Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I just saw something on CNN about Trump meeting directly with SOUTHERN and CENTRAL commands? We going to war with Mexico and Iran at the same time?
Mexico actually falls under Northern command. So we've lucked out... for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
wth is going on in belarus

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/827578206148501505

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

LingcodKilla posted:

Did a little reading on that. China got trounced so hard it was silly. Very Pyrrhic for Vietnam bust still.
I think Deng had different goals and intended it to be a very brief invasion.

quote:

That China initiated hostilities is beyond dispute, historians say, and the conflict was fought entirely on Vietnamese soil. It is also generally held that if the war did not produce an outright defeat for China, it was a costly mistake fought for dubious purposes, high among them punishing Vietnam for overthrowing the Khmer Rouge leader of Cambodia, Pol Pot, a Chinese ally who was one of the 20th century's bloodiest tyrants.

Since then, some historians have speculated that the war may also have fit into the modernization plans of China's former paramount leader, Deng Xiaoping, by highlighting the technological deficiencies of the Maoist People's Liberation Army, or P.L.A. Others say the war was started by Mr. Deng to keep the army preoccupied while he consolidated power, eliminating leftist rivals from the Maoist era.

Today, veterans often cling to these explanations but also fume about being used as cannon fodder in a cynical political game. "We were sacrificed for politics, and it's not just me who feels this way -- lots of comrades do, and we communicate our thoughts via the Internet," said Xu Ke, a 40-year-old former infantryman who recently self-published a book, "The Last War," about the conflict. "The attitude of the country is not to mention this old, sad history because things are pretty stable with Vietnam now. But it is also because the reasons given for the war back then just wouldn't stand now."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/01/world/asia/was-the-war-pointless-china-shows-how-to-bury-it.html

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Dude was dressed to the neins. The swastika that gave it away, but the haircut, boots and suspenders were straight from central casting.

All I could do was openly gawk because it was such a casual perversion of Americana.
Yeah I've seen people like that around. The craziest racist stuff I've seen was after my grandfather retired to a house out in a swamp in rural southeast Texas near Louisiana. One time driving back through Cut and Shoot (yes that's the name of a nearby town) there was a KKK roadside barbecue and meet and greet on the side of the highway, complete with white robes.

After gramps died my dad inherited the house, and the neighbors politely cautioned us not to rent it out to black people because it might catch fire and the volunteer fire department wouldn't rush to get there. It wasn't phrased as a direct threat, but a passive-aggressive "oh just so you folks know..." which is how they do down there.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Office Pig posted:

I have a strong suspicion this is due to Bannon's visit at the Vatican.

Edit: beaten, but at least I'm not alone on this.
Erik Prince is also mixed up with them I think. At least he seems to really love the Knights of Malta and names things in his companies after them.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's not a stealth plane but still, I'll take it.

Do it Trump.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad we're killing this stupid tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yep. Because most Anglos do not know "illegal immigrants" except from what they hear on the news, but they do know the nice Mr. Hernandez who doesn't talk about his legal status around the natives.

I was at a BBQ my cousin's wife was hosting and a lot of friends from Walmart -- where she works -- were there, and some friends from a local car shop. Note she is Mexican and most of these guests were Mexican. We're outside drinking beers and everyone was speaking English until someone's name came up, and she mentioned the fella had to "go back" for a bit, then someone was like "que?" and my cuz switched to Spanish to talk about his lack of papelas.

A lot of shops, businesses and small towns in red America are only around because of immigrants of varying legal status.

• Locked thread