Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

That wasn't exactly constructive. I still laughed though. Victim blaming is bad, but wearing that hat at a major nighttime protest in Berkeley in the current political climate is loving retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

psydude posted:

Ah yes, that most belligerent of countries that harbors radical Islamic terrorists, Norway.

The trump presidency has really empowered the loving morons that work in customs.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Blind Rasputin posted:

Isn't this the salute you use to get through customs quicker?

This made me chuckle

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Why exactly is this bad or wrong?

Every other federal action under this administration to date has been half-cocked and abysmally planned. The only thing that has been consistent is the level of blunder inherent in each undertaking.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

psydude posted:

Don't conflate malice and incompetence. Most Republican legislators have never crafted actual policy before and were elected after 2008 with the explicit mission of stonewalling the black guy. They have no idea how to loving replace it, and fractures are beginning to form among the party and its moderate members regarding whether they should repeal it at all.

Ah yes, the defense of "I'm too stone dumb to be held to any kind of professional standard"

That's uh, beyond weak. It's retarded, actually.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Dead Reckoning posted:

OTOH, I'm totally in favor death panels in the form that their most ardent opponents argue against. If we're going to have public option health care (and we should) we shouldn't be spending massive amounts of money to wring a few more months of life out of altered, miserable patients being warehoused in nursing homes. Close relatives don't make rational decisions about things like costs and quality of life, because telling a doctor to just let someone you love die when the default is more interventions is actually really hard.

Yeah, having children too. Poor's (minorities) can't make rational decisions about the number of new healthcare dependees they're adding to the roster!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, take the lowest standard of living you would accept for yourself and those you love, consider the resources required to live that way in a sustainable fashion, and then divide global resources by that number. The answer is probably less than 7.5 billion. Sooner or later we're going to have to take a look at that equation, but in the mean time, people will try to persuade you that an increasing population will give us an increasing number of researchers, which will allow us to invent technologies to bail us out from addressing these questions, despite A) past performance not being an indicator of future results, B) the strong possibility of decreasing ROI being applicable to new technological discoveries, C) many signs pointing to "no", and D) the catastrophic consequences of that prediction being wrong.

Is there a provision in the ACA that says we have to account for global scarcity in providing for our poorest? Like I don't even get what you're trying to say, other than "sterilize the poor, maybe"

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Wasabi the J posted:

From my Facebook feed

I replied:

They fired back:

These people are loving hopeless. I tried to explain.

Cop retirement should be being fed to the poor they worked around

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Dead Reckoning posted:

Providing healthcare and dealing with the global question of how everyone can have their desired standard of living (because people living in third world slums would rather live like people in the first world) in a world where continued access to cheap non-renewable resources is not a given and things like water and arable land are going to get buttfucked by climate change are vastly different problems, but you can abstract the fundamental question in the same way. (Whew, run on sentence.)

You want to provide X people with Y at a given standard using Z resources. Assuming that Z is not infinite, or at least not increasing faster than X*(Cost of Y for one person), you have a few options:
1) You can increase your available resources Z, which is probably either impossible or impractical past a certain point.
2) You can lower the amount or quality of Y that people receive. People don't like this when you're talking about their standard of living or healthcare. (RATIONING HEALTHCARE! RAIDING PENSIONS!)
3) You can increase efficiency to the point that you can provide the same Y for less Z. Better hope you can do this for as long as X continues to grow.
4) You can decrease/limit X. (Population control/denying people healthcare/keeping migrants out of the first world. People REALLY don't like this option.)

Basically, in both cases, people are really hoping that we can either do 1 or 3 forever to avoid looking at 2 or 4. IMO this is wishful thinking.

I mean, if you have an unfenced single payer system it's likely to collapse from an influx of new benefits seekers, yeah, but I don't think your friend is making that argument.

You've forgot the bullets you bitch!!!

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 12, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
All the fatalism in this thread reminds me of why we lost Iraq and Afghanistan.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Is there not a GiP policy of never mentioning skyshark precisely to avoid situations like this? Its not like this discussion is going to go anywhere but stupid

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I wonder what the NRA would say if a bunch of pot farmers strap up and get into a nice shootout with the DEA when they start doing interdiction raids in recreational weed states.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 24, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
12 people in critical condition from some piece of poo poo running into a crowd at a Mardi gras parade.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Zeroisanumber posted:

That stupid son of a bitch. I hope he likes humidity and farming because he's going to be sucking poo poo in Angola for the next decade.

Looks like it's some stupid teenager. He's hosed

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i rented a dumpster last year for a week. we've lived at our house for a year and had a pile of stuff we had no use for.

i'm probably going to do it again this year and just dump everything i can, i have so much stuff that just sits around that i dont need anymore.

Can't you just like donate it to goodwill or some poo poo? Its free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
That kanye outburst made me a fan for life

• Locked thread