Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

NASCAR should add joker laps around the carousel at Sears Point and the boot at Watkins Glen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I don't usually follow NASCAR but why were heats not considered? Or just red flags between stages?

The xfinity series tried heats a few times last year and they all were boring cause no one wants to ruin their race car by gaining a few positions for the main race.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Fauxhawk Express posted:

NASCAR should run laps around the carousel at Sears Point and the boot at Watkins Glen

Fixed that

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

NASCAR should run me over with one of the cars next race I'm at. They can pick who drives

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Stages are fine. I still don't understand the Overtime Line, though. We had one of those before- it was the start/finish line at the white flag on a GWC.

dentist toy box posted:

The xfinity series tried heats a few times last year and they all were boring cause no one wants to ruin their race car by gaining a few positions for the main race.

They were also pointless because cars who failed to qualify were determined before the Heats. Backmarkers would start and park the heats because they knew they were in.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, in honor of going full NASCAR, here's what I'd do with stages.

1. The "Big Four" (Daytona 500, Spring 'Dega, Coke 600, and Fall Darlington) and road courses are all stageless.
2. Stage 1 and 2: each one quarter of the race distance. Stage 3 is the remaining half.
3. Caution flags between stages do not count towards race distance. Depending on track length, 5-10 laps of caution before the race resumes.
4. Stages 1 and 2 award points to the top 10 finishers in a 20-18-16-14-12-10-8-6-4-2 sequence.
5. Stage 3 is 40-39-...-5 (place 36 and lower all get 5 points to help smooth out people just sucking and someone having terrible luck and an engine blowing up in the first laps).
(and now, to go full NASCAR)
6. Stage 2 is reverse finishing order from Stage 1. A mandatory pitstop after will allow the grid to be properly set. Stage 3 uses the Stage 2 finishing order proper.
7. All cars reset to the lead lap after each stage.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

iospace posted:

So, in honor of going full NASCAR, here's what I'd do with stages.

1. The "Big Four" (Daytona 500, Spring 'Dega, Coke 600, and Fall Darlington) and road courses are all stageless.
2. Stage 1 and 2: each one quarter of the race distance. Stage 3 is the remaining half.
3. Caution flags between stages do not count towards race distance. Depending on track length, 5-10 laps of caution before the race resumes.
4. Stages 1 and 2 award points to the top 10 finishers in a 20-18-16-14-12-10-8-6-4-2 sequence.
5. Stage 3 is 40-39-...-5 (place 36 and lower all get 5 points to help smooth out people just sucking and someone having terrible luck and an engine blowing up in the first laps).
(and now, to go full NASCAR)
6. Stage 2 is reverse finishing order from Stage 1. A mandatory pitstop after will allow the grid to be properly set.
7. All cars reset to the lead lap after each stage.

Where do we work in the me getting run over part

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

VikingSkull posted:

adam petty was terrible

Incorrect. I know the comparison is bad, but Adam was better than his Dad. I believe he would have won more than eight races in cup during his career.

Hell, even Kyle said "Adam was always the son Dad wanted" when discussing their driving abilities.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He sucked

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

There's never been a Petty that wasn't a fraud.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
hey stages are dumb

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

kidcoelacanth posted:

This would be NASCAR giving you something that you wanted, and that ain't happening, friend.

You're going to have to buy a franchise which entitles you to benefits such as racecar vehicular homicide. You can let somebody borrow it, but only once.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

kidcoelacanth posted:

SRA runs you over as you put on his hat.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Smoke retired

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

kidcoelacanth posted:

Adam Petty chat was the last page, sorry.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Wrong.

dentist toy box posted:

There's never been a Petty that wasn't a fraud.

You're also wrong.

How was Lee Petty a fraud?

The greatest drivers back in the day - Pearson, Yarborough, Allison, Waltrip, etc. - all said Richard Petty was the best they raced against. And yes, Richard acknowledged he had the best equipment back then, but his talent is ubdenied.

Adam was just starting out, but showed a lot of promise. Put him in a non-Petty funded car and he probably would have shined.

You pinheads thinking he sucked or the family was a fraud just shows ignorance.

Ahhh, what the gently caress do I know. :shrug:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Wrong.

You're also wrong.

How was Lee Petty a fraud?

The greatest drivers back in the day - Pearson, Yarborough, Allison, Waltrip, etc. - all said Richard Petty was the best they raced against. And yes, Richard acknowledged he had the best equipment back then, but his talent is ubdenied.

Adam was just starting out, but showed a lot of promise. Put him in a non-Petty funded car and he probably would have shined.

You pinheads thinking he sucked or the family was a fraud just shows ignorance.

Ahhh, what the gently caress do I know. :shrug:

Or you could just be falling for the obvious troll bait, either or.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Smokey Yunick says Lee was a fraud and I believe him

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Didn't Richard just stomp a not super competitive field in the best equipment?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Norns posted:

He did, though it has to be said some of his later competitive years were against people like Cale and a young DW.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've said this before but I'll take Team 3-time Champion (Cale, DW, Smoke) over Team 7-Time Champion (Richard, Dale, Jimmie) any day/.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Wonder if Jimmie would be as far if he didn't have Knaus?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Norns posted:

His 200 wins is definitely a fraudulent number of cup wins. By similar measurements, Kyle Busch should be called #2 in terms of wins with his 173.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Jimmie is a hell of a wheelman but just being a wheelman doesn't win 7 championships so I'm going to go with no.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Slickdrac posted:

His 200 wins is definitely a fraudulent number of cup wins. By similar measurements, Kyle Busch should be called #2 in terms of wins with his 173.

I've always said that if Kyle gets over 200 across the 3 series it's a more impressive feat than Richard's 200 in Cup, simply because of the fact that the fields are on average more competitive, Kyle has never won 100 mile races like Richard did, and all of Kyle's wins came at a time when the field was given ways to come back from being laps down.

Imagine how many more races Kyle would have won without poo poo like the lucky dog and wave around.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

An article about Indy came out and all the safety behind the scenes, so I was curious if NASCAR had a traveling safety team like Indy and NHRA do.

The just formed one this year, for the Cup series only :psyduck:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

VikingSkull posted:

poo poo like the lucky dog

I need to defend NASCAR a little bit on the lucky dog. I very clearly remember instances pre-dog when a caution would come out, the leaders would slow, and cars on the tail end of the lead lap would zoom by and unlap themselves. It didn't happen on every caution, but when it did happen more than one car got their lap back.

All the lucky dog does is keep this idea of the leader offering laps back to the field as a courtesy, just standardizing it and making it safer. Even with the number and frequency of cautions nowadays, I don't think there's too terrible a difference of the total number of cars getting laps back after a caution between then and now. You can't really complain about two or three cautions in a row granting cars "free" laps back when those same cars would have probably all unlapped themselves at once at the first caution under the old system.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I've been watching old races and these loving tracks are covered in trash with no cautions.

Why the gently caress are we stopping races for small paper bags or a glove or some poo poo today?

I wouldn't be as unhappy about bullshit debris cautions if the series didn't have a stage system that achieves the same loving thing the pretend cautions did.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

There aren't many posts itt that can't be adequately answered by the thread title.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Norns posted:

Why the gently caress are we stopping races for small paper bags or a glove or some poo poo today?

Commercials and restart drama.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

NASCAR is pants on head retarded

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

20 years ago: Car flys off the track. Race still going

Today: a 6 year old threw a chicken nugget at the candy car. Better parade around for 8 loving laps

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Norns posted:

20 years ago: Car flys off the track. Race still going

Today: a 6 year old threw a chicken nugget at the candy car. Better parade around for 8 loving laps

So NASCAR has always been stupid

Big surprise

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

They are constantly innovating and exploring new areas of stupid.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

big nipples big life posted:

They are constantly innovating and exploring new areas of stupid.

And it's gonna get even better next year after Jr retires

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Fauxhawk Express posted:

And it's gonna get even better next year after Jr retires

I'm picturing a montage of NASCAR execs pitching ideas set to "Push it to the Limit"

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

WindyMan posted:

I need to defend NASCAR a little bit on the lucky dog. I very clearly remember instances pre-dog when a caution would come out, the leaders would slow, and cars on the tail end of the lead lap would zoom by and unlap themselves. It didn't happen on every caution, but when it did happen more than one car got their lap back.

All the lucky dog does is keep this idea of the leader offering laps back to the field as a courtesy, just standardizing it and making it safer. Even with the number and frequency of cautions nowadays, I don't think there's too terrible a difference of the total number of cars getting laps back after a caution between then and now. You can't really complain about two or three cautions in a row granting cars "free" laps back when those same cars would have probably all unlapped themselves at once at the first caution under the old system.

I'm not saying it's a bad policy, just that it's a thing that helps make the racing more competitive today. While what you say is true, it didn't happen on every yellow because sometimes the nearest lapped car couldn't make it in time, sometimes the leaders didn't let up because they were racing for position, and believe it or not sometimes the leaders were like "gently caress that dude" and purposely put the irons to the lapped car.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Lucky Dog is one of the very few thing NASCAR has done that is fine. Fox making into some big heehaw is why it's dumb. "Oh boy my favorite driver Danica Patrick is the Aaron's Lucky Dog Aroooooo" :fuckoff:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

big nipples big life posted:

NASCAR 2017: They are constantly innovating and exploring new areas of stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

Lucky Dog is one of the very few thing NASCAR has done that is fine. Fox making into some big heehaw is why it's dumb. "Oh boy my favorite driver Danica Patrick is the Aaron's Lucky Dog Aroooooo" :fuckoff:

Yes, exactly. Fox's marketing of the sport is unbelievably bad.

• Locked thread