that I might as well keep diging, so I continue, saying, "You know, we... we all miss her too. If you need anything, I'm here, ok? We're here, actually." I glance back at Theresa, jerking my head for her to come over.

I don't know what else to do, so I give her a hug, wrapping my arms around her waist from behind.

<Capfalcon> turn on Shanie
<Capfalcon> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon, 3 = 3
<Capfalcon> yikes

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Hot: 2 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: +1 --- Experience: 3/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: - None

I wiggle my fingers in a small wave at Hannah as she runs out, obviously flustered. Heh. I lean back in towards Aina, with an eyebrow raised curiously. An idea huh? That needs me to distract Georgia. Well, I can't say I see where this is going, but it could be fun. And being a distraction is easy. I nod and grin. "As good as done." With that I turn away, walking back to the punch bowl to refill my cup, then instead of heading back to her, I make my way over to Georgia Cartwright. Georgia, Georgia, Georgia. Beautiful, rich, Annie's constant rival. She doesn't seem too sad. I smile at her. "Sad day, huh?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Shanie

She's crying, too, silently, maybe in response to your tears. Her pale hand reaches up, as if trying to comfort you, but of course she can't reach from wherever it is that she finds herself, now.

But she's smiling, too. Maybe she's reading your lips. Or maybe she can hear you more than you can hear her - as if to say you're not exactly doing it wrong. She shrugs. 'Memory is memory', she seems to say. Cryptic? Yes. But that's all she offers.

Zoe

Obviously, Shanie is having a hard time with the day and she doesn't exactly respond - and her reflection in the fountain...

...isn't her. It's Annie, looking quite dead and not at all prepared for a funeral. And behind her isn't you, it's...well, a figure, covered in shadows, who reaches for the girl in the reflection.

And then a wave, somehow, comes out of the fountain and soaks you both, and the vision is banished.

Annie...or whoever that was...takes a string on you, Zoe

• Locked thread