Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
all they had to do was money-hat a bunch of exclusives and gamers' total lack of impulse control would have done the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Google seems like they do best when copying someone else's use cases and making them better (or, at least, making them their own), but not developing something out of whole cloth. Stadia, as a streaming focused gaming service with a strong hardware component and little or no ties to their ad services, felt like a big gamble in that aspect. And that doesn't even take into account that ISPs are in no hurry to remove roadblocks like data caps or crumbling infrastructure.

Despite being evil, I gotta hand it to Amazon. They're still shoveling vast amounts of money into their game divisions including the open sourcing of far cry engine lumberyard, the numerous failed MMOs and team shooters, and now their own streaming service (Luna).

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sapozhnik posted:

all they had to do was money-hat a bunch of exclusives and gamers' total lack of impulse control would have done the rest

that's not a bad idea but when it came to Stadia, the top google execs had no backbone nor any goddamn sense.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

not android related but it's hilarious that google is probably making money hand over fist on youtube, despite not making any watchable content themselves, because I see a crap ton of ads before and after every video

well, good thing I can just mute it and come back in a half minute or so

too bad Stadia would never have had the ability to make that kind of money unless somehow ads were incorporated into it

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GEE, WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING??? I mean, Google has such a great track record of not shutting down projects or anything!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/textfiles/status/1196447880728453120?t=VRqch_GCGjk_aMncQxTNVg&s=19

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

sb hermit posted:

Google seems like they do best when copying someone else's use cases and making them better (or, at least, making them their own), but not developing something out of whole cloth. Stadia, as a streaming focused gaming service with a strong hardware component and little or no ties to their ad services, felt like a big gamble in that aspect. And that doesn't even take into account that ISPs are in no hurry to remove roadblocks like data caps or crumbling infrastructure.

Despite being evil, I gotta hand it to Amazon. They're still shoveling vast amounts of money into their game divisions including the open sourcing of far cry engine lumberyard, the numerous failed MMOs and team shooters, and now their own streaming service (Luna).

Yeah I think Microsoft proved with the original Xbox(unsuccessful)and then the 360(successful) that you can buy your way into the gaming market as a platform, you just have to be willing to lose money for a long time to prove credibility and that you won’t under-invest or cut-and-run if it’s not instantly popular. So basically not something Google is capable of doing.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 29, 2022

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lmfao

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the xbox also, while not at launch, broke a lot of new ground w/ online play. i think the meme back then was that an xbox had good online multiplayer, the ps2 was dipping its toes into it, and the gamecube/wii were "keep that poo poo away from me"

xbox live was a pretty big deal when it happened

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

https://twitter.com/textfiles/status/1575521733490376704

:lol:

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Zamujasa posted:

the xbox also, while not at launch, broke a lot of new ground w/ online play. i think the meme back then was that an xbox had good online multiplayer, the ps2 was dipping its toes into it, and the gamecube/wii were "keep that poo poo away from me"

xbox live was a pretty big deal when it happened

True. Xbox live was an actual service and the Xbox had built in networking. The PS2 required an add-on for online play (at least until the slims came out late in the lifespan) and how online worked was on a per game basis. The GameCube basically had no online except for Phantasy Star Online.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1552989433590214656

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

google started an internal studio with the intention of making exclusive, aaa titles for stadia and shut it down just a few months later.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The_Franz posted:

google started an internal studio with the intention of making exclusive, aaa titles for stadia and shut it down just a few months later.

It’s worse than that. They had the studio release a game, and then fired everyone and couldn’t patch critical bugs that crashed the game and corrupted game saves lmfao.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Pulcinella posted:

True. Xbox live was an actual service and the Xbox had built in networking. The PS2 required an add-on for online play (at least until the slims came out late in the lifespan) and how online worked was on a per game basis. The GameCube basically had no online except for Phantasy Star Online.

which, notably, debuted on the dreamcast which came with a modem

if the dreamcast came out with dvd, Sega may still be in the console business today. But, in terms of their hardware, they've always been a day late and a dollar short. Primarily because the dollars were irresponsibly spent elsewhere. But I think the modem (which you could switch out for ethernet) and web browser were good ideas (especially if you connected it to VGA).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I long for a Dreamcast 2 :smith:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the dreamcast walked so xbox live could run

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

sb hermit posted:

which, notably, debuted on the dreamcast which came with a modem

if the dreamcast came out with dvd, Sega may still be in the console business today. But, in terms of their hardware, they've always been a day late and a dollar short. Primarily because the dollars were irresponsibly spent elsewhere. But I think the modem (which you could switch out for ethernet) and web browser were good ideas (especially if you connected it to VGA).

on the other hand, i think of the challenges of integrating dvd hardware in 1997-1998 into an affordable video game console if you aren't sony and i laff.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i thought one of stadias big problems was that it was real hard to get game companies to develop/license their aaa titles for it, because if stadia took off then google would have a huge stranglehold over game distribution and game companies were not interested in creating something akin to the what the record labels did with the original itunes store agreement. google tried to get around this by going into first-party game development themselves but got distracted and shut it down (or, more likely, saw just how long and how expensive it would be to bootstrap themselves into a proper aaa game studio)

the technology worked well, its just google had no idea how to build a business model for it. which seems pretty on-brand for google

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

they knew

sb hermit posted:

(especially if you connected it to VGA).

i still don't have a dreamcast vga cable that works with any tv i've had.

works with an old dell wfp-2008hc lcd panel though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

FMguru posted:

i thought one of stadias big problems was that it was real hard to get game companies to develop/license their aaa titles for it, because if stadia took off then google would have a huge stranglehold over game distribution and game companies were not interested in creating something akin to the what the record labels did with the original itunes store agreement. google tried to get around this by going into first-party game development themselves but got distracted and shut it down (or, more likely, saw just how long and how expensive it would be to bootstrap themselves into a proper aaa game studio)

the technology worked well, its just google had no idea how to build a business model for it. which seems pretty on-brand for google

they already licensed stuff for use with geforce now, or whatever nvidia's game streaming service is.

the technology "worked", as in it had massive lag issues and many games were basically unusable unless they were specifically tweaked to work with it, and the entire method of buying games was ridiculous, because you had to purchase them outright, so that you could then stream them only on their platform

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
https://twitter.com/9to5Google/status/1575563340847480850?t=LmuvT3_gP-QYzhaKCCag6g&s=19

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

trump did this as prez (sort of, he wouldn't tell people first), now tech companies are doing it. getting fired by tweet is going to be the future now lol

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FMguru posted:

Stadia would have definitely not have "taken off" to the extent that traditional consoles would be overlooked.

Example #1: Microsoft was going to set limits on trading used games for the xbox one and it devastated its entire career before it even came out the gate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

Example #2: Microsoft (and, admittedly, Sony) started selling versions of their current gen consoles without disc drives. Despite the massively lower cost, they didn't sell anywhere as well as the disc versions.

Any exec that believes that digital only or streaming games would dominate the market to the extent that consoles would not be a first class market is either too old or too out of touch

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

sb hermit posted:

Example #2: Microsoft (and, admittedly, Sony) started selling versions of their current gen consoles without disc drives. Despite the massively lower cost, they didn't sell anywhere as well as the disc versions.
sony makes way more of the tumor-edition ps5 and the digital xbox has half the storage and 1/4 the graphics capability as the fridge one. i bought the replacement plates for the digital ps5 ages ago and still haven't been able to get one

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

butt dickus posted:

sony makes way more of the tumor-edition ps5 and the digital xbox has half the storage and 1/4 the graphics capability as the fridge one. i bought the replacement plates for the digital ps5 ages ago and still haven't been able to get one
yeah i was going to say example 2 has some great big asterisks on it

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

butt dickus posted:

Endless Mike posted:

yeah i was going to say example 2 has some great big asterisks on it

yeah, maybe I got it wrong

I just remember those days when every best buy had the digital edition current gen xbox in stock but the disc one is sold out

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I just really love the ps4 used game trading instructional video

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

sb hermit posted:

Any exec that believes that digital only or streaming games would dominate the market to the extent that consoles would not be a first class market is either too old or too out of touch

yeah, people made the same argument years ago only for netflix to murder video rental stores and steam to kill physical pc game sales

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
rip stadia it let me play cyberpunk 2077 with the good graphics. also lol I’m getting it refunded. that’ll be nice.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

https://twitter.com/Virion/status/1575569887908401156

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lol

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The_Franz posted:

yeah, people made the same argument years ago only for netflix to murder video rental stores and steam to kill physical pc game sales

pc games had it coming. The resale value for used pc games dropped through the floor once cd keys were introduced except for maybe genuine copies of floppies

I still buy physical versions of console games when I can, though.

Also, there is still brisk trade in buying new video media. Just walk into any best buy or target or (if you want) walmart.

Console games are still holding the line. Unless it's a title that's hard to find, a lot of switch titles (especially first party titles) can still net you MSRP if not more. I've been trying to find the pokemon gold or silver remakes at anything but full price and it's a fool's errand.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

sb hermit posted:

Console games are still holding the line. Unless it's a title that's hard to find, a lot of switch titles (especially first party titles) can still net you MSRP if not more. I've been trying to find the pokemon gold or silver remakes at anything but full price and it's a fool's errand.

all my switch games are physical unless they're indie/estore only

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I can certainly see a future where games are fully digital and when the publisher takes it offline, the only record of their existence is a streamer's playthrough, complete with annoying voiceovers and either a hundred jarring video cuts or a hundred hours of watching them hit their head on the same wall before consulting a walkthrough.

I'm just happy that such a future hasn't arrived just yet.

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 30, 2022

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

graph posted:

all my switch games are physical unless they're indie/estore only

Yeah, that's the state I want my library to be in. Most of my games are switch and physical.

limited run games has made a lot of money off of me

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i don't mind digital because at the end of the day, if it comes down to it, i'm willing to just fuckin pirate it. meanwhile i've misplaced carts and couldn't find them for a while

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1575562996050325504

be sure to read the description :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Zamujasa posted:

meanwhile i've misplaced carts and couldn't find them for a while

i have a little switch cart wallet. one goes in, one goes out. the boxes are in the bottom of one of my 5x1 expedits