Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Last Chance posted:

didn mozilla firefux make one

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KaiOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

trying out mobile firefox because, in a twist that literally nobody could have seen coming, google chrome started to randomly run like poo poo on my piece of poo poo google phone

I've only used mobile firefox on my Pixel 3a as much as possible since it uses the same chrome renderer but doesn't have any of the high level integration (such as google accounts or passwords). It actually works really well for the most part.

Well, one interesting thing about passwords. Firefox saves passwords too, but if you attempt to login to a website where Chrome has the password, then Firefox will actually ask you if you want to use autofill to fetch the password from Chrome.

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 24, 2020

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

pretty sure you can get your phone to tell chromecast to stream Netflix. No doubt other apps on your phone can do it too.

As long as the app and the app backends support the Chromecast framework, it's pretty good for what it does without resorting to just Youtube.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Netflix, Crunchyroll, Twitch, Pandora, and Spotify are some of the apps that I have on my Android that can directly interface with my chromecast.

Watching anime right now, even after killing the crunchyroll app and turning off wifi.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

LastInLine posted:

ive never seen a media app on android that cant stream to chromecast. even diy hacky apps like automation apps can do it directly

that being said google is taking the first steps toward killing the chromecast already with the next version running android and having a ton more overhead. from the little information out there it looks like theyre trying to turn it into an android tv dongle with an actual interface and standalone remote control. i imagine the reasoning behind it is that chromecast is impossible for non-nerds to understand on the one side and on the technical side it can become unreliable in some situations where the controls on the phone become unsynced or devices dont show on casting devices due to networking issues but i certainly dont trust them to fix the shortcomings without killing what makes it so great

My guess is that Google needs more low cost and widely available options for people to pick up Stadia.

Remember when Google tried to push Google Plus integration into everything, including Youtube? Stadia is now that brat that demands attention and the world will suffer for it until Google gives up (or succeeds).

Another gddm remote that clutters up my coffee table is the last thing I need.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

95 was orders of magnitude better than 3.1

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I stopped buying windows once the licenses were just a part of the system that I bought. Sometime in the Windows Vista era.

Needless to say, any whitebox systems I made after that point were solely for Linux.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

they want to make sure you're paying attention

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have a Pixel 3a that is about a year old and it's very needs suiting, OP.

I also have a Pixel 2 that someone gave me and it has a self reported battery life of one week. These seem to be good phones for decent people.

I'd give them to my parents except that I'd never give them an Android phone because I despise phone janitoring and I barely have to touch their iPhones except when I have to replace them.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

phone janitoring other phones

it's ok if I just have to janitor my own

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

carry on then posted:

okay okay let's put this thing out to pasture

not much else to steer the conversation though

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

new firefox android is out and websites look a bit off now

also, there is still no bookmark export, and about:config does not work. The best thing about old firefox for android was no pocket integration and now that's gone too.

But I guess you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Weaponized Autism posted:

i nabbed the new google tv (Sky) which was showing as sold out since launch but glad i got it

i also ordered Stadia Premiere, never got a confirmation email and also didn't show up in my order history in Google Shopping. i contact stadia support and explain i see no evidence of my purchase, and i send proof from my credit card company of the transaction. they tell me, you need to talk to Google Pay Support. okay fine, so I email them and explain the same situation. they tell me they're going to route my ticket to goggle shopping support. i dont know why stadia didn't just do that in the first place? why does it take 3 separate support departments to handle my request? meanwhile, i finally got my confirmation email about 20 hours later with a tracking number lol.

the nice thing about middleware is that you can mix and match and put everything together with a minimum of effort and get a product out real easy.

The problem is if something breaks and you (or your customers) find out something broke and now have to go through the effort of debugging it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

dunno about y'all but my home internet was extremely inconsistent until I paid for the highest tier (cox gigablast, what a name) and my internet bills are through the roof but at least people stopped complaining about streams going down.

until they fix the poo poo nature of american ISPs, I have little confidence that stuff like Stadia will be any good. And it's not even Google's fault this time

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

butt dickus posted:

gigablast is horseshit, it's their highest tier so you get 1000 down but only 35 up so good luck running cameras on that, and it has a 1.25tb transfer limit per month. at&t put fiber in my neighborhood and i switched immediately. it's half the price for symmetric gigabit with no cap and it cut my latency in half

I agree. It's worth saying that I have a discount that still runs for another year and I paid to have the data cap removed.

I switch between cox and at&t to make sure I'm always on a promotion but at&t forces you to use their own poo poo routers so I'm torn (lying naked on the floor) between using my own router that supports OSPF and RIP and a sensible DHCP configuration or using the at&t router so I have to go about segmenting my network so that I still have a sense of control in only small pockets of my home network.

at&t routers can do ipv6 out of the box tho so that's not too terrible

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

infernal machines posted:

no. i refuse to believe this is the actual name of the service

Gigablast - Gigabit Internet from Cox

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

butt dickus posted:

you can put it in bridge mode, that's what i did. when i called to cancel cox they offered me a rate of $70/mo, but i'm only paying $60/mo to at&t even with their equipment fee, and it will go up to $70 after the first year, so there's no point in switching back

I'm using cox and I have my own cable modem so I can supply my own router. It rules. I never want to have to "configure bridge mode" on any gddm consumer router as long as I live

infernal machines posted:

if it's anything like the fibre providers up here, you absolutely don't need to use their router. you need a router that can set a vlan on the wan interface and you need to know the pppoe credentials for the connection

i have 1.5GB/1GB service here, the ONT is a little SFP module that i took out of bell's router and installed in my mikrotik, and then i configured a new pppoe interface on vlan 35, and bingo bongo, i don't have to use their dire-rear end sagem hardware

I assume that your fibre providers are not at&t

nevertheless, this provides the slimmest sliver of hope. I saw no "bridge mode" on the at&t routers I got, but if they actually support your scheme, then vlans are brilliant.

flexible and simple to actually be effective without mucking with edge cases. Average customer routers won't support it, so the vast number of customers won't even try to use it. And the networking nuts are already familiar with it so they're satisfied. And you can still configure the isp supplied modem by just switching vlans.

I imagine if I call the at&t help desk about this, it would be a real exercise in frustration though.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

butt dickus posted:

you can put it in bridge mode, that's what i did. when i called to cancel cox they offered me a rate of $70/mo, but i'm only paying $60/mo to at&t even with their equipment fee, and it will go up to $70 after the first year, so there's no point in switching back

Ok, I see that you meant bridge mode on at&t routers.

I saw no such thing and got zero assistance about it when searching online and calling the help desk.

Maybe things have changed now but I really seriously doubt it because then at&t can't sell you their poo poo over-the-top vod boxes and voip, neither of which most modern customers want anyway

I get netflix and crunchyroll and that's all I need. Suck it, ISPs

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

having said that, I'm likely going to crawl back in about a year, when my cox promotion ends. My dignity and integrity is not worth that much

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

butt dickus posted:

i think i had to change one setting? it was so easy i don't even remember what i did. all i know is my diablo 3 pings went from ~80 on cox with my sb8200 to ~40 with at&t

you have to use it because it authenticates with the ont somehow. there's a workaround where you put your own router in between the two where they can still auth but the traffic goes through your router instead

At any rate, I'll check it out in about a year. Hopefully it'll be an option for me then.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Android: Home internet serviced by Cox Gigablast

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I wouldn't mind paying like $100 for google fiber for my home, at least they won't send me paper ads every week to upgrade to a tv bundle

.... instead, they'll just e-mail me continuously and just set my youtube ads

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The Management posted:

it’s a hamburger menu

:rimshot:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have a carrier thermostat and it's fuckin' ugly as poo poo and it took me awhile to learn exactly how it actually works and I tell people "dont touch the thermostat, it's on a schedule, let me override it for you"

I feel that I've invested so much time into learning it that I don't want to throw that away by getting something easier. And it stops people from messing with the thermostat.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

security through obscurity

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Clark Nova posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/12/google-breaks-sms-on-many-android-phones-is-rolling-back-changes-now/

I thought the instructions on how to check on some mysterious component that can break text messaging were funny

I just updated all my apps and checked carrier services version and it was 48. Wow, what a shitshow, I wonder what broke within that component.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have a google pixel 3a and it is very needs suiting and doesn't show ads in the core apps like phone, calendar, clock, etc. I had an iPhone 6S before (until I broke it) and the only things I miss are iMessage and my itunes library.

Google maps shows ads, youtube shows ads, but I kinda assume they show ads in the iPhone version too.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I also used to have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and wow that was a POS in terms of ads and bloatware. City ID would ask you to pay for a subscription after every phone call. Samsung and AT&T branded apps alongside the google ones... multiple video apps and music apps...

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

crepeface posted:

got this in my email today:

https://blog.fitbit.com/2021-update/

love 2 have an advertising company know my fitness level

how long do you think it'll take for fitbit to be shut down? my guess is 5 years.

I got the OG pebble watches when they were on kickstarter and I loved having to go weeks at a time without plugging it in.

Now, I had to get a fitbit because my pebble (2nd gen, actually, since the 1st gen was unusable) started getting lcd streaks and I figured that since fitbit acquired pebble then I might as well be a good consumer schmuck and switch up

now I am going to have the worst of both worlds because e-paper lcd watches are just going to f'ckin disappear and I'll have to just get an apple watch or something that will have to be charged twice a day

at least the included pulse oximeter can help detect covid19 complications

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

crepeface posted:

i forgot to charge my fitbit and it died about a month ago. ever since, the time is off by ~20 minutes and it cannot sync. the settings app has disappeared from the fitbit and the manual factory reset key shortcut isn't working.

Get a Samsung Gear and tell us how many ads show up per day when you try to read the time

or even worse, how many feedback requests you get when you try to read the time

I hate whenever I open an app and the first thing I see is a feedback request. I'm opening this stupid app to do something, what makes you think I want to send feedback right now? I open the starbucks app to pay for coffee, because the barista is waiting. I open the dunkin donuts app to pay for donuts because the cashier is waiting. I open the yelp app because I'm hungry right now. App developers need to find a better time to bother someone for feedback.

not like this is an android only problem though

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I can mostly deal with Android's weird things but the only thing that drives me up the wall is the occasional requirement to unlock with the passphrase instead of my fingerprint

I always unlock my phone at home at least once per day with a passphrase and I still get accosted with this poo poo

I'm going to try rebooting the stupid phone once per week and see if that fixes it

I'm actually tempted to go look at the source code to figure out what drives this cursed logic

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mod saas posted:

1) I had an old galaxy s5 that would do this increasingly often as it was dying, it would crash without actually rebooting to the SAMSUNG logo

2) apple devices do this too, turns out that even if you don’t power them off they’ll occasionally reboot userspace to keep everything clean

I don't mind rebooting the phone every so often if it keeps the passphrase thing away. I just want to know that rebooting is the reason for it so I can do it preemptively and not while trying to check out at the grocer.

But since Android phones can report uptime, and it's been 26 days since the last reboot, it's clear that clearing out userspace was not entirely the reason.

So hopefully this weekly reboot will do the trick, though. If I have to speculate any more on this issue then I'll probably go dig up code. If I remember correctly (albiet this may be lollipop days) that codebase is pretty bad but not impossible to follow.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I mean, I totally understand why they want people to unlock with a passphrase at least once every few days to make sure someone didn't just kill you (or knock you out or just stole your phone and your right hand) and is using your fingerprint to maintain access.

But if I do it once per day then I think that should be good enough to prove that it's still in the right hands, not some stupid random check.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Jabor posted:

it needs to happen constantly because repetition is what makes you actually remember it

the alternative is you forget it because you never use it, but you only find out that you've forgotten after a reboot and then you're totally screwed

also if it happens randomly, that makes it less obvious when you activate the "cop pulled me over and i don't want them to use my fingerprint to unlock the phone" mode

I think you forgot that I said that I activate it with passphrase at least 1x/day to see if it keeps the prompt away. If I'm entering it that often, it's unlikely that I forgot it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Last Chance posted:

for iOS it’s:

https://support.apple.com/guide/security/touch-id-face-id-passcodes-and-passwords-sec9479035f1/1/web/1

it’s fun that Android does it completely randomly and too often, thus negating the actual convenience of the feature itself lol. that’s a new one to me. haven’t used android since 2011 or so, before biometrics were a big thing.

thanks for pointing this out

EDIT: The funny thing is that if I unlock my phone more than once every four hours then I start to believe that I'm getting addicted to my device.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

gmail was "beta" for the longest time

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

to be honest, the call screen feature in my pixel 3a (hand in hand with the scuffed but still usable live transcription) has saved me an incredible amount of time and frustration on spam calls

Maybe I'll keep this phone for another year instead of getting an iphone se. I really hope they get the car warranty and home energy spammers to close up shop by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Lysidas posted:

webmail is and has always been unusable garbage

just use thunderbird ffs

imap doesn't support 2 factor authentication