Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

get hype!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/826588658304217088

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Coffeehitler posted:

Yesterday, so SCOTUS nomination probably.

aw it looked like a new tweet :(

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Completely 'locked-in' patients can communicate

quote:

Patients with absolutely no control over their body have finally been able to communicate, say scientists.

A brain-computer interface was used to read the thoughts of patients to answer basic yes-or-no questions.

One man was able to repeatedly refuse permission for his daughter to get married.

The study on four patients in Germany- published in PLOS Biology - also showed they were happy despite the effects of being "locked-in".

The patients all had advanced forms of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, in which the brain loses the ability to control muscles.

It eventually traps people in their own body - they are able to think, but incapable of moving or talking.

When they become "locked in", it can still be possible to develop ways of communication using eye movements.

But all the patients in the study were "completely locked in" and could not even move their eyes.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Dutch to hand count votes over hacking fears

quote:

It follows reports that software used to tally results at regional and national level may not be secure.

Intelligence agencies have warned the French, German and Dutch elections could be vulnerable to manipulation by outside actors, including Russia.

Russia has denied allegations it interfered in last year's US election.

The Netherlands will hold parliamentary elections on 15 March - the first in a crucial election year for countries at the heart of the EU.

"No shadow of doubt can be permitted," said Interior Minister Ronald Plasterk.
"Now there are indications that Russians could be interested, for the following elections we must fall back on good old pen and paper," he added.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Tillerson voting live

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/02/01/us/politics/tillerson-confirmation-vote-live.html

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Hillary Clinton writing book reflecting on her election loss

quote:

Hillary Clinton is writing a book of personal essays, including reflections on last year's US election.

The former presidential candidate will release her untitled tome on 26 September, says Simon & Schuster. Financial terms were not revealed.

The publisher said Mrs Clinton will use some of her favourite quotes to "tell stories from her life".

"These are the words I live by," former secretary of state Mrs Clinton said in a statement of her forthcoming book.

"These quotes have helped me celebrate the good times, laugh at the absurd times, persevere during the hard times and deepen my appreciation of all life has to offer.

"I hope by sharing these words and my thoughts about them, the essays will be meaningful for readers," she added.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

The back and forth between Donnie and Arnold seemed lighthearted to me, but who knows with Trumpy

Meanwhile, in Russia
Russian critic Vladimir Kara-Murza suffers sudden organ failure

quote:

A prominent Russian opposition activist has been hospitalised with organ failure, two years after he almost died of suspected poisoning.

Journalist Vladimir Kara-Murza, who works for pro-democracy group Open Russia, fell ill at about 05:00 local time (02:00 GMT).

Mr Kara-Murza's wife told the BBC she was on her way to hospital where her husband is in a medically-induced coma.

The activist nearly died when he suffered sudden kidney failure in 2015.

"He is already on life support and in a medicated coma. It's the same clinical picture [as last time]," Evgenia Kara-Murza told the BBC.

"The reason is unclear like last time. He's been active and healthy [recently]."

The journalist's wife said he had suffered the same sudden onset of symptoms as in his previous illness.

"The ambulance took him directly to the hospital where the same medical team has since been trying to determine what is happening," she said.
"He was brought there conscious but was put in a medicated coma and on life support later, because his organs began shutting down like last time."

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/827263969509281792

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Maybe someone told him about Israel selling US tech to CHYNA

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Mattis warns North Korea of 'overwhelming' response to nuclear use

quote:

Mr Mattis spoke in South Korea, where he had been reaffirming US support, before flying to Tokyo.

He also reconfirmed plans to deploy a US missile defence system in South Korea later this year.

Speaking after talks at the defence ministry with his South Korean counterpart Han Min-koo, Mr Mattis told reporters that "any attack on the United States, or our allies, will be defeated, and any use of nuclear weapons would be met with a response that would be effective and overwhelming".

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

It sounds like Pence is planning that executive order, not Trumpy.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I just saw something on CNN about Trump meeting directly with SOUTHERN and CENTRAL commands? We going to war with Mexico and Iran at the same time?

you aren't supposed to reveal Trump's super secret plan!!

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

wow he's like an edgy 13 year old with that note

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Vasudus posted:

My personal theory is that Trump has someone close to them that's gay. Family member probably.

The man who has made it his mission to insult just about everyone has been rather light on the LGBT community, given how it's a red meat demo for ~the base~

Obviously I mean Trump himself and not his admin (lololol hi Pence)

Trump said at the prayer dinner that he'd rate Pence a 12 on a scale from 1 to 10 :gay:

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

America isn't all bad, just look at this (sadly very pixelated) guy

Former Vice President Joe Biden exchanges high-fives, laughs and photo with preschoolers

quote:

Preschoolers from the Goddard School located in Bethesda, Md. were greeted to the surprise of former Vice President Joe Biden Monday morning who happened upon them.

A Goddard School teacher, present at the time, said Biden approached the youngsters and struck up a conversation.
Next thing you know, the preschoolers and Biden were exchanging high-fives, laughs and even taking a picture, the Goddard School owner Michael Pesi tells us.
“The former VP Joe Biden showed up in an impromptu manner and made the lives of several students and teachers at our preschool," Pesi says. “Although he had a strenuous schedule, he took the time to meet with our teachers and children and take a picture in the main lobby. We couldn’t have been more excited and honored.”

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

CHINA: Mattis' comments on the South China Sea are a 'mind-soothing pill' that have 'dispersed the clouds of war'

quote:

Mattis, speaking in Tokyo on Saturday, blamed China for "shredding the trust of nations in the region," but he also played down any need for US military maneuvers in the disputed waters of the South China Sea and instead called for open lines of communication.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang told reporters at a regular briefing that Mattis' emphasis on using diplomatic means of resolving disputes in the South China Sea was "worthy of affirmation" and that the situation there was normalizing.

"This accords with the common interests of China and all countries in the region, and we hope that countries outside of the region can respect the joint interests and wishes of countries in the region," Lu said.

The official English-language China Daily newspaper said in an editorial on Monday that Mattis' comments were a "mind-soothing pill" that had "dispersed the clouds of war that many feared were gathering over the South China Sea."

"Mattis has inspired optimism here that things may not be as bad as previously portrayed," the newspaper said.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

Also, Kelly at DHS is actively telling Bannon to go gently caress himself, so Mattis and Kelly may, in fact, save us all.

or did he

quote:

The article has been updated to reflect comments from White House press secretary Sean Spicer. The article previously stated that Stephen K. Bannon visited Homeland Security Secretary John F. Kelly’s office on Jan. 28. Spicer said Bannon did not make such a visit. He also said that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Bannon did not participate in a 2 a.m. conference call on Jan. 29. The article also previously stated that President Trump approved a pause in executive orders pending new procedures. According to Spicer, it was White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus, rather than the president, who approved the new procedures, but not a pause.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.5215326a705e

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

That's a sweet looking Audi and I want one now

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/politico/status/828583522570993664

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/JebBush/status/828729568743849984

are you sure it's not because she is a clueless idiot, Jebexclamationpoint?

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

loving lmbo how is any of this poo poo real?

I love the Trump presidency for dis reason.

Incredulity at Duterte speech to lambast 'lover boy' son

quote:

Security aides said Sebastian "Baste" Duterte, a 29-year-old surfer, was "uncontactable" last week.

In his speech the famously-blunt leader discussed his "lover boy" son's private life and troubled relationships.

His son later surfaced and addressed his whereabouts, but the incident has left many Filipinos perplexed.

"Good morning, Pa. Don't get stressed. I've just been staying in the other house since 1 February," the younger Duterte posted on Facebook.

The difficult relationship between Sebastian Duterte and his controversial father is well-documented, but many Filipinos online asked why a president would use a public speech to settle private matters.

"My youngest son is a jerk. He's not been going home to his house anymore," Mr Duterte said in a mixture of Tagalog, English and the Visayan dialect in his speech on Thursday.

Ayatollah Khamenei: Donald Trump shows real face of US

quote:

"We are thankful to this gentleman ... he showed the real face of America," Khamenei said in a speech to military officers in Tehran on Tuesday.

"[It was] what we have said for more than 30 years - that there is political, economic, moral and social corruption in the ruling system of the US. This gentleman came and brought it out into the open in the election and after the election."

He referred to the case of a young Iranian boy who was pictured in handcuffs at a US airport following Trump's ban on visas from Iran, among other countries.

"By what he does - handcuffing a five-year-old child - he shows the true meaning of American human rights," Khamenei said.

A Handed Missus fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 7, 2017

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

:lol:

You can really see how he misses being president!

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

lol she's going through

what the gently caress

and it's done. Congrats, Americans

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Joe Biden is going to be a Penn professor

quote:

Former Vice President Joe Biden has been officially named a University professor, Penn President Amy Gutmann announced Tuesday.

Under the title of “Benjamin Franklin Presidential Practice Professor,” Biden will lead the Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement, based out of Washington, D.C. The center, which is set to open later this year, will be focused on diplomacy, foreign policy and national security, according to a University statement released Tuesday morning.

“We are thrilled to have Vice President Biden here at Annenberg," Annenberg Dean Delli Carpini said in a statement. "Although he is not scheduled to teach a formal course at this time, we are certain that there will be opportunities for our students to benefit from his presence at Penn.”

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/829044576711213056

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Failing "movie" "star" "Arnold" Schwarzenegger could have improved America big league, but went on Twitter instead. Sad!

Schwarzenegger jokes that he wanted to "smash" Trump's "face into a table"

quote:

Before the show started, Schwarzenegger said he wouldn’t vote for Mr. Trump. The president remembered and later criticized Schwarzenegger for lower show ratings and his job as governor.

The Men’s Journal article says Schwarzenegger weighed his options on how to respond.

Here’s how the magazine reports his train of thought:

“I called my assistant and said, ‘I think what we really should do is request a meeting and go back to New York.’ ” He pauses for maximum impact. “And then we just smash his face into the table.”

Schwarzenegger’s laugh fills the cafe like a small nuclear explosion. He rubs his massive hands together. “And then I think we can’t do that, either. I think I have to be above all of that and put him on the spot.” He wound up tweeting a reply: “There’s nothing more important than the people’s work. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you’ll work for ALL of the American people as aggressively as you worked for your ratings.”

Alexei Navalny: Russian opposition leader 'found guilty'

quote:

Russia's leading opposition leader, Alexei Navalny, has been found guilty of embezzlement, local media report.
A judge was still reading the verdict in the city of Kirov, but news agencies said it was clear in his remarks that Mr Navalny had been convicted.
Even a suspended sentence would bar the outspoken critic of President Putin from running for president next year.
Mr Navalny has denied the accusations, saying the case is politically motivated.
A sentence in the retrial may take hours to be read out. Prosecutors had asked the judge to hand Mr Navalny a five year suspended sentence.
The European Court of Human Rights ordered a retrial after it said he was not given a fair hearing in the first trial, in 2013.

A Handed Missus fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 8, 2017

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

suboptimal posted:

I can see these two sentences just pissing Trump off to no end, maybe to the degree where he orchestrates a small nuclear explosion to incinerate Arnold's massive hands and low ratings.

I'm just picturing Castle Bravo happening between Arnold's hands as he claps and I love it so much

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/829450891933732864

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

this could be a line delivered by a president in an 80's action movie

Basically my favorite Trumpy tweet so far.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

you can also predict the future if u really want to, with this handy tutorial

https://medium.com/message/how-to-always-be-right-on-the-internet-delete-your-mistakes-519a595da2f5#.1vd8wjv9f

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

the video is incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjcIIxHspv0

also they are playing golf later in Florida

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

^^ fak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7gp5A5TK0M

Press conference. Live!

hahahaha he's spending the weekend with Trump

RIP

A Handed Missus fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 10, 2017

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Lincoln reference. TRUMP TOWER namedrop.

Abe confirmed for best friend.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

'We will be... extreme vetting.'

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Haha Abe was like "whoa buddy, more questions"

Now Trump being a question about China and NK from a Japanese reporter. Donnie can't like that

Only laid back Donnie today :sad:

Man I hope Barry shows up when Trump and Abe are golfing

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

Police 'likely to recommend' indictment of Benjamin Netanyahu on corruption charges

quote:

Police are likely to recommend Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is indicted following an investigation into bribery allegations, national broadcaster Channel 2 has reported.

Multiple investigations into the leader were opened, but Case 1000 – which allegedly involves illegal gifts – was being treated as separate to the other ongoing investigations.

The TV channel reported that Case 1000 was to be closed with a recommendation to indict the Israeli leader in the next six weeks.

Mr Netanyahu was reportedly questioned under police caution three times as part of the inquiry. He is expected to be interviewed once more before the probe closes.

The leader is accused of accepting of tens of thousands of dollars in gifts – including suits and cigars – from wealthy businessmen. He has vigorously denied any wrongdoing.

Details of the probes into Mr Netanyahu have been scarce, and it was reported in June that the Chief of the Israeli Police Roni Alsheikh had demanded they be conducted in total secrecy.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Turkey's Erdoğan paves way for April vote on consolidation of power

quote:

The changes in the bill include abolishing the post of prime minister, giving the president greater power to shape the judiciary in addition to the cabinet, lowering the minimum age of parliamentarians to 18 and expanding the size of the assembly. The president would be able to dissolve the parliament, but the chamber could also demand a new presidential election.

Tezcan said the amendments would grant the president power over the executive, the judicial branches – because he would be able to appoint some of the top judges – and the parliament – because he will also retain his post as the head of his party, choosing who runs for elections.

Muhammet Emin Akbaşoğlu, a politician from the AKP and also a member of the constitutional committee, said experts had long argued that a presidential system was best for Turkey. That system, he said, would do away with relics of the military constitution imposed on the country in the early 1980s, erase the instability of coalition governments, and resolve longstanding conflicts in the authorities granted to the president and prime minister.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/jodikantor/status/830472838117208065

:pervert:

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Revealed: FBI terrorism taskforce investigating Standing Rock activists

quote:

The FBI is investigating political activists campaigning against the Dakota Access pipeline, diverting agents charged with preventing terrorist attacks to instead focus their attention on indigenous activists and environmentalists.

The Guardian has established that multiple officers within the FBI’s joint terrorism taskforce have attempted to contact at least three people tied to the Standing Rock “water protector” movement in North Dakota.

The purpose of the officers’ inquiries into Standing Rock, and scope of the task force’s work, remains unknown. Agency officials declined to comment. But the fact that the officers have even tried to communicate with activists is alarming to free-speech experts who argue that anti-terrorism agents have no business scrutinizing protesters.

“The idea that the government would attempt to construe this indigenous-led non-violent movement into some kind of domestic terrorism investigation is unfathomable to me,” said Lauren Regan, a civil rights attorney who has provided legal support to demonstrators who were contacted by representatives of the FBI. “It’s outrageous, it’s unwarranted … and it’s unconstitutional.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

Old White House Situation Room vs. New White House Situation Room

https://twitter.com/jonfavs/status/831000671461601281

:lol:

I just got a new av, but it needs to be Trumpy in this pic instead

it's amazing!

Trump will have another visitor this week: the Bibi-sitter.

He doesn't want any surprises either.

quote:

“The overriding goal will be to restore the relationship so that there are no surprises and no daylight,” said Oren, now a deputy minister in the prime minister’s office. “He’ll want to restore the alliance and make sure the U.S. is, above all, standing by Israel and working together with Israel to fight common threats.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-02-12/netanyahu-heads-to-u-s-seeking-to-reset-ties-after-obama-years

A Handed Missus fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 13, 2017

• Locked thread