Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big business man
Sep 30, 2012

the entire idea of a one day 'general strike' is so completely loving pointless

what i would like to see is an actual general strike if (and when) the feds start really going after unions. we should have fuckin done it during the fiasco in Wisconsin, but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

gobbagool posted:

there's less solidarity between Gov unions and private sector unions than you might imagine

I definitely realize it, I deal with it literally every day

There's a myriad of highschool-level "drama" between the labor unions. See: the building trades vs basically everyone, Teamsters vs. AFL-CIO, etc etc etc

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Agean90 posted:

I'm curious what walmart would do if half of thier stateside Wal-Mart's unionized at the same time. would they suck it up or would they cut themselves in half? What about 90%?

hard to say, but if the labor movement could simultaneously hold elections (and win them) at even 10% of the Walmarts nationwide I would cry tears of joy. it's hard to put into words how difficult that would be

this is a really good interview with probably one of the best union organizers alive today:

https://www.thenation.com/article/labor-movement-must-learn/

On strikes posted:

It means 90 percent or more of the workers walk off the job. If you want to win, we say, you have to create a significant crisis for the employer. A strike where one worker at the fast-food company stands outside for the press conference, surrounded by every liberal clergy member in town and a bunch of great activists who you’ve Facebooked and tweeted, and they showed up because they think it’s morally the right thing to do—which it is—is not a strike. It’s what I call “pretend power.” Fooling ourselves with pretend-power gimmicks has resulted in 32 state legislatures flipping red, 34 Republican governors, and Trump in the White House.

• Locked thread