Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Grapplejack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9rwdaI8rCo

I honestly don't know what's going on with any of the animations in this
I have to say that this just looks like some random clunky cover shooter, yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Grapplejack posted:

Mass Effect is one of those series that i can't even figure out who the audience for it is. Everything i see of it just looks clunky and mid-to-late-2000s-as-gently caress.

Same as Gears and Halo. Who gives even half a poo poo about any of these franchises any more?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

spudsbuckley posted:

Mass Effect is one of those series that i can't even figure out who the audience for it is. Everything i see of it just looks clunky and mid-to-late-2000s-as-gently caress.

Same as Gears and Halo. Who gives even half a poo poo about any of these franchises any more?

I think it's pretty hilarious that the plot to Gears 4 is literally just "it turns out the Locust didn't die but just hibernated until they became SUPER LOCUST, so now you have to do the whole fuckin thing all over again."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

Is lost planet cool? I realized I had a key for LP3 from a humble bundle or something and was thinking of checking the series out

Each game is pretty different.

The first game is a third person shooter with laser guns while exploring an ice planet and occasionally getting into mechs against cool aliens and occasionally some dudes, the second one is more known for it's multiplayer, and the third one is a story thing which is supposedly not bad but very serious compared to the first two games and was written by someone else entirely.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

spudsbuckley posted:

That's a little harsh. Who cared about DOOM, or Tomb Raider, or Wolfenstein between their heyday and their most recent releases?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Kai Tave posted:

I think it's pretty hilarious that the plot to Gears 4 is literally just "it turns out the Locust didn't die but just hibernated until they became SUPER LOCUST, so now you have to do the whole fuckin thing all over again."
Was the game any good? It came out exclusively on Windows 10 store so I immediately forgot it existed just like Quantum Break.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Jay Rust posted:

That's a little harsh. Who cared about DOOM, or Tomb Raider, or Wolfenstein between their heyday and their most recent releases?

Honestly, i found DOOM and Wolfenstein to be perfectly alright but perfectly dull at the same time and Tomb Raider 2013 was the good one but the newer one added open-world poo poo and boring subquests that were just utter poo poo.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

spudsbuckley posted:

Tomb Raider 2013 was the good one but the newer one added open-world poo poo and boring subquests that were just utter poo poo.

Hardly, there's a few small open areas with harmless optional side content but apart from that it's the same structure as the 2013 one.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I'm not sure how you could like the 2013 one but dislike the new one

plus lara is cooler in RotTR

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The original tomb raider games were only popular because of their marketing and Lara's boobs and rear end. You'd have to be insane to actually enjoy playing those games

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

spudsbuckley posted:

Honestly, i found DOOM and Wolfenstein to be perfectly alright but perfectly dull at the same time and Tomb Raider 2013 was the good one but the newer one added open-world poo poo and boring subquests that were just utter poo poo.

Agreed on Doom/Wolf. Tombraider felt more like a 3d metroidvania sans backtracking.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

The original tomb raider games were only popular because of their marketing and Lara's boobs and rear end. You'd have to be insane to actually enjoy playing those games

I love them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

I love them

Granted I haven't played them in 20 years or whatever but i never got the appeal

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Palpek posted:

I have to say that this just looks like some random clunky cover shooter, yeesh.

The player is underusing the mobility options a bit.

As for who plays it, it's not like there are a plethora of other similar games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

Granted I haven't played them in 20 years or whatever but i never got the appeal

I tell you what, it wasn't the god drat third person shooting of other dudes behind waist high cover.

It was diving from the top of a waterfall into a pond and heading into a cavern to find raptors and t-rexes.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you don't see the appeal in raiding tombs and shooting tigers then I don't know what to tell you.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Maybe Tomb Raider would be better if they gave Lara Croft breast cancer.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They were probably pretty impressive on a technical level too I guess

I only had tomb raider 3 as a kid and couldn't beat the first level but I liked running around croft manor

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Maybe Tomb Raider would be better if they gave Lara Croft breast cancer.

That Tomb, Raider

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Phantasium posted:

I tell you what, it wasn't the god drat third person shooting of other dudes behind waist high cover.

There was a cover system in the original Tomb raider, a game where you slaughter only innocent wildlife?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ahahaha if you increase your max health when it's at 255 in RCRU it wraps back around to zero.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Ahahaha if you increase your max health when it's at 255 in RCRU it wraps back around to zero.

(finger hovers over refund button) jfc

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's a throwback to old buggy video games, I like it!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MinibarMatchman posted:

(finger hovers over refund button) jfc

Give 'em a week or so, I think they didn't have enough testers. Most of the new bugs coming out involve stuff that the beta players didn't have access to.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Nasgate posted:

Agreed on Doom/Wolf.

I just played through new Doom and it was really fun. Like people hyped it up and I was still sort of broadsided by how much I enjoyed it and how visceral kills and weapon variety made it really work extremely well, especially at harder difficulties. It also utterly oozed atmosphere and the fact that melee and interact are the same button was not a coincidence or simplifying controls at all. It was hilarious.

To answer the question "who are these games made for" in reference to Mass Effect, the answer could just as well be "bloodychill and bloodychill alone" because I still really enjoy them. The new one is a big question mark but eh, that's every new game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Grapplejack posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Uu1K5sU.gifv

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Man you only see those type of punches in wrassling.

RCR while buggy is still cool. Then again I love beat em ups so this is pretty much my jam.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

Is lost planet cool? I realized I had a key for LP3 from a humble bundle or something and was thinking of checking the series out

I just played the first one, and I found it frustrating. There's a really good variety of enemies, humans, a variety of monsters, small giant robots. The core shooting and robot gameplay is solid. But there's a bunch of stuff that got in the way. You stop moving when you switch weapons. Which is made even worse by the fact that switching weapons is an interruptible animation. You have a little zipline thing you can use to get to higher places, but tons of places you should be able to get to are invisibly walled off, and the entire ziplining animation, from shooting it out to zipping up to landing, is also an interruptible animation. They were so excited about the power of next gen consoles, every explosion is hug and creates a huge cloud of smoke, so if you're fighting multiple enemies with rockets, half the time you literally won't be able to see anything. Depending on which direction you approach a robot from, the B button will either get you into the robot, or make you remove a gun from the robot.

There's a bunch of little stuff like that, it basically added up to a game that I can't say I enjoyed, but I'm definitely interested in playing the sequel

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jay Rust posted:

If you don't see the appeal in raiding tombs and shooting tigers then I don't know what to tell you.

raiding tombs is illegal and tigers are endangered

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lost Planet 2 was a cool multiplayer game when you get to fight huge monsters instead of boring soldiers.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

raiding tombs is illegal and tigers are endangered

I mean, I guess if you want like, aliens to rebuild atlantis so they can rule as gods, crime bosses to become immortal dragons, the fuckin Thing getting free from Antarctica*, mummies to rise again, or the nephilim to be ressurected, I guess you could not raid tombs because it's illegal.

*I don't actually remember the plot of TR3. There was an Antarctic research base full of mutants and dudes with flamethrowers, though. It wasn't subtle.

Edit: Also, who cares about shiiting tigers? When I finally play Rise of the Tomb Raider, I'm gonna be pissed if there's not a T-Rex.

All the good Tomb Raider games have a T-Rex.

Snak fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 1, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Palpek posted:

Was the game any good? It came out exclusively on Windows 10 store so I immediately forgot it existed just like Quantum Break.

I only watched someone play it because I was morbidly curious and it didn't really look that great, no. Like it's more Gears of War so if you really loved that series it might scratch a similar itch, but you spend a huge chunk of the game fighting the same dumb robots over and over instead of Locust monsters, the characters are even more forgettable than the original cast, and it doesn't really bring anything new or interesting to the mix.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Palpek posted:

I got it for free with my 1070, gameplay Is perfectly fine, same as every other gears game. The only new gameplay feature are the wind flares which are just environmental hazards that serve as set pieces for levels.
The story is pretty terrible and hamfisted. Every character in the game apart from Marcus wants to be Nathan Fillion on a Joss Whedon bender. Marcus is funny because he's doing a whole "too old for this poo poo" routine.
Music is pretty bad compared to the other games. Ramin Djawadi sounds like he recycled a bunch of his unused work for Pacific Rim, and it is really bland compared to the first game's horror music and jablonsky's epic scores for the rest.

spudsbuckley posted:

I just finished played The Old Blood today. It's not nearly as memorable as The New Order, but it is still a pretty solid expansion campaign. But holy hell is it bleak. I loved New Order for how it managed to balance B movie pulp with a very real, very depressing story that everyone took seriously. Old Blood's plot is not as good, but it still nails that balance of funny/sad/heroic/futile that New Order established.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 1, 2017

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

When I heard that this game was going to be more like Star Trek I didn't think they meant in the combat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That punch looks like mocapped stage combat shown from an angle it shouldn't be shown at. Someone isn't as good a director as they think they are (or they let the player control the camera there).

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I don't see what the big deal is. All the Mass Effect games, and RPGs in general, have their fair share of goofy/low budget animations in their 30+ hour playtime.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GUI posted:

I don't see what the big deal is. All the Mass Effect games, and RPGs in general, have their fair share of goofy/low budget animations in their 30+ hour playtime.

Yes but sometimes those games also have good graphics and animation, whereas this game has consistently shown that it has none of either.

edit: Remember that this isn't just goofy animations, this is what they chose to show the public. This is what they decided best represents the game. They sent this to IGN in this state and said "eople who are undecided on whether or not they're gonna buy it, this is what our game will look like".

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 1, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

GUI posted:

New Vegas is an infamous example of a great RPG with bad animation but it's usually laid at the feet of Bethesda. Honestly I think most developers gently caress this poo poo up, with Naughty Dog being maybe the only one to get it really right and a handful of others doing a serviceable job.

CJacobs posted:

Yes but sometimes those games also have good graphics and animation, whereas this game has consistently shown that it has none of either.

edit: Remember that this isn't just goofy animations, this is what they chose to show the public. This is what they decided best represents the game. They sent this to IGN in this state and said "eople who are undecided on whether or not they're gonna buy it, this is what our game will look like".

Eh, yeah but it's one 1 second clip in a big thing. It reminds me of the Brom scene from Horizon. It's really bad but having played the game for 12 hours now, I can say that the voice acting is usually competent and that was an outlier. However, Even stranger is that the facial animation rigging is also uneven because sometimes it's really good and sometimes it's even worse than what we saw in that scene.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 1, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

We need March thread titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bloodychill posted:

Eh, yeah but it's one 1 second clip in a big thing. It reminds me of the Brom scene from Horizon. It's really bad but having played the game for 12 hours now, I can say that the voice acting is usually competent and that was an outlier. However, Even stranger is that the facial animation rigging is also uneven because sometimes it's really good and sometimes it's even worse than what we saw in that scene.

I would agree with you were it not for that preview where the facial animations were all hosed and ugly, followed by a statement by Bioware that they recognized players' complaints and fixed them, followed by more previews where it isn't even slightly better- almost certainly changed, but not fixed.

Jay Rust posted:

We need March thread titles.

Nintendo Geographic Feature Film: March of the Joycons

• Locked thread