Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
every time you do a grenade range, the people running the range tell you about 100 times that you will not watch your throw. you will 'remove the thumb clip, pull pin, get in the throwing position, throw and then take a knee'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Two Finger posted:

Why did he gently caress him up?

Probably because he's a blow hard dickhead who hates his existence but is too dumb to do anything else in life.

Yeah, give him a shove or yell at him or whatever but bowling people over like that in full gear is a good way to break bones and gently caress up joints.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

not caring here posted:

Yeah, give him a shove or yell at him or whatever but bowling people over like that in full gear is a good way to break bones and gently caress up joints.

And he will be medboarded and get full benefits for an injury that could have been easily avoided. Army!

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Bingo.

The only time that'd be acceptable is on a live range because grenades are loving dangerous.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Two Finger posted:

Why did he gently caress him up?

reload your rifle? get low. Throw a grenade? get low. If you're not actively killing people or maneuvering you need to get low.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Reverand maynard posted:

reload your rifle? get low. Throw a grenade? get low. If you're not actively killing people or maneuvering you need to get low.

I liked to get to the window or the wall

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Pesticide20 posted:

I liked to get to the window or the wall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5BXm38zrm0

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Man speaking of bootcamp the funniest poo poo I saw was this black kid at bootcamp with dreadlocks and they literally couldn't cut his hair. He spent a few days walking around in uniform with this cover perched on top of a solid feet of dreads.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Anyone have any good Stolen Valor stories? Any thoughts on dudes who confront some poser in a shopping mall food court and all that jazz?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

suboptimal posted:

Anyone have any good Stolen Valor stories? Any thoughts on dudes who confront some poser in a shopping mall food court and all that jazz?

Confronting people for stolen valor is just as retarded as stolen valor. It leads to all types of bullshit like Vietnam vets getting called liars and fakes in 2015. It's loving dumb, don't do either of them.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

suboptimal posted:

Unless the "stolen valor" is for direct govt financial benefits, yelling at some dude likely short a few fries of a happy meal in a hosed up uniform at the mall is like screaming at kids on Halloween that they aren't really batman.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Reverand maynard posted:

Man speaking of bootcamp the funniest poo poo I saw was this black kid at bootcamp with dreadlocks and they literally couldn't cut his hair. He spent a few days walking around in uniform with this cover perched on top of a solid feet of dreads.

My barber told me how one time he had to borrow a set of electric sheep shears to cut a guy's hair after he grew dreadlocks for about 18 years.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
That video of a private getting pushed over is funny and I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Because I'd be watching and laughing from my office

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

i think kff is the only actual marine left in gip because i was a disgusting reservist.

combat instructor probably sucks because its just as much of a time investment as a drill instructor.

I am not a smart man. But I do know what the Corps is.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

i think the part where you break your brain after 3 years at bootcamp is worse than the crackhead kermit.

Wait, they're drill sergeants for three years? Three loving years?

Don't they have insane working hours too?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

suboptimal posted:

A buddy and I were sitting at a bar a mile or so from our base. We were talking about work I guess, because some random dude next to us, looked to be in his late 20s, chimed in with
:downs:I was in the Air Force too!
:what::rolleyes: That's great man.
:downs: I was supposed to be an officer but my recruiter hosed me over.
:crossarms::crossarms: Go on...
:downs: I had my bachelor's degree and wanted to be an officer, so I went to a recruiter and he said that's what my contract was for. But when I got to training, it was for regular basic training not for officers.
:monocle::wtc: You thought you were commissioning and didn't realize until you were getting off the bus at Lackland?!?
:downs: Yeah. Turns out they decided my school didn't qualify so they didn't recognize my degree but the recruiter didn't tell me.
:what::what: So you went to an unaccredited college for four years, then accidentally enlisted in the Air Force.
:downs: Yeah.

For some reason the conversation ended at that point, probably either he left or we did. He seemed genuinely annoyed, but the story is so loving absurd and self-depricating I still don't know whether I believe it.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Reverand maynard posted:

I was infantry and did a deployment but my first two years were security forces jerking off to to the female ocean biologists that trained dolphins in Georgia.

Thank you for your service o7

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I got spartan kicked by my squad leader in full gear because he just watched the 300. That kid will be fine.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

I got spartan kicked by my squad leader in full gear because he just watched the 300. That kid will be fine.

There was a rumor that a nearby squadron in ch46s had been doing fast rope out at Pendleton and there was a crew chief Spartan kicking dudes out. This was within 2 months of the movie coming out.

Though it was I 46s so it's not like they could do anything you make them more dangerous for the passengers

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

Wait, they're drill sergeants for three years? Three loving years?

Don't they have insane working hours too?

Hours are absurd. Like 0430 to 1900 every single day of the week except for the day you have CQ then it's 24 hours and you get one recovery day where your circadian rhythm is so hosed you either sleep all day or you don't sleep a wink and then start the cycle anew the next day. They throw you a bone and allow one 4 day per cycle (about every two months) but holy hell I don't know how they do it for 3 loving years. When my noble rear end nopes out of there at 1700ish I look over my shoulder at the sunken eyes, horrible acne and loose skin you get from sustained sleep deprivation and just feel bad.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Drill Instructor is a two year tour in the Army. lovely job, the incentive pay isn't good enough, good for promotion if you don't lose your mind or get hemmed up doing something stupid or being credibly accused of doing something stupid. Cycle breaks give some reprieve but not much.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

mlmp08 posted:

Drill Instructor is a two year tour in the Army. lovely job, the incentive pay isn't good enough, good for promotion if you don't lose your mind or get hemmed up doing something stupid or being credibly accused of doing something stupid. Cycle breaks give some reprieve but not much.

Don't they have to sit around and clean the gently caress out of all their weapons and equipment during cycle breaks?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Flikken posted:

Don't they have to sit around and clean the gently caress out of all their weapons and equipment during cycle breaks?

That's what privates are for.

e: I don't say that to be a jerk. I say that because if you're in an overworked environment like that, there is no reason not to use all the freely available manpower to do menial tasks so that the drills can get other work done that you can't assign to privates.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

That's what privates are for.

e: I don't say that to be a jerk. I say that because if you're in an overworked environment like that, there is no reason not to use all the freely available manpower to do menial tasks so that the drills can get other work done that you can't assign to privates.

In cycle breaks there are no privates?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Flikken posted:

There are always holdovers and holdunders. Or borrow soldiers from next door.

Still, while there is work between cycle breaks, it's not as bad as a course in session.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Hell, there was an army thread poster a while back who got stuck as a holdover at Benning and eventually I think they just made him cadre. Dude was weird though and voluntarily ate MREs all the time.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Anansi the Spider. Pretty sure he was full of poo poo, though. His name is also taken from a story about bullshit.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Pesticide20 posted:

Hell, there was an army thread poster a while back who got stuck as a holdover at Benning and eventually I think they just made him cadre. Dude was weird though and voluntarily ate MREs all the time.

there was a guy living in our barracks in basic that graduated the cycle before but was being held over on intel background check since his wife was an immigrant

he was still there when we left

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Flikken posted:

in cycle breaks, weapons are in the armory and gear is at supply. there isn't anything to maintain.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You'd think maintenance would be the only thing the company XO would have to worry about. He can borrow brokedicks and recycles so the DSs can do other poo poo.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

I remember being told by a drill I knew that was what they did between cycles. *shrug*

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
worst/funniest thing a Drill Instructor said to you?

Former drills, worst recruit you ever had to chew out?

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
dumbest questions rarely get dumber...

Should I re-enlist? And if so, I want to be an officer in my previous MOS instead of an NCO watching joe mopping concrete and counting rocks.

I'm 32 prior service with 5 years active duty and 1 reserve. mos was 11B

e; going on close to 10 years out of service.

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 9, 2017

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

DumbparameciuM posted:

Wasn't a DI, but in my second tech school, the school house and dorms were in a very public and brutal fight over treatment of students at the dorms.

Instructor: We can't revise our courses because it would turn the 3 month course into 6. If students had to deal with that dorm bullshit for 6 months you would be jumping out of the third story windows .*

Shortly after I got to my first station, a bunch of us were called to testify before JAG/OSI/IG/whoever was dealing with that clusterfuck.

* - dorms were three story buildings

Kempo Yellow Belt posted:

dumbest questions rarely get dumber...

Should I re-enlist?

Seriously?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kempo Yellow Belt posted:

Should I re-enlist?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

or yes

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Never don't not reenlist.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Get several advanced degrees and then reenlist.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

enlist as a doctor

correct the drill sergeant to call you dr. private

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

DumbparameciuM posted:

"People like you are the reason doctors invented abortion"
"Too bad your dad was too cheap to pay your mother to swallow you"
"You're all so dumb you could gently caress up a wet dream"

• Locked thread