Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

revdrkevind posted:

General Strikes in the USA have a huge impact-

Just go ahead and name the last one that happened, and how much you cared while it was going on.

if we don't know when the last one happened why would we know how much we cared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

reagan posted:

yeah i am sure it would go over well if hospitals shut down

what's the worst that can happen it's not like the police would use excessive and unnecessary violhahahahahahaha nope can't do it

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
the real power to everyone taking the day off is it shuts down everything everywhere if successful, even for a day. That definitely makes a statement regardless of whether or not you're taking vacation days. So, a general strike on April 1st would still be incredibly effective no matter how it's handled internally

as pointed out the real issue is that it's the people without vacation days and in horrible shithole exploitative industries/workplaces that will lose their job and make the situation a million times worse while white collar guys are all "well that worked well and no one suffered because of it, we win :downs:"

it's something I feel can happen and be very effective but it's difficult to have any sort of credibility saying that when I'm not the one who will get my head shat on so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

jarofpiss posted:

a general boycott would be more effective, safer for workers, actually make sense, and accomplish the goals of this "strike"

this strike thing is a facbook thing that has no serious organized labor participation and is made by people that dont know what the hell organized labor is or does or how to organize beyond making a facebook event. it deserves to be mocked even if the intentions are in the right place.

right

hypothetically speaking it'd have legs but :laffo: no chance of happening

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Agean90 posted:

the boycott or the general strike? Cause a boycott was pretty effective against Uber

strike. I've been on board with the boycott from day one, if nothing else it's made me cook more and stop stuffing my fat fat face with Jimmy John's

johnson & johnson was the one that surprised me though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

What would really scare business is if everyone just started passing out union cards at their work.

so many people fired

so many

• Locked thread