Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dr. Hans Klangwerk posted:

I'm not really bothering with explicit sprints since the amount of time I can spend on it week to week is highly variable. As I said, hoping to have everything ready about 3 months from now, and then we'll see how Lowtax wants to do it in terms of the migration.

Well that was in October and now it's February. Think everything is ready yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

a spectre is haunting sa - the spectre of radium

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
:rip: the forums

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i think the rewrite is going somewhere in between "poorly" and "not at all"

also where is the kickparper

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
this forum was built on an indian burial ground

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i thought it was somewhat open sores

just being done in frameworks and languages that 5 people know

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

SO DEMANDING posted:

also where is the kickparper

here u go: https://secure.somethingawful.com/products/donate.php

i don't get why richard doesn't just start a new forum from scratch with the existing users and smilies migrated over, it's not like any of our posts are worth migrating or preserving

but what do i know i just post here :shittydog:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lowtax@sa-forums $ ls titan
total 9
drwxr-xr-x+ 1 lowtax None  0 Feb 2 16:03 ./
drwxr-xr-x+ 1 lowtax None  0 Feb 2 16:03 ../
-rw-r--r--  1 lowtax None 20 Feb 2 16:03 forums.php

lowtax@sa-forums $ cat titan/forums.php
<?php
//TODO
phpinfo();
?>

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the whole thing was a prank. there is no new forum, there are no spaceship drawings, there probably isn't even a real lowtax anymore (rip)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
when the rewrite drops everyone with a regdate over 2006 will be banned

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

here u go: https://secure.somethingawful.com/products/donate.php

i don't get why richard doesn't just start a new forum from scratch with the existing users and smilies migrated over, it's not like any of our posts are worth migrating or preserving

but what do i know i just post here :shittydog:

it was implied that lowtax was actually going to have a full kickstarter type page with rewards and such detailed out, more than just the donation page you linked

SmokaDustbowl posted:

sweet

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

when he eventually grows weary of this world he scours the planes and chooses a worthy successor to bear the mantle of lowtax

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

SmokaDustbowl posted:

1/1/2006? good, i'll finally be free

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

SmokaDustbowl posted:

b b b b but ive been browsing the forums since 2002!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

digging through that thread it sounds like they don't even have innodb going yet lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

the whole thing was a prank. there is no new forum, there are no spaceship drawings, there probably isn't even a real lowtax anymore (rip)

:tinfoil:

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i just like the idea of cool teens on the internet who are looking to buy in to a subscription web forum, but ONLY if it's using a slightly newer software backend

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Jfc just make the current forums read only and move the usernames to xenforo 2 when it's released.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

is it still being written in some dumb language only six people in the world use?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Sweevo posted:

is it still being written in some dumb language only six people in the world use?

go?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
is this a paid coder or someone doing it for spaceships? i know choochocockles was paid but i had the impression it's been volunteers since then

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Hammerite posted:

is this a paid coder or someone doing it for spaceships? i know choochocockles was paid but i had the impression it's been volunteers since then

nah its some new guy doing it in elixir and he basically handwaved away everyone's questions about how he was going to stick to a schedule when he isn't doing it in public and no one can hold him accountable. and now he's 10xd himself past his own deadline.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

lmfao i was gonna joke and say 'rust' but reality is dumber than my jokes by far

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

nah its some new guy doing it in elixir and he basically handwaved away everyone's questions about how he was going to stick to a schedule when he isn't doing it in public and no one can hold him accountable. and now he's 10xd himself past his own deadline.

that and he acted like 3 months to write a replacement by himself was realistic.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

akadajet posted:

that and he acted like 3 months to write a replacement by himself was realistic.

what do you mean vbulletin had years of development work?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
a triple A first person shooter only takes 8 months tops, so 3 for a forum should be plenty

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I remember some yosposter made a 4chon clone, we should just use that imo

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Symbolic Butt posted:

we are all captains of this ship called yospos, therefore we go down with it

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Suspicious posted:

a triple A first person shooter only takes 8 months tops, so 3 for a forum should be plenty

he was basically done you know, just needed to add the right css and he was there!

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

angry_keebler posted:

i just like the idea of cool teens on the internet who are looking to buy in to a subscription web forum, but ONLY if it's using a slightly newer software backend

millenials want forums with a social mission that matches their values... theyre looking to post with a purpose

i propose rebranding e/n as an ngo offering assistance to stupid people

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Symbolic Butt posted:

the bittorrent people made a pretty decent SA clone when the barnyard went away

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
the only people willing to put the effort into trying to clone sa are people so sad and bitter that the only thing they have left is coming together for the specific purpose of hating and attacking sa.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

akadajet posted:

the bittorrent people made a pretty decent SA clone when the barnyard went away

did they also clone the :10bux: barrier and the mods

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i for one have the utmost confidence that the rewrite is going swimmingly and any day now we'll suddenly find ourselves using the complete and perfect rewrite

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Did lowtax find someone willing to code for city name sports team shirts?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qntm posted:

did they also clone the :10bux: barrier and the mods

no, but a lot of paranoia

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Plorkyeran posted:

i for one have the utmost confidence that the rewrite is going swimmingly and any day now we'll suddenly find ourselves using the complete and perfect rewrite

you're actually using it now and you don't even know it. it was that seamless

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
we're actually posting on the rewrite right now but nobody noticed - thats how seamless of a transition it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

:thejoke:

• Locked thread