Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T09X6nRScac

ESPN's documentary on the XFL is premiering tomorrow and if you aren't excited you are dumb as gently caress or maybe you just like good, real sports. Either way, it should be a fun hour of TV.

quote:

"I don't think there's ever enough sex," McMahon said. "I thought that there was the right complement of sexuality and a right complement of confrontation and the right complement of real good, hard-hitting football. I think that the viewer experienced the game."

Quick summary if you happened to miss out on this very weird part of sports (/sports entertainment) history, c/o Wikipedia:

quote:

Created as a 50–50 joint venture between NBC and WWF-owned subsidiary WWE Properties International, Inc.[5] under the company name "XFL, LLC", the XFL was created as a "single-entity league", meaning that the teams were not individually owned and operated franchises (as in the NFL), but that the league was operated as a single business unit. Vince McMahon's original plan was to purchase the Canadian Football League (after the CFL initially approached him about purchasing the Toronto Argonauts) and "have it migrate south,"[6] while NBC was moving ahead at the time with Time Warner to create a football league of their own.[7]

The concept of the league was first announced by league commissioner Tyler Schueck on February 3, 2000. The XFL was originally conceived to build on the success of the NFL and professional wrestling. It combined the scoring system of the NFL with the kayfabe and stunts of the WWF. It was hyped as "real" football without penalties for roughness and with fewer rules in general. The games would feature players and coaches with microphones and cameras in the huddle and in the locker rooms. Stadiums featured trash-talking public address announcers and scantily-clad cheerleaders. Instead of a pre-game coin toss, XFL officials put the ball on the ground and let a player from each team scramble for it to determine who received the kickoff option. The practice was dubbed "The Human Coin Toss" by commentators and led to the first XFL injury.

The XFL featured extensive television coverage, with three games televised each week on NBC, UPN, and TNN. To accommodate this, it placed four of its teams in the four largest U.S. media markets: New York/New Jersey, Chicago, the San Francisco Bay Area and Southern California, the last of which conveniently lacked an NFL franchise of its own at the time. The remaining four teams were placed in markets that had previously hosted second-tier leagues: Birmingham, Memphis, Las Vegas and Orlando. All of the XFL's markets except Las Vegas had hosted teams in the United States Football League in the 1980s; Las Vegas, along with Birmingham and Memphis, had hosted short-lived CFL teams in the 1990s.

The XFL chose unusual names for its franchises, most of which either referenced images of uncontrolled insanity (Maniax, Rage, Xtreme, Demons) or criminal activity (Enforcers [a reference to mob enforcers], Hitmen, Outlaws, and the Birmingham Blast). After outrage from Birmingham residents who noted that Birmingham had a history of notorious "blasts," including the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing in 1963 and Eric Rudolph's 1998 bombing of a local abortion clinic, the XFL changed the name of the Birmingham team to the more benign "Birmingham Thunderbolts" (later shortened to "Bolts").[8]

Contrary to popular belief, the "X" in XFL did not stand for "extreme", as in "eXtreme Football League".[9] When the league was first organized in 1999, it was originally supposed to stand for "Xtreme Football League"; however, there was already a league in formation at the same time with that name, and so promoters wanted to make sure that everyone knew that the "X" did not actually stand for anything (though McMahon would comment that "if the NFL stood for the 'No Fun League', the XFL will stand for the 'extra fun league'"[10]). The other Xtreme Football League, which was also organized in 1999, merged with the Arena Football League's AF2 before ever fielding its first game.

Here's the complete inaugural game, with my boys the NY/NJ Hitmen vs the Las Vegas Outlaws, starting with a weird rear end promo by The Rock and featuring Jesse Ventura on commentary and score updates from Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler. After a lot of bad game it goes to bonus coverage of other bad game Chicago Enforcers vs Orlando Rage, with JR and Jerry Lawler on commentary, and I'm pretty sure Jerry has never watched a football game in his entire life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioh3dXJnzws

For posterity, here is the XFL Million Dollar Game championship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuJvNBfFLGk

And here is a link to a youtube channel that has every loving XFL game ever, holy poo poo:

http://www.youtube.com/user/XFL101

here's some highlights with maybe like two players that ever played a play in the NFL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhjpYKlWms

The XFL was ridiculous and terrible and incredible. This documentary is probably going to be pretty good and you should watch. Discuss the documentary tomorrow, discuss the XFL, post weird anecdotes like how you watched the game that got a loving 1.6 rating on NBC. Tell me where I can buy an XFL jersey today.

RIP He Hate Me

Golashes fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I remember being really excited about this for some reason, and then turning off the first game after about 1 1/2 quarters of terrible football.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I still own a Tommy Maddox Los Angeles Extreme shirt I picked up when he was a Pittsburgh Steeler.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Austin wore that Las Vegas Outlaws jersey until it was so worn out you could barely tell what it was anymore

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

The SBNation oral history on this is really good: http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/5/7/5683742/xfl-oral-history

Apparently the preseason training camps were only 4 1/2 weeks long, which was insane for brand new teams that had never played together before. By the time teams really started clicking with each other, it was too late, nobody was watching.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
I went to an Orlando Rage game. I think it was against He Hate Me's Las Vegas team. I don't remember much about it.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
I remember watching games because I was a dumb, stupid babby who though everything the WWF put out was solid gold.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The XFL wasn't necessarily the pioneer on what's now a lot of broadcast standards but they definitely shoved a lot of it into the lime light. Sky cam, cameras in huddles, more press in locker rooms, they got a ton of that rolling.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

this is neither a ringsport nor is it all that rowdy anymore, but this looks good as heck anyway and I'll probably watch it even though I have practically no interest in American football

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

Venomous posted:

this is neither a ringsport nor is it all that rowdy anymore, but this looks good as heck anyway and I'll probably watch it even though I have practically no interest in American football

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I was at the first NY/NJ Hitmen home game, complete with a Vince McMahon promo on the field before the game and pyro and I bought an XFL football which I think is still at my parents house.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Oh and also the entire upper deck was tarped off.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
The scramble for the ball instead of the coin flip was the dumbest thing.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Loved the XFL as a kid, was super popular in school as a 10 year old. Even though it only lasted the one season, most of us had XFL balls and we would play with "XFL Rules" (4 downs, legal suplexes) through until we moved up from primary to high school.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Ask Me For Warez posted:

The scramble for the ball instead of the coin flip was the dumbest thing.

It also resulted in an injury the first time they did it.

The XFL was just terrible football because it was made up of people who the NFL, AFL and even CFL passed up on and good lord was it bad, bad football.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The games eventually got better when teams had more practice time to gel and execute a game plan, but even then it was only on the level of, like, a C-tier college bowl game. And by that point it didn't matter because everyone stopped watching.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Of course Coachman had to show up on this thing

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
I'm actually pretty amazed they got Vince and Ebersol to do interviews

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Costas is so loving smug goddamnit

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I totally remember those commercials, the actual league had no hope of ever living up to that.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The SituAsian posted:

Costas is so loving smug goddamnit

Seriously. i get where he's coming from but SHUT THE gently caress UP BOB COSTAS

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Peak Vince :lol:

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
god loving speed, coach

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This is making me want to punch Bob Costas in the loving face.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Bob Costas was in loving Baseketball what right does he have to get so high and mighty?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This is making me want to punch Bob Costas in the loving face.

:agreed:

I like how much this is making him look like a prick though.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
i still can't believe any of this actually happened

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
there are some really, really good vince shots in this

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

OH gently caress I forgot about the XFL blimp crash

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
When did Vince tape this interview, I sure don't remember him having that full of hair the last time he was on Raw.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

"I don't know much about the XFL blimp. Except that it crashed. Which I guess would have been an omen for the league" :lol:

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

ch3cooh posted:

OH gently caress I forgot about the XFL blimp crash

me too hahahahahaha

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
tommy maddox with the tommy maddoxest throws ever

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Golashes posted:

Every other shot is guys throwing loving BBs, Maddox throwing ducks

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Golashes posted:

The Steelers starting Maddox for a couple years said way more about the Steelers' QB situation than it did about Maddox's talent.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
it's actually really good that we're more than halfway through and haven't even gotten to an actual game

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Gonna buy a "Teabagger" jersey brb

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.
hahahaha I didn't know about the Teabagger jersey name. That would have been amazing.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Teabagger, loving LMAO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
tag yourself. I'm Baby Boy

• Locked thread