Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

That new thread smell. I am looking forward to my 7th season of...well, this...whatever it's supposed to be now...with the SASCAR hivemind. :hfive:

We spent time with the Wild Card system, which was actually kinda fun at times. Then we survived Most Extreme Elimination Challenge somehow, and now we've made it to:

kidcoelacanth posted:

Shiny new points system! (explained here)

Yeah, this is the perfect way to encapsulate this visually. :golfclap:

I'm whipped like a horse. Let's go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"If things aren't working, Vince makes changes. 'You think you know us (the WWE)? Think again."'"

That's from the XFL 30 for 30 but Jesus, you could sub "Brian" for Vince and not miss a beat.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Cygni posted:

Ten-time NASCAR Champion Jimmie Johnson has won his 4th straight Daytona 500 Pole.

Speaking of which, who's ready for 2017 Daytona 500 Polesitter Dale "The Comeback Story" Earnhardt, Jr.?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Cygni posted:

drat, I probably shoulda worked Danica into my thing but i kinda forgot she was in the field

http://racing.ap.org/article/apnewsbreak-danica-patricks-sponsor-sued-racing-team

oh, and SHR is suing her now ex-sponsor

There's a cruel irony in the fact that one of the best marketers in NASCAR has been screwed by sponsors twice now- once by GoDaddy on the "personal service contract" she was offered as a consolation prize only to never happen (what happened with that?) and now again by Nature's Bakery who either bit off more than they could chew or were intentionally shady.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Peanut President posted:

Too bad this car probably won't make the race because it sure is rad.

That looks like one of the fictional cars from the mid-2000s era NASCAR Thunder games.

I guess what I'm saying is I wish it were 2004. :(

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

algebra testes posted:

And just like the old NASCAR games, Carl Edwards isn't going to be in it this year either.

Wait... too soon?

:thurman:

Carl Edwards was in Chase for the Cup 2005 in a Truck. "He" right-reared me out of the lead at Homestead one time because I'd done something to make him somewhat mad and he was a rival or whatever.

I got back to the lead and brake-checked him, which made the thing as red as possible.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

algebra testes posted:

Oh gosh those Goon streams were the best.

Is CFS/Cubey still doing those? I want to know the team led by American car owner Al Qaeda is doing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Did anybody start the Fantasy league or should I do it?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

No matter how dumb it is (and I look at it as more "grossly out of touch" than "offensive"), we're all talking about it.

We're not the intended audience for the ad, but NASCAR would probably consider that a victory nonetheless.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmQrVyK6ZoY

Was that so hard? It's a more traditional ad and gets my attention much more than a chees--

https://twitter.com/cpk_diecast/status/826612672636522496

:aaaaa:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/video/main-gallery/gallagher-pacifism-got-me-nowhere-82349/?s=2

NASCAR 2017: Someone Comes At You, Put 'Em On The Ground, 'Cause They're Gonna Fine You All The Same.

NASCAR 2017: Pacifism Got Me Nowhere

I have a big, goofy grin at my desk and am trying my hardest not to laugh in appreciation.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Daytona 500 will be broken into 60-60-80 segments.

Slickdrac posted:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2017/2/8/nascar-damaged-vehicle-policy-update-2017.html

I can't wait til we hit a track that Goodyear brings a hosed up tire and half the field has to retire because of this.

quote:

"What they won't see is stuff we don't like to see, cars running around out there with stuff flying off," he said. "We don't like that because it creates yellows,

The sport which is creating deliberate cautions in the form of segments and thinks bunching up the field is a good thing for restarts doesn't want debris cautions.

After they created the Caution Clock.

Despite denying phantom cautions were deliberately put out for excitement.

It's also punishing drivers for getting in wrecks (e- In spite of being pushed to race harder).

I just :psyboom:

e2- It really feels like they're in "Let's throw every idea we have up against the wall and see what sticks so we can say 'we tried' before the ship sinks completely.".

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 8, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Who's ready for :siren: MONSTER ENERGY FANTASY NASCAR CUP 2017 :siren:?

https://racing.fantasysports.yahoo.com/auto/group/4769

ID: 4769
PW: SRA

von Manstein posted:

More bad news....

A certain 1990 Daytona 500 winner isn't gonna be in the Xfinity series this year...

"What an amazing three years.

Fielding a full time Xfinity car for the past three seasons was certainly a time we will never forget!

We are blessed to have garnered great relationships, had many new opportunities, and of course had a few great runs!

But, our time in the Xfinity Series has come to a close, along with our recent partnership with JP Motorsports.

We look forward to 2017 with renewed vigor, and will keep you all in the loop as to what our plans will be!"

HOLD THE PHONE

quote:

Former Daytona 500 champion Derrike Cope will be returning to the most elite division of NASCAR in the Monster Energy Cup Series in 2017 with Premium Motorsports. Cope will be running a limited schedule in the #55, with the possibility of a full schedule dependent on sponsorship beginning in Atlanta in March. With over 700 top three series NASCAR starts, the far majority being in the Cup Series, Cope's career started in Winston West ( now K&N ) and spans 35 years with multiple wins.(Derrike Cope Racing)(2-8-2017)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

It's telling me that password is incorrect

I may have done all caps out of habit when I posted in the thread by mistake.

I just changed it to all caps SRA.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I can't tell if half the field getting junked in the first stage is no worse than any normal plate race or it's going to make the race somehow worse/more laughable which, in turn, will lead NASCAR to dump the system at Daytona and Talladega at some point.

I remember the 2014 Coke Zero 400 having most of the field gone by the time the rains came. Jeff Gordon finished 12th barely able to keep up with the pack.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Kevin Harvick, Chase Elliott, Jamie McMurray, Joey Logano, and Brad Keselowski will be the guest color analysts on FOX's NXS races this season. Schedule below:

quote:

Date Location Driver Analyst* Network Race Start**
2/25 Daytona International Speedway Harvick FS1 3:30 PM
3/4 Atlanta Motor Speedway Elliott FS1 1:30 PM
3/11 Las Vegas Motor Speedway McMurray FS1 4:00 PM
3/18 Phoenix International Raceway Harvick FOX 4:00 PM
3/25 Auto Club Speedway Keselowski FS1 4:00 PM
4/8 Texas Motor Speedway Keselowski FOX 1:30 PM
4/22 Bristol Motor Speedway Harvick FS1 12:30 PM
4/29 Richmond International Raceway Logano FS1 12:30 PM
5/6 Talladega Superspeedway Harvick FOX 1:00 PM
5/27 Charlotte Motor Speedway TBA FS1 1:00 PM
6/3 Dover International Speedway Logano FS1 1:00 PM
6/10 Pocono Raceway Harvick FOX 1:00 PM

6/17 Michigan International Speedway TBA FS1 1:30 PM
6/24 Iowa Speedway TBA FS1 8:30 PM

They used Larry McReynolds at Iowa last year because it was a non-companion event.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

algebra testes posted:

Normally my default position is "Take that fantasy rear end schedule making nonsense back to the Indycar thread."

But real talk? I am 100% in agreement with you.

I know that "technically" running a XFS car around Myrtle Beach or South Boston probably isn't super beneficial for development for a Cup Car on a cookie cutter 1.5 mile. But goddamn it's fun!!

You can't tell me some of the regional short tracks which probably should be on the Xfinity schedule wouldn't draw more fans than a comprable crowd at Kansas or Chicago (or :lol: Indy), but these are probably assertions NASCAR wants nothing to do with because it admits failure.

Are the Xfinity venues locked in the next five years like the Cup schedule? I feel like NASCAR would be able to use the idea of adding more short tracks as a "returning to our roots" promotion of the series. It can even be a thinly-veiled deflection of the fact nobody cares about Xfinity, I don't care, just make it happen.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Dale Jr. Tweeted he'd be the first on the entry list if they ever took NXS back to Myrtle Beach, didn't he?

That'll sell some tickets, Brian. I'll even shut up about Buschwackers for a night.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/LewisFranck/status/831181429199478784

:tviv:

Maybe those Carlos Slim "Put Suarez in Cup NOW" rumors had something to them.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Is there a reason why Cup doesn't run the Bud Shootout/ARCA/Pole Day this week?

Seems like the weekend is wide open for it.

The 500 was President's Day weekend until 2012, at which point it was pushed back a week for spacing between the Shootout and the Super Bowl/possible expansion to an 18-game NFL season: http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2011/02/20/daytona-500-date-2010.html

Interestingly enough, it's moving back to President's Day next year: http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/daytona-500-moving-back-to-traditional-weekend-in-2018-072716

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Edwards rumor has been completely denied by Penske, which means we're going to have a press conference in August confirming it, aren't we?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

It just seems like most rumors met with immediate denial wind up being true with the exception of Harvick to Hendrick, which popped up last year.

https://twitter.com/DGodfatherMoody/status/831205703662583810

https://twitter.com/ASManess/status/831211267272478720

:thurman:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

BMB5150 posted:

And we have a post mortem champion too.

Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, and Tony Stewart never win a title. Danica Patrick someday does (assuming she stays in longer than Junyer).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Danica gets a sponsorship lifeboat (I almost typed "love boat" by mistake):

https://twitter.com/Eric_RaceReview/status/831545840787451904

Cool paint scheme.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Reminder, MONSTER ENERGY FANTASY NASCAR CUP 2017!

https://racing.fantasysports.yahoo.com/auto/group/4769

ID: 4769
PW: SRA

L_Harrison posted:

So who's NASCAR going to fix to win the pole?

My bet's on any of these:
Dale Jr (back after time off from concussion)
Michael Waltrip (last race. lol okay maybe not)
Daniel Suarez (first Cup start + Hispanic driver, double good)
Erik Jones (fresh young talent, first season, and a new team)

CBJSprague24 posted:

Speaking of which, who's ready for 2017 Daytona 500 Polesitter Dale "The Comeback Story" Earnhardt, Jr.?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

Prepare to burn through your Suarez/Jones picks by week 12

That's what I said about Elliott/Blaney and I wound up with Blaney plays to give at the end of the season.

...now, granted, two drivers having extended injuries and Brian Vickers, Ty Dillon, Alex Bowman in a competitive ride, and Jeff Goddamn Gordon on the C-list probably won't be an option to save us this year, so I embrace our fate which is very creative picks at times during the season.

VikingSkull posted:

I mean, is it any worse than calm racing for 450 miles and then all the GWC's?

This is why I've kind of bit my tongue on the segments. If you look through all the bullshit gimmicks NASCAR is using to try and sell this to people, it's really just two cautions.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

You guys want some more changes to go with your changes? HAVE SOME MORE CHANGES! A NEW PENALTY STRUCTURE!:

quote:

"Our goal was to be able to, more like football or basketball or any sporting event to where we could officiate and police within the event," Sawyer told NASCAR.com. "I think the real message is that we want to get these infractions, the smaller infractions, we want to get them corrected at the race track.

"It's very similar to a 15-yard penalty. If you can get three 15-yard penalties and you can still win the game or drive down and score a touchdown, then good for you. If we can issue these penalties and you lose pit selection or you start at the back or a drive-through (penalty), and you can still come back and win the race, well then we feel like what that infraction was, the penalty fits the crime."

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2017/2/16/nascar-announces-new-deterrence-penalty-policy.html

They just can't stop tinkering.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Chicago is :toxx:ing that if you purchase a single-day ticket to their Cup race between now and next Sunday and Junyer wins the 500 that you'll receive a full refund AND get to keep the ticket.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ungratek posted:

No way they get the Clash in tonight

The Clash is the undercard.

The main event is LOL ARCA. :getin:

e- Never mind, I just saw the radar on Stenhouse's pit box, they may have trouble getting ARCA in on time, too.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Casey Mears is working for FOX, Greg Biffle has signed on with NBC to do a handful of studio shows, Kevin Lee from NBC's IndyCar coverage is doing ARCA on FS1 right now.

Speaking of ARCA, come laugh with us: https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/#nascar@irc.synirc.net

Jesus, ARCA does group qualifying on plate tracks? :stonk:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

First ARCA of the year 20 minutes

It's on now, though. :confused:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I asked in IRC for a year between 1979 and 97 and L_Harrison chose 1982.

The 1982 Busch Clash is on right here, right now: https://cytu.be/r/SASCARWinterHeat

I'm going to keep running them until the race starts.

e- Clash was postponed to 11am Eastern on FS1. Toffile queued up the 1990 Daytona 500 in CyTube.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 19, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

I find it impossible to care who does and does not qualify for the Busch Bud Clash Shooutout

NASCAR doesn't care either, which is why Daytona 500 Polesitter is an eligibility criteria for the race.

...or maybe they do and their apathy lies in the fact they don't care how obvious The Danica Patrick Rule is at this point.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Clash should go back to two 10 lap segments with an inversion at halfway. With the racing we're seeing right now it'd be insane.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The fix. It's not in.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Larson was parked because the 5 minute rule includes an automatic disqualification if there are too many men over the wall.

:fuckoff:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Who is the moron in NASCAR acting as media partner liaison who said "No, we'd like to put Daytona 500 qualifying on the network and a race the same weekend is fine on cable"?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

The fix. It's not in.

kidcoelacanth posted:

It is amazing the lengths you will go to to find something to complain about

Anyway lol at the timing and scoring cutting out on junior's lap

I don't know, I'd prefer to watch actual racing action over qualifying on every TV in my house as opposed to the one with the cable box hooked up to it, but that's just the opinion of one race fan. :shrug:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 19, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Mixed reviews for the Monster Girls:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/02/mon...ccd8817d7c99051

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The July Pocono Cup race will have both qualifying and the race on Sunday.
Not a true one-day show, but I'm curious to see how it plays out. It's not a bad idea if done right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

wicka posted:

No way in hell there's anything worse than DW's catchphrases.

Todd Harris asked if this was the week Danica Patrick would turn the trick in pretty much every race in the 2005 IndyCar season.

• Locked thread