Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Finally, someone has the courage to make a good smartphone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Well they presented two possibilities, so it's basically 50/50

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Lutha Mahtin posted:

there is still a significant market for dumbphones. remember when your nokia/samsung flip phone had a battery that would last weeks? :allears:

i have good news for you https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/nokia-8110-4g

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

qirex posted:

:iiam:

Nokia 8 Sirocco
Nokia 8
Nokia 7 Plus
Nokia 6.1 Plus
Nokia 6.1
Nokia 6
Nokia 5.1 Plus
Nokia 5.1
Nokia 5
Nokia 3.1
Nokia 3
Nokia 2.1
Nokia 2
Nokia 1

and people are making fun of apple's naming rn

10 years ago nokia was releasing 1 new phone per week. and they all had different features and no phone had a superset of all of them. want a camera, fm radio and flashlight? gently caress you! you can have any 2 but not all three!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Well, related phone families of like 3-4 phones, but confirmed.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
cacapoopoo

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
there's this exercise path near where i live and google maps keeps routing me through it when i ask for cycling directions. cycling is forbidden on the path and i have reported the issue several times. latest report got a notification that my change request has been approved. maps still routes bicycles though the path.

like the path has this sign on it "Road closed to all vehicles in both directions"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Stymie posted:

i think it's time to merge this thread with the apple thread since they are indistinguishable, both in function and in their defense by obsessive supporters

Second

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i wouldn't mind a "smarter" watch, if there is some killer feature on it. but it would have to be a decent watch first and also it has to last for at least several weeks between charges when using the "smart" features.

also i don't really know what things i would want the watch to do in addition to displaying the time.

vibration alerts for some events? step counting? heart rate monitoring? showing me notifications i already ignore on my phone?

sleep tracking/smart wake up? sure, if that poo poo actually works. it probably doesn't and i don't really have any difficutly getting up in the morning.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i think so! i was thinking it was HTC but wasn't sure

e:

hahaha, the phone they originally bundled it with is the same size as all the current "small" iphones

that big phone is probably smaller than current phones

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

notches for the notch god, rounded corners for the rounded corner throne!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
my favorite thing is when i pay for a mobile app, it removes all the ads and such until a couple of years later the app developer realizes that the revenue is drying up and then starts putting fullscreen ads of their other apps in the app you paid for.

also "please rate this app in the store"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Oneplus 5 got scheduled "do not disturb" with the android pie update. Before that i had to use a physical slider. And if i remembered to turn on dnd in the evening, i definitely didn't remember to turn it off in the morning, so i missed all my calls and messages.

Anroid lol

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

LastInLine posted:

ever since dnd came to android in 2014 its had scheduling and when you turned it on it would prompt you right then and there to say when you wanted it to turn off or it would do so with the next alarm

i mean oneplus makes trash so no surprises but android has done this correctly for half a decade

i know, my previous phone had the scheduled thing, oneplus 5 only had the physical switch, without even the option of a schedule until the latest update. the support forums were full of people complaining about it when i made a "seriously?" google search

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

also gently caress rounded corners on displays, they're almost as bad as having a notch

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i don't get why the preset android notification options are 15 minutes before, 12 hours before, 2 days before and 4 days before

like 15 minutes is often too late if i need to go somewhere and 12 hours is wayy too loving early

i guess those 2 last options are for birthday-present-buyers and writing-assignment-doers

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Last Chance posted:

seriously, since google knows all the traffic stuff i'm honestly surprised at this

you should leave now. oh you don't own a car? well i guess you should have left 10 minutes ago :shrug:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
So Google is making a pstv?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Boiled Water posted:

"walk into the light"

that's a fast death announcement even by google's standards

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Pretty much all the comments on stadia reveal that i read were "can't wait for google to kill this"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
pixel 3a brings back the headphone jack, the cowards

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
https://www.wsj.com/articles/justice-department-is-preparing-antitrust-investigation-of-google-11559348795
Justice Department Is Preparing Antitrust Investigation of Google

:yeshaha:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
can i post "lol stadia" itt?

because lol stadia

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
they revealed stadia's release date on the same day that they cancelled daydream vr, which survived for 3 years

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Endless Mike posted:

all that bezel and they still couldn't avoid putting a punch for the camera

i cdan't tell if you're joking but it looks identical to the current ipad pro except for the hole camera hole

it's a roundrect, just like every phone and tablet has been for a decade

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

sonds like it's time to start digging a hole for the pixel brand on the ol' google graveyard

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
it just feels like it's run out of steam. all the unique features are halfassed and all the specs where you can go bigger number = better than, aren't.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
What's the status of google fit? I have this hunch that it's dying because it just feels so unpolished

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

infernal machines posted:

1st question: what the hell is a google fit?

it's definitely dying though, because it has gone past the point of "being created" and those are the only two things it is possible for a google project to be

It's an exercise tracker that uses The Algorithm to guess when you've been walking or cycling or whatever. You can also explicitly track for example weight lifting (by time), but when you inevitably forget to stop the tracker when you stop working out, you cannot edit it afterwards and change your epic 6-hour gym session to a more realistic 1.5-hour one.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
also it makes exercise fun and gamified like if you reach your daily exercise goal it praises you and shows a neat animation. also every few weeks it tries to get you to increase your daily goals and then a couple of weeks later when that magically didn't make you move more it suggests that maybe you should lower your goals to be more attainable.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

The Management posted:

since this is the de facto google thread,

google released another messaging platform a couple of days ago. this time in the photos app

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
The best part about those scrambling keypads that i've used was that when you press the scramble button it makes a bleepy bloopy sound the whole time you're holding the button down

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
stadia is also getting west of loathing, a game that looks like this

and has an install size of 237 MB on the switch

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Schadenboner posted:

an goode phone (one running iOS)

okay let's not go too far

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Vomik posted:

I want to lol @ stadia. is there a funny part of that video? I watched 3 painful minutes waiting for a pay off.

serious sam is a timed exclusive on stadia instead of a console people actally own.

devolver digital better hope that the game is really well recieved and people still want to buy it after the exclusivity period, because otherwise they're not getting those launch sales back.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

granted the last good serious sam game was serious sam 1, but otoh all the material so far released looks like a return to that style.

bfe had too many bad-dumb enemies.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/robinberjon/status/1266080350389837829

AMP heading to the google graveyard and good riddance

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

good

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

quick refreshes are quick of course, but comes with more artifact-buildup which kind of ruin the upsides of eink. so just as well to save your money.

is quick refresh the thing where kindle changes the page without flashing black?

because i haven't seen any buildup from doing those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i'm pretty sure someone in yospos was posting about coding an ui for a tizen based smart tv or something and it was bad