Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Back in September India witnessed what was likely the largest general strike in human history.

There's rumors floating around the internet of a general strike in the US to protest the present administration - February 17th is the most common date I've seen on the Tweet machine, but SEIU West is openly advocating a general strike for May Day - Facebook Event here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
for people worried about losing their jobs, you may already qualify for sick leave that your employer hasn't told you about. This appears to be a little outdated but please see this map or do some googling about your local municipality

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/legal-and-compliance/state-and-local-updates/pages/paid-sick-leave-laws-by-state.aspx

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
I hope it's not May Day because I wanted to organize a big DSA barbecue that day :effort:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

unbutthurtable posted:

I hope it's not May Day because I wanted to organize a big DSA barbecue that day :effort:

sounds like a good thing for people to attend instead of...going to work

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

im definitely on strike on may day this year

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Doesn't a General Strike have to last more than one day to be effective?

GalacticAcid posted:

sounds like a good thing for people to attend instead of...going to work

:aaa:

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i will bravely stay out of work on friday february 17th as i am not scheduled on fridays

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
I'm going to be a scab.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Harrower posted:

I'm going to be a scab.

I'm going to pick at the scabs

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dreddout posted:

Doesn't a General Strike have to last more than one day to be effective?

:aaa:

The facebook event is for three days and I've seen other organizers say that three days is pretty much the minimum if you want to have an actual economic impact although since its a friday who knows

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
General Strikes in the USA have a huge impact-

Just go ahead and name the last one that happened, and how much you cared while it was going on.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
what's your point

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

I'm unemployed thanks Obama

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

revdrkevind posted:

Just go ahead and name the last one that happened, and how much you cared while it was going on.

general strikes used to be a big deal

back when they lasted months rather than hours, and were able to shut down entire industries because they were coordinated by powerful unions in heavily unionized industries

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I'm thinking this may end of more of a colonel strike, but hoping for the best

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Al! posted:

for people worried about losing their jobs, you may already qualify for sick leave that your employer hasn't told you about. This appears to be a little outdated but please see this map or do some googling about your local municipality

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/legal-and-compliance/state-and-local-updates/pages/paid-sick-leave-laws-by-state.aspx

before legalizing marijuana for recreational use ( btw in case u didnt kno) the mandate for paid medical leave for all F/T employees was the best thing thats happened politically in this state in years (since we passed our own health insurance reform, first in the nation to do so :hai: )

what was i talkin about again? oh yes, if u get entitled to these such benefits u are a fool not to use them 100% each and every year (it's like double vacation time that way) - as the law prohibits any kind of disciplinary action due to medical absense :q:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

revdrkevind posted:

if we don't know when the last one happened why would we know how much we cared

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Chokes McGee posted:

if we don't know when the last one happened why would we know how much we cared

Correct! The answer is nobody remembers, because nobody cares. Don't have a general strike, unless you like pointless gestures.

It was Occupy Oakland in 2011. They shut down the port at Oakland, and the entire town, for a day. This was a big goddamn deal, and they probably could have gone longer, but absolutely nobody gave a poo poo. The More You Know.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
yeah i am sure it would go over well if hospitals shut down

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

reagan posted:

yeah i am sure it would go over well if hospitals shut down

what's the worst that can happen it's not like the police would use excessive and unnecessary violhahahahahahaha nope can't do it

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

revdrkevind posted:

Correct! The answer is nobody remembers, because nobody cares. Don't have a general strike, unless you like pointless gestures.

It was Occupy Oakland in 2011. They shut down the port at Oakland, and the entire town, for a day. This was a big goddamn deal, and they probably could have gone longer, but absolutely nobody gave a poo poo. The More You Know.

this reflects more on the fact that nobody cares about oakland

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

I've been on strike since '06 get on my level, hillaryposters.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Peanut President posted:

I've been on strike since 1776 get on my, level royalists.

:911:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

revdrkevind posted:

a good general strike needs to shut down every port, not just one port. or at least every port on that coast. and ideally they would do it for weeks, not hours

it's trivial to reroute traffic from a single port, especially when it's just a short-term shutdown that ends when everyone gets hungry and goes home to their mothers' basements

also, the Occupy Oakland march was neither "general" nor a "strike". it was just protesters blocking the roads in and out of the port so traffic couldn't enter or leave. and it didn't last "an entire day" either - it started in the evening and lasted a few hours, with the main objective of disrupting the shift change and preventing evening-shift workers from entering

the reason nobody gave a poo poo about the Occupy Oakland "strike" is because it wasn't a strike at all. the port workers didn't strike, and neither did any other industry's workers.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Hell yeah!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
It sounds like a bunch of professionals play-acting at labor militancy. Better get to work organizing working-class people and maybe we can have a real general strike in two or three years.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The clearest illustration of the fact that this "general strike" is a laughable charade put on by liberal opportunists who have never participated in any sort of labor action before is the fact that they've got Trump's tax returns on there as a demand but nothing about wages, working conditions, etc. The sentiment would be noble, if it weren't so obviously exploitative.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

The clearest illustration of the fact that this "general strike" is a laughable charade put on by liberal opportunists who have never participated in any sort of labor action before is the fact that they've got Trump's tax returns on there as a demand but nothing about wages, working conditions, etc. The sentiment would be noble, if it weren't so obviously exploitative.

it's on a Friday

you really stick to folks if you strike on a Tuesday or a Wednesday, those are the big shipping days :shrug:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Alex Gourevitch makes a number of the same points as DOCTOR ZIMBARDO does here (this was linked to in a brief Baffler write-up.

Especially agree with this segment:

quote:

Or is the point just a generalized ‘No’? A massive expression of discontent? None of the significant costs of a general strike are worth it if it’s just a grand gesture of refusal.

On one version, the point of the strike is to affirm a grab-bag of demands: no to the immigration ban, yes to universal health care, no to pipelines, no to global gag rule and, inexplicably, a final demand that Trump reveal his tax returns. These demands show no evidence of thinking about what the immediate interests of workers might actually be – no mention of proposed national right-to-work legislation, $15 minimum wage demands, or even Trump’s terrible Labor Secretary pick. Trump’s nationalist and deeply inegalitarian economic ‘plan’ at least acknowledges the need to address bad employment prospects and stagnant wages.

It would be reasonable for workers to dismiss the call for a general strike. It looks like they are being asked to be actors in someone else’s drama, by people who just cottoned on to the fact that things are lovely out there.

Moreover, even moderately effective general strikes don’t emerge, willy-nilly, like miraculous interventions into national life. They are intensifications and radicalizations of already existing patterns of resistance by the working class. This demand for a general strike looks less like that intensification and more like an attempt to leapfrog all the hard, long-term political work that goes before.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
btw has anyone attempted an effort thread about the state of the American labor movement? Threads come and go so fast on C-SPAM and I don't feel like looking back a few pages

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

btw has anyone attempted an effort thread about the state of the American labor movement? Threads come and go so fast on C-SPAM and I don't feel like looking back a few pages

What's there to effort post about? Isn't it that the large union's members are mostly all pro-Trump now, and the leaders are staying quiet because they feel like they actually can't blame them?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
no

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
i mean poo poo the only reason Nevada stayed blue is the strength of the service industry unions there lol, basically only segments of the Trades and the cops + corrections officers swung to Trump

there might have been a slight shift among the UAW due to TPP but i'm not certain of that - basically union membership is way down in Upper Midwest thanks to Rick Snyder and Scott Walker on top of the long term trends. regardless, major leadership of AFT, SEIU, AFL-CIO, Teamsters, UAW, etc area ll stridently anti-Trump

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

GalacticAcid posted:

we dont need to because :smith: already exists

mgreen42
Oct 22, 2002

GalacticAcid posted:

i mean poo poo the only reason Nevada stayed blue is the strength of the service industry unions there lol, basically only segments of the Trades and the cops + corrections officers swung to Trump

there might have been a slight shift among the UAW due to TPP but i'm not certain of that - basically union membership is way down in Upper Midwest thanks to Rick Snyder and Scott Walker on top of the long term trends. regardless, major leadership of AFT, SEIU, AFL-CIO, Teamsters, UAW, etc area ll stridently anti-Trump

Nah, the Mahoning Valley/Youngstown went red at the Presidential level for the first time since '72 - and we killed SB5 (Kasich's version of the Wisconsin bill).

There was a "slight" shift due to TPP/NAFTA in the same way that the Clinton campaign was "slightly" inept...

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

breaklaw posted:

What's there to effort post about? Isn't it that the large union's members are mostly all pro-Trump now, and the leaders are staying quiet because they feel like they actually can't blame them?

This is not really true. Some unions - especially those that represent government employees involved in law enforcement -- endorsed Trump in a reflection of their membership. Other unions - like certain trades and maybe the Teamsters -- have also seen many of their (white) members going over to Trump. Some unions - perhaps most notably the NYC taxi union - have taken more militant steps against specific things of Trump's agenda. But the biggest labor federations all remain very much opposed to Trump since they've all done a lot to diversify their membership and economic composition over the last 20 years.

The state of unions in the USA right now is abysmal and getting weaker. The national union offices are on the verge of cutting their spending by about one-third, reflecting their increasingly dire financial position. At some point in the next two years the Republican congress is likely to attempt national right-to-work legislation, which combined with the continued erosion of membership, will put unions on the weakest footing they've been since the turn of the twentieth century.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

This is not really true. Some unions - especially those that represent government employees involved in law enforcement -- endorsed Trump in a reflection of their membership. Other unions - like certain trades and maybe the Teamsters -- have also seen many of their (white) members going over to Trump. Some unions - perhaps most notably the NYC taxi union - have taken more militant steps against specific things of Trump's agenda. But the biggest labor federations all remain very much opposed to Trump since they've all done a lot to diversify their membership and economic composition over the last 20 years.

The state of unions in the USA right now is abysmal and getting weaker. The national union offices are on the verge of cutting their spending by about one-third, reflecting their increasingly dire financial position. At some point in the next two years the Republican congress is likely to attempt national right-to-work legislation, which combined with the continued erosion of membership, will put unions on the weakest footing they've been since the turn of the twentieth century.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/785?r=9

Red Dad Redemption has issued a correction as of 23:52 on Feb 6, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I bet the strike is so successful they close the banks on Monday.

• Locked thread