Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

Ice Cream Sandwich
thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's 2017 and android still doesn't have a way to backup and restore a phone.

LastInLine posted:

Well the phone will redownload all your apps on setup. You can then restore Nova from a backup which can be made from within the app. SMS transferred on my Pixel but that might be Pixel-specific. I'd make a backup using SMS Backup & Restore. Note that the last time I used that app, it wasn't owned by Carbonite, it may be poo poo now, I don't know.

Apps backing up their settings should use Google's backup solution but not many do. As such, complex ones generally have a backup function within them so I'm sorry but you'll have to go through them to see which ones do. Lastly Helium can be fickle but it will work on those games without Play Games backup (or anything else, though almost everything I needed it for were games).

Sorry, that's the best you can do.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it still amazes me that samsung (only android that matters) turns off google contact syncing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

:laffo:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

:stare:

whatever7 posted:

My rotation of daily drivers

All of them are activated on freedompop's freemium plan, link to the same google voice account. Each phone gets 1-1.3GB of free data per month. That last me for about 5-7 days. 3 phone should be enough for the whole month but I throw in a cheap ZTE just in case. The tiny Samsung Rush is activated on Ting's 100m voice only plan since Ting is giving out free $35 credit to ring+ users. I added it because I was worry I couldn't receive call on Freedompop's VOIP signal. So far I have found I have no problem receiving calls on FP, the voice quality is not bad either. I *think* FP fall back on regular CDMA signal when data connection is bad I am not sure. Nobody uses voice in 2017 anyway.

The only other annoyance is If I call back from a FP phone, I can't not make it route through the Google voice dialer and display my GV number. The work around is go to voice.google.com on your brower and make call that way, google will call you first and then patch the call to the caller. Add the browser address shortcut on desktop and it works fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i think he is showing how he gets free phone service. this is better than paying $30 for the t-mo nerd plan because

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"it's annoying to do something that takes 2 seconds ugh"

Incessant Excess posted:

Is it possible to have one phone automatically tether to another when it's close enough? I'm using a smartphone mount in my car but it's annoying to always have to take my phone out of my pocket and put it in the mount when I get in my car. I'm wondering if it would be possible to get a second phone, always keep that in the car mount and have it tether to my main phone automatically when I get in my car, so that it would have a data connection for spotify streaming.

Is what I'm thinking about easily feasible or should I just suck it up and keep using one phone for this?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

to the credit of dyp, they all pretty much called him an idiot and that he'd end up with a smashed car window if he did this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"i'm a child who can't not look at a shiny thing for 8 hours"

Pruney posted:

One of the main reasons I would want it rooted is that I can't touch my phone while in work as I got a slapped wrist a while back but if I could remote onto it, that would save me the trouble.

Can I remote onto the phone without rooting?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nerdrock posted:

after a few days with the Zenwatch 3, and being very unimpressed with it software-wise, I've decided to throw the one custom rom on there that XDA has, since the latest rumor leaks are that we shouldn't expect AW2.0 until "early 2nd quarter". Well : so far the watch is much smoother. before, it was janky as hell.. super choppy, and a lot of delays when doing simple things. After getting said rom installed, it now performs much better... about as good as my urbane. I was truly spoiled by how silky smooth the otherwise terrible LG Style was.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah you bought a bad phone duh

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/03/15/google-sending-android-7-0-ota-update-nexus-6-phones-running-7-1-1/

Apparently, Google is pushing the 7.0 OTA to Nexus 6s running 7.1.1. At first it started just with T-Mobile customers but moved to Fi as well. This is causing the whole to just absolutely poo poo not only the bed but the floor and probably the carpet too. The only fix is seems to be a reinstall of 7.1.1 and wiping of personal data in the process.

Android Police has decided that using Lineage OS is better than the default Android on the 6 at this point thanks to problems like 7.0 taking forever to get to the 6, when it DID hit it broke the speakerphone, and the March update to 7.1.1 broke Android Pay and breaks SafetyNet (Google re-released the March security OTA and disabled SafetyNet just so Android Pay would work).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm sure this won't be abused at all

MikeJF posted:

Android O allows devs to apply custom background colors to notifications but Google is asking that it only be used for critical events that really need to jump out to the user. :allears:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nimper posted:

We're sorry, to enable backup services you will need to factory reset your device. Yes, we are aware of the irony.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

once i accidently made a librarian cry with a batch file

i read this as libertarian and was happy, but then i reread it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

actually it's either garbage or it's garbage that's way more expensive than an ipad

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

:laffo:

ThermoPhysical posted:

We figured out what was going on.

The ZTE Grand Max 2 apparently allows ads and spam in the default keyboard that ZTE put on. On top of that FAB that popped up when he was in Gmail, YouTube, and using Chrome, it also pushed ads to his notification bar.

There's no way to uninstall the keyboard, but you can disable it and put on Gboard, which is what he did.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

comically they were selling them for like $350 for like a year if you told them you were a developer

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

are wikipedians still arguing about waht to call the 2017 ipad

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

2017 and android still can't scroll smoothly lmao

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

quote:

The Galaxy S8 also likes to automatically stick apps into a letterboxed mode that slaps black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Extra tall aspect ratios are quickly becoming the norm this year, but Samsung apparently didn't feel comfortable letting every app run wild on the 18.5:9 display. The letterbox mode is almost 16:9—it's 16.7333:9.
android has been able to automatically size apps for whatever screen size since forever. not good enough for ol samsung, i guess!

quote:

While the on-screen benchmark performance at full resolution is similar to flagship devices from last year, Samsung apparently feels its GPU isn't powerful enough to do 3D games at the full 2960×1440 resolution. It has a resolution-reducing "Game mode" that promises users it will "enhance your gaming experience by making games run more smoothly."
finally! the pc gaming experience shrunk onto your phone!

quote:

The gimmicks. The iris scanner, curved screen, and heart rate sensor all seem designed to give talking points to your local Verizon salesperson, rather than provide a good user experience for customers.
duh

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

some guy in dyp is defending his s8 by pointing out the fab process and the number of nits the screen produces

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

lol how did that not come up at a planning meeting?

about that

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

considering every samsung eventually switches to kooky chocko for fonts, i assume screen color changing will eventually turn to whatever the color version of that is. hot dog stand, i guess

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

syscall girl posted:

m$ has really gone to poo poo

lol @ anyone who paid for win10

??????? windows is free software, just like android

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

The iPhone is super boring to use as a casual user. And my biggest worry is that this year's update will be another silly incremental change without much actual UI change. I mean, it took them something like 4 years just to implement the swipe up/down control panel things and the swipe left info panel thing. Plus, with the AT&T plan letting you switch phones every year.. why not?

My only worry is after skimming about 20 prior pages of this thread is this idea of getting "Samsunged". If that's not the biggest actual concern than drat do I love that s8's looks and feel.
my telephone isn't exciting to use. i wish i had a constant fear of it exploding or sending all my data to an unknown server since i unknowingly downloaded a malware app

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i assume people who want their phones to be "exciting" are the same people fidget cubes and spinners appeal to

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mishaq posted:

source youre quotes

it's the guy wants his phone to be exciting

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fartzone_42069 posted:

Has the quality of their products definitely gone down lately? Iirc they were the go-to for top quality TVs a few years ago. And my Galaxy S3 was probably the best, most intuitive, and functional phone I've ever had. Next to my old Blackberry Curve. That thing was a beast.

And I gotta give Samsung respect for making an IED phone. Pretty good prank if I ever saw one.

At least I don't have an HTC...Ooof. But this S7 ain't too bad. Probably just a disappointing as any new device is these days. Samsung definitely seems like a "The mighty has fallen" situation, though.
i'm getting poe'd here

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol using a samsung on sprint

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last Chance posted:

do android buttons ever change appearance based on context? like if the back button was about to close the keyboard, could it show that visually smoehow?

did you not read the post before yours?

at least google did away with the menu button. what a stupid idea that was

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

syscall girl posted:

I hate blindly hating chinese software but somehow that just creeps up on me, must be getting old. There's a firewall program that adblocks by country or app and it recommends full blocking Iran, North Korea ya know the "axis of evil" and so on and so forth and will tell you in no uncertain terms which of your apps are phoning home and to what country and my favorite file manager (which you can get to tell on itself for the lols) is one of these that will not stop communicating with a chinese server. It's probably not too dastardly or nefarious and I let the thing have my dropbox creds because well, it's actually the best at what it does and it's not a critical thing but it still worries me some.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's actually a phone, an ipod, and a revolutionary internet communications device.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tadashi posted:

Christ, Samsung keeps getting worse. After the most recent update, they changed the low power notification to a pop-up that covers 3/4 of the screen and, about 1 out of 4 times, the "dismiss" button is missing for me so the only way to get rid of it is to remove the battery because the pop-up covers the power-off options when you hold the power button down.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

why doesnt the android picture have the equivalent google emoji?

that's not the apple emoji

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Actually, have you heard it? It's actually pretty decent and blows away any internal speakers.

I love using it with the phone around the house because I have a nice little self-contained TV.

bull3964 posted:

No music, watching stuff. If I'm going laundry or cooking or something, just easier to grab it.
it's really depressing knowing this guy can't do anything without having a screen in his face blaring animes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

he's a bellweather for dying technologies:
hd-dvd owner
plasma owner
windows phone owner
surface owner
now complaining about how 3d tvs are going away

he's an ok guy he just has a habit for picking exactly the wrong technology

nah everything i see from him is beating off to whatever spec sheet he most recently saw to defend whatever his purchase is.

he's already talking about buying one of those new phones by andy rubin's company because THE SPECS

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

carry on then posted:

i was reading the hd tv thread while doing some research and i swear he must have bought something like 3 high end tvs in the past year

his money, i guess

nah he just bought the one lucky Goldstar but obsessively researches the specs on others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Incessant Excess posted:

First confirmed image of the OnePlus 5 has been released:

I'm looking forward to reading r/android when they announce the price for this thing.
not from this distance your honor