Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Thwomp posted:

But what's the context? I mean, is it last-minute polishing or "Holy poo poo, section 5 is still listed as [INSERT ACA REPLACEMENT HERE], pass the oxygen!"

One is very much the norm. The other....would be odd.

I read this as full rewrites.

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/836673210338918400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I don't get it? He's not near or running at anyone, why would the officer risk injuring himself instead of talking him down from a distance? Worst case scenario is he breaks some glass in the meantime.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't get it? He's not near or running at anyone, why would the officer risk injuring himself instead of talking him down from a distance? Worst case scenario is he breaks some glass in the meantime.

You'll never get on espn with that attitude

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

A better question is what's with the two cops coming out drawing on a man pinned by two cops already, and then a third cop coming out behind all four of them who reaches for their gun before seemingly to think better of drawing with four cops on top of one dude.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

KildarX posted:

A better question is what's with the two cops coming out drawing on a man pinned by two cops already, and then a third cop coming out behind all four of them who reaches for their gun before seemingly to think better of drawing with four cops on top of one dude.

Cops watch lethal weapon and want to be Martin Riggs.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

KildarX posted:

Desk jockies

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I get the feeling that the whole Iraq war thing is something that eats at him every single day of his life. As it should. I just don't get that feeling from other presidents or administrations when it comes to their mistakes costing lives.
Or something. I dunno.

There are some stories about LBJ post White House that can be interpreted that way.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

davecrazy posted:

There are some stories about LBJ post White House that can be interpreted that way.

Yeah that war pretty much killed him. The idiot.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Woof Blitzer posted:

Desk jockies

Bingo.

The guy who tackled him was probably a patrol cop who came back to use the bathroom and didn't have time for this.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

Bingo.

The guy who tackled him was probably a patrol cop who came back to use the bathroom and didn't have time for this.

That's the puzzling part. Even if he doesn't care about the safety of the dude with the bat, tackling someone on a hard floor is a good way to hurt yourself.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Worst I ever hurt myself was when I was working a hospital security job and tackled a patient who was punching the poo poo out of an EMT. During all of the ruckus my radio had slipped around from the side of my belt to my back, and when I tackled the patient we rolled and I slammed into a tile wall hard enough to break the radio. Took me the better part of five months to be able to walk without pain.

This was 2004, and in retrospect I'm lucky that I didn't come out with an oxy addiction because the doctor at the ED had seen the whole thing and just handed me four big sample packs of it along with a prescription for Soma as I was leaving.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

WaPo reporting that the dude who wrote the dossier on trump was once planned to be paid by the fbi

btw he's still missing

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...1518_story.html

edit: paid for it, so here's a c/p

quote:

FBI once planned to pay former British spy who authored controversial Trump dossier

The headquarters of Orbis Business Intelligence, the company run by former intelligence officer Christopher Steele, in London. (Leon Neal/Getty Images)
By Tom Hamburger and Rosalind S. Helderman February 28 at 4:08 PM
The former British spy who authored a controversial dossier on behalf of Donald Trump’s political opponents alleging ties between Trump and Russia reached an agreement with the FBI a few weeks before the election for the bureau to pay him to continue his work, according to several people familiar with the arrangement.

The agreement to compensate former MI6 agent Christopher Steele came as U.S. intelligence agencies reached a consensus that the Russians had interfered in the presidential election by orchestrating hacks of Democratic Party email accounts.

While Trump has derided the dossier as “fake news” compiled by his political opponents, the FBI’s arrangement with Steele shows that bureau investigators considered him credible and found his line of inquiry to be worthy of pursuit.

Ultimately, the FBI did not pay Steele. Communications between the bureau and the former spy were interrupted as Steele’s now-famous dossier became the subject of news stories, congressional inquiries and presidential denials, according to the people familiar with the arrangement, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter.

At the time of the October agreement, FBI officials probing Russian activities, including possible contacts between Trump associates and Russian entities, were aware of the information that Steele had been gathering while working for a Washington research firm hired by supporters of Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, according to the people familiar with the agreement. The firm was due to stop paying Steele as Election Day approached, but Steele felt his work was not done, these people said.

[Inside Trump’s financial ties to Russia and his unusual flattery of Putin]

Steele was familiar to the FBI, in part because the bureau had previously hired him to help a U.S. inquiry into alleged corruption in the world soccer organization FIFA. The FBI sometimes pays informants, sources and outside investigators to assist in its work. Steele was known for the quality of his past work and for the knowledge he had developed over nearly 20 years working on Russia-related issues for British intelligence. The Washington Post was not able to determine how much the FBI intended to pay Steele had their relationship remained intact.

The dossier he produced last year alleged, among other things, that associates of Trump colluded with the Kremlin on cyberattacks on Democrats and that the Russians held compromising material about the Republican nominee.

These and other explosive claims have not been verified, and they have been vigorously denied by Trump and his allies.

The FBI, as well as the Senate Intelligence Committee, is investigating Russian interference in the election and alleged contacts between Trump’s associates and the Kremlin.

On Tuesday, House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) told reporters that he had seen “no evidence so far” of Trump campaign contacts with Russia but said a bipartisan House inquiry would proceed so that “no stone is unturned.”

The revelation that the FBI agreed to pay Steele at the same time he was being paid by Clinton supporters to dig into Trump’s background could further strain relations between the law enforcement agency and the White House.

A spokesman for the FBI declined to comment. Steele’s London-based attorney did not respond to questions about the agreement.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer declined to comment.

Steele, 53, began his Trump investigation in June 2016 after working for another client preparing a report on Russian efforts to interfere with politics in Europe.

U.S. intelligence had been independently tracking Russian efforts to influence electoral outcomes in Europe.

Steele was hired to work for a Washington research firm, Fusion GPS, that was providing information to a Democratic client opposed to Trump. Fusion GPS declined to identify the client.

Steele’s early reports alleged a plan directed by Russian President Vladi­mir Putin to help Trump in 2016.

“Russian regime has been cultivating, supporting and assisting TRUMP for at least 5 years,” Steele wrote in June.

Steele’s information was provided by an intermediary to the FBI and U.S. intelligence officials after the Democratic National Convention in July, when hacked Democratic emails were first released by WikiLeaks, according to a source familiar with the events. After the convention, Steele contacted a friend in the FBI to personally explain what he had found.

As summer turned to fall, Steele became concerned that the U.S. government was not taking the information he had uncovered seriously enough, according to two people familiar with the situation.

In October, anticipating that funding supplied through the original client would dry up, Steele and the FBI reached a verbal understanding: He would continue his work looking at the Kremlin’s ties to Trump and receive compensation for his efforts.

But Steele’s frustration deepened when FBI Director James B. Comey, who had been silent on the Russia inquiry, announced publicly 11 days before the election that the bureau was investigating a newly discovered cache of emails Clinton had exchanged using her private server, according to people familiar with Steele’s thinking.

Those people say Steele’s frustration with the FBI peaked after an Oct. 31 New York Times story that cited law enforcement sources drawing conclusions that he considered premature. The article said that the FBI had not yet found any “conclusive or direct link” between Trump and the Russian government and that the Russian hacking was not intended to help Trump.

After the election, the intelligence community concluded that Russia’s interference had been intended to assist Trump.

In January, top intelligence and law enforcement officials briefed Trump and President Barack Obama on those findings. In addition, they provided a summary of the core allegations of Steele’s dossier.

[Intelligence chiefs briefed Trump, Obama on unconfirmed Russia claims]

News of that briefing soon became public. Then BuzzFeed posted a copy of Steele’s salacious but unproven dossier online, sparking outrage from Trump.

“It’s all fake news. It’s phony stuff. It didn’t happen,” Trump told reporters in January. “It was a group of opponents that got together — sick people — and they put that crap together.”

He later tweeted that Steele was a “failed spy.”

After he was publicly identified by the Wall Street Journal as the dossier’s author, Steele went into hiding. U.S. officials took pains to stress that his report was not a U.S. government product and that it had not influenced their broader conclusions that the Russian government had hacked the emails of Democratic officials and released those emails with the intention of helping Trump win the presidency.

“The [intelligence community] has not made any judgment that the information in this document is reliable, and we did not rely upon it in any way for our conclusions,” then-Director of National Intelligence James R. Clapper Jr. said in a statement in January.

The owner of a technology company identified in Steele’s dossier as a participant in the hacks is now suing Steele and BuzzFeed for defamation. BuzzFeed apologized to the executive and blocked out his name in the published document.

Comey spent almost two hours this month briefing the Senate Intelligence Committee. Democrats in the House have informally reached out to Steele in recent weeks to ask about his willingness to testify or cooperate, according to people familiar with the requests. Steele has so far not responded, they said.

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 28, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Is he missing as in hiding or Russians did a disappearing act

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I guess this is old news, but I'm not hearing about it until now.

Texas transgender boy not allowed to compete against other boys; Dominates girl's wrestling championship

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

The comments about that around the internet are pretty loving awful and I feel bad for the hate that kid receives.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

you just know if he was black, they would've deployed ED-209 with tactical nuke option.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Did he even want to break the glass?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pesticide20 posted:

The comments about that around the internet are pretty loving awful and I feel bad for the hate that kid receives.

Of course they are. :sigh:

I can't help but be amused at the hypocrisy of wanting him to compete against boys, then go change in the girl's locker room.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Reverand maynard posted:

Is he missing as in hiding or Russians did a disappearing act

hiding because the russians want to do a disappearing act

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

WaPo reporting that the dude who wrote the dossier on trump was once planned to be paid by the fbi

btw he's still missing

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...1518_story.html

edit: paid for it, so here's a c/p

The US gave money to Ahmed Chalabi, too

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

:lol: That was quick

Drumpf Says He’s Open to Legal Pathway for Undocumented Immigrants

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

this is gonna be pretty important to watch, if only to see how his business sense plays out in the most public way possible

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/836657603396702213

gently caress him and each and every shitbag that voted yes on his confirmation.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Trump assigned blame to others for the botched raid that resulted in the death of a Navy Seal.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The Buck Stops Somewhere Else.

EDIT:

Whoops, that was Truman.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

holocaust bloopers posted:

Trump assigned blame to others for the botched raid that resulted in the death of a Navy Seal.

Why should he take responsibility for the raid he signed off on?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
And there's that whole 8 year old american citizen thing that nobody on the GOP side thinks is a problem. Though to be 100% fair, thanks Obama.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

“They came to me, they explained what they wanted to do ― the generals ― who are very respected, my generals are the most respected that we’ve had in many decades, I believe. And they lost Ryan.

My generals are the best but also it's their fault, they hosed up. :psyduck:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

FastestGunAlive posted:

“They came to me, they explained what they wanted to do ― the generals ― who are very respected, my generals are the most respected that we’ve had in many decades, I believe. And they lost Ryan.

"I know more than the generals"

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Mattis should have Trump's trachea mounted on a plaque in his office for that.

Edit: You know what.

gently caress that. Its their own loving fault for agreeing to work under him.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
The raid was Mattis' idea, no? It was stupid regardless

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FastestGunAlive posted:

That....is a really, really good way to piss off like 95% of the officers in the entire military. Undermining them by blaming them for following your orders is, just, wow. You might as well take morale out back behind the shed and shoot it in the head now. If people start seeing orders they can't refuse in one hand and blame for those same orders getting their own troops killed in the other hand, people are gonna start thinking really, really long and hard about how they need to approach that situation.

That's purely on the self-interest side of the house. If you have any noble (:v:) ideals like possibly laying down your life for your country with the knowledge that your higher ups have your back and will do their best to prevent that, only allowing it when the cost to the nation is worth your sacrifice, welp, there goes that loving idea.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
We really didn't need to start ground ops in Yemen. I mean we're gonna have to eventually but this was half cocked.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

The raid was Mattis' idea, no? It was stupid regardless

The way I understand it, it was an op that was put together originally under Obama but either they delayed it or scrapped it and Trump hopped in and told everyone to make it happen and do it immediately with out anyone going back and looking poo poo over to make sure they had a good plan and it was worth it.

But the point is don't thumb fingers when you sign off on it or tell someone to do it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Genocide Tendency posted:

The way I understand it, it was an op that was put together originally under Obama but either they delayed it or scrapped it and Trump hopped in and told everyone to make it happen and do it immediately with out anyone going back and looking poo poo over to make sure they had a good plan and it was worth it.

Not sure how much truth there is to it, but rumor was that Mattis got Trump to approve the raid by telling him Obama didn't have the balls to sign off on it.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Seems out of character for Mattis, hopefully we get more details into this one day.

Saw a video on fb just now on a bill trump signed today that promotes women in STEM. Anyone have any insight or thoughts on this?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Not sure how much truth there is to it, but rumor was that Mattis got Trump to approve the raid by telling him Obama didn't have the balls to sign off on it.

This is as I understand it, although I remember there being other voices added to the mix, though Mattis was the only one actually identified as being involved.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

FastestGunAlive posted:

Seems out of character for Mattis, hopefully we get more details into this one day.

Saw a video on fb just now on a bill trump signed today that promotes women in STEM. Anyone have any insight or thoughts on this?

There were 2 bills:
-1 literally just adds a line to the charter of an existing organization that promotes women in STEM that the org should also promote women in STEM entrepreneurial and commercial and not just laboratory roles
-1 instructs NASA to provide a proposal to expand a program where they organize mentorships for women in STEM. This one also has language specific to making sure that commercial STEM paths are included.

So nothing bad, with a bit of the usual dose of Republicans elevating private industry. But overall minimal and I don't think either bill actually provides any money to do anything.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Somebody supposedly told him that and of course that's catnip to a spiteful rear end in a top hat like Trump who thinks his act is in anyway "macho".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There were 2 bills:
-1 literally just adds a line to the charter of an existing organization that promotes women in STEM that the org should also promote women in STEM entrepreneurial and commercial and not just laboratory roles
-1 instructs NASA to provide a proposal to expand a program where they organize mentorships for women in STEM. This one also has language specific to making sure that commercial STEM paths are included.

So nothing bad, with a bit of the usual dose of Republicans elevating private industry. But overall minimal and I don't think either bill actually provides any money to do anything.

Good poo poo for his speech tonight

• Locked thread