Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Throughout my extensive career and many travels, I have always made time to appreciate the art unique to the various corners of our world. As we continue to witness the earth flatten, technology has made art accessible now matter where you are in the world. A woman in Beirut can look at the Mona Lisa, or view Angkor Wat, all without leaving her home. She can then share that experience with others, no matter where they may be. Video games, a product of Globalization 3.0, allow us to share even deeper experiences and longer narratives across time and space, however, the way we engage with them remains very different from how we interact with traditional media forms. We don't study Sonic the Hedgehog in the same way as Rodion Raskolnikov, Mario's theme music the same way as The Phantom of the Opera, or The Leaguethe same way as League of Legends. Imagine, if you will, that every piece of media we engage with is a voice, trying to tell us something. We hear criticism of the monarchy in the Barber of Seville or an examination of obsession in Moby Dick. Truly great pieces of art speak to us both loudly and subtly, but when it comes to video games, Silent Hill is just that; silent.

This isnt to say though, that video games can't become art, in fact, we need them to do so. We need the likes of Shigeru Miyamoto, Todd Howard, Josh Holmes, Hanzo Shimaeda, Reggie Fils-Amie, and Kaz Hirai to step up and initiate a fundamental change of video gaming culture. The 800 pound tie-wearing gorilla in the room is that our children grew up with games telling them to eat strange mushrooms and to shoot people to score points. Is it any wonder then, that we have epidemics of mass shootings and opioids? When all you have in your toolbox are guns and drugs, everything starts to look like a nail.

Thomas L. Friedman is the New York Times Best-selling author of Thank You For Being Late: An Optimist's Guide To Thriving In The Age Of Accelerations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once.
Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear;
Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come"

- Act II, Scene II "Julius Caeser" by William Shakespeare

"I'm saying it because it's true. Inside of us, we both know you belong with Victor. You're part of his work, the thing that keeps him going. If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life. "

- Character Rick Blane in "Casablanca"

"Thank you so much for to playing my game!"

- Mario Mario in "Super Mario 64"

• Locked thread