Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
like, you can use google if your time or your data is worthless, but assuming you do anything of value to anyone, you probably want to do it somewhere else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

When android things was repurposed from a generic managed OS into only working on glorified alarm clocks before being axed entirely, something like this was inevitable and I'm shocked that they didn't just axe it all in one go so that they could save face.

On the other hand, Stadia isn't going anywhere. Sky's the limit! Just as long as Google can keep getting developers to port games to it.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

i bought an old anroid phone to read OBDII codes on my old AF car and motorcycle. It works ok but i don't like it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rip OBD I but apparently his son is doing an ok job on tour

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

wu-tang forever

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Pile Of Garbage posted:

wu-tang forever

i wore some music shirt forever ago to a coffeeshop and he put the wu-tang symbol on my cappuccino lol

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

brb going to pick up my welfare check in a limo

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i just switched carriers and because they're all insane it was actually a better deal to get an andoird, activate the line with it, then immediately take the sim and put it in my iphone. i don't know poo poo about these things anymore and i'm assuming if they gave it to me for free that it's garbage, but i was just wondering if there's anything i can at all do with this thing or if i should just toss it in the trash. it's a samsung galaxy a13 5g

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i just switched carriers and because they're all insane it was actually a better deal to get an andoird, activate the line with it, then immediately take the sim and put it in my iphone. i don't know poo poo about these things anymore and i'm assuming if they gave it to me for free that it's garbage, but i was just wondering if there's anything i can at all do with this thing or if i should just toss it in the trash. it's a samsung galaxy a13 5g

donate it to a shelter

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
It'll need to be active for a bit before you can get rid of it, or the credits will stop applying.

Technically it may have already stopped after the Sim swap.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

PIZZA.BAT posted:

https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a13-11402.php

32 gb storage, 3 gb RAM

but at least it runs android 12 which is the most recent version

might be useful for development if you need a recent phone for some APIs or to test new features

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Dodoman posted:

It'll need to be active for a bit before you can get rid of it, or the credits will stop applying.

Technically it may have already stopped after the Sim swap.

nah the benefit is upfront. it's some weird thing through costco. also if they gently caress me on anything i can just run to costco and tattle on them. i have six months to back out of the entire deal at no fault

sb hermit posted:

https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a13-11402.php

32 gb storage, 3 gb RAM

but at least it runs android 12 which is the most recent version

might be useful for development if you need a recent phone for some APIs or to test new features

i've spent my entire career avoiding front end development and i consider android dev an even worse hell. no way

infernal machines posted:

donate it to a shelter

yeah this is a good call

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It will be loaded to the eyebrows with carrier crapware because that is how carriers make money on phones. This is why the option you chose was cheaper and putting the sim in a crapless phone voids the terms in all likelihood.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

a 32 gb phone will not really be enough to store personal information but it comes with an sdxc slot so you can just put a big ol memory card in there. Maybe it also comes with a 3.5mm headphone jack which may actually turn it from a dud into something pretty cool.

Maybe you can donate it to a shelter, yeah, but it might be locked to your current carrier so that will be inconvenient. See if you can make sure it's unlocked, or see if you can just get them to unlock it for you for free.

As long as you pay your bills, I get the impression that the credits will keep applying. I doubt that they won't apply the credits if you just bin the phone but pay the bill.

If you keep it, make sure you activate bixby so siri has someone to lord over

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i've spent my entire career avoiding front end development and i consider android dev an even worse hell. no way

you won't appreciate the android apps you aren't using unless you see how messed up android development is

Should you use native librarues? Support libraries? How would you know which support libraries to use?

And then there's the app lifecycle

it's a real messed up system so it's always cool when it actually works correctly

of course, that's why a lot of apps use browser based stuff like Apache Cordova

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

though, to be honest, I haven't gotten into cordova. All my mobile dev has just been websites or native android :smith:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
more google related but the google maps autocaller for businesses (to update open/close times) is pretty weird. it's an ai voice tuned to sound like a normal white guy, its pretty convincing if its in the right loop and you don't talk over it. kinda reminds me of the movie sorry to bother you.

e: but for robots

Smythe fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 26, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

repiv posted:

google tried to consolidate duo and meet, and decided that meet would survive, but duo had more installs so they renamed that to meet, but then users didn't know where their chats went so they added a fake duo icon to everyone's app drawer which opens meet, which is really the old duo app (and there's still a separate meet icon pointing to the same app)

google.txt

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

at some point i'm going to say google is making art with their chat mess

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/12/23348999/google-pixelbook-canceled-team-shut-down

quote:

Google canceled its next Pixelbook and shut down the team building it

Google is getting out of the laptop game

Google has canceled the next version of its Pixelbook laptop and dissolved the team responsible for building it. The device was far along in development and expected to debut next year, according to a person familiar with the matter, but the project was cut as part of recent cost-cutting measures inside of Google. Members of the team have been transferred elsewhere inside the company.
google + hardware = comedy, every time

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

they got rid of the 3:4 (or was it 2:3?) screen a while back which killed any interest I ever had in getting a pixel laptop

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
google: dead pixels

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zamujasa posted:

google: dead pixels

I thought that was covered by the warranty

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

absolutely shocking

and how many hardware generations did they release before throwing in the towel?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

there's a big "Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II - Our deepest condolences" message on the front-page of the google play app store lmfao

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
lmao

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

No official word yet on Stadia's demise. I guess it's sticking around after all.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Google quit making tablets in 2015, came back for Chrome OS tablets in 2018, then quit for another three years, and now it's planning to launch a new Android tablet in 2023. Surely, we'll get another Google laptop someday, but we'll just have to wait a few more years.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/google-hardware-reportedly-quits-the-laptop-market/

I completely forgot about their tablet plans. What are the chances they get shitcanned before one even comes out?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Well, Samsung started selling tablets and they were so popular that pre-orders ended early

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/02/samsungs-new-android-tablets-are-so-popular-that-it-had-to-halt-pre-orders/

so Google is probably eyeing this very carefully and are salivating at the chance to sell mad dough so I doubt that they'll cancel their new tablets, if any.

However, tech outlets have spilled a lot of ink reporting on the saturation of the Chromebook market:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/11/chromebooks-on-massive-downturn-from-pandemic-fueled-heights/

In addition, it may be difficult for Google to take advantage of custom Tensor chipsets in chromebook since exploiting machine learning in the browser requires mature browser APIs that expose the necessary functions. And I don't think we're there yet.

Much easier for tablets to simply exploit existing Android APIs to take advantage of machine learning chipsets.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

In short, Google is likely to want to continue on tablets in order to push the Android state-of-the-art.

There is less enthusiasm to do the same for ChromeOS, so the pixel laptop was ripe for axing.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i dont think anyone cares about that even samsung

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
motorola xoom won ces best in show under glass. lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol Google canceled the Pixel android tablets because they wanted to push ChromeOS and now they are canceling ChromeOS tablets because (surprised pikachu face) people want phone OS but bigger.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

FlapYoJacks posted:

lol Google canceled the Pixel android tablets because they wanted to push ChromeOS and now they are canceling ChromeOS tablets because (surprised pikachu face) people want phone OS but bigger.

wow, wonder why google's so unproductive. must be all the working from home, and not the corporate structure that incentivizes killing something, anything, and replacing it with your new project

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

carry on then posted:

wow, wonder why google's so unproductive. must be all the working from home, and not the corporate structure that incentivizes killing something, anything, and replacing it with your new project

I'm going to get to staff if it kills the company

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
chomeos seems ideal for 60% of compy users

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1575520361617117196

:rip:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lol scroogled again

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
here’s why google shutting down stadia is good for stadia: a thread 1/???