Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Blue Train posted:

AT&T Antivirus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i tried to use android pay a few times and it would demand i unlock my already unlocked device and then beep a few times and ask me to put it against the reader a few more times

i just went back to using the chip

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
essentially, garbage

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
my nexus 6p (now two years old) has decided that the lower 25% of the battery no longer exists and will suddenly decide it's had enough of life and shut off, showing a "Battery is low: 0%" warning for about one second. cool.

jit bull transpile posted:

I'm on my third rma. All the googling I've done shows it seems to be random. Some devices will be fine and some will just randomly get hosed by an update.

I'm actually super careful with my phone and it is always either in my purse or flat on a table. I barely have anything installed either. None of the usual custom launchers or whatever that dypers gently caress their phones with

my roommate's first pixel had all sorts of issues, up to and including the audio not working at all, as well as random reboots. the second one (after an rma) restarts on its own for no obvious reason.

project fi is the only good thing about anroid and even then only if you don't use much data

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the email to sms features still exist so that companies can be super cheap and not pay for sending sms messages

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i'm late to the smart tv chat but there's one here in the office and we decided to connect it to the guest wifi just for laughs

about a week later, on two separate occasions, it switched from an hdmi input to... playing some stream of american idol and whatever the european clone of that show was. nobody had even touched it. the remote was sitting on a desk ten feet away from anyone.

i knew smart tvs were absolute trash but it was something else seeing it in person

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

elmer chud posted:

That little tumor at the top left is the antenna

you're molding it wrong

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
why keep a perfectly good button when we could make it some wacky finger waving gesture instead

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

all the life of a pencil, even have to stick it in the sharpener once in a while

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
⚡ rapidly discharging

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

amberpos bestpos

:right:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

jit bull transpile posted:

Oh God the notification shade is so ugly and they moved the clock to the other side of the bar to accommodate a notch my phone does not have. loving christ Google.

knowing :google: i'm genuinely surprised they didn't just simulate a notch by blacking out that part of the screen

(instead they blacked out the entire screen :haw: )

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The Management posted:

what did the person on the google support line say when you told them their update killed your phone?

quote:

We’re living in a new kind of computing environment. Everyone has a device, sometimes multiple devices. It’s been a long time since we have had this rate of change—it probably hasn’t happened since the birth of personal computing 40 years ago. To make the most of these opportunities, we need to focus—otherwise we spread ourselves too thin and lack impact. So today we’ve announced some more closures, bringing the total to 70 devices bricked since our spring cleaning began in 2018.

These changes are never easy. But by focusing our efforts, we can concentrate on building great products that really help in their lives.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

smart outlets as a dumb outlet for dumber ideas for the dumbest phone

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

qirex posted:

google is currently going buck wild with corner radii

when will they fit a notch into it

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

crepeface posted:

which one of you posted this on the pixel subreddit

holy poo poo! piiissssssssssssssssss!!!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
another one night stadia from google

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i also have cox internet and i never have to call the doctor because my internet is not capable of staying up for more than four hours

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

infernal machines posted:

:shrug: you're not going to open outlook one day and find it missing buttons. if you do, someone hosed up because there are stable lts versions and patching and upgrades can be managed.

if you don't give a poo poo about any of that, then sure, maybe gsuite is your speed.

unless you use office365 and have outlook on the web

lol

:suicide:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Jenny Agutter posted:

my big issue with apple music was it does zero buffering, as soon as you hit a patch of spotty reception it’s gone

cd skipping is back in ipod form

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
having adblock on phone is good, requiring adblock because your phone has built-in ads is just :lol:

Jenny Agutter posted:

people accept ads on their cable they pay $150/mo for, we are extremely conditioned for it

even better now that smart tvs are showing their own ads. cant wait until some tv manufacturer gets in poo poo for displaying their own ads over commercials :haw:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
it was agony watching someone try to back a car out while the parking brake was on. the car would just lurch a little

it took several "why car no go" before the idiot in the drivers seat disengaged the brake

people are idiots

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
this one was a pedal, for the record

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

crepeface posted:

the new phones dont have soli (which is good)

google nest a "smart" thermostat

lets jam in new tech half-baked then remove already existing features to reduce the cost!

wasn't the whole point of the nest thing to be "learning" (even though nobody loving constantly fucks with the thermostat constantly)

like what differentiates the new one from one of the other fifty billion "smart" thermostats

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i actually have a nest thermostat (:suicide:) but i turned all the smart poo poo off so i don't know how any of it worked, other than badly enough that i had to turn it off

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
also lets you just tell it to run the fan every so often without the a/c part, which is useful for places that have poo poo circulation or if you want to clog your filter with dust after a week

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The auto-away stuff doesn't activate at night, iirc? Otherwise that'd be stupid. But it does activate during the day if nobody walks in front of the thermostat for a while.

Real pleasant when it decides to do that in a hot summer day and it immediately starts rising above 80F+.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Endless Mike posted:

lol no they don't

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

mediaphage posted:

it's because nobody has made them super easy to use yet. philips is successful because it mostly just works, and it's not some one app trying to run your whole house: it's an app for lights, so it's easy to grok

the amazon home assistant thing also works pretty well with it. "alexa, turn the master bedroom lights on" is pretty handy.

everything else has been trash

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The Management posted:

by now Google has burned every hardware partner that has worked with them. I have no idea why anyone would trust them in the future

it's pretty funny hearing how some big company has partnered with goog to do something or other and getting to be 100% confident that whatever idiot product they make will be dead and buried within two years at best and likely sooner

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sagebrush posted:

the only two gestures that are good are swipe scrolling and pinch to zoom.

unfortunately every tech company, including apple, took exactly the wrong lesson from that innovation and instead of learning "digital interfaces can benefit from physical metaphor" they now think "wow gestures are just inherently better than buttons"

:hai:

e: swipe snipe

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
for a while i was blissfully unaware of the android gesture pill. didn't they try to make that mandatory on later pixel phones

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
back when i used a timbphone it would ask for my passphrase if i dind't unlock my phone by fingerprint for a day or so. as long as i hosed with it twice a day it'd stay like that

with my pixel it just does it whenever the gently caress. i'll hit lock and a minute later go to unlock it and it'll require my password again

it's extremely annoying. android

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
just like when adnroid 9 or whatever made it so that the volume buttons no longer changed the volume of your ringtone/alerts

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
even funnier when you remember they released a chromecast that didn't include stadia support, despite the chromecast being explicitly a thing to stream poo poo to your tv

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Silver Alicorn posted:

tbh stadia is starting to be appealing since it’s impossible to buy a new video card

as someone who had their video card fry itself a few weeks ago im really feelin this

would never do stadia tho

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Drastic Actions posted:

truly productive posting that only the surface duo can provide.

:2bong:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
stadios

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
yyyy-mm-dd is correct, not just for computers

file.cab / 2021 / 06 / 04 / shitpost.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU