Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
XP 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions: Drained
Aspect: Maiden (+1 Hot, -1 Cold/Vol)

I hurry to catch up with Zoe, and I'm only a step or two behind them when she and Shanie get splashed by the fountain. "... What happened? Did you drop something?" I squint down into the water, trying to see if something's there. It looked like a wave, not a splash of something falling in, but that doesn't even make sense, does it?

It's best not to focus on Zoe, anyway. She's hugging Shanie, from behind, and -- for some reason, it makes me feel flushed, jealous. I thought maybe she really wanted to spend some time with me, but was it really just about making posters? I... I'm not sure what to do now. A part of me -- not a voice, just an urge -- says get out of here before you get any more embarrassed or you catch a cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Hot 0, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 1 | Location: The Funeral (Ext.)
EXP: 2/5 (H)(D) | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions:

...Memory? That's... That's it? Memory is... what it is. Oh god, that's just so much to understand. Memory.

The first time Trevor pointed out to me that Annie was the head of the school--I was crushing hard on him at the time, just for context--I knew my purpose up here: to get Annie's voice behind me, so I can save my home. So I sat with them, and just like here, I received so many insults I thought it was impossible for me to reach her. Then after the bell rang, Annie put her hand on my shoulder... I forgot what exactly she said, but it felt so good to hear her kind voice after everyone else tried to poison me.

I could feel her hand right now...

No, her hands are--"O-oh poo poo!" I smack the hands on my body. I feel like I've just been plucked out of the water, and it's frightening! She's wrapped around me and whispering...

And then the fountain splashes me. Water. Oh, boy, that's a relief. I'm starting to come to my senses. It's clear to me now... It's Zoe, that was Annie, and she's a memory. A memory.

"Zoe, oh god, I'm sorry..." I put a hand on her hands as I catch my breath. "I'm just thinking... about Annie, and the lake, and-and..." The words are pouring out. "I want to help people... like she did. I want to help you..." I just nod as the things in my head fly around.

"But I need you to help me... with my cause. Maybe we can support each other, you in your campaign, and me with my..."

I need to find out who killed Annie. My blood is boiling now that I see she's gone. Her memory is all I have left, because some bastard wanted her gone. It had to be someone. I could find an autopsy, or look at her phone, and just try to find something.

Or I can help the lake. It has a power over the town. Maybe I can talk to it. Maybe if I'm good to the lake, it'll show me what really happened... How Annie's body entered the lake, maybe?

But everything is telling me... I can't do it alone. I look up at Zoe, with a little chuckle... "Hm-hm-hmm... I know it sounds crazy, but the lake is very important to me, and Annie knew that. She inspired me... I want to organize something, for the lake... In her honor!"

I don't know what else to tell her that wouldn't sound crazy. I just need to know what happened. People deserve to know who killed Annie Harris!

And I'm gonna give it to them.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hot 0, Cold 1, Volatile 1x, Dark -1 | Location: The Fountain
EXP: 1/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Killjoy

I'm too busy sputtering water to respond to either of them for a moment, but my mind is racing. That was Annie in the water! And a... shadow took her? The only thing I got out of that is that Shanie's clearly some sort of witch, just like Annie! And maybe she was trying to see what happened to her? But, can't worry about that now. I don't want to let on I know something weird happened to Shanie.

Who knows what she could do!

Theresa's asking what happened, and I don't want to give Shanie an excuse to... I don't know... curse me? So, I tell most of the truth, "Oh, the water? I don't know! I was just looking at the fountain, something moved in the water, and then it was like a big bubble popped, splashing us!"

Shanie's talking about her cause and helping. It's nice that she wants to help me, but I don't know about organizing another thing... On the other hand... a big conservation project would look pretty great on my resume. I'll hedge for now, saying, " Well, Theresa and I were leaving. Ravenna's ruining the rest of the funeral, and I didn't see much of a point to sticking around. She was going to go back to my house and help with some posters for student council. But, I thought it'd be a nice distraction from how awful the funeral was."

I glance back at Theresa to see if she's ok with the idea. I did invite her first, after all.

Out of context of how awful Ravenna was, that might sound a little heartless to Shanie, so I add, "And... maybe when we're done, we could... you know... talk about it a bit more? I don't think I've really seen either of you since... the night before, you know? And that... was really weird. Not bad weird. Just weird."

"But either way, I need to go home and change."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Hot -1 | Cold 0 | Volatile 2
Trespass - - < - - - - Forgiveness
EXP 2/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions: none

I can hear voices and splashing behind me, but I don't turn around. I can't look them in the eye right now, I just can't! Instead, I trudge across the lawn, ignoring the first drops of rain. Stupid, stupid, I should've checked what the weather was going to be; now my new dress is going to be ruined. As if this day wasn't bad enough already! I reach the edge of the lawn and stare out across the lake. Normally it's beautiful, clear and blue, but now... the rain has turned it the whole surface into a shimmering grey mirror, dark as the skies above. I came up here to calm down, but... it's not working. Agh, God! My hands won't stop shaking, my head is burning with... with... I don't know. I don't understand! What have I done to deserve this? Have I... sinned, somehow? Am I unworthy of Your love? Answer me! Why am I here?

There's no answer, just the rain pouring down from the heavy skies, drenching me, tearing the day's heat from my skin, turning my soul to ice.

(8:58:34 PM) megane: gaze into the abyss:
(8:58:37 PM) megane: !r 2d6+1
(8:58:38 PM) Krysmbot: megane, 8+1 = 9

"The visions show you how you have upset and bewildered God."

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
(Delayed) Ravenna

The thing is, Georgia was at the very least trying to look sad. Her mascera was somewhat smudged as you caught up with her after her saying her condolences to the Harris family, and she clutched a fairly obviously tear-stained cloth napkin in one hand.

However, at your comment, she gives you a bemused look, and rolls her eyes. "Sorry, 'venna. I'm not interested. This is a wake, not makeout point." She sips from a bottle of water - figures someone like Georgia Cartwright wouldn't take even water she didn't control - and that was before it was spiked! Obviously, given your activities and Hannah's reaction to it people's eyes were on you, and people's eyes, at least a few of them, were always on the Cartwrights, Georgia included. So, the diss, while not openly commented on, was definitely noticed. So are you going to let that go? She is trying to push her way past you, likely to the bathroom to touch up her makeup.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Hot: 2 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: +1 --- Experience: 3/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: - None

"This is a wake, you're supposed to celebrate someone's life, not mourn it. That's what the funeral was for." I give her a piercing look, sizing her up a bit as I walk backwards to stay a step in front of her. "And I wasn't offering to you, but since you sound interested... come try it if you like. You might enjoy it." She's pretty enough, even if I don't like her personality, and that's a pretty good 'distraction'. I'm not sure how much of one, or for how long Aina needs. I lower my voice, "Ever kissed a girl? It's fun." I drop it even further. "Annie thought so."

Using Bad Influence
When you tempt someone to act against their best interests or stated desires in the name of having fun: if they decline, you gain a String on them or they gain the killjoy condition, their choice. If they accept, they gain a String on you and lose the killjoy condition if they have it.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Hot -1 | Cold +1 | Volatile 0 | Dark +1
EXP: 0/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: None, yet.

A little while after Ravenna starts chatting up Georgia, I stand up from where I was sitting and start to walk towards them. Slowly, naturally, stealthily. I need to not grab anyone's attention, or else this whole chance will be wasted. Luckily, I guess, a funeral is one of the few places where I don't stand out too much. Wearing black and looking sad is natural here.

Alright, if I'm going to do something, I'm going to need to take something from Georgia. A token. The easiest way to get one would probably be to take something from her bag, but... did she bring one? Did she leave it somewhere? I look back at where she was sitting. Maybe she left something back there. Or...

I glance back at Ravenna. Oh. She's hitting on Georgia now. What, is this the third girl she's tried to make out with in ten minutes? I guess I should have expected that. I did put her up to this. But... there's no way Georgia would say "yes," right? It's basically impossible. This is just Ravenna's way of being distracting.

It'd be funny if they did, though. Ha ha. I mean just imagine it- the two of them... Heh heh. They'd probably be so into it that I might be able to just sneak up and take something right from them. Like I'm a makeout pickpocket or something.

...Wow, I've just got making out on my mind, don't I? It's all loving Ravenna's fault.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hannah

The cloudy surface of the moon reflects the light of the moon and casts your reflection on the surface in a stark sort of relief. As the rain water falls from the sky and breaks the surface, the image seems to waver and you can almost see yourself - at the dinner table with your family, or well, your "family" at any rate. They're foggy, out of focus, shaky as a result of the rain making the surface of the lake more violent than it normally is - but not you. Your attempts to talk to them, act like they're your family are cast in harsh, angry moonlight. You didn't know the moon could be so bright, so uncomfortable to look at, especially in reflection.

As you wonder why it is the moon is even out, you look up and see a second reflection - in the fog coming up off the lake. It's you, again, but, this time you're not trying to set things "right" with your family. You're just...fitting in, with them, with this place, at the table, whatever that means. And you too are out of focus, shaky, fuzzy in the fog rising up. But only for those few flickering moments, and then it's gone.

Ravenna/Aina

"As if." Georgia says, sounding disgusted - though the flush in her cheeks may lead you to believe she's less disgusted by it than she appears to be. Nevertheless, she ducks into the bathroom and locks the door behind her, maybe slamming the door louder than she intended to while she does so.

Unless you intend to be kind of a weird perv that's probably the end of it...for now.

Luckily for Aina, it does appear she was distracted by Ravenna's come-on and left her bag on the chair where she had put it down in her haste to get away.

You can have a string on Georgia

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 21, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
XP 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions: Drained
Aspect: Maiden (+1 Hot, -1 Cold/Vol)

"Yeah, we... we should go. I know I'm soaked, and it has to be worse for you." This... maybe this is salvageable? Maybe I just misread things. I mean, if I'm still invited... this can be okay. Even if it's just posters and dry clothes and maybe some time to relax. I mean, Shanie's nice, isn't she? This doesn't have to be...

... I don't even know why I want it to be something more. Sometimes it just gets lonely when it's me and me and me. I need to get out of my own head more, and... it's okay to have needs, isn't it? Isn't it?

Zoe's got a single wet, lank bit of hair hanging in her face, and before I really know what I'm doing, I step forward to smooth it into place. Too forward, but I want even this little bit of contact. "We should go. It's awful out here."

Turn On Zoe: 2d6+1 8
Self/Promise/String?
LGW, let me know if this is sufficiently non-tactful for me to switch aspects!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Hot: 2 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: +1 --- Experience: 3/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: - None

I'm definitely not a weird pervert, and I've well and truly distracted Georgia looking at that flush, and either way she's locked herself in the bathroom so I can't do anything else here. I move away from her shaking my head slightly, and take a refill of 'water' before I head back to Aina to ask in a low voice, "that do the job?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hot 0, Cold 1, Volatile 1x, Dark -1 | Location: The Fountain

I feel a slight tingle on my head as Theresa brushes away some hair that was sticking to my face. Absentmindedly, I rub the spot where she touched my forehead with the back of my hand and say, "I'm fine, but yeah, we really should get out of this mess. You coming?" I glance back at Shanie, waiting for her answer.

Can't really think of anything else to offer, so take a string!

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

As soon as I get my chance, I take it.

I walk up to Georgia's bag, and start going through it like it's my own. The easiest way to get caught, after all, is to act suspicious. One. A mental timer goes off in my head, counting the number of seconds that go by. The longer this takes, the more likely I am to get spotted. So I have to keep this quick. Two. I try to sort through everything in here as quickly as I can. The trick to doing this quickly isn't to worry about exactly what everything is, just whether it seems important or not. Three. A token can be anything, really. But it's probably not this makeup. Or that pocket change. Four. It'd be something like- Oh. There's some kind of photo in here. It's folded up and really worn, like its been unfolded and refolded a thousand times. I grab it and open it up. Five.

It's a picture of Georgia. I think. She's much younger in this photo. Maybe ten? And she's with- I think it's her mother. They're standing in front of some house on the beach. ...They look pretty happy. Okay. This'll work.

I look up and see Ravenna coming back to me, and then I quickly stuff the old photo in my pocket.

"Perfect." I give her a small nod, and even show her a bit of a smile. It's more than I should show her. Really, I should just keep my poker face up and not let anybody know anything, but- Well...

Why not have a little fun? gently caress, that sounds like something Ravenna would say, doesn't it?

"Now just keep an eye on her," I say, looking to the closed bathroom door. "I have to go do something."

I turn around and look out the window. It's pouring rain outside. Oh. Well that's annoying. There's no way I'm not going to get soaked, is there? It's not like I could just hold an umbrella the entire time I'm casting the hex. And it's not like there's any room to do it in here. Not around all these assholes. I guess I don't have much of a choice.

I step out of the wake casually, and then once I'm outside I start running. There are some people out here, but I don't pay them much attention. I run from covering to covering, trying to stay relatively out of the rain as I look for a spot to cast the hex. It's has to be somewhere where I won't be seen, somewhere that's not completely cut off from magickal energy, and preferably somewhere that's not completely soaked and muddy.

Eventually I find a spot under a big tree that's kind of covered and pretty out of the way. Not the best, but it'll do. And I'm not going to run around in the rain for twenty minutes looking for something better.

"Okay, let's do this." I look down at the ground and clear out a spot by kicking some twigs and branches out of the way. And then I grab a large stick and start carving a magic circle in the muddy dirt with it. Not the best magic circle I've ever made, but it's not like I've ever done this thing in pouring rain before. After that, I reach into my bag and sprinkle out some additional salts, herbs and oils to make the circle proper. Hopefully they're not too degraded by the presence of all this mud and water.

And then, finally, I take the photo from my pocket and put it carefully in the center of the circle. There. It should be ready now.

I close my eyes and start whispering an incantation. Even as the rain continues to hit my face, I mentally shut out the world around me and concentrate on the magical energy flowing through me and surrounding me. And as I concentrate I start to feel things that are not here, but there. I can hear the beach. I can feel a mother's warmth. And the simple naive happiness of being a kid. I can feel all these things which do not exist here in this hosed-up moment, but there in the sentimental memory of the token.

And now all those feelings are mine to use. Mine to burn.

I take a deep breath, and grab that magical energy with my hands. I shape it, re-form it, into something else. Something much less kind. And then I turn those energies back where they came from. Back through the token... and back to Georgia.

<Takanago> Aina casts a hex on Georgia
<Takanago> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Takanago, 6+1 = 7
I'm going to cast the Illusions hex on Georgia, choosing to spend the Token I just got and to have her see Demonic Visages. Since I rolled a 7-9, I'll choose 'the Hex has unexpected side effects.'

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Monday Morning

The wake proceeded mostly without further complaint, once the six of you had in one way or another moved out. Possibly due to chalking it up to you processing your griefs or possibly due to simply wanting to ignore all the hooliganery that you had engaged in, no one brings up your various outbursts without your prompting in the intervening time between then and now.

Now, however, you're in homeroom. Curiously you're all in the same spots you sat at in the funeral. Except, of course, there's a whiteboard to the front of the room and a teacher's desk where a casket was a while ago. And there's a teacher there, of course. And boy, is she a doozy.

Mrs. Posters has a reputation, though none of you have ever had her before. She's a hard rear end. She takes no guff. She's pretty out there. Liable to go from 1 to 11 at the first sign of sass. Potentially even worse now what with what happened last year. But since this is the dawn of the new year, maybe she'd lighten up?

"Alright, listen up, the lot of you." She says as soon as the second bell rings and you're all seated. "You've all probably heard rumors about me and I'm going to tell you now that they're not true. I'm worse. This is your senior homeroom." She slaps the whiteboard with a slide ruler - where she had written the same words in red marker. There's a list of expectations there. "I expect you all to read this. I don't want to hear any complaints. And I don't want to see any cell phones, tablets, smart watches, blue tooths, blu rays, glass by google or whatever other ridiculous mobile device out in my classroom, period. I will confiscate whatever you decide to challenge me with, and you won't get it back until the end of the year. If you have questions about a homework assignment, you can raise your hand and ask. If you need to finish an assignment, there are computers to your right. Otherwise, I don't want to hear out of any of you. Study. Or nap. Nothing else." She stares at Ravenna directly. "Do I make myself clear Miss Bachman?"

Okay maybe she hasn't lightened up. Georgia snickers at Ravenna being called out though it's a tired sound, she's staring at her desk and looks pretty haggard, though she's doing her best not to show it.

Aina

That is one tired looking Cartwright, isn't it? Do you feel bad at all about keeping the hex active so long on Georgia? Considering taking it down? Maybe (or especially) because ever since you cast it you've been getting these...afterimages. Well, sort of. It's like when you look at people, for a second they're...different. Not demonic, not like what you've done to Georgia. But, it's as if when you see someone, they're not them - different clothes maybe, or different hair, or just a different demeanor. Like it's a different version of the same person. Not all the time, but...well enough to be sort of disconcerting. Even when you look in the mirror, maybe once or twice. What's been the biggest, or weirdest "displacement" since the hex was levied? What was it like?

Ravenna

Okay, who the hell does this bitch think she is calling you out like that? Have you had a run in with her before? If not, what did you do that you think has given her an (obviously mistaken) first impression of you? Are you going to just sit there and take it? Or are you going to do something about it or say something about it?

Zoe, Theresa, Shanie

So how'd the study session go? Anything uhm, well, more than studying happen there?

Shanie, any other weird visitations? Once you calmed down, how'd you smooth things over with Mr. Pauling?

Zoe, it was a lot of distractions, the other two people being there, right? What didn't get done as well as it should have? Where does that put you on your list of obligations?

Theresa, it is still Theresa, right? Even when, you know, you feel a little different? How'd that get in the way of what you clearly wanted out of the "study session", anyway? Any other hints you've tried dropping to Zoe since then? How about now?

Hannah

Wow, this Mrs. Posters is a bit...intense, huh? What's the one back home like? Any different, or are some things a weird universal constant like this teacher being strict as poo poo? What did you make of that...well, vision I guess on the lake, anyway?

Everyone

What're you going to do about that text from The Texter, anyway, now that school's back in session?

This is a new scene but like I said I'm keeping the highlights and conditions from the last one. Feel free to get xp again though since the last one ran a bit longer than I expected it to

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 28, 2017

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hot 0, Cold 1, Volatile 1, Dark -1 | Location: The Fountain

I'm already sitting in class when most people get here. No better place to study than an empty school room.

And yes, I know we don't have any work yet, but I'm trying to get ahead. Student Council elections are going to eat up a lot of my time, after all.

After Mrs. Posters' outburst, I keep my head down toward my desk and keep planning out the rest of my day. No cheerleading today, thankfully, but I need to get the rest of the posters up. Since I had company for making them, I couldn't go out and put them up. I couldn't just leave Shanie and Theresa in my house!

And, well, we also got to talking about what might have happened to Annie. I pointed out that she died right after showing us all some magic, and suggested that it might be one of the people she showed. Shanie mentioned that Hannah agreed and thought it was Shanie, which... seems kind of out there? But I still don't really know what to think about them.

...Maybe it was best that I was with two other people from that night instead of just one?

Right, let's not think about that. Back to the posters. I'll get a quick lunch and then finish hanging the posters up over the rest of the period.

I spare a glance over towards Shanie on my right, remembering the evening of the wake.

--------------------

Shanie and I were out in the garage, ostensibly to get some more poster board. We'd come up with some good slogans, but they kept writing the letters different sizes, and having to squeeze in the last few letters so they'd fit on the poster board. So, we needed to make some second drafts. And, well, I've got a bit an ulterior motive. When it's just the two of us in the garage, I put the poster board down and say, "I saw you were doing something magic in the fountain. I saw Annie in there instead of you. And something else was with her, too. Some shadow thing behind her. I don't know what you were trying, but I'm going to guess it was trying to figure out what happened to her."

I let that sink in before I continue, "I also want you to know that I'm not going to tell anyone. I mean, Annie was a witch, and she was still a great person. And... I really do like you, and I don't want anything like what happened to Annie to happen to you."

I add, to show that I really mean it, "And, um, if you wanted to meet me at the coffee shop again, I'd like that, too. Tomorrow?"

--------------------

Looking back on it, I came on a little strong, but what can I say? I didn't really think there was a better way than straight through. It's how I handle most everything, you know.

And as far as the Texter, well, I'm working on it! I'm running a drat good campaign for how little time and help I've had, so I've just got to stay on the ball for another week. Elections are Friday, after all. Which means it's time to start making a list of people I need to persuade to vote for me. I don't need to convince everyone all by myself, of course. Just a two or three particularly popular people to tell their friends/followers/hanger-ons to vote for me. I play with the pencil in my hand as I think.

Now... who should I be working on?

<Capfalcon> roll dark for making a list and checking it twice
<Capfalcon> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon, 6-1 = 5

Here's the string sheet again, because I know I had to go look for it.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 27, 2017

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Hot 0, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 1 | Location: Homeroom
EXP: 3/5 (+1!)(H) | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions:

The Texter can go to hell. The swim team is holding tryouts today, but if the Texter has anything to say about it, I'm better off not going.

I'm thinking about Zoe again. She definitely saw my vision in the fountain, but she doesn't know the true truth. Maybe I need to tell her during the coffee date, which I totally accepted by the way. I needed to get some time away from Mr. Pauling.

----------

I got home late after poster-making with Zoe and Theresa, and he was waiting for me, a little mad and mostly worried. He asked me, again, why I would behave like that, and wanted to make sure I understand what I did was 'wrong'.

"She was the reason I'm even here. So I'm upset that she's gone, and I might have overreacted when my memories of her were being..." The word I was looking for was 'invalidated', but I couldn't find it. And he said what he said, again; the service wasn't about me. And he said it wasn't an excuse to act the way I did. I really wanted to tell him the truth, but I didn't.

"Annie helped with my self-esteem. She supported me. Now I need to learn how to like what I am... Because I'm stuck here without her." I didn't tell him that I lost my pelt again. He wouldn't understand. So he asked me if I thought it was right to do what I did. And I said no.

He asked me to apologize to Annie's parents. I told him I would do it after school tomorrow.

----------

Before I left the apartment, I tried to talk to Dad, to let him know what the lake let me see. The lake is a friend of my dad's, if you'll recall. So when I took my bath, I started talking about my vision, and about how Hannah has my pelt, and... what did he say?

The intent was to gaze about Hannah, but...

(RWT_m) Gaze into the tub
(RWT_m) !r 2d6+1
(Krysmbot) RWT_m, 4+1 = 5

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Silently, I stare at Georgia from across the room. She really does look like poo poo. I knew every hex works differently, but... I guess I didn't expect it to work out like this. I don't even know why I did it, anyway. Teaming up with Ravenna so I can perform loving witchcraft? What was I even thinking? Witchcraft is supposed to be slow, subtle, and not involve people that can't be trusted.

Everyone seemed to be acting weird that day, too. I mean, I don't have a lot of experience with funerals, but I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to have so many make outs and freak outs.Even I almost wanted to... Looking back on it, I bet it was all Ravenna's fault somehow. Probably spiked the drinks or something. She would do that. I still remember that one party she convinced me to throw.... Well, sort of.

I probably shouldn't have cast that hex. I guess I was expecting Georgia to freak out, or something. Maybe even see Annie. But I guess Georgia's not like that. It's kind of impressive, I guess. I still hate her though. She's still a horrible person. I shouldn't be impressed. Or guilty.

But then there's... those afterimages. Or something. I don't know what to call them. It's like I'm seeing flickers of things that aren't there. But it's more than that. It's not just that they're not there- it's like they're wrong versions of things that are there.

The other day I looked in the mirror and saw a version of me that wasn't me. She was wearing these bright pastels, with this flowery blouse, and I think I even saw a loving cross around her neck? The weirdest part though was the way she was smiling. This hosed-up ultra-wholesome smile that belongs to... some kind of emotion I've never felt in my entire life? I mean, I don't know what my face looks like most of the time, but I can guarantee I have never looked as bright and chipper as that.

...Is that what demons look like? Is that what they are? ...Maybe. But if it is, gently caress that.

...Okay, enough of that image. I turn my head back towards the front and start paying attention to Mrs. Posters again. She is really a lot, isn't she. And I'm going to have to cast a hex on her. Well, not technically, but- I still don't know who that loving texter is and if I don't do it they're going to tell everyone I'm a Witch and then I'm loving dead.

I'm probably loving dead anyway, to be honest. No matter what I do. There's a loving murderer after me. The same person that murdered Annie. Witch killings tend not to be isolated incidents. The term 'Witch Hunt' exists for a reason. They're toying with me right now and... it's probably just a matter of time.

No. gently caress that. I am not going to be another loving statistic. I am not going to have a funeral like that. I am going to find whoever this is and I'm going to get revenge. I'm going to protect myself.

But I need more time. If my identity gets out there then it's all over. There's no guarantee that the murderer won't tell anybody if I go along with their demand, but... I can't think of another way out of this. So I guess I'll have to do what they say. I need to cast a hex on Mrs. Posters.

I just need to find an opportunity to get something. It's time to go hunting for tokens. Again.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Hot: 2 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: +1 --- Experience: 4/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: - None

What gave her that impression of me? I couldn't say, but it probably has something to do with my well deserved reputation as being the kind of person who has fun. I've earned that, even if the teachers and staff tend to view it as reasons to suspend me from class instead of what it is, making the most out of life in this dump of a world. As for a more specific reason, well if she has one it's a mystery to me. She probably does have a personal one, I just can't remember it because it wouldn't have been important enough to. She's a Mrs, somehow, so maybe she has a kid in school I've messed with. Who knows! Whatever the case, coming at me like that is asking for trouble, and it's trouble she's going to get. I hope she's prepared.

I've been leaning back in my chair, tipping it on its back legs and resting my feet up on my desk, but at her question I let it drop, slamming forward onto all four legs as I straighten up, looking right at her. "Hmm? Is there a reason you called me out Mrs. Posterior? Do you have a problem with me already? Because if you do, spit it out, and we can deal with it. Step out into the hall like adults. And if you don't, why don't you sit your backside down and leave me alone?" I smile, politely. "Come on."

[18:49:40] <GodFish> manip mrs. posterior: step up or back off
[18:49:42] <GodFish> !r 2d6+2
[18:49:44] <Krysmbot> GodFish, 10+2 = 12
[18:49:49] <GodFish> ...ha
get mad or get bent teach :getin:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Hot -1, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 2
XP 2/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions: Drained
Aspect: Mother (+1 Vol, -1 Hot/Cold)

Ravenna always has to make a scene, doesn't she? Although I guess Mrs. Posters started it this time. Maybe if I can stay out of it, I can get my head together.

Making posters was... complicated. Any night after the funeral and the wake would have been, but it didn't help that Mama Tess sort of... took the reins a bit. Said I was being silly, and didn't I care about chasing down Cammie? She wasn't actually in control of me -- they aren't, it's always me, I swear -- but when she's in the forefront of my mind, I get jumpy, ready to fight. She always tells me she's going to get people sorted out, get me what's mine and what I deserve, but I must have put Zoe off, so that was some great work there. We made the posters, we talked... I'm not sure I learned anything, or really figured anything out... but it was Shanie who had her eye all night. I think I was just there, just convenient.

It was still probably better than spending the night alone. Or "alone."

I don't know if I want Zoe. I don't know if I'm mad at Zoe. I just... want something good to happen, for once, that's all. It'd be nice to have someone who was mine, even if it wasn't forever, even if there was going to be trouble down the road, no matter what they say. But right now, I want it less, and I want answers more.

(Go get 'em, girl,) says Mama Tess.

Right now, I've got to think about how I'm going to do this thing for the creep who's been texting me. I've got a list of three cars to key, and I don't even know when to start, or how to. And... how will he know it was me, anyway? Is he watching? Is that a way to catch him? I look up at the ceiling, at the school PA and what might be a security camera, trying to figure out how I can watch unseen after I do this work...

Gaze into the Abyss about catching the Texter: 2d6+2 9
I think this has to be confusing/alarming, since I already have Drained from last scene? Anyway, dark XP, unless I spaced and we're not refreshing highlights yet, in which case please tell me.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Hot -1 | Cold 0 | Volatile 2
Trespass - - < - - - - Forgiveness
EXP 2/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions: none

Things have been... strained. I was sent a message... from God? Is that what it's like, when God speaks to you? Or maybe I imagined it, or, or, oh I don't know! All I know is, it certainly didn't make me any more certain about what I'm doing. What did it even mean? Am I supposed to... agh, God, I know you love me, but I am an idiot; how can someone as stupid and worthless as me understand your plans?

Nnnh. With such thoughts on my mind, I feel even more awkward speaking to this, this family that isn't mine. Sitting at dinner that night was just unbearable, I stumbled over my words and sounded, ugh, I must have sounded so stupid, so insensitive! Am I supposed to... to try and fit in here, to play this other girl's part? Or am I supposed to keep them at arm's length? Am I just driving myself crazy worrying about it? Agh! After dinner I fled upstairs, threw myself on the bed, and... and tried to pretend that it was my room.

Needless to say, the result is that other-Hannah's mother is constantly worrying over me and asking if I'm okay. What is she going to think when she finds out she's been trying to comfort an imposter this whole time? Her father doesn't seem to notice, though...

Well, I'll have to deal with that tonight. For now... I have to get used to Mrs. Posters. Sarah had her last year, and said that she was tough, but, erm. I feel like I'm, I'm being attacked! I don't know if it's because Sarah is less of a... a wimp than me, or if this Mrs. Posters is more more. She's, she's just dedicated to her job, excited about teaching us, but... I don't know if my heart can take being shouted at like this all year! God give me strength.

...oh God, what if I'm stuck here a whole year?

This is giving me a headache.

I lean forward and gently tap Theresa on the back. She seems like she's... out of it, right now. But I need to talk to someone, and I feel sort of bad about... ditching her, in a way, at the wake. She didn't act oddly, like some people, and I just... ran off without talking to her. I glance over to where Mrs. Posters is, but surely she'd encourage us to work together! "Uhhhhh, how have you been since...?" I whisper. "Do you want to... work together on this?"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Zoe

No matter who else you try to think of, only one name keeps coming up: Georgia Cartwright.

Georgia Cartwright - who may very well be the single most popular girl in school now that Annie is gone.

Georgia Cartwright who is having a very bad day.

Georgia Cartwright who you seem to be staring at, and seems to have noticed you staring at her, and who, by the somewhat blood-shot eyes and clenched jaw, definitely isn't liking the way you're looking at her.

Georgia gets a string on you

Shanie

Your dad doesn't talk, at all, really. As a matter of fact, it's not your dad at all. It's that shadowy figure you remember seeing from before - with Annie. It appears on the surface of the bathtub, a silhouette reaching over your form, and you feel cold, and numb. Painfully so. You can see your skin turning blue under the water and by instinct you jump out.

Your warmth comes back, though not all the way.

You take 1 harm

Theresa

(Oh dear. Honey, I don't know if I can answer that question for you. Things well, didn't end up so clean...)

(Say it plainly. We're not sure. Things aren't synched up. Not yet. It could be...well it's hard to find them, now.)

(It's sort of...in flux. Like a...well it's rippling a bit more...)

(Definitely more than it ought to have been. Probably someone in this room, though...)

Boy they sounded pretty evasive there, huh? What's that all about do you think? Have they ever actually hidden anything from you that you've asked, before?

Ravenna

Mrs. Posters sputters at your bravado, and her lip raises into a snarl, but...she stays silent.

For whatever reason, that seems to have cowed her, and she goes back to her desk and sits down. "Just...don't make a mess..." She finally mutters, though someone standing up to her, or maybe specifically you standing up to her has taken the wind out of her sails. Victory for Ravenna, huh? What're you going to do with it?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Hot: 2 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: +1 --- Experience: 4/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: - None

Oh yeah! Haha! EAT poo poo Teach, you got nothing on Ravenna Bachman!

Never one to resist kicking an opponent while they're down, I raise an eyebrow and make a final shot. "Thought so." God, my voice is so incredibly and deservedly smug. The entire class (including me) thought I was going to get railed for that, so I take a moment to bask in the public spotlight of defeating the legendary school dragon of Mrs. Posters down in front of the entire class, holding my arms out to receive the classes' praise, then lean back in my chair again with a wide smirk.

And, since I don't have to sit quiet or anything, after the attention in the room has shifted off to me and back to more normal things, I lean over towards Aina, still smiling broadly, and whisper, "Did you get anything good from Georgia?" I didn't see what she stole, but she was digging around in her bag when I was heading back to her after distracting G at the wake, so I assume she stole something. Or planted drugs maybe? But that doesn't seem quite like Aina's style.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

EXP: 4/5 (+1!)(D) | Harm: 1/4 | Conditions:

Yes, that's right... I cover both my arms on my desk and let my eyes wander. Dad wasn't there. Either he didn't answer, or he couldn't for some reason. I'm more scared by the former.

There's some kind of magic, deeper than the lake, that's interfering with me. When did I start seeing this... thing? It had to have been after the second text. The... The Texter is that figure, isn't he? Or they. Could be anyone.

But whoever's sending those texts, they're after me now. Not just to humiliate me with this swim team garbage, but to kill me... I don't belong here, and yet I'm trapped. But... at least I'm not alone?

I turn to Zoe, who seems to be in her own sea of troubles, and lean over to catch her eyes that are just locked in Georgia's direction. "Zoe? Um, about what you said... yesterday, I mean." I can feel my breathing get heavier from this weird air I've been breathing. What if that shadow cursed me or something? I lean onto my desk and stare at my notebook. I definitely don't want people to hear this, so I just start writing. When I'm done, I close it and put it on Zoe's desk.

quote:

I saw it AGAIN this morning. I think it's messaging my phone. I'm SCARED.

Can we talk NOW?

I take Zoe's hand, which feels warm in mine. And even though she's probably still distracted with Georgia, I keep my focus on her. I can't be alone. At least, not right now.

[22:38:22] <RWT> Milquetoast turn-on [of Zoe]
[22:38:25] <RWT> !r 2d6
[22:38:26] <Krysmbot> RWT, 4 = 4

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hot 0, Cold 1, Volatile 1, Dark -1 | Location: The Fountain
EXP: 2/5 | Harm: 1/4 | Conditions: Killjoy

Yes, it's so obvious in hindsight. Georgia is a poor man's Annie right now, but even that should be more than enough. She... doesn't look too happy with me. I guess I was staring for a bit.

That means I have to do this right now, so I can explain what was going on!

While I make up my mind, it looks like Shanie needs something. I'll talk to her after I'm done though. I have to do this first. So, I slip my hand out of hers (Why is she so cold anyway? Or am I on fire?) I don't read the note but slip it in my pocket as I whisper, "Give me one second. I have to take care of something first."

<Capfalcon_work> shut down Shanie
<Capfalcon_work> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon_work, 8+1 = 9

Take a (mandatory) harm to make it a 10, giving her "Secondary Concern."

Feeling a little feverish, I actually find myself thankful that Ravenna was... well... Ravenna this morning. It means I can go talk to Georgia without any problems now. When I arrive, I keep my voice low for a private conversation and do my best to make it clear that I was only looking at her because I was concerned about here apparent distress. No matter how that goes, I eventually squat down next to her desk so our faces are level and get down to business.

"But, look. The reason I looked over to start was I was thinking who I should get to help me in the race for Student Council. And after only a little bit of thought, the answer was obviously you. I mean, you're not running, so you don't have a dog in the fight. But it's pretty important to me. And we both know I'd do the best job, right?"

I look at her, expectantly, hoping to hear her agreement.

<Capfalcon> also, manipulate Georgia
<Capfalcon> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon, 7 = 7
<Capfalcon> I can live with that... barely

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

XP 2/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions: Drained

Oh, of course they'd be evasive now. It's not the first time they've done it, but it's usually not quite so baldfaced as that. I don't really know how time stuff works, but I do know what an excuse sounds like, and that's it. "Probably" someone in the room? But who else would even know about this than... one of us? Is that what they're trying to tell me?

Hannah's voice startles me, and I'm blinking as I turn towards her. "... oh? Y-yes. Yes, I think we should work together..." I mean, it could be Hannah. It could be any of us. But if I can't trust anybody... well, if it really comes down to it, won't they tell me before anything goes really wrong? They'd better. I deserve that much from them.

Wait, Hannah asked me a question too. ".. I'm holding up. How are you? I'm so sorry about... everything that happened, there." Yeah. That should cover it.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Zoe, Shanie

Georgia doesn't look at you, Zoe, and as you get closer she squeezes her eyes shut.

"...sorry...headache..." she mutters, weakly, unsteadily, as if what's going on is certainly not a headache or at least not JUST a headache. But she listens as you make your sales pitch. Or tries to.

"Yeah I uh...listen I'd love to help and all but with all this..." she sort of gestures vaguely - maybe she gets migraines? "...god I wish this would just stop..." she mutters, and chancing it, peeks one eye open.

It lands on Shanie, and suddenly both her eyes are open - as she, perhaps liberated by Ravenna's dressing down of the teacher or perhaps regardless of whatever the local authority's status, screams at the other girl.

"Just LEAVE ME THE gently caress ALONE!" She's on her feet, angrily, and in about half a second, off them again as she leaps over desks and tackles Shanie to the ground in what can only be described, visibly, as a psychotic outburst. Shanie, your head hits the floor pretty hard and your vision swims. take one harm.

Aina, do you feel bad about this at all? Clearly your hex is really messing with her, here.

Mrs. Posters is just sort of standing there, mouth agape.

Everybody, what do you do?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

EXP: 4/5 (H)(D) | Harm: 1/4 | Conditions: Secondary Concern

(Shanie is crying and wailing during these next actions. I'll spare you the onomatopoeia.)

It all happened so fast... Zoe took my note and then Georgia...

Why does everyone hate me... The whole world wants me gone... I don't have a place here. That's what everything is screaming at me.

When... When my vision corrects and the ringing stops, I wriggle out from under Georgia, trying not to put my hands on her in case she wants to bite my fingers off or something. I feel for Mrs. Posters' desk and help myself up... Hmph. Like I always do. I slap my arm on the top of her desk and put my back against it, glancing out at the class as much as I'm able. I see all these people, but not really...

They've all played some part in getting me here, right now. Everyone has been against me since the beginning, and when all I want to do is run away, they take that too. They don't see what I see.

I see monsters.

"Do... Do you see what y-you do to me?" I say to the whole classroom. "I just want to be your friend. I just want to... fit in with you, and-and this is what I get..." My legs are getting weak, I might be bleeding, and I still only see blurred figures. My only hope is that someone will catch me when I faint. I look at Zoe, and I think... Fat chance.

"Selfish. We're a-a-all just selfish... gross--It's gross how w-we tear each other down." I'm just a salmon getting snatched up by a grizzly; I fight and I fight to get somewhere like home, and my reward is getting brutalized by something I could have never fathomed.

"And after w-w-what happened with..., we're just the same... Look at me... I'm Annie Harris."

I slide down to the floor, bawling. I only have the focus to tilt my head up toward where I think Zoe is standing and wave my hand like I'm holding a pencil. "Th no-o-o..."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

XP 2+1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions: Drained

"-- what?" Georgia's just flipped out and knocked Shanie down, and before I evne know it, I'm on my feet, Mama Tess roaring in my ear. (Do it. Give it to her, give it to her, don't let us down --)

I don't really want to "give it to her," just hold her back, but I'm lunging forward to grab her and pull her away, barely aware that my nails are digging into her arms. Oh, God, I'm getting into a fight with a crazy girl. I don't get into fights. I'm not that kind of person --

But with Mama Tess front and center, I guess I am that kind of person, and... it needs to be done. Georgia's gone nuts, someone needs to step in...

Now she just needs to give it up. And not, well, hurt me too. Which she could.

Oh, God.

Lash Out at Georgia: 2d6+1 9
Doing 1 harm, opting for the "they can do you 1 harm for free" option on the 7-9, and marking XP for Volatile.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

As I sit there... staring at this scene in front of me, I feel what feels like- a thousand pins poking at me from every direction. A thousand nails poking at me from every direction. A thousand spikes. This isn't real. It's all in my head. It's not happening. It's all illusions.

It feels like there's a group of demons in front of me. No, not demons, none of that Judeo-Christian Good-And-Evil poo poo. They're more like monsters. Whatever. They look wrong. Slightly too tall. Slightly too thin. Slightly too angular. They're not human. I'm not looking at humans. They're something else...

gently caress, I wish I hadn't cast that hex. This is all getting out of hand. Now I'm seeing these fake images and I can't tell what's real, and...

No, wait-

There's a bright flash, and everything returns to- normal? I feel like I'm waking up from a dream. Like I've stopped zoning out. And in front of me is... Oh poo poo. Georgia, and Shanie, and Zoe, and Theresa... This is real.

I did it. I screwed up. This is all my fault. I put a Hex on Georgia and did this... for what?! What was I even hoping to accomplish?! I bring my clenched fist up to my mouth and start to breathe quickly, sucking in and blowing out air through the cracks of my hand. I can feel my heart trying to burst out of my loving chest as I- I don't loving know! sit there? What am I even supposed to do?

I mean, look at Shanie... She's hurt, she's crying, and she- called herself Annie Harris? Wait. gently caress You. You loving deserve this. This is all your fault- it's everybody's fault. If it weren't for the rest of you Annie would be- Wait, what the gently caress am I thinking? Get a hold of yourself, Aina!

"NO, gently caress! gently caress YOU! YOU loving DESERVE THIS!"

...Oh. poo poo. Did I just yell that out loud? In the middle of class? In the middle of the fight that I...?

"I- it- uh-!" I stammer quickly, and just stare at my desk. I can't see them, but it feels like there's a million eyes staring at me right now. I really screwed up now. They know now, don't they? This is all my fault. I did this! "Argh!"

I can't deal with it. I'm already feeling like I'm starting to burn at the stake. I have to do something!

"Argh!" I grab my bag and just start running for the door. I don't look up and I don't let anyone see my face. If they see my face they'll know.

CLANG! On my way out, a chair hits my leg and falls over with a loud clatter.

And then I'm gone.

<Takanago> Aina runs away
<Takanago> !r 2d6+0
<Krysmbot> Takanago, 8+0 = 8
Choosing to Cause a Big Scene

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I don't have a clue what started this, but for a moment all I can do is stare in fascinated delight as the classroom descends into pure chaos. Georgia attacks Shanie, Theresa goes after Georgia - it looks like she was trying to pull her off but got violent - Shanie is crying and saying... something about her being Annie? I don't get that, but it looks like that set off Aina who just screamed at... I don't even know and stormed out of the room, and Georgia is still struggling against Theresa. And I know just the thing to do. Nudging the person next to me I lean over and whisper "chanting fight, pass it on!" As soon as they've done so I start it myself, just with a normal voice at first.

"Fight. Fight. Fight."

And then louder as a few people join in.

"Fight! Fight! Fight!"

Add in stamping feet and desk pounding.

"FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!"

[21:40:25] <GodFish> manipulate Georgia
[21:40:27] <GodFish> !r 2d6+2
[21:40:28] <Krysmbot> GodFish, 10+2 = 12
[21:40:30] <GodFish> oh
[21:40:31] <GodFish> well
[21:40:36] <GodFish> guess I don't need that string then! :D
[21:40:49] <GodFish> :getin:

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hot 0, Cold 1, Volatile 1, Dark -1 | Location: Class
EXP: 2/5 | Harm: 1/4 | Conditions: Killjoy

This... This is...

This is great!

Georgia was going to be my ticket to getting votes, but now she's a liability. I bet can get more votes by turning the class against her.

I run over to Shanie and kneel down next to her, hugging her, yelling over my shoulder, "What's your problem? She wasn't doing anything to you, psycho!" I look at Shanie with sympathy as I ask, "That looks kinda nasty. Are you ok? Do you want me to take you to the nurse?" I add, whispering, "And... I do want to be your friend. I had an idea, and I get... um... single minded about some things. But, I didn't know she was going to flip out like that. Sorry."

<Capfalcon> manipulate crowd
<Capfalcon> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon, 7 = 7

To be clear, Zoe's trying to get the whole class to think she's nice and to vote for her, by showing how nice and worried she is about Zoe's election chances Shanie, the new girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

EXP: 4/5 (H)(D) | Harm: 1/4 | Conditions: Secondary Concern

I can't help but cry out when I hear Aina cursing me... Maybe I deserve it.

Maybe I'm being a little overdramatic, but this loving hurts. It's not like there are many predators in the lake besides me; I haven't felt pain like this. At least, not physical pain. But, I can't believe she would say that... She doesn't see it like I do.

Anyway, Zoe is here, and she suggests that she should take me to the nurse, so I nod. If this is what it takes to get private time with her, then so be it. I drape an arm on her shoulder and try to stand back up.

I see that Theresa is holding Georgia down, and Ravenna--for SOME loving REASON--encouraging them to fight. It breaks my heart to see people fighting, but this is even worse. "Stop it. Ravenna... Stop it!"

I curve around Zoe to face Ravenna. "I thought you didn't care what people think. I thought you didn't want to be a part of the crowd. What are you doing..." I twinge my eyebrows and try to soften my face. I'm just so disappointed in her. "You're not a rebel at all. You just... put up this wall of attitude so people won't know that you're just the same as them."

Shut down Ravenna.

(RWT_m) !r 2d6+1
(Krysmbot) RWT_m, 7+1 = 8

Let's give her the condition Poser. Your turn.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 6, 2017

• Locked thread