Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Back in September India witnessed what was likely the largest general strike in human history.

There's rumors floating around the internet of a general strike in the US to protest the present administration - February 17th is the most common date I've seen on the Tweet machine, but SEIU West is openly advocating a general strike for May Day - Facebook Event here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

unbutthurtable posted:

I hope it's not May Day because I wanted to organize a big DSA barbecue that day :effort:

sounds like a good thing for people to attend instead of...going to work

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
what's your point

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Alex Gourevitch makes a number of the same points as DOCTOR ZIMBARDO does here (this was linked to in a brief Baffler write-up.

Especially agree with this segment:

quote:

Or is the point just a generalized ‘No’? A massive expression of discontent? None of the significant costs of a general strike are worth it if it’s just a grand gesture of refusal.

On one version, the point of the strike is to affirm a grab-bag of demands: no to the immigration ban, yes to universal health care, no to pipelines, no to global gag rule and, inexplicably, a final demand that Trump reveal his tax returns. These demands show no evidence of thinking about what the immediate interests of workers might actually be – no mention of proposed national right-to-work legislation, $15 minimum wage demands, or even Trump’s terrible Labor Secretary pick. Trump’s nationalist and deeply inegalitarian economic ‘plan’ at least acknowledges the need to address bad employment prospects and stagnant wages.

It would be reasonable for workers to dismiss the call for a general strike. It looks like they are being asked to be actors in someone else’s drama, by people who just cottoned on to the fact that things are lovely out there.

Moreover, even moderately effective general strikes don’t emerge, willy-nilly, like miraculous interventions into national life. They are intensifications and radicalizations of already existing patterns of resistance by the working class. This demand for a general strike looks less like that intensification and more like an attempt to leapfrog all the hard, long-term political work that goes before.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
btw has anyone attempted an effort thread about the state of the American labor movement? Threads come and go so fast on C-SPAM and I don't feel like looking back a few pages

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
no

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
i mean poo poo the only reason Nevada stayed blue is the strength of the service industry unions there lol, basically only segments of the Trades and the cops + corrections officers swung to Trump

there might have been a slight shift among the UAW due to TPP but i'm not certain of that - basically union membership is way down in Upper Midwest thanks to Rick Snyder and Scott Walker on top of the long term trends. regardless, major leadership of AFT, SEIU, AFL-CIO, Teamsters, UAW, etc area ll stridently anti-Trump

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
My take is that...the strike is not going to happen and if it does it will just be professional class people and retirees taking personal days and doing a lovely march with signs about DRUMPF

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/voces_milwaukee/status/831207997804273666

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Immigrants plan to walk off their Philly restaurant jobs on Feb. 16

quote:

“It’s not a strike,” said Carlos Aparicio, who oversees three Philly restaurants and one in DC as corporate chef for the Zavino Restaurant Group. “It’s not coming to work to make an impact and show how important the immigrant community is to the whole country.”

He believes a majority of his immigrant staff will stay home from work on Thursday, although the decision wasn’t easy.

"Not a strike" 🤔🤔

• Locked thread