Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Cole is posting good things atm.

---------
My current event is that my local library is the size of a 3-car garage and carries zero periodicals. The LARGE PRINT section is roughly 1/3 of the non-kids area. With the exception of one of the two employees, I was the youngest person in the building by at least two decades.

:sigh:

Anybody have a digital subscription to the NYT? I've got a couple of questions about the tiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That video is only missing a statement like "I have lots of black friends" to be pure distilled Trump Administration.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vengarr posted:

That's the other end of the spectrum, obviously. Being unwilling to debate is naturally just as bad (if not worse) than being too willing to debate.

The problem is that I don't think we have any of those people HERE (the Nazi racist xenophobic bigots). And yet there are a couple of posters who keep doing that poo poo. We're on the same loving team in GIP: Cynical Welfare Queens for Dogs (HCT spray pain that on the side of your bus). If you want to treat the extreme ends of the political bell curve like poo poo, I think most of the center would agree with you. But making GBS threads on the middle and where the curve starts to dip towards the right is literally a huge part of why we're in this situation and it's going to keep making things worse.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cugel the Clever posted:

This. There are definitely people you can write off, but you should in most cases be arguing not to persuade the person you're debating with, but those looking on with less firmly-entrenched opinions. If your opponent makes an argument that sounds a little sensible to onlookers, you do direct detriment to your position if you rely on belittlement and mockery at the expense of substance. Sure, it feels good to you and the other guy probably even deserves it, but you look like a twat to a low-information third-party.

It also convinces them that you're not worth engaging. Look at how many people ignored Bernie based solely on his idiot supporters.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^Agreed. I used to be WAAAAAY further to the right, now I'm fairly centered I guess. A lot more socially liberal, that's for drat sure, but I still like guns and big military. But I am so far to the left of most everyone around me that it's insane. If I took the tactic of making GBS threads on people in debates I'd probably be cut out of all human contact here except saying "hi" to the walmart greeter.

Mr. Mambold posted:

You can read 10 articles a month per digital device without subbing. Idk if that's what you were asking.

10 articles isn't nearly enough for what I have in mind. I'm curious if the cheap tier allows you to read old articles and if so, is there a delay or anything? IE, can I sign up for the cheap one and read yesterday's paper and older? I had another question but forgot it because I'm only halfway through my coffee.

I have similar questions on other papers, so if anybody has insights I'd appreciate it. :)

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 1, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vengarr posted:

Digital Subscribers:

— 1923–1980: Your digital subscription includes 100 archive articles every four weeks in this date range (from January 1, 1923 through December 31, 1980). After you’ve reached the 100-article limit for the month, articles from 1923 through 1980 are $3.95 each.

— Pre-1923 and post-1980: Articles published before January 1, 1923 or after December 31, 1980 are free with your digital subscription and are not limited in any way.

Did not see that. Thanks.

BigDave posted:

I subscribe to the cheap version ($4.99, I think?) and I've been able to look at any article I like.

That's what I wanted to hear. :)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

Ok, that's fine. Thing is, you'll lose.

Again.

quote:

Personal anecdote here, but I'm center-left. I've talked to right wing people, and we respectfully disagree on a range of issues. I've talked to left wing people, and they call me a fascist, racist, xenophobe despite the fact that I'm pro-immigration, anti-corporation, pro-choice, pro-LGBT and all the rest.

Guess what side is pushing me away?

:allears:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vengarr posted:

My question is this: "If Cowboys fans are dicks to me, does that make me more of an Eagles' fan? Or does it simply increase my hatred of the Cowboys, without deepening my affection for Nelson "drop it like its hot" Agholor"?

There is a clear link in the literature I've seen between partisan identity and anger towards the other side, but I'm not sure which causes which. Do I hate the Cowboys because I'm an Eagles fan, or am I an Eagles fan because I hate the Cowboys? In the latter case, why am I an Eagles fan instead of, say, a Redskins or Patriots fan? Was it because I identified with the Eagles to begin with, because I rationally selected the Eagles from among the 31 teams in the league (lol at the very concept), or because I didn't see any other viable options?

You may also hate dogs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Policies that worked splendidly for the Democrats from 2008-2016:

Bipartisanship
Being the adult

It's not going to work in loving Congress, but when you need common folk to agree with you during elections, maybe it's worth not pissing them off.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

SperginMcBadposter posted:

We had 8 years of "being the adult", and all it got us was the gimped ACA and a lost SC seat. It didn't loving work, it isn't working now, it's not going to work in the future.

Ignoring the fact that Congressional negotiating is vastly loving different from grassroots engagement of independent voters (which is what we're trying to shove down your eyeballs), what's your alternative? Because the course you're advocating got us President Donald P. Trump, and there's a non-zero chance that he'll be reelected if the left does the same poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Two Finger posted:

your odds of banging hot iranian chicks go down if you're bombing them

no war 2017

GO1B is bullshit.

For content:
Is this kind of press release from the WH as ridiculous as it seems. It's like a goddamned movie poster.

quote:

The White House
Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release February 01, 2017
Editorial Boards Across The Country Praise Judge Gorsuch

“A Leading Light” … “A High-Caliber Mind” … “An Impeccable Résumé” … “Deserves Confirmation” … “A Brilliant Legal Mind”

The Wall Street Journal: “A Leading Light On The Tenth Circuit Court Of Appeals… As Qualified As He Is, Judge Gorsuch Ought To Be Confirmed At Least As Easily As President Obama’s Appointees…” “Judge Gorsuch is a leading light on the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, where he was appointed in 2006 by George W. Bush. … As qualified as he is, Judge Gorsuch ought to be confirmed at least as easily as President Obama’s appointees Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor.” (Editorial, “Trump’s Good Justice,” The Wall Street Journal, 1/31/17)

The Wall Street Journal Editorial Headline: “Trump’s Good Justice” (The Wall Street Journal, 1/31/17)
New York Daily News: “No One Has Ever Questioned Gorsuch’s Intellect Or Qualifications. … A High-Caliber Mind… His Journey From Judge Gorsuch To Justice Gorsuch Is Easy To Envision…”

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Waroduce posted:

Guitars, Gin and Guns?

How about some organic, non-gmo , gluten free, vegan, locally sourced, non-fat, no animals were harmed in the making of this product LEAD MOTHERFUCKER

Coffee and Guns, c'mon n git 'em

5-Star us on Yelp for a free coffee mug and sticker!

Beristta

I'm sorry

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

shyduck posted:

Back when the current Surpreme Court nominee was in prep school, he founded a club called the "Fascism Forever Club". I mean it could and probably is tongue-in-cheek but at the same time, what the gently caress :stonk:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4182852/amp/Trump-s-SCOTUS-pick-founded-club-called-Fascism-Forever.html

also Zeris please rename thread or subforum to "Fascism Forever Club" tia

This must not be lost in the mix.

Can we ban Trump's nominations while we reassess the vetting process?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

Why would we want anything Russia makes?

There are a few good reasons.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Somebody's got to falsely promise bonuses to get volunteers and process the paperwork.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

F-15E, F-16, F/A-18...

Edit: Hahahaha, the Harrier? loving why??? :lol:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

Also if you're retired you can be recalled.

We had several pilots and mission crew commanders called back from retirement around 2009/10 for a year or two.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

not caring here posted:

I read somewhere that world wide Trump hotel's occupancy rates are down about 60%.

This is staggering if you take into account that hotels work on a year round occupancy average of 90%

Countdown to announcement that all foreign dignitaries will be staying in Trump properties on the USG's dime.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Has anybody told Trump that his immigration ban restriction keeps Jesus out of Amurica?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That Norwegian former prime minister wasn't a refugee, either. Nor were all these green card holders that are hosed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

He's not even trying to hide it now. We're only two weeks in.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

If you want to compare us to Russia over history and say we're not so innocent, I mean yeah, I can't argue that.

Yes you loving can. Russia is on average, as horrible as the absolute worst the US has ever been. We haven't intentionally massacred civilians since the 1800s like Russia's been doing.

Edit: V I agree with that, absolutely.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 6, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I grew up in a family with KKK members, like my dads parents were both huge into the KKK. I grew up in rural rustbelt small town racist as gently caress indiana, and I don't think I even met a jew knowingly until I was in my 20s.

I never heard the antisemetic poo poo growing up, mainly just ragging on blacks, but really not even agressively even in the 80s. Just dumb poo poo like "Those coloreds sure are good at football" or "He's a nice guy for a colored" that kind of poo poo.

I guess what I'm saying is despite kind of growing up in like, the perfect storm of that kind of poo poo, I never heard, nor will I ever understand, antisemitism.

To be clear that is not any way sort of saying it doesn't exist, it's just weird because it just seems like it's gotten so much bigger and wide spread recently. Probably though because of the internet making it easier for these kind of people to have a loud voice though.

Jews killed Jesus.

TBeats posted:

I wasn't a fan of the precedent Mattis being secdef set but if it keeps the nukes at bay at least until I graduate college then it was the best hire ever.

Mattis didn't set the precedent, Marshall did.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 6, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Reverand maynard posted:

If Trump fired Mattis I can only hope that Mattis would simply march on Washington was the Bonus Army 2.0

Except successful, I assume.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I honestly don't know why I'm surprised.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

We've been pointing that out since November, don't bother.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i love how amway gently caress jason chaffitz is getting buttfucked by both trump and his constituency

Halfway through that video and it's loving crazy. I've never seen Mormons that angry outside of a church basketball game.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

Halfway through that video and it's loving crazy. I've never seen Mormons that angry outside of a church basketball game.
The retired teacher at about 1:03 is loving baller.

quote:

I taught for 35 years in Salt Lake and I rarely had a discipline problem, because I laid out my expectations very clearly and I laid out the consequences. But once in a while at the beginning of the year after just two or three weeks, I could look at a kid and think, "You're gonna be a problem."

It's been two or three weeks.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

He's probably going to have that seat until he wins one in the Senate. That was a very liberal crowd.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:stare:

We're inside the looking glass.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

Oroville isn't even a big Town. gently caress evacuations.

They're giving tentative warnings for the next 50 miles or so, too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Press conference:

https://www.periscope.tv/CA_DWR/1yoKMeddkVeKQ

Edit: The periscope feed sucks, use that news feed posted earlier.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:lol:

I saw that too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

yeah thats like douchebag villian from 80s ski movie name

i'll give busta some respect for this. not as good as him jump kicking Michael Meyers in halloween but its up there.

Still better than Kanye next to Mike Myers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

At this point, it's something Trump might say.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^Yeah the VA already kind of gives us that.

shame on an IGA posted:

Pence wants Flynn's head, leaker to NYT says Pence beyond livid that Flynn directly lied to him about the contents of that call to the russian ambassador.

He should be.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Reverand maynard posted:

Drones are why I love democrats. The Bush family always used infantry. Bill Clinton just launched cruise missiles at assholes and Obama used drones.

This is part of why poo poo's hosed, by the way. Not that invasions are the best answer, either.

Svartvit posted:

Not all women are whores. You might want to see someone about that.

Yeah N4I. It's time you stopped viewing women as your personal playthings.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 15, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

After a complete engine failure.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I had to look it up, but that engine failure was in a 1942 Ryan. And the guy flies SAR missions and has actually rescued a few people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

Misogyny in the gay community is definitely a thing, not that I'm saying that's the reason here.

Yeah, I'd say N4I's pretty woke, really.

• Locked thread