Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

They were probably banking on her to move a lot of product but somehow didn't figure that there isn't a lot of crossover in Nascar fans and People who eat fig bars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvi9zpHlrvg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Too bad this car probably won't make the race because it sure is rad.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Peanut President posted:

Good news - they're leasing the #83 charter, so it's running all year.
http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20170203c

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lol

Well, now we know what they did wrong.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Peanut President posted:

That looks like one of the fictional cars from the mid-2000s era NASCAR Thunder games.

I guess what I'm saying is I wish it were 2004. :(

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CBJSprague24 posted:

That looks like one of the fictional cars from the mid-2000s era NASCAR Thunder games.

And just like the old NASCAR games, Carl Edwards isn't going to be in it this year either.

Wait... too soon?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's just missing the third digit. Oh, and HEY! YOU! GET INTO MY CAR!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Nature's Bakery bet the farm sponsoring Danica. It's not surprising that it didn't work out, considering NASCAR core audience.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

algebra testes posted:

And just like the old NASCAR games, Carl Edwards isn't going to be in it this year either.

Wait... too soon?

:thurman:

Carl Edwards was in Chase for the Cup 2005 in a Truck. "He" right-reared me out of the lead at Homestead one time because I'd done something to make him somewhat mad and he was a rival or whatever.

I got back to the lead and brake-checked him, which made the thing as red as possible.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

daslog posted:

Nature's Bakery bet the farm sponsoring Danica. It's not surprising that it didn't work out, considering NASCAR core audience.

Pitching 400 calorie fig newton four packs as healthy probably not the most vetted idea. drat they were good though.

Edit: Are we getting SRA shirts or not? I got $30 burning a hole in my pocket and I need Saturday shirts to wear to work that people will ask who the hell is SRA?

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 5, 2017

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Pitching 400 calorie fig newton four packs as healthy probably not the most vetted idea. drat they were good though.

Edit: Are we getting SRA shirts or not? I got $30 burning a hole in my pocket and I need Saturday shirts to wear to work that people will ask who the hell is SRA?

Wait, SRA shirts are a thing?

Edit: Maybe the fig bars were good, but the brownies were disgusting.

Elitist Bitch fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 5, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Harveygod posted:

It's just missing the third digit. Oh, and HEY! YOU! GET INTO MY CAR!

Oh gosh those Goon streams were the best.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

algebra testes posted:

Oh gosh those Goon streams were the best.

Is CFS/Cubey still doing those? I want to know the team led by American car owner Al Qaeda is doing.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i am in college again and don't have the time or energy for streaming poo poo.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Does Daytona Day actually exist?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
If you're actually down at the track, sure. For prerace at home, no one cares

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/02/05/new-england-super-bowl-win-bad-sign-for-hendrick-motorsports/

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

he got paid to write this

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

quote:

Coincidence or not?
alex jones, nascar writer

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Did anybody start the Fantasy league or should I do it?

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Did anybody start the Fantasy league or should I do it?

Dooooo iiiit. I already made a team.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
I've been meaning to post this but kept forgetting. Didn't we have better thread title ideas than this one? Or could we make a better one?

-NASCAR 2017: 50% less horse racing
-NASCAR 2017: No joker laps, just joker executives
-NASCAR 2017: Alternative points

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
- NASCAR 2017: What the gently caress?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHv7nxuY_Rw&feature=youtu.be&a

BUY THIS MAN AN ACCOUNT.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Daytona Day is a perfectly inoffensive marketing campaign and if you hate it that much you're just looking for reasons to be angry. If you want to get mad at NASCAR there's plenty of other bullshit you can focus on

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

Daytona Day is a perfectly inoffensive marketing campaign and if you hate it that much you're just looking for reasons to be angry. If you want to get mad at NASCAR there's plenty of other bullshit you can focus on

Counterpoint: It's fun to make fun of, and is some bizarre representation of how NASCAR is out of touch.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

NASCAR 2017: Daytona Day Of the Living Dead

E: NASCAR 2017: Boogity-Boogity-Boogity Land or NASCAR 2017: 3 Fingers for Dale, 14 Bastards for Smoke

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 7, 2017

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

Counterpoint: It's fun to make fun of, and is some bizarre representation of how NASCAR is out of touch.

How is "get excited for the biggest race of the year, here are some cool race cars. maybe have some friends over too" out of touch? Like what the gently caress is the alternative?

Like I don't disagree that NASCAR is on the whole completely off the mark with what their audience wants, that's not even a debate. But the fixation on the commercial is stupid.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So here's my question. IMSA and NASCAR are essentially two sides of the same org. How the gently caress is NASCAR so backwards and IMSA is all "Hey, the DPs are out of date, how do we refresh them and make them attractive to makers?" and pull it off in the best way possible?

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
There was already a good title from the previous threat:

NASCAR 2017: Turning Left is Alt-Right

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

How is "get excited for the biggest race of the year, here are some cool race cars. maybe have some friends over too" out of touch? Like what the gently caress is the alternative?

Like I don't disagree that NASCAR is on the whole completely off the mark with what their audience wants, that's not even a debate. But the fixation on the commercial is stupid.

I always thought "SPEEDWEEKS" was a better way of pitching that to fans, but that's just me.

I think to me it's just the fans kinda being able to channel their annoyances towards what NASCAR has become via that commercial.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

I always thought "SPEEDWEEKS" was a better way of pitching that to fans, but that's just me.

I think to me it's just the fans kinda being able to channel their annoyances towards what NASCAR has become via that commercial.

Speedweeks I think is more geared at the hardcore fans, where as daytona day is supposed to draw in the more casual viewers.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

So here's my question. IMSA and NASCAR are essentially two sides of the same org. How the gently caress is NASCAR so backwards and IMSA is all "Hey, the DPs are out of date, how do we refresh them and make them attractive to makers?" and pull it off in the best way possible?

Its really easy to make moves when you are not in the spotlight, basically. When you don't have to worry about pissing off a bunch of competing interests you can do the right thing.

The extreme example is F1, obviously.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

Speedweeks I think is more geared at the hardcore fans, where as daytona day is supposed to draw in the more casual viewers.

I mean yeah, but I think it works in that regard.

I remember growing up and my dad watching Daytona practice/duels/shootout...whatever with the same amount of enthusiasm as he did with watching daily updates during May.

Now he finds Cup boring, sadly. :smith:.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

Because they still have not realized they aren't going to recapture the casual viewers they had 10-15 years ago, and that's who this entire campaign is aimed at.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

kidcoelacanth posted:

We see that, but I don't think anyone else does. Casuals would see it as "look, here's some people celebrating and people you don't know, starring James Van Der Beek." They probably thought it was a movie trailer or a Smithfield commercial.

Confusing people isn't a great way to generate buzz.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

LASTCAR posted:

We see that, but I don't think anyone else does. Casuals would see it as "look, here's some people celebrating and people you don't know, starring James Van Der Beek." They probably thought it was a movie trailer or a Smithfield commercial.

Confusing people isn't a great way to generate buzz.

There were loving race cars everywhere in what reality is that confusing

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

kidcoelacanth posted:

There were loving race cars everywhere in what reality is that confusing

The reality where they made a Smithfield commercial with a "Daytona Day: The Movie" sketch.

Don't get so upset about our criticisms when NASCAR's the one going out of their way to do just about everything wrong.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Mehhhh. I'm adding my voice to the "Daytona Day isn't a bad campaign" opinion. The commercial during the Super Bowl even seemed fine. Drivers saying how they used to watch it was normal and non-bullshitty. "Hey, there's a car race and car races are fun have people over your house and watch it" is simple and fuuuuuck NASCAR could use some goddamn simple right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
I am irrationally mad about a commercial and here is an itemized list of everything I am offended by

• Locked thread