Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

they weren't ints, they were actual strings of 1s and 0s that he was simply calling bitfields.

just pull the plug already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbf rewriting the forums probably really could be done pretty quick, so who knows, it might get done in a reasonable time. it remains a pretty pointless exercise though. at the very least there is so much poo poo which should just be slowly migrated or killed off while getting the actual make-post-in-thread bit to work in a way that actually doesn't cost money to run

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

they weren't ints, they were actual strings of 1s and 0s that he was simply calling bitfields.

and yet bitfields aren't used in places they would actually make sense - like keeping track of who has platinum or archives. buying platinum moves your entire account from the normal group to a separate platinum group. users with both platinum and archives are a totally separate group to users who have one but not the other. this is also why you lose the upgrades when you get banned - because your account is moved to the banned group and it doesn't record whether it was previously in the normal, archive, platinum, or archive+platinum group.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 6, 2017

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Sweevo posted:

and yet bitfields aren't used in places they would actually make sense - like keeping track of who has platinum or archives. buying platinum moves your entire account from the normal group to a separate platinum group. users with both platinum and archives are a totally separate group to users who have one but not the other. this is also why you lose the upgrades when you get banned - because your account is moved to the banned group and it doesn't record whether it was previously in the normal, archive, platinum, or archive+platinum group.

ok but where are my trees smart guy

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

if only lowtax was a bitcoiner, he could have gotten idiots to send him a million fake dollars to make a new forum

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
like, the only downside of just moving to a different commercial forums package was that some of the hacked-on features might not be portable. but since they're constantly complaining that half these features are broken and barely work im not sure that's such a loss. buying other people avatars and rendering a fart cloud over the gaschamber are fun and all, but they're hardly critical to the overall fun of the forums and that stuff can be slowly added on over time by someone who is not bugfuck insane.

instead we're making a bespoke platform straight down the rabbit hole that created the current forums.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

like, the only downside of just moving to a different commercial forums package was that some of the hacked-on features might not be portable. but since they're constantly complaining that half these features are broken and barely work im not sure that's such a loss.

This. Stop wasting money for something that will never be finished or finished poorly and just move the user base to xenforo and archive the current forum. The new forum will be filled with shitposts in days.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
some of those hacked-on features are business-critical though, namely the upgrades (the ones that work)

Hammerite posted:

thats terrible and stupid but hardly unfixable
exactly, every time someone rails about what a mess the forums code is all i hear is that there's a lot of low hanging fruit to pick if someone wpuld just get a frigging stepladder

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

everyone who has actually seen the codebase says it's an unmaintainable abortion. i'm more inclined to believe them than someone who reads about one trivial problem and thinks "hurr its just lots of little things, fix them and it'll be fine"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

dealing with legacy software sucks. especially when your coworkers are writing brand new legacy software

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gazpacho posted:

some of those hacked-on features are business-critical though, namely the upgrades (the ones that work)

except if you believe the admins' posting they genuinely believe the poorly functioning technology of the forums is preventing them from growing their userbase. if that is a genuine belief on their part then it's to their benefit to get better technology now and worry about the other stuff later. there's no one to buy your upgrades if no one is registering because the tech is bad.

not that i buy that the lack of registering is because of the tech, but they've said it multiple times.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sweevo posted:

everyone who has actually seen the codebase says it's an unmaintainable abortion. i'm more inclined to believe them than someone who reads about one trivial problem and thinks "hurr its just lots of little things, fix them and it'll be fine"
if you see that second person that you mentioned let me know

like i literally said in this very thread that resolving the CSS hacks would likely be a big job but there's no substitute for doing it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i know i've had several people tell me they wanted to be on sa and were willing to spend the $10 but then they saw it was ancient vbulletin and were like "lol no i only use the finest bespoke forum softwares"

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I guess as long as Lowtax has ownership of the code this time around he can share it and people can offer to improve it, which is a plus if the Jelsoft license stops him doing that right now. even if it does end up being another pile of crap

although doing it in a language only half a dozen people in the world know about lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

reddit looks like a relic and yet people still post on it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
jeff atwood was gonna save us and you all drove him away and now look at us :cry:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

jeff atwood was gonna save us and you all drove him away and now look at us :cry:

he PMed me and said that the elixer rewrite made no sense and xenforo was the way to go

guess he isn't always wrong

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

akadajet posted:

if it looked a little better they could probably charge $10 to register

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

akadajet posted:

sadly

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

i know i've had several people tell me they wanted to be on sa and were willing to spend the $10 but then they saw it was ancient vbulletin and were like "lol no i only use the finest bespoke forum softwares"

those people suck

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

akadajet posted:

he PMed me and said that the elixer rewrite made no sense and xenforo was the way to go

guess he isn't always wrong

did this really happen

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Hammerite posted:

I guess as long as Lowtax has ownership of the code this time around he can share it and people can offer to improve it, which is a plus if the Jelsoft license stops him doing that right now. even if it does end up being another pile of crap

although doing it in a language only half a dozen people in the world know about lol

yeah, it is a bad idea if it is just to just get the forums working smooth, but if they actually make it there are some actual upsides that can follow

elixir is not the issue by a mile either, that is just tech people bikeshedding

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

dragon enthusiast posted:

did this really happen

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the daily wtf is the worst kind of spergs, circlejerking about what is ~right~ while failing to realize their, and softwares, role in the world

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am 100% sure you'd vastly improve the state of software development by getting rid of everyone who has ever posted on dailywtf

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Is that the guy that was banned after he told lowtax it would cost at least tens of thousands to fix the forums?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

eric posted:

Is that the guy that was banned after he told lowtax it would cost at least tens of thousands to fix the forums?

don't think so

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i don't think jef fatwood is banned, we just scared him off with our unrelenting hostility

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

we scared chef fatwood back to snack overflow because nobody liked his six course idea

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't think jef fatwood is banned, we just scared him off with our unrelenting hostility

ya, he won't come back :(

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
plz jef save this dead gay forum, you're our only hope.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

elixir is not the issue by a mile either, that is just tech people bikeshedding

this isn't bikeshedding. choosing a language that nobody uses is a legitimate maintenance issue. when the original developer gets a girlfriend and stops working in it, hiring someone new that knows the language and is willing to put up with lowtax and goons is going to be nearly impossible.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

this isn't bikeshedding. choosing a language that nobody uses is a legitimate maintenance issue. when the original developer gets a girlfriend and stops working in it, hiring someone new that knows the language and is willing to put up with lowtax and goons is going to be nearly impossible.

perhaps if there was something in between lowest common denominator impossible to use right php and cool people only elixir

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
rewrite the forums in mumps

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gazpacho posted:

rewrite the forums in mumps

you do not want to know what goes into web-facing mumps, let me tell you.

just rewrite this poo poo in asp.net mvc and be done with it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

you do not want to know what goes into web-facing mumps, let me tell you.

just rewrite this poo poo in asp.net mvc and be done with it.

shaggar alt spotted

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

elixir is not weird in any way though, it is less controversial than go when it comes to just about anyone being able to pick it up and make a patch if the need arises. the functional nature is the biggest sticking issue, but it is hardly haskell or even f# levels of complex

it may not be the best choice, but it is not a bad enough one that the codebase will be left stranded for *that* reason

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
make it in java and hire indian programmers on upwork.com until its done

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Sweevo posted:

I would love to peek at the codebase, I like a challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wizardnetic Vermin posted:

elixir is not weird in any way though, it is less controversial than go when it comes to just about anyone being able to pick it up and make a patch if the need arises. the functional nature is the biggest sticking issue, but it is hardly haskell or even f# levels of complex

it may not be the best choice, but it is not a bad enough one that the codebase will be left stranded for *that* reason

you can mostly write phoenix like rails, since elixir jettisons the erlang "oh each variable can only be assigned once" thing

• Locked thread