Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

"it's annoying to do something that takes 2 seconds ugh"

what is wrong with people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

to the credit of dyp, they all pretty much called him an idiot and that he'd end up with a smashed car window if he did this.

not even a stolen phone. just a smashed window and an open note app on the phone reading "what the hell is wrong with you"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

maybe it's a cultural thing but the thought of using my phone's mail app to apply for a job sets me on edge

maybe it's the thought of doing anything professional on a phone, yikes.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

THC posted:

for some people it's their only computer

this is true. i should be more mindful.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

infernal machines posted:

oh and had fun with the teachers because our laserjet printers had irda that wasn't disabled, so i could trigger printing poo poo in the middle of class and there was no account id on the banner

once i accidently made a librarian cry with a batch file

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

why the gently caress is the phone resolution even a configurable thing

gently caress

yes, I know that it's so they can advertise the screen specs while throttling poo poo down for actual use.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

jfc that iris scanner

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

burnit all down

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

this is why I don't trust self-dri—

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

well, broadly, what happened is what happens with most of the stuff of this nature presently; in a black box way they end up overfitting heavily, and given poor inputs they will pick some a-priori most likely answer. it is, btw, what will in an eventual future kill you, as you in an ill judged moment take a Designatd home from a bar and it thinks it sees a turn in the road in some tree branches in the wind. p. sad.

—gently caress

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

samsung is planning on an update that lets users manually compensate for hosed-up red-tinted displays with "a further enhanced ability to adjust the color setting to their preference."

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

fear, probably.

would you want to be the peon that tells a C-level how the flagship device meant to rescue them after the prior debacle has a glaringly visible hardware flaw that will result in reduced yields and, thus, sales

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Given that individual displays can vary, as can personal preference, I think being able to manually calibrate the display is a good thing. I've never heard anyone complain about the existence of such settings on Windows PCs, including $3,000 mobile workstations.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i honestly don't know what that dude means by "boring to use as a casual user"

a stable device with consistent performance that behaves in predictable ways? boring.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

what happens if you press the dedicated back button in an application and there isn't a previously viewed content panel?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Blue Train posted:

Home screen

so the back button occasionally changes function into an exit button? is there any way to tell when that happens other than memorizing the sequence of content panels that you've viewed in every active app?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

LastInLine posted:

blue train you can keep trying but i really dont think theyll ever grasp that back takes you to literally the thing that was there prior to the thing on there now

except for when you're at the bottom of the stack and it takes you out of the application

or when you're in a menu on the home screen (?) and want to close the menu

other than those two functions which aren't "back", back does exactly what it says!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

what other exciting things will the back button do other than going back? stay tuned!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Blue Train posted:

The back button always takes you back…

Blue Train posted:

If they keyboard pops up in a text box, back collapses it, leaving the cursor in the text box.

⋮

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Blue Train posted:

It bring you from the keyboard element back to the box element

why does it leave focus in the entry box without the keyboard present?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

so what you're describing is:

- tap an entry box to provide focus and call up the keyboard.
- tap back to dismiss the keyboard, but maintain focus to perform other operations.

in which case the button is explicitly not going back because it's introducing a new state. or is the justification that it's only going sort of back?

unless in android you have to tap an input field and then tap again to call up the keyboard, but then why would you need to use back to dismiss the keyboard without going back to—

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

tapping input fields for keyboard is app-specific

huh.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

somebody ought to petition to add :stare: to the standard emoji set

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

how the gently caress does that get out of testing

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

"The millennials like hashtags, right?"

"But sir, that's not how hashtags w—"

"I do not care."

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

The Management posted:

when the phone is really hot it can't use the fast cores because they generate too much heat. apparently the bug doesn't happen when only running on the slow cores

this is simultaneously stupider and smarter than trying to reflow solder

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

the pixels are coarse but the chinese boy's neck was not slashed and fully bled before he completed the assembly

:capitalism:

e: lol, that's an actual smilie

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

wow it's almost as if a hallmark of lovely products is wild inconsistency

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

lol, so that oreo problem where it eats your data even in wifi turned out to be that they left a dev option turned on in the production package. the recommended fix is to enable the dev options menu and then disable dev options.

theyre never gonna patch that poo poo so queue a million normies breaking their phones loving around with the dev options.

they spent more time focus-grouping that garbage weird cookie-superhero-eclipse mascot thingy than actually testing their goddamn software

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

i can't use ear buds because they give me ear infections so i invest in nicer over ear headphones instead and the difference between Bluetooth and wired there is noticeable.

plz recommend

i have a nice pair of grados i use a thome but because they're open headphones i don't take them out of the house

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i stopped having issues with my earbuds when i started keeping them in a coin puch, the kind with a n opening held shut by the same metal as those wrist-slap bracelet thingies

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

all pictures to scale

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

android... more like... hemrroid

eh, idk. at least hemorrhoids are treatable

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

once i got a free copy of halo 3 and it was really bad, i basically didn't have to aim and also it was just "setpiece! setpiece! setpiece! now spend forty hours reading supplemental copy elsewhere! yeah, we have a universe! ooh-rad!"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the best phone is the iphone SE

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

technically, hemingway was the hemingway of wrong.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i've been trying to find a decent purse or bag to carry all of my poo poo around

tired of having to shove things into my pants like an animal that wears pants

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

lol, in oreo you still can't create new labels in the Gmail app. loving christ Google

i use the ios mail app for my gmail and the other day google sent me an email asking me to please use the gmail app instead of the ios mail app

whoever okayed that particular bit of consumer outreach should be fired

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

imagine how bad at understanding people one would have to be to approve of that particular marketing plan

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i bought one of these recently

the best phone