Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Bankers love Trump because of Dodd-Frank and the still-establishment view that Trump is just a normal republican. They haven't priced in the risk of intentional default at all. I'm wondering when, if ever, middle of the road people will start to realize Trump intends to do exactly what he says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

McCain has been running an independent US diplomatic mission for years. He also likes to tour Ukraine and promise support. He did the same in Syria when the civil war started. Given US policy in those countries you can see his influence is not zero but also not much.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Hey look, UnderSecretary of State will be a literal war criminal:

https://www.thenation.com/article/an-actual-american-war-criminal-may-become-our-second-ranking-diplomat/

He also claims Christians are the most persecuted religion.

He knows better than anyone how many thousands of Christians were being brutally murdered in central America.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Trump is in awe of the military, as only a draft dodger can be. And as an intuitively savvy authoritarian, he knows he needs the military to love him. It will take a lot for him to dump Mattis.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Oh good, maybe we will get to see the piss video after all.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

You know, sometimes I like to scan through the D&D Trump thread to see if there's any new news not posted here but since they've spent the past two pages debating which superheroes should or should not be gay I think I'm just going to keep out of there for a while.

Yeah it turned into yet another d&d chat thread / support group for broken brains meetup a while ago.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

There is a long and proud tradition of using terrorists as moral arbiters. Not doing all the bad stuff literal terrorists are doing? Then shut up, it's fine, whose side are you on anyway?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Also one of the key defenses of "enhanced interrogation" was "the terrorists do worse!"

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

redneck nazgul posted:

Depends solely on if he's a Scalia-originalist or a Thomas-originalist.

Thomas would kick it back to the states and have an obscure yet reasoned explanation. Scalia would have banned it nationally and twist himself into knots in order to justify it.

Didn't Scalia do exactly this back in the day to explain why it was okay to arrest people growing their own state legalized medical marijuana? It included some stuff about how even if you consume what you yourself grew, that means you aren't buying it, which means you affected the price, which means that you participated in interstate commerce.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I really doubt more than 25% of people support eviscerating banking regulation but that's definitely happening too. The Republican party is all about incredible branding and big opinion movers in society keeping the party together while the party pushes through policy almost everyone dislikes.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Given all the other Flynn stuff in the news, I sure have a guess.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Reverand maynard posted:

Doing so would be hilarious and piss of the FBI. His felony charges were dropped and he got off with a single misdemeanor.

On the other hand, he's not Flynn.

I'm confident the old, white, Breitbart reading men of the FBI will find a way to accept it, somehow.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I really want to know what these guys mean when they say "the swamp."

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

The most innocent possibility is that he broke his brain and decided that Russia was a successful model of foreign relations and security. As well as a possible ally. Which is incredibly dumb.

Yeah that's my theory - he went full on "dark enlightenment." I think that's the root of a lot of far right stuff now, getting all amped on the idea of authoritarianism being the only answer to the future. Here is a really good essay on it:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/10/the-gops-age-of-authoritarianism-has-only-just-begun.html

With a hilarious subtitle:

quote:

The GOP’s Age of Authoritarianism Has Only Just Begun

And it will not end with a Clinton presidency.

But except for that tiiiiny bit of ill placed prediction, it rings very true.

For Flynn, he's a bit of an odd duck in that he used to be a democrat, right? Generally the argument for authoritarianism in the modern usa goes "well if democracy continues, the young and nonwhites will take over, and they will change America into something I don't recognize." With Flynn, maybe he came at it from a less common angle, that in a world of shrinking resources, authoritarianism is inevitable.

Or maybe he just murdered a Russian hooker once. Who knows.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Good thing they fired the WH infosec guy.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Missionary Positron posted:

I still can't get over the delicious irony that it was ~the party of Reagan~ that literally sold out the US to Russia for a petty power grab :ironicat:

Russia is right wing now so lots of the base think Russia is good.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

Any other competent politician would say they aren't going to discuss the possibility of leaks and end the discussion there.

Trump outright confirms they are valid but says the fact they are valid isn't the issue, it's that they are being reported on.

Jesus christ, how much longer is this assclown going to be in office for?

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/831979186390605824

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

psydude posted:

I'm giving people who voted for him until the end of next month to come around to realizing that he's completely incompetent and barely literate. After that, all bets are off and I'm going to start making fun of them for it.

A dude in my office is laughing about how Trump is really giving it to the press. That is the level of alternate reality these guys live in.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Unilever is a huge deal. The CEO is deeply committed to all sorts of goody two shoes type concepts too. For instance they take into account the carbon footprint not just of manufacture, but of customer use. The push for concentrated detergents came out of that - the company saying "let's figure out a way to have our customers use less of our product." I wonder if desire to maintain that sort of corporate culture factored into the rejection.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

DoktorLoken posted:

Really? I always look at Unilever stuff as being run of the mill mega multi-national corporation garbage, but them having some sort of commitment (beyond just marketing garbage) to being socially and environmentally responsible is pretty nice if true.

Yeah they're often held up as being on the extreme end of the social responsibility spectrum for the mega corporations. (On the other side: most companies)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2010/nov/15/unilever-sustainable-living-plan

https://www.unileverusa.com/sustainable-living/

Starbucks also takes social responsibility very seriously. I can't think of much else as far as giant companies.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The funniest thing is the pizzagate truthers brainstorming reasons why it's okay for Milo to want to abuse children but bad when (totally real) satanic pizzerias do it.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

at the date posted:

Since no one else mentioned it, Julian Assange is a rapist e: multiple Swedish women have accused Assange of rape and he's holed up in the Ecuadorian embassy to avoid trial in Sweden, not for anything to do with Wikileaks (although Wikileaks is why Ecuador is putting up with him). That seems like as good a reason as any to dislike somebody.

Also rather than deny the accusations directly he instead refered to Sweden as "the Saudi Arabia of feminism" but his followers still act like he's innocent, since people innocent of rape say a bunch of MRA stuff usually then flee from justice. That's normal.

Edit: also on twitter the wikileaks account is almost indistinguishable from the infowars MAGA world and has been for a while, antisemitism and right wing conspiracy theories and all. (Some) leftists (still) love Assange but the dude is a full on Putinist/Trumper at this point.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 21, 2017

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Genocide Tendency posted:

Bullshit.

There is no way he has, or was ever given, that kind of authority.

Right?

Also.. A slightly under the radar story:

Trump lawyer is telling 3 different stories about a back channel deal with Russia.

This seems like a huge deal but the news cycle has moved on to Milo. Then again most of the Russian stuff that dominated last month was months old so maybe it just takes time.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

I'm wondering what's up with him getting canned by Breitbart - they print all sorts of fringe nonsense and are accountable to basically nobody, especially not the people who dislike Milo, so why would they fire him? Is this just a lateral promotion with bonus LIBERALS COMING FOR YOUR FREE SPEECH propaganda?

The Breitbart readership is bitter divorced dads and the dudes destined to become them. Milo worked when he was the reader's cool gay friend who told them it was okay to hate gay people (and everyone else). But once Milo talked positively about pedophilia, he became the exact sort of gay sexual predator who haunts the nightmares of divorced dads, along with other nightmare concepts like black women who get food stamps, and career women, and the women of Hollywood. He had to go.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

For the rich anti vaxxers, I have a out there theory that not vaccinating your children is basically a luxury good. If they need extra health care later, they know they can afford it, and they're letting everyone know they can. It seems weird but so is the tradition of foot binding, and that happened.

The death of expertise I think was accelerated by the Iraq war, where everyone on TV acted like it was a great idea or, at the least, completely unavoidable. Then you had years and years of victory being right around the corner, and years and years of "best military in the world and we just can't stop winning please don't notice our actual performance at accomplishing the mission in Iraq." And then the same thing happened with the housing bubble, which didn't exist at all until suddenly it popped and no one could have known (except all the actual economists who don't get the talking head gigs). And now more recently, "don't worry Trump will never be president." We've had a long run where the only acceptable opinions on TV have been objectively wrong.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The big differences between Perez and Ellison seem to be a) who supports them, and b) electoral operational experience. Perez seems like a good guy but it's an electoral operational role and he doesn't have experience there, and all the establishment losers who are happy to lose elections as long as they get to keep their speaker fees support him, so this sure doesn't seem great for the party. The democratic party overall is not acting like an organization in crisis, and it is. Their electoral collapse would be stunning in any time period, and it is absolutely incredible that it's happened in a time when the country has moved left on many issues, and when a popular democratic president was in charge.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 26, 2017

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Uber is a bad company that fucks over its divers with malicious glee, so that's bad, but they also are a vehicle by which ultra wealthy VC investment dollars are directly transferred to ordinary people through Uber's inability to make money on any of its operations, so that's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Uber the company will probably die sooner or later but the concept of "ride share" services are here to stay. They're going to get more expensive though once the VC dollar bubble pops for them.

• Locked thread