Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

carry on then posted:

*100 sonic booms of every iyg android thread regular buying the phones in one tab and putting up the ebay listing in the other*

it turns out you can only bogo once, which is too bad because otherwise i'd be selling like 50 of these on amazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

LastInLine posted:

for real tho i cant imagine what it must be like to hate apple so much that you wont ever consider one but being so "into tech" that you buy samsung phones and windows laptops and think "aww yeah this is great"

like come the gently caress on this poo poo works terribly how is this not obvious?

they think their life would be better if only their phone was better

also, buying a samsung shows that they're smarter than other people because they're buying the other $1,000 smart phone so they can send texts, browse twitter, and take an average of three photos a day, two of which were accidents trying to adjust the focus

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

graph posted:

what the gently caress is with dweebs and insisting on continuing to use this term

it sounds better than saying

"i'm still using the old phone that isn't very good that I spent $700 on, money i could honestly really use right now, but because of my impulsive spending on electronic toys i don't actually need, i can't really afford to upgrade to the new device, which i would like to do"

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

indigi posted:

is Huawei any good. it has a cool looking name, but, I've never seen anyone talk about their products ever, and, have never heard the word spoken out loud. I could see it being either hoo-a-why (or way) or wah-why (or way)

huawei phones have very good build quality. emui is mediocre, but so is stock android and who cares. their native apps range from functional but ugly to sloppy, just like every other android device. good camera quality

the yellow scare is based on "well, what if they were spying?!" and the amazon blu phones that were spying on people, which were all devices that had been diverted to an ad company that flashed custom firmware to read texts and contacts, presumably for advertising but possibly at the direction of mss for some nefarious purpose

like, there's no evidence suggesting huawei participated in the blu phone scheme, and even if they had it would be par for the course in android land.

their real sin is making last year's iphones and galaxies for $250-500 this year

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

The Management posted:

they were doing it, but there’s no evidence they did it on behalf of the Chinese government. I’m sure they wouldn’t sell that data to just anyone with money and authoritarian power over them.

- a person defending a company blocked by the NSA from providing equipment for critical communication infrastructure in the US

no one should buy any android device if they are concerned with privacy or security

but pretending huawei is somehow worse than sarnsung is laughable. the big concern is, what if huawei's device encryption eventually actually works? we have direct sweetheart deals with the koreans to compel sarnsung's cooperation, and if apple talks a good privacy game, they are still an american company and can be compelled by secret order to cooperate

but when jim from the office and detective moreland breathlessly shout about a ticking clock terror plot the guy on the other end of the phone from huawei will say "嗯...太可惜了" before the camera whip pans to reveal the huawei customer support office is actually in a dingy warehouse filled with chinese terrorists packing machineguns into wood crates stamped with "B A B Y T O Y B E S T N U M B E R O N E S H I P T O U.S.A."

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

can you actually make money ubering? i mean with gas and maintenance is it a net positive?

if you're in one of the like four good markets you can work more or less as many hours as you want and make ~$25/hr before tax. everywhere else it's $7-12, and most markets are 3-5 hours a day

the smart thing to do if you want to do uber is wait for one of their big new driver promotions where they pay you a $100 bonus for your first drive and then stop once you get the bonus payment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

The Management posted:

there is no money being made driving Uber. nobody is correctly assessing the wear and depreciation of their vehicle. on average an Uber driver drives 1 mile empty for ever mile with passenger. that’s doubling the costs for every passenger mile and cutting the pay in half.

uh, it's my dumb stepdad's prius, and mom pays for the gas, so that's $30 right in my pocket, do you know any other 32 year old men pulling that kind of money every day?