Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Fracking, much like Gun Control has no place in a progressive Democratic Party Platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zeal posted:

so how long till the whole rotten burg sinks

Never. One-party states are actually the worst. Give me a purple state with representatives that actually care about the voters any day of the week.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Hey let's talk about this bill here, instead of in the food suggestion thread.
Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/446/text
The text of the senate bill hasn't been submitted yet, but I'm sure it will look similar to various other bills that have passed one of the houses in the past:

https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/hr38/BILLS-115hr38ih.xml
Here is the house bill.

Now specifically in local news the NYPD Commissioner is "concerned."
http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...mmissioner.html

I say this is a good thing. The reason it's a good thing is that currently gun-laws are a state-by-state patch-work of laws that are basically incompatible with each other. Because the subject is "guns" typically the consequences for violating that patch work of laws are serious, possibly even felony's. Now there are a lot of patch-work laws in the US, Driving, Drugs, Agriculture, Insurance, etc. Though almost always, what is legal in one state is legal in all states, you see this with marriage for example, some notable exceptions are guns and drugs.

Now it should be fairly uncontroversial to say that drug laws as they currently exist are ridiculous. Something that is 100% legal in Colorado, is a Felony in Nebraska (hash or concentrates). This won't change for a long time because for most things, they are 100% under the states purview which is why Marijuana is legal in Colorado, but not in many neighboring states.

Gun's however are 100% under Federal Purview as they are explicitly mentioned in the Bill of Rights. It's an open question just how much states can regulate guns themselves, but one thing that has been consistent is that you can't "Ban" guns on a state level. You can de-facto ban them, like NYC and many other cities and California has done, but it's still a fine line.

Now why does this matter and how does it relate to the bills above and of course, why is it a good thing?

I say if you actually care about reducing gun-violence and are more interested in helping people rather then using "gun control" as a dogwhistle for banning them, the first thing you need is federal standardization of the law. Why? Because currently you can go to a state that has almost zero laws on purchasing guns, buy as many as you want, then head to a city like Chicago, or New York and sell those guns at quite a bit of mark-up with basically zero risk. The record of the sales are federal, if they exist at all, and once you've sold those guns the connection to you specifically is tenuous at best. The only chance the police have is to catch you in the act.

So how would a the above laws help? Well it would be a first step to standardizing gun laws on the federal level. Ideally it will lead to the dissolution of all the state ccw laws, to be replaced with a single federal CCL with specific requirements to qualify for them. Sure this would upset out-of-touch people from here, but the trade-off would be more strict federal requirements on who can actually purchase and sell guns in the US with the eventual goal of stopping straw-purchases completely. If straw-purchases go away, the supply of illegal guns to these communities impacted by violence drops greatly. Violence decreases, and people who want a gun are still able to get one.

Win/Win imo.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Yeah, this is foolish accelerationism that anticipates gun control to follow, and there's no damned way that happens federally. More people will die waiting for a release valve that'll never be operated.

Where are these deaths coming from and why aren't they here already? And how is that worse then the status quo?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zakharov posted:

Two people posted well-reasoned arguments on opposite sides of the issue without flaming anyone and you managed to be a dick for no reason, congrats to you

It's gobbagool, there is reason he doesn't post in the food-chat thread.

That said, I am not at all worried about an increased number of CCW's, and I still believe standardized federal law is a necessary first step for effective gun-control.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Shooting clays upstate is an under-appreciated pastime for new yorkers imho

Agreed.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

DoctorWhat posted:

Thompson isn't responsible for every loving bomb threat.

Yea most bomb-threats are students trying to get out of tests, or trying to censor speakers they disagree with.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

financially racist posted:

yes i'm sure students are making bomb threats against jewish temples to get out of tests :psypop:

Not sure where the "jewish" part of not "every loving bomb threat" came from but, agreed.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

financially racist posted:

so you're just incapable of inferring things through context then? or did you just not read any of the preceeding posts at all

Did you know that "bomb threats" are a thing that happens very often, and usually they are called in against non-denominational public schools.

Or to put it another way, not every loving bomb threat has to do with Jews, in fact the vast majority of them do not.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Grondoth posted:

I wonder if Cuomo will gently caress us on this.

Yes. But not by vetoing it, but by making sure the bill mysteriously dies in committee.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Affordable Housing? Heh, have you considered guns, or drugs and how bad those things are, checkmate.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know if the governor's mansion is where I'd put a muckraker like that. You don't root out corruption by having a few good people at the top, you do it by pushing for better accountability systems and having good, no-bullshit people willing to investigate and prosecute wrongdoing. If a Democrat wins in 2020, AG or FBI Director Bharara sounds really, really nice.

He could resurrect the ethics committee :unsmith:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I use "nothingburger" as a way to mock the type of dem who thought emails and possibly being indicted didn't matter but russia does.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

:yikes:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Closing Rikers has been a thing talked about for a long time, my question is, why? Where are those folks going to go? They just going to be shipped upstate or something? I mean jails actually do serve a necessary purpose even in a perfectly just system.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Hey New York City Dwellers. Vote on the participatory budget. Today is the last day, but you can do it online :)

http://council.nyc.gov/pb/vote/

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Question is whether Uber will survive long enough to get up here.

Also I've always had a reasonable experience with cabs here, so I dunno. :shrug:

Uber will be fine.

Protip: Taxi's in the city, uber/lyft outside of the city.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

whatis posted:

it's extremely funny, to me, that poverty levels in upstate new york are more than double the national average in most places. having a big laugh here that poorly thought-out and implemented economic development initiatives have failed miserably to address longstanding deficiencies in communities just a few hours away from new york city

No see you are supposed to be disdainful of them and talk about how NYC should secede from the useless rednecks.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GalacticAcid posted:

Is anyone ITT in favor of a constitutional convention?

Absolutely. Also New King's Democrats are working with various other progressive clubs to have a Con Con.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
it won't gently caress over anyone unless you just sit back and let it be run like NYC politics. In fact it has great potential to fundamentally change the state for the better.

but yea if no one gets involved then people like Hillary will write it and it will be poo poo for 99% of people. not unlike how it is now.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So if we can't trust the government (being against the con con) then how will anything ever get better?

get that OUT of my face posted:

i got an email from my local DSA meeting group about the con con, taken from somebody's union retiree newsletter

the only thing lacking are links to sites against the convention, but i think this email does a good job of outlining the concerns, all of which i share

What are the actual reasons to be against a con con? Because I see people who are "concerned" but I see zero concerns.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 01:44 on May 5, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
lovely incumbents are WAY harder to unseat then getting progressive convention representatives elected. The money part is true, but that's not really a new problem, and it will exist regardless. Right now things are getting worse for most people in the state. Doing nothing will ensure that things will continue getting worse.

Plus every single progressive club in the city is also attempting to unseat lovely incumbents. Many are also working for a con con. They are hardly exclusive.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
imo if your plan to improve the subway doesn't include increasing both man hours and capital expenditures, it's nothing but a political wankfest.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Lol his free college for all plan was means tested to hell and back. I'm not sure who actually qualifies under the plan, but it's certainly not "all."

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

MizPiz posted:

@NYCAntifa is apparently doxxing local nazis. Kind of hesitant to post the actual tweets for rules reasons.

What do you think would happen if someone that was doxxed by the, no doubt ethical and fact-checked, "antifa" account wasn't actually a nazi?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

He's right, but it's like the "welfare queen" thing. Yes there probably exists a welfare/child support "queen" who doesn't really need either of those things, but it shouldn't be a policy concern because there are millions of others who do actually need welfare/child-support. Or in this case "pan-handlers" is just a way to avoid admitting there is a homeless problem in NYC.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Real hurthling! posted:

nobody should have to beg in this city. seems like even the biggest homeless hating piece of poo poo has an interest in solving the problem as much as the folks that care about their fellow man. idgi. hoping it gets cold enough to get them off the street each winter isn't a workable homeless policy but its all de blasio seems to have.

Homelessness isn't something that a city can solve by itself. It's a societal problem that stems from the fact that we don't want to provide permanent housing to those that cannot afford it. How would YOU "fix homelessness?"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Real hurthling! posted:

with houses and money taken from rich people at gunpoint

:agreed: But I don't think De Blasio has the ability to do that.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm sitting here watching that million dollar listing show where dudes are selling 10 million dollar apartments that take the whole floor of a building that used to house hundreds of people and i'm thinking like yes there's surely no resources to shelter the 3-4 thousand people in this city with no means.

they got an entire block of the east village that they turned into only 85 units. good karma

This number is at least an order-and-a-half magnitude too small.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Real hurthling! posted:

the city estimates that there are only that many "rough sleepers" there are like 60k covered by the shelter system

I was counting people in the homeless shelter system as homeless, by definition. Current shelter's aren't intended to be permanent housing, afaik.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Real hurthling! posted:

i said

i didn't say whatever you're arguing about.

Ah, my bad. You were talking about the people that weren't covered by the current shelter system. I was talking about the current total number of homeless people which includes the people in the shelter system.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

a few years ago (((they))) allowed women to study at secular colleges and

:yikes:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

har har

for real though, the satmars are theocrats. somebody threw bleach in a rabbi's face because he was talking about child abuse that goes on there and the assaulter got no jail time

speaking of orthodox judaism, nobody's mentioned that David Greenfield isn't running for another term

Oh I 100% agree with you, and I have read a lot about abusive NYC landlords over the years. The problem is, there is no way to criticize the overwhelmingly jewish landlords without being accused of antisemitism. Ultimately it's classism and no one is interesting in even addressing it. De Blasio campaigned on it, and promptly forgot it after his "tale of two cities" reference and his successful campaign.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
There are two types of vacant buildings. One type are like the hundreds of empty storefronts you see in gentrifying neighborhoods, where the landlord doesn't want to sign a 10 year lease until he can get 10x what the previous tenant was paying. The other is the residential building that is "worth" 10's of millions of dollars that is used as nothing but a tax shelter for foreign investors. Examples of these are all the empty apartments that overlook central park, and all the "luxury" high-rise apartments that are springing up.

Different tax structures could address both of these problems, but no one who is interested in solving these problems as the power to enact those types of taxes, afaik.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Whether it would ban roger waters or not, it's a lovely bill.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

hotchanie69 posted:

ugh

yeah, their being "pretty much all awful" is why some of The Good Ones get faced with physical violence from enlightened citizens that are lashing out at backwards evil people, since they all look the same...

try not to assume every hasidic man is a pervert, rapist or racist until he does something to you plz and plz don't try to make hasidic women uncomfortable to laugh at what prudes they must be for not wanting you to sit too close to them like creeps do. some ppl like to whisper creepy things to frum women thinking that none of them speak english and understand what sucking dick or loving might be

to say nothing of the loving chabad treatment of women, wow... but okay

a totally inaccurate and biased Hasidic Bullshit 101:
hasidim a mostly unified front for issues that impact the levels that they share, insofar as need for land/space and socioeconomic concerns as with with tax codes, social service funding (especially for special education).

that said:
skver and vizhnitz are the most 'extreme'/fundamentalist sects present in decent numbers in brooklyn (since Neturei Karta doesn't have a lot of numbers, still has a presence at anti-Zionist actions). satmar has the largest population between KJ, willi, BP.

upstate skverers set a man's house on fire for starting a prayer group at a nursing home, still within ideological lines of skver but not under the rebbe's direct control, and when he was getting his family out he got set on fire.

hasidim. loving. love. fire.
holiday with fire?! gently caress yeasss, burn everything!!!
holiday without fire? some rebbe at one point surely set something on fire for celebration so let's do that too! !! !

but, the kicker is:
sectarian affiliation means very little for individual behaviors unless you've got a hardcore ideologue on your hands.
our example Everyman Hasid will daven (pray) at a shul (synagogue) of one affiliation while their sons go to a secondary school of another affiliation and their daughters go to an unaffiliated secondary school and their wife sits on a parenting board affiliated with yet another sect but the Everyman still wears a hat that is associated with the rabbinical dynasty that he grew up being educated with/his (grand)father's sect so if anything the gang colors of sectarian affiliation are a better indicator of ethnic identity until further details are found out from the individuals.

but, bloc voting affiliation is determined, generally, by hat. :v:

neturei karta wear the same hats as some Satmar, but Upstate and Downstate Satmar wear different hats and have similar voting patterns due to the socioeconomic concerns of their communities, which drives taking land from surrounding communities in Bed-Stuy or in Orange/Rockland counties and rezoning land to enable building huge, ugly houses and educational complexes if they cannot take over buildings left by the former residents of the area.

belz and bobov (very, very large sects in boro park, with some representation in williamsburg) wear the same hats and can be told apart by whether the man is wearing a certain type of belt on weekdays.
there are a lot of lil podunk backwater chassidic sects that people simply assume are parts of larger ones because of the hats that the men wear.

chabad-lubavitch wear hats nothing like other hasidic sects because Chabad are essentially no longer hasidic, so much as a hasidic-derived religious community with a variety of internal sectarian divides with deepening differences, ripe for a schism or two. their Russian/Litvak origin always had them ethnically outside the bounds of normal/general hasidic communities.
also, their food simply sucks and they drink too much.

chabad are worse than other hasidim when it comes to education for their children, following the death of their Rebbe a few decades ago, with zero English education whereas yiddish-speaking hasidim will have English education prior to bar mitzvah age for the boys and longer for girls, but because there are Chabad Houses as a presence on college campuses Chabad-Lubavitch is seen as more modern and assumed to be better about education, child abuse, sexual abuse, tax fraud, social service fraud, racism (unless you know about those Crown Heights riots), and everything that outsiders generally only associate with hasidim that have long, curled sidelocks/payos.

another shity thing: Chabad also do not hold by religious law that allows people to push strollers on the sabbath and holidays, using what's called an eruv (that wire or string thing sometimes gets writen about outside of jewish communities when people complain about real estate costs). not holding by an eruv leaves their women housebound for all significant religious and social gatherings but they're women so what does chabad care when it should just be a bunch of sloppy dressed men getting drunk to celebrate The Rebbe.
lubavitchers actively vandalize the structures of other Jewish sects or communities when they are in conflict with Chabad ideology, all while presenting a happy-go-lucky "chassidus means bringing joy and light to the world !!!" public image. sometimes they hire goyim to do the vandalizing for them

satmar and lubavitch used to get into huge streetfights with each other, with dozens of men just marching to each other's hoods to start poo poo. we can only hope that such good days can come again to brooklyn!!

chabad are seen as modern because they use Instagram and are those fuckers standing around asking, "excuse me, sir, are you Jewish?", as part of their evangelical outreach programs that aim to get every Jew on board with their specific, niche ideology in order to bring about the Messianic Age (which is what those yellow flags represent). if you are a woman that responds to that kind of thing they'll offer you shabbos candles and recipes to bake bread for your husband, like a good lil wifey!! :buddy: if your gender is ambiguous and they think you are a man they will let you wrap tefillin but if they find our you "should be" a woman they will be very upset because you should be making bread and babies

in politics Chabad-Lubavitch throws money and marketing efforts into political things with the same semi lowkey sneakiness as the Mormon Church (with whom they share many commonalities, as stated with that evangelical outreach and smiley sunshine misogyny routine).

while Satmar may be much more boorish and look more alien (especially when they sexually harassing you), they want to be left the gently caress alone to LARP their fantasy version of 17th century Eastern Europe complete with wife beating and hiring exorcists through advertisements in yiddish language newspapers, where as Chabad-Lubavitch's Mendy, Menachem and Mendy want to lead you to believe that their LARP of 17th century fantasy values is somehow compatible with modern life while taking your money until they exclude you for not stepping up to their level of observance or deviating from it once you've been suckered into it. they believe, moreso that other hasidim, that the rebbe's predecessors and The Rebbe, represent the One True Judaism and that their culture is the one true way to be jewish

tl;dr = it's chabad are the truly worst but they have better marketing and act like they don't hate you, while other hasidim don't bother with pretense

satmar have done worse for the image and relationship people have w jews in NY because of things like B&H camera's racism and satmar real estate deals and satmar men beating up gay black men and leaving them blind in one eye, while on a national and global level chabad-lubavitch is far worse poo poo

Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner are kinda affiliated with Chabad, while there are conspiracy theories (okay... stories) about how Hillary Clinton was loving some rebbe upstate because she was friendly with upstate hasidim while campaigning on state levels and then again while trying to be president.

so, may that hopefully illustrate who the real problem is

yeah, basically this, plz

yeah, this is going to get lovely. was hoping he'd have more class than this. :(

Agudath Israel of America has been allying with the Boyscouts of America and the Roman Catholic church to block the Child Victims Act.

sunday there is going to be a protest outside of the Novominsker Yeshiva in boro park, organized by an advovacy group called ZAAKAH. it is on FB

there are hasidic, yeshivish, and just-plain-orthodox jews that are protesting the sex abuse coverups within haredi communities (aka ultra-orthodox, the umbrella term that covers hasidic and yeshivish communities).

at the last protest a man came out to yell at the protestors and told women that they were behaving immodestly by protesting and would die within a couple of years because of such behavior...

yes, a female puppet is a great stride forward for frum women! !! :v:

the recent rally was aimed to protest military drafts in israel that impact haredi communities (not solely Satmar), but yes, they are religious antizionists. before the rally there were trucks circling in boro bark (and i assume Williamsburg/Bed-Stuy and maybe Flatbush/midwood) announcing the rally to community members that do not follow either Satmar Twitter accounts or any of the mass-mailers, shul postings, or word of mouth about such big rallies.

hasidic groups also sometimes rent out Barclay's and CITI Field for anti-internet/anti-smartphone rallies

fyi, the location for KJ was chosen by the OG satmar rebbe, yoel teitelbaum, before his death. ahron and zalman just drew party lines that included different areas. boro park satmar are seen as less frum than williamsburg and satmar in kiryas joel/yoel are another issue, despite who they affiliate with or in spite of maybe

satmar also had the issue with women driving a few years back. williamsburg, of course. so boro park may be a little like jewish Turkey under Erdogan and the more modern young communtiies are the kurds (if the kurds could mvoe to staten island or NJ to get away from bullshit...), williamsburg wants to be saudi arabia but they;re more like UAE with their realty obsession and exploitation of foreign labor to build tacky things with no building safety standards

soon one boro park rabbi is moving, with a lot of his followers, to a small town in NJ where there is an orthodox but not hasidic community already. the jews already there are pretty upset that hasidim are moving in becuse people already there moved to NJ to get away from hasidic politics, drama and problems. the already there jews are too upset to realize that a lot of the hasidim are moving because they are sick of the same poo poo, but they all look the same so...

hth

:wtc:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

MizPiz posted:

I stopped by the protest yesterday for like 15 minutes, it was pretty heated and they roped in other gentrification issues that are affecting the community. I actually think I can hear them from my apartment.

Did they mention landlords or real estate holding companies?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Matt Zerella posted:

if this is the measuring stick then there are large swathes of the city that have zero power.

This is very accurate, as you should know.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

gobbagool posted:

I'd love that. I have a 40 gallon barrel of cider I made from ancient trees on my lot, it's probably about 15% abv and tastes like vanilla apple heaven. one of my buddies does pig roasts and my 200 yard range is open for business.

This sounds amazing

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
How are these "jobs" programs and business tax-breaks anything other then corruption?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I put my vote in for the bern-man. I also saw him at Washington Square Park, which was awesome.