Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Housekeeping: We'll go straight into the scene change so please update your Wonder/Feeling count and spend your dreams at the beginning of your post, as well as spending your points to keep/update your form.
Alma will spend 4 dreams to increase her relationship with Tsukimi to 2. She thought the black bat thing was a riot.
Alice will spend her 5 dreams to increase her relationship with Nene to 2. Though her shyness makes it a little awkward, she doesn't necessarily hate the hugging.
Cory has 2 dreams.

Shrine Team

"Alll right! Everyone headed for the shrine, come with me!"

Alma raised her voice, puffing out her chest importantly and waving her arms like she was about to lead a parade.

"You heard her boys, let's go weed that shrine and get our team another ace!"

Cory, still fired up at the thought of gaining Kumo's impressive abilities for the team, was full of spirit as he pumped his fist in the air and fell in behind Alma. The rest of the boys weren't quite as passionate about the idea as their leader, but they also weren't about to ditch him. Besides, even if they wanted to keep playing... their only ball had been sent deep into the weedy grounds of the shrine anyway. If they wanted to get back to playing, a little cleaning was in order at any rate.

After arriving at the shrine, Alma quickly lead the group around the back where there was an old shed with no lock. Popping it open, she revealed its contents; various weeding and gardening tools.

"We came and cleaned this place for a school service project one time, and teach said we shouldn't bother the owner since he's all old and stuff. As long as we don't bust anything, it should be alright for us to use this stuff."

Library Team

"The library is this way," Alice said quietly, leading the way for Nene.

Once they arrived outside of the old stone building that housed the library, she paused and tried to think of information that would be helpful. Happily, her explanation happened well within the earshot of Yuu, who had gone over earlier.

"There's an older boy named Matthew, who gets the other older kids together and helps them study over break. He's always talking about leaving and going to high school in a big city, and he tells the other kids they have to study or they'll..." she paused, averting her eyes and blushing a bit, a little ashamed to say it, but then continued: "... or they'll be stuck in Clover Town. He thinks that's awful, I guess. I think if you want them to come help, you're going to have to talk Matthew into it... but I don't know what you can say that'll make him listen. All he cares about is studying and taking tests."

Her shoulders slumped and she looked at the ground, sad that she couldn't offer more helpful advice. Really, in her head the only hope was that some other kids who weren't studying with Matthew would be around who would want to join up.

I'll describe the scene inside the library once you go in.

Edit: Fix'd

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Dreams: 2 | Wonder: 15 -> 7 | Feelings: 9

I skip allllll the way up to the shrine! Today has been the greatest, just the super best! There are so many cool new friends I met and I played a game and hit the ball super far and people like me and now we're even going to make Yotsuba happy! Being a dog is so much fun, but this human thing is super neat too! ...Aaaaah! Maybe I can get Alma or Cory to play fetch with me after we clean everything? I can't get that basedball out of my head!

Once Alma opens up the shed, my eyes open wide, "Wow! That's a lot of stuff!" I grab a tiny pokey thing from the pile. It has three pokeys lined up and looks like it would be good for pulling out some nasty weeds! Almost as good as my paws! I hold the Pokey out for Tsukimi to see, "Tsukimi! You have the best ideas!! What's the best way to get rid of all the weeds?"

Maintaining full human form for 8 wonder! And, hey, let's give Cory another dream for being so fired up!

Tricky fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 18, 2017

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yuu

Dreams: 2 | Wonder: 11 | Feelings: 11

Yuu marches into the library without waiting for the others. Why bother? One fox was enough for this job. He busts on in with his full human guise on, and looks extremely cool. As should be obvious; few can resist the charms of hyper-color shades.

"Hey!" He puts his hands on his hips and surveys the floor. "Who's going to go clean up the shrine here?"

Yuu gains 5 wonder and feelings each, then pops four each to go completely human.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Dreams: 0 | Wonder: 7 | Feelings: 11

Rubbing her head, Tsukimi relaxes enough for her ears and tail to emerge. It's tiring to keep this up during the day! If she doesn't relax a little, she'll be a bunny before long! Hopefully, Cory won't completely freak...

Spending 6 wonder for a mostly human form with ears and tail for this scene. Going to create a Connection of Trust to Alma and raise it to 2 for 9 Dreams total. All spends reflected above!

"Alright, go! You can do! I believe in you!", Tsukimi says, pumping her fist. After holding it up for an uncomfortable pause, she scratches her cheek, "Aw, I guess I better do something too, um-" She grabs a hori-hori knife, holding up above her head. A short ditty of music plays for some reason.

With that reference over with, she looks to Kumo. "Um, fire? That's a real bad idea around a wooden shrine, though... um..." She slaps her hand into a palm. "Oh, I could eat some of it! But I guess we have to pull it up either way... oh, that's it! Maybe I could get some folks in the forest to help out!" They didn't just have to rely on humans, after all... right?

Getsuya posted:

Edit: whoops, originally I had Alma strengthen her bond with Tsukimi only to realize they didn't have one yet... I really need to post up a character list with who has bonds with who.

I thought they did? Either way, it's 1 less dream to improve connections with Tsukimi if so.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 15, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I thought they did? Either way, it's 1 less dream to improve connections with Tsukimi if so.

Craaaaap I thought I looked through all the posts but I must have been tired or something. I'll switch it back to Tsukimi getting the connection upgrade as originally planned. Sorry for the mix up.

Edit: Fix'd. Sorry for the confusion.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 16, 2017

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Nene, the lackadaisical tanuki

Dreams: 2 | Wonder: 7 | Feelings: 10

Gonna spend 6 feelings to stay human with a fluffy tail and little ears. Gonna spend 5 dreams to create a Connection of Affection with the cool twin, Alice

Nene stretches, her tail and ears appearing as she relaxes. "So..." Nene says, looking at the door and twirling her hair in her fingers. "Any chance there's vending machines in there? I haven't had a snack all day..."

She hesitates, looking around. "Where's Yuu? He didn't... Aw jeez." She grabs Alice's hand and drags her into the library. "Come on, before he does something only a fox would do!"

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Shrine

Tricky posted:

I skip allllll the way up to the shrine! Today has been the greatest, just the super best! There are so many cool new friends I met and I played a game and hit the ball super far and people like me and now we're even going to make Yotsuba happy! Being a dog is so much fun, but this human thing is super neat too! ...Aaaaah! Maybe I can get Alma or Cory to play fetch with me after we clean everything? I can't get that basedball out of my head!

Once Alma opens up the shed, my eyes open wide, "Wow! That's a lot of stuff!" I grab a tiny pokey thing from the pile. It has three pokeys lined up and looks like it would be good for pulling out some nasty weeds! Almost as good as my paws! I hold the Pokey out for Tsukimi to see, "Tsukimi! You have the best ideas!! What's the best way to get rid of all the weeds?"

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Rubbing her head, Tsukimi relaxes enough for her ears and tail to emerge. It's tiring to keep this up during the day! If she doesn't relax a little, she'll be a bunny before long! Hopefully, Cory won't completely freak...

"Alright, go! You can do! I believe in you!", Tsukimi says, pumping her fist. After holding it up for an uncomfortable pause, she scratches her cheek, "Aw, I guess I better do something too, um-" She grabs a hori-hori knife, holding up above her head. A short ditty of music plays for some reason.

With that reference over with, she looks to Kumo. "Um, fire? That's a real bad idea around a wooden shrine, though... um..." She slaps her hand into a palm. "Oh, I could eat some of it! But I guess we have to pull it up either way... oh, that's it! Maybe I could get some folks in the forest to help out!" They didn't just have to rely on humans, after all... right?

Cory and the other boys filed over to the tool shed, with Cory keeping his eyes mostly on Kumo while handing out tools. However, when she asked Tsukimi for advice, his eyes naturally followed hers over to the other girl. As did Alma's, and luckily she caught sight of the girl's bunny ears a split second before the boys did. With a short yelp of surprise, Alma leaped forward and clapped her hands on Tsukimi's head, trying to shield her long ears from view.

"... Uh, Alma... what are you doing?" Cory asked, quirking an eyebrow. All the other boys had the same expression of confusion on their faces.

"Doing? I'm not doing anything. What are you talking about?"

"How come you're hugging her head like that?"

"H-hey c'mon, can't I give my new best friend a hug every once in a while?"

She plastered on a cheesy smile and rubbed her cheek against Tsukimi's hesitantly.

"See? Hehe... besties!"

Library

grassy gnoll posted:

Yuu

Yuu marches into the library without waiting for the others. Why bother? One fox was enough for this job. He busts on in with his full human guise on, and looks extremely cool. As should be obvious; few can resist the charms of hyper-color shades.

"Hey!" He puts his hands on his hips and surveys the floor. "Who's going to go clean up the shrine here?"

Jade Mage posted:

Nene stretches, her tail and ears appearing as she relaxes. "So..." Nene says, looking at the door and twirling her hair in her fingers. "Any chance there's vending machines in there? I haven't had a snack all day..."

She hesitates, looking around. "Where's Yuu? He didn't... Aw jeez." She grabs Alice's hand and drags her into the library. "Come on, before he does something only a fox would do!"

Inside the small library building the main open space was dominated by a long table at which sat a half dozen middle-school aged kids, all watching an older boy intently as he quietly explained something to them from a thick textbook he was holding.
After Yuu burst in, he turned to look in that direction, adjusted his glasses, tilted up his chin haughtily, and said:

"Could you please keep it down? This is a library, you know, and some of us are trying to study."

This said, he went back to quietly tutoring the other kids at the table. The other kids, who had glanced over at Yuu when he came in, also turned back to the older boy, apparently not giving Yuu another thought.

All but one girl

who gave Yuu one last apologetic glance and bobbed her head to him a silent 'sorry' before turning back to the older boy.

The only other person in the main room to react to Yuu's entrance was a young girl,

about the same age as Alma and Alice, who was sitting in a big, fluffy arm-chair on the other side of the room. At Yuu's exclamation she peeped shyly over the top of a big book with a barbarian fighting a dragon on the cover that she was reading. However, after the older boy's snide dismissal, she dropped her gaze back to her book.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yuu

Yuu's eyebrows knit together under his shades. He's not used to being addressed in such an impertinent manner.

"And I am trying to save the center of this town's spiritual and cultural life. It doesn't take someone of my incredible geniussisity to see which one of us has a more important mission, but I will accept your apology in the form of your physical labor, so."

The little henge claps his hands twice, like he's the king of Paris summoning his servants.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Tsukimi tilts to one side and then the other. "Ehhhh?" Her eyes drift towards Alma, and she says, "Ohhhh." She puts her hands on her head, and then sidles towards a tree. "I'm gonna go find some more help. Be right back!", she adds, before taking off into the woods.

Well, who better to help than some neighbors? She looks around, seeing if she can find some denizens of the forest who might be helpful! Plus, it keeps her out of Cory's sight for a moment. She didn't quite get why that was a big deal, but if Alma thought it was important, maybe she should? That runs through her mind as she wanders amongst the trees, her red eyes looking around.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Dreams: 2 | Wonder: 7 | Feelings: 9

I look at Alma as she hugs Tsukimi's head and then Tsukimi runs into the forest and... What's going on?? Am I missing something? Who's in the woods? Friends?? I shake my head, my hair bouncing all over, then I look at the pokey with a determined expression. I'm gonna clean this shrine sooooooo good!

I sidle over to Cory and the boys and hold out the pokey triumphantly, "I bet..." They liked bets and challenges, right?? "...that I can clean more of the shrine!! It's a challenge!!" A huge grin is on my face. This was fun! Challenges and based balls and pokeys... so interesting!!

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Nene stares in disbelief. Almost a full minute of silence passes...

She pats Alice on the top of her head, smiling sadly. Nene whispers "Crazy train has left the station, choo chooooooo~". She looks around, "The little one with the barbarian dragon book looks nice, wanna go chat with her with me? I guess you could do damage control with Yuu, but I think that town has already been blown to bits."

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Dream to Nene for crazy train. And one to Kumo for knowing just how to distract the guys.
Library

grassy gnoll posted:

Yuu

Yuu's eyebrows knit together under his shades. He's not used to being addressed in such an impertinent manner.

"And I am trying to save the center of this town's spiritual and cultural life. It doesn't take someone of my incredible geniussisity to see which one of us has a more important mission, but I will accept your apology in the form of your physical labor, so."

The little henge claps his hands twice, like he's the king of Paris summoning his servants.

"I think I can save you some time there, kid. This town lost what little life it had quite a while ago. I'm trying to save my fellow students from the fate of being stuck in this flyspeck for the rest of their lives. I don't know what kind of merit badge you're trying to earn here, but I seriously doubt your 'mission' is more important than that," the older boy said, adjusting his glasses before turning away from Yuu.

The younger girl at the study table flinched at his words, and visibly gathered the courage to stammer out:

"M-Matt... I don't think you should say bad things about Clover Town like that..."

"Oh come on, Mary, there's nothing for you or anyone else here unless you're a fan of working in orchards. This town contains nothing of interest to anyone. It's boring, it's tiny and it's dying. The best we can hope to do is abandon ship before it sinks. Do you want to keep studying or don't you? You want to go to a nice high school in the big city, right?"

"I... I guess..." the girl, Mary, said, deflating. Though her head was bowed, she kept flicking glances up at Matthew's face even when he turned away from her.

"Anyway, as I was saying..." Matthew resumed his lesson, having apparently completely pushed Yuu out of his mind.

Jade Mage posted:

Nene stares in disbelief. Almost a full minute of silence passes...

She pats Alice on the top of her head, smiling sadly. Nene whispers "Crazy train has left the station, choo chooooooo~". She looks around, "The little one with the barbarian dragon book looks nice, wanna go chat with her with me? I guess you could do damage control with Yuu, but I think that town has already been blown to bits."

"Oh, okay," Alice says, turning her attention from the scene Yuu caused to follow Nene's indication to the girl reading the book. Then she freezes, eyes going wide. A few expressions cross her face. Recognition, chagrin, a bit of sadness, then an awkwardly forced smile. "Um... yeah... I'll talk to her with you... sure. She looks... nice..." she said, her words lacking any conviction.

Shrine

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Tsukimi tilts to one side and then the other. "Ehhhh?" Her eyes drift towards Alma, and she says, "Ohhhh." She puts her hands on her head, and then sidles towards a tree. "I'm gonna go find some more help. Be right back!", she adds, before taking off into the woods.

Well, who better to help than some neighbors? She looks around, seeing if she can find some denizens of the forest who might be helpful! Plus, it keeps her out of Cory's sight for a moment. She didn't quite get why that was a big deal, but if Alma thought it was important, maybe she should? That runs through her mind as she wanders amongst the trees, her red eyes looking around.

"Ah I- I'll go with you!" Alma exclaimed, chasing after Tsukimi as she ran into the woods. After they were out of sight of the boys she let out a sigh of relief.

"Sorry, I was afraid Cory would think you were a monster or something, and who knows what he would do with something sharp in his hands. Boys think they need to beat up everything weird all the time. It's weird."

Following Tsukimi's gaze, she looked around the wooded path they were on.

"Were you serious about finding help out here? I don't think there are any people but..."

Suddenly, an idea seemed to strike her and her face lit up with innocent excitement: "Hey hey hey can you talk to animals? That would be the coolest thing ever! Is that one of your magic powers?"

Tricky posted:

I look at Alma as she hugs Tsukimi's head and then Tsukimi runs into the forest and... What's going on?? Am I missing something? Who's in the woods? Friends?? I shake my head, my hair bouncing all over, then I look at the pokey with a determined expression. I'm gonna clean this shrine sooooooo good!

I sidle over to Cory and the boys and hold out the pokey triumphantly, "I bet..." They liked bets and challenges, right?? "...that I can clean more of the shrine!! It's a challenge!!" A huge grin is on my face. This was fun! Challenges and based balls and pokeys... so interesting!!

Cory, distracted from Alma's strange behavior by the declaration of challenge, was all too eager. Though Kumo totally whupped his butt at the home-run contest, he wasn't about to lose to a girl twice in the same day!

"You got yourself a challenge!"

Seizing two hand sickles, he began charging through the long weeds, swiping with both hands.

"Check it out! I'm Getter Robo! GEEETTTTTAAAAAAAA TOMAHOOOOOOOOOKU!" he yelled, as he became a (quite dangerous) cloud of silvery flashing blades.

Some of the boys nearby stood back so as not to get caught up in the dangerous display, commenting:

"You know chopping the heads off the weeds isn't going to do anything, right? You actually have to pull the roots out of the ground."

But apparently Getter Robo didn't concern itself with such small details.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Anybody can talk to animals!", Tsukimi proclaims. "Um... that doesn't mean they understand... or talk back...", she clarifies. "But don't worry, I know how I can get them to help if we have to!" She moves a little more quietly and slowly. "C'monnn." Her red eyes shift a bit back and forth as she keeps an eye out. What animal would they run into first...?

Giving a dream to Kumo! for holding down the fort and a dream to Cory for having Getter Guts!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Dreams: 4 | Wonder: 7 | Feelings: 9

For a moment, all I can do is stare in awe as Cory whacks all the weeds! Sooooo coool! I shake my head and look at my pokey with determination. I'm not going to loose either! I don't think mine is a good choppy-thing like his, though, it looks like it digs. Like my paws! I skip over to the nearest patch of weeds and stab at them with the pokey. It gets stuck in the dirt pretty good, but when I lever it out a whole bunch of weed comes out with it. Wow!! I didn't realize they were so big!

I look over at Cory, a big smile on my face, "I'm Kumo!! Kuuuuuuuuuumo Pokey!!" This was such a fun game! I wanted to dig and dig and then bury that ball and then dig it up...

Dream to Tsukimi for totally knowing how this all works! ...Probably! And, of course, another dream to Cory for having excellent taste in robot role models!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yuu

Yuu's frown deepens.

"You've got a lot of nerve talking down to me, child." Yuu crosses his arms over the day-glo logo on his shirt. "And if you're that lazy, you can't be a very good teacher."

He turns to the girl. "Mary, right? You seem like you actually care about things. Help me to help the town, and I'll help you by imparting some of my brilliance in exchange.

"For instance!" Yuu's frown disappears, replaced by a toothy grin. "Did you know it's possible to both clean and receive a lecture at the same time? It's true! And it's only a small sample of the amazing things I can teach you. History, especially."

He holds out a hand to Mary. "What do you say?"

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Nene raises an eyebrow at her little companion, ears twitching, before shrugging and skipping over to her new friend.

"That book looks swell! What's it about, dragons and things? Mind if I join you?"

And then she spins in the spot three times before plopping down beside her chair.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Shrine

Alien Rope Burn posted:

"Anybody can talk to animals!", Tsukimi proclaims. "Um... that doesn't mean they understand... or talk back...", she clarifies. "But don't worry, I know how I can get them to help if we have to!" She moves a little more quietly and slowly. "C'monnn." Her red eyes shift a bit back and forth as she keeps an eye out. What animal would they run into first...?

"For real! That's so awesome!" Alma exclaimed, pumping her fists in delight at the prospect of recruiting an animal army to help them weed the shrine. She, too, kept her eyes peeled for the first sign of animal life. At the sight of a brown-coated rabbit nibbling at greens in the underbrush, she bit back a yelp of joy and grabbed Tsukimi's arm. Pointing, she whispered (trying very hard to not make too much noise):

"Look looook, it's a rabbit! Can you get the rabbit to help us?"

Starry-eyed, she looked expectantly at Tsukimi.

Tricky posted:

For a moment, all I can do is stare in awe as Cory whacks all the weeds! Sooooo coool! I shake my head and look at my pokey with determination. I'm not going to loose either! I don't think mine is a good choppy-thing like his, though, it looks like it digs. Like my paws! I skip over to the nearest patch of weeds and stab at them with the pokey. It gets stuck in the dirt pretty good, but when I lever it out a whole bunch of weed comes out with it. Wow!! I didn't realize they were so big!

I look over at Cory, a big smile on my face, "I'm Kumo!! Kuuuuuuuuuumo Pokey!!" This was such a fun game! I wanted to dig and dig and then bury that ball and then dig it up...

While Cory and Kumo continued their energetic contest, some of the boys who had followed Cory were beginning to slack off. A few of them were already leaning against the shrine fence or even laying on their backs watching the clouds in the areas that had already been cleared. Catching sight of them, Cory dashed over.

"Hey guys what gives? We gotta help clean the shrine!"

"No way, we just came so we could get our ball back," one of the boys said, mopping sweat off his forehead with his sleeve. "It's too hot to weed, and this is soooooo boring!"
"Yeah," said another, "and how come no one else is coming yet? I thought we were supposed to get help soon?"

Other mutinous rumbles began to spread among the boys.

"Hey c'mon guys, we can't back out on our word now," Cory said. His words didn't have much effect on the boys, and he turned with a chagrined face to Kumo, hoping she might have some way to turn the boys' moods around.

Library

grassy gnoll posted:

Yuu

Yuu's frown deepens.
"You've got a lot of nerve talking down to me, child." Yuu crosses his arms over the day-glo logo on his shirt. "And if you're that lazy, you can't be a very good teacher."
He turns to the girl. "Mary, right? You seem like you actually care about things. Help me to help the town, and I'll help you by imparting some of my brilliance in exchange.
"For instance!" Yuu's frown disappears, replaced by a toothy grin. "Did you know it's possible to both clean and receive a lecture at the same time? It's true! And it's only a small sample of the amazing things I can teach you. History, especially."
He holds out a hand to Mary. "What do you say?"

"Um... I..." Mary looked (rather miserably) at the offered hand, then back to Matthew. Then the hand. Then Matthew. Her face wilted even further. Finally, she said, very forlornly:
"I really want to stay and hear Matthew's lecture. I'm sorry. Could I help later, maybe? Or, maybe we could clean the shrine some other day?"

Matthew, who was ignoring any further protests from Yuu, smiled triumphantly when Mary said she would stay, but then frowned when she suggested cleaning the shrine at a different time.

"Oh let the shrine go to ruin," he said. "Why should you or anyone else clean it? No one goes there anymore, and it's not like cleaning it will bring any benefit to anyone. The weeds will just grow back, and we're not going to get any tourists coming here to look at an old run-down shrine."

Mary had trouble meeting Matthew's eyes, and blushed under his direct stare, but she tightened one hand into a soft fist and held it to her chest as if to gain courage to speak her mind.

"W-we could pray to Yotsuba for good luck in our studies. I used to always go and pray there before big tests, and I always ended up getting good marks. If we're all really serious about passing these tests, some help from Yotsuba couldn't hurt."

Matthew scoffed.

"You passed those tests because you came over to my house and studied with me all the time. It's a sign you're a good student with a good head, not some magical blessing."

Here Matthew averted his eyes a little from everyone, and the light reflecting from his glasses made it impossible to see the expression in his eyes.

"You're too old to believe in magic, Mary. There's no such thing. Now let's just forget all about it and go back to our lesson."

However, after saying that, Matthew did not immediately begin teaching again, and a heavy silence settled over the table as he seemed to look off into the distance, lost in thought.

Jade Mage posted:

Nene raises an eyebrow at her little companion, ears twitching, before shrugging and skipping over to her new friend.
"That book looks swell! What's it about, dragons and things? Mind if I join you?"
And then she spins in the spot three times before plopping down beside her chair.

"Oh, do you like fantasy?" the girl said, perking up immediately with a big smile on her face. She happily showed Nene the book-cover, which was titled: Darkblud Deathblade and the Dragon Princess. The girl's eyes sparkled as she expounded on the subject: "It's the newest Deathblade book! They're so amazing. I wish I could meet a real life barbarian someday, or a dragon! Father says I shouldn't be reading these sorts of books, so I have to read them here at the library instead of taking them home. I have a lot of fantasy books at home, though. Have you read much fantasy? I love Terry Brooks and Tolkein. How about you?"

It was obvious the girl had lived a rather sheltered life and didn't get many opportunities to talk with others. Her face beamed with the thought of making a new friend. So excited was she that all thoughts of the weighty argument happening mere paces away flew from her head, and she was off in her own little world with Nene.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Shhh.", Tsukimi says to Alma, creeping up, before then just saying, "Hey, 'sup?", to the rabbit before hooking her thumbs into her obi. "Ah, don't worry about the human, she's just here to watch. We need some help eating up some weeds! Well, humans call them weeds, but we know better, ha ha. One of the local gods is asking for our help fixing their holy place, I need to see if we can get some clover or dandelions or other greens et up. Do you know where any of the others are? If we could get a bunch together, we could munch up the spot lickety-split."

A slight pause. "Pleeease?"

Let me know if a check is going to be required, but Tsukimi is good at begging others for help, if nothing else.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I look between Corey and the other boys. They didn't seem happy. Wasn't this fun? We were having fun, right? But... Hmmmm... What can I do to keep them from leaving? I just know that Yuu and Nene are going to bring more friends soon. Tsukimi is probably going to be back real soon too! I wipe my forehead — it's really weird sweating! — and think real hard. Maybe they'd be happy if I got them something cool and delicious! I don't know where I'd get that, but... Well! I bet that old guy, what's-his-name, would probably have something like that!! Won't he be so happy that we're cleaning up the shrine? I bet he will be! So many nice, cold drinks~!

I ruffle my hair and say, "Hmmm! It is pretty hot... Maybe we can take a quick break? I'll find some drinks for everyone and I bet we'll have more friends here soon!"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yuu

Dreams: 2 | Wonder: 7 | Feelings: 7

Yuu's face scrunches up like he just got served a spoiled glass of milk.

"I might have forgiven you for your insolent behavior," he says. There's a weird quavering in his voice. "But besmirching Miss Yotsuba and all she's done for this town is beyond the pale."

He shoves his face into Matt's, and hisses out his words. "I have half a mind to make you...disappear."

A whirling, roiling effect rises up from Yuu's feet and over the top of his head in just a heartbeat, and as it passes, he vanishes from sight.

Yuu's gonna jump on that landmine with both feet, and spends 4 each of Wonder and Feelings to use Invisibility. This cannot in any way end poorly.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Nene looks at the book cover... Then at Yuu's speech. She sighs and her ears flatten.

Back to her new friend though! Nene puts a hand on her chin thoughtfully "That's a scary name. Nah, I don't read much, I have enough fantasy in my life. I mean, look at these fluffy ears and tail, who wouldn't want to be a tanuki? Me and the fox-boy in a fight with Mr Specs over there came to get people to help our fantastical goddess, Yotsuba!"

She looks at Alice. "Oh, and this is another friend, she's Alice, we played Jungle Adventurers and watched a basing ball game... Well, she did, I took a nap. I'm Nene by the way, what's your name Dragon Princess?"

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Dream to Yuu for making things difficult for me in a totally fun way.

Shrine Team

Alien Rope Burn posted:

"Shhh.", Tsukimi says to Alma, creeping up, before then just saying, "Hey, 'sup?", to the rabbit before hooking her thumbs into her obi. "Ah, don't worry about the human, she's just here to watch. We need some help eating up some weeds! Well, humans call them weeds, but we know better, ha ha. One of the local gods is asking for our help fixing their holy place, I need to see if we can get some clover or dandelions or other greens et up. Do you know where any of the others are? If we could get a bunch together, we could munch up the spot lickety-split."

A slight pause. "Pleeease?"

The rabbit cocked its head to one side as if listening intently, then wiggled its nose in thought. Then it waggled the tip of one ear and hopped off into the undergrowth. After a moment's pause there was a large rustling from that direction, and a small herd of rabbits hopped by, heading in the direction of the shrine. They all knew Yotsbua; she was the heart of the area. Though they weren't terribly inclined to do much to help the humans of the area out, there was nothing wrong with getting a free meal and paying respect to the local deity at the same time.

Alma yelped with surprise when the bunnies went hopping by, then she grabbed Tsukimi's arm and hugged it tight, jumping up and down herself.

"That was totally amazing! You are the coolest ever!"

Tricky posted:

I look between Corey and the other boys. They didn't seem happy. Wasn't this fun? We were having fun, right? But... Hmmmm... What can I do to keep them from leaving? I just know that Yuu and Nene are going to bring more friends soon. Tsukimi is probably going to be back real soon too! I wipe my forehead — it's really weird sweating! — and think real hard. Maybe they'd be happy if I got them something cool and delicious! I don't know where I'd get that, but... Well! I bet that old guy, what's-his-name, would probably have something like that!! Won't he be so happy that we're cleaning up the shrine? I bet he will be! So many nice, cold drinks~!

I ruffle my hair and say, "Hmmm! It is pretty hot... Maybe we can take a quick break? I'll find some drinks for everyone and I bet we'll have more friends here soon!"

"We're just here for our ball!"
"Yeah! You hit our ball over here so why don't you find it?"

Voices of dissent greeted Kumo's proposal. Some of the kids really just wanted to get back to playing ball, regardless of whether that meant deserting their leader or not. However, just as these angry mumbles began to spread among the boys, despite Cory's best efforts to shout them down, a sudden shout of surprise caught everyone's attention.

"What the heck?" a boy cried, astounded, as he pointed with a shaking finger at a great rustling among the long weeds. Carefully, some of the nearby boys crept forward only to find the source of the rustling was...

"Rabbits? And... they're eating the weeds?"

Dumbfounded, the boys could do nothing but stare in goggle-eyed astonishment at the efficiently working knot of helpful rabbits.

grassy gnoll posted:

Yuu

Yuu's face scrunches up like he just got served a spoiled glass of milk.

"I might have forgiven you for your insolent behavior," he says. There's a weird quavering in his voice. "But besmirching Miss Yotsuba and all she's done for this town is beyond the pale."

He shoves his face into Matt's, and hisses out his words. "I have half a mind to make you...disappear."

A whirling, roiling effect rises up from Yuu's feet and over the top of his head in just a heartbeat, and as it passes, he vanishes from sight.

Yuu's gonna jump on that landmine with both feet, and spends 4 each of Wonder and Feelings to use Invisibility. This cannot in any way end poorly.

There was a stunned silence. Then a loud clatter as a student who had been leaning back in his seat forgot his balance in astonishment and went tumbling over with the chair. This seemed to snap Matthew out of it, and he immediately began waving his hands in the air where Yuu had just been.

"Mirrors? No, how would he have set it up... Then, mass hypnosis? No, the clocks haven't moved forward, unless he also adjusted the time..."

His eyes flicked left and right as he muttered to himself, almost feverishly.

"M... Matthew, are you okay?" Mary asked, the wonder and surprise on her face from the vanishing trick replaced with worry at the bizarre state of the older boy.

"But what was the trick all for... just to show he could? Wait, he mentioned the shrine, so..."
Ignoring Mary, or perhaps not even managing to hear her in his current state, Matthew adjusted his glasses. There was something almost childish in the excitement in his eyes, and his voice trembled as he spoke, as if he was having trouble keeping himself under control.

"Magic? He thinks a little trick like this will make me believe in magic? I-i-impossible... C-can't be such a thing as magic. It was a challenge..."
Here he finally looked at Mary, and she was a bit taken aback by the intensity in his eyes. She was also surprised at seeing him so excited. In all the years she had known him, she had never seen Matthew show such an expression of glee.

"It's a challenge Mary! A challenge! He wants me to come to the shrine and solve his little tricks! He's challenging me to prove that magic's not real! Well I accept his challenge! I refuse to accept the existence of any magic unless I see some real p-p-proof! Come on, then, there's not a moment to lose! I'm sure he's already on his way to await us at the shrine! Ohhhh, he'll be sorry, challenging me to a mind game!"

Clapping and rubbing his hands together, Matthew turned to go.

"Uh, what about studying?" one of the students asked.

Matthew looked at him as if he was insane.

"Studying? How could studying possibly be more important than this? This is real magic!" he said. Then he coughed, and added: "I mean, the disproving of magic, of course. Ahem. Anyway, let's go!"

Mary was only too happy to stand up and follow, though the other students still looked at each other skeptically and made no move to follow.

Jade Mage posted:

Nene looks at the book cover... Then at Yuu's speech. She sighs and her ears flatten.

Back to her new friend though! Nene puts a hand on her chin thoughtfully "That's a scary name. Nah, I don't read much, I have enough fantasy in my life. I mean, look at these fluffy ears and tail, who wouldn't want to be a tanuki? Me and the fox-boy in a fight with Mr Specs over there came to get people to help our fantastical goddess, Yotsuba!"

She looks at Alice. "Oh, and this is another friend, she's Alice, we played Jungle Adventurers and watched a basing ball game... Well, she did, I took a nap. I'm Nene by the way, what's your name Dragon Princess?"

The girl's eyes lit up when Nene mentioned tanuki and a fantastical goddess.

"Oh that's wonderful! A real life fantasy!"

She then carefully put a bookmark in her book, stood and gave Nene a polite little curtsy.

"My name is Lily. It's a pleasure to meet you Nene."

"Hi Lily," Alice said, avoiding meeting Lily's eyes.

"Hi Alice," Lily returned, also carefully avoiding looking at the other girl. For some reason, the air between the two was very heavy, and it didn't seem as though it was their first time meeting.
It was Lily who broke the awkward silence.
"Um, Nene, what does the Goddess need help with? If it's something I can do, I'd like to help."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yuu

Dreams: 3 | Wonder: 7 | Feelings: 7

Beneath his cloak of invisibility, Yuu's jaw goes slack, and a miracle happens: he is struck temporarily speechless.

An unearthly event takes place for those who remain to witness it. "No," screeches a disembodied voice. "You're not supposed to be interested! You're supposed to be scared! I am mighty, I am terrifying, I-"

Someone across the library emits a loud shushing sound, and the voice cuts off. There is the suggestion of the sound of feet stamping around in a circle, then sprinting for the door. The sound changes as it travels, from the clomping of shoes to the patter of little paws. The library door bounds open once, then swings closed.

Yuu turns back into a fox, forgets he's still invisible, and tries to be the humans to the shrine. He's probably out of the scene now.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Beaming, Tsukimi rubs the back of her neck. "Maybe just a little, hehe!" Still, she follows after, peeking around a tree to watch. Trying to explain it would probably make things more complicated. Best to leave it as a divine sign or strangeness and not complicate things, right? Perhaps that's a bit troublingly mature of her. But... her ears were still showing. And it was funny to watch!

This was working out!

Giving a dream to Alma for the ego massage!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I look back and forth at the crowd of boys, shrinking backward under the complaints, and stammer, "I, uhm, uh—" This wasn't right. Was it? I was just trying to help and... Did I do something bad? Was I a bad dog?

I feel my eyes growing wet with tears as I shuffle backwards and, even as I hear someone shout, I turn and run towards the far side of the shrine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Nene senses the tension between the girls and her mind goes to where it always goes.

"You know what we need? Snacks! Dragon princess, jungle adventurer, either of you know where we can get some awesome grub?"

Hopefully snack time will put them at ease, it always works for Nene!

• Locked thread