Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

TBeats posted:

I agree with you, but the way you confront things is important. Simply saying "gently caress off" or insulting people is not the way to confront things, and will just exacerbate the problems.
This. There are definitely people you can write off, but you should in most cases be arguing not to persuade the person you're debating with, but those looking on with less firmly-entrenched opinions. If your opponent makes an argument that sounds a little sensible to onlookers, you do direct detriment to your position if you rely on belittlement and mockery at the expense of substance. Sure, it feels good to you and the other guy probably even deserves it, but you look like a twat to a low-information third-party.

Of course, if the other person is a literal nazi, punch away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Pence was incapable of giving a simple affirmation that the United States is morally superior to Putin's Russia. I think the US has massive problems that we need to strive to correct, but for the president and vice-president to not unequivocally state that the United States is several orders of magnitude better than Putin's Russia is just utterly insane.

Also on Face the Nation:
https://twitter.com/RyanLizza/status/828293834253688832

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Ryand-Smith posted:

I am not a rabid rah pro Israel type but I have to point out these things. Israel will need the Jordan valley because as we all know Israel is the size of Long Island New York and if they don't have radars on the top of Jordan valley they are effectively defenseless against any attack from their east.
:what:
You realize that they occupied the West Bank and the Sinai in the Six-Day War, right? And that the relative strength of the Israeli military is at least a couple of orders of magnitude greater today than it was then—and that's not even factoring in the virtually-assured likelihood of US assistance? And that every single state on their borders is a hush-hush ally of convenience and/or so wracked with internal turmoil that they hold zero capacity to realize any silly dreams of acquiring Israeli territory?

I'm genuinely curious where the sentiment of Israel being unable to defend itself without occupying the Jordan Valley is coming from. Not the thread for broader I/P discussion, but hopefully mention of basic military capacities isn't too far out there.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Did Spicer seriously just respond to a question about the growth of anti-Islamic hate organizations over the last few years by talking about Trump's commitment to combat 'radical Islamic Terror'??

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Yeah just what the Democrats needs, another useless Obama stooge in charge.
At least it's not a Clinton toady. :shrug:

But yeah, it's definitely a sign that the party establishment is trying to placate the left while safeguarding their own positions (and thus likely continuing their losing strategy). Don't know much about Perez. Hopefully he actually has some substance to him and will move things in the right direction, but we'll see. Nobody can be as horrendous as DWS.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

So you know nothing about Perez but are sure that he's an establishment stooge who will continue losing strategies.
:bravo:
:confused:
I specifically said that I'm not deeply familiar with Perez and that I hope he turns out well, so I'm not sure why you're putting words in my mouth. What you seem to have misread is my casting aspersions on the motivation of the entrenched DNC establishment—they backed Perez because he's a known quantity and didn't get in the way of longstanding goal of putting Hillary in the White House, despite her many flagrant shortcomings. If Perez is to be successful, he needs to root out the pervasive groupthink that has lead the Democratic Party to its lowest point since Reconstruction. Maybe his experience working in the machine will prove essential to its rebirth.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Perez's main claim to fame is that he was Obama's Secretary of Labor, where he did a pretty good job of revitalizing the Department of Labor and implementing worker-friendly policies, including the revamped overtime rules that are currently in limbo. Before that he was Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights, where he did a lot of work combating voter suppression and other issues.

What a lot of people forget is that Perez was one of the most progressive member's of Obama's cabinet, and that he was universally opposed by Republicans when he was appointed to DoL for being too left-wing. He doesn't have as much direct electoral experience as Ellison, but he does have more credentials in running a large bureaucratic organization. In reality, there's not a lot of daylight between Ellison and Perez's policy positions, and with Ellison getting appointed Deputy Chair both voices are going to be represented in the party leadership.

It remains to be seen how effective Perez will be at actually rebuilding the party, but if he can actually get the Democrats back on the right foot and start winning elections that's really all that matters.
A Good Post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Ive never been in an Uber, I try and use cabs out of principal.
It's worth noting that NYC's taxi medallion system is an egregiously corrupt racket dominated by the ultra-wealthy. I agree that rideshare services must adopt better labor practices, but the taxi industry in many parts of the country is just so much worse.

• Locked thread