Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Zeroisanumber posted:

My dad did his basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood. Is it the worst place in the US or the worst place in the galaxy? Because the old man can't mention his time in the military without appending, "And gently caress Missouri" to every story.

I'll confirm that it's bad

Polk is also bad

most military bases are actually bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i went to leonard wood

i agree with your dad

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
29 palms is real bad

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

My dad did his basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood. Is it the worst place in the US or the worst place in the galaxy? Because the old man can't mention his time in the military without appending, "And gently caress Missouri" to every story.

I was at Whiteman AFB and can confirm, gently caress Missouri. I had a better time when I was stationed in Kabul than in Knob Noster, MO.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Edwards AFB is all right.

Most bases are just a giant magnet for poverty, pawn shops, and sketchy car title loan places.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

If your post is in/near an actual established city, it's okay.

If your post is the sole reason the surrounding area exists, it's going to suck.

The less time you spend on post, the better.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
carson and lewis are like the only two good army posts because they're posted in civilization or close enough to it

leonard wood is in the middle of loving nowhere in missouri

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Belvoir is nice if you can stomach being near DC and paying out the rear end for everything.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Los Angeles AFB loving owned, but it's literally just three office buildings in El Segundo. It was paradise for a single 2nd Lt.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Then again, if you're stationed near DC, you're probably not in a 'normal' military unit. More politics/paperwork, less field work and motorpools.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWuEBcBRkEM

The place where your did basic training/AIT/tech school/MOS school is always the worst place to be.

Biloxi, Mississippi, is the armpit of America, and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Arc Light posted:

The place where your did basic training/AIT/tech school/MOS school is always the worst place to be.

San Antonio was cool as hell.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Ft Leanard Wood had Luna moths which are one of the most horrifying animals I've ever had fly at my head.

I'm also a huge baby about bugs and poo poo, especially when they are bigger than my hand

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I went to Knox, so I cannot vouch for the shittiness of Leonard Wood.

We had stupid steep hills at Knox that there are many stories of drill sergeants having strokes and heart attacks on. Also it's entirely male except for the mustachioed woman at the company dfac. Knox sucks. Especially in the winter. Therefore, I nominate it worse than Leonard Wood.

Most fun I had there on a training exercise was land nav, because I paid attention and knew how to read a compass by 8 years old. And the course then had a view of the gold vault in the distance.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

I remember when the towers fell people were happy that we were going to war because it meant getting away from 29 Palms. During the invasion while we were still in jungle mopp suits in the goddamn sandy desert part of Iraq the XO would walk by the battery and let everyone know the temperature in the training area of 29. Usually 10+ degrees fahrenheit higher.

But hey we spent so much time in the field that everyone except the actually insane people were good at their jobs, so there's that.

Edit: I brought up the mopp suits and forgot the payoff. We get to Baghdad where it's actually green in some parts, you know the rivers on either side of the city and canals everywhere, we had MARPAT desert cammies for when we finally went to MOPP 0.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 6, 2017

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I went to Knox, so I cannot vouch for the shittiness of Leonard Wood.

We had stupid steep hills at Knox that there are many stories of drill sergeants having strokes and heart attacks on. Also it's entirely male except for the mustachioed woman at the company dfac. Knox sucks. Especially in the winter. Therefore, I nominate it worse than Leonard Wood.

Most fun I had there on a training exercise was land nav, because I paid attention and knew how to read a compass by 8 years old. And the course then had a view of the gold vault in the distance.

While knox did suck, I did OSUT there, I've probably spent a year of my life at FLW for various schools and it really is worse I promise

and those mustachioed 70 year old women at knox looked good at around week 12

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I only did boot there. Those mustachioed women must be clones or something, because I used to swear the dfac woman at Aberdeen-Edgewood was a twin or cousin of the one I saw daily at Knox. But AIT was mixed gender, so there was always dumb drama going on.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Everything I heard about mixed gender AITs is it always erupted into some drunk orgy on the first weekend pass and I feel like I missed out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Everything I heard about mixed gender AITs is it always erupted into some drunk orgy on the first weekend pass and I feel like I missed out.

We had a mixed gender Tech School.

Less Orgy, more weekend parties and idiots getting drunk and getting us put on lockdown due to DUIs and Underage Drinking.

Except me. Because they ran out of dorm space so since my wife was nearby, I stayed off base.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Do you ever factor in the cost of equipment when making tactical decisions?

E.g. you need to neutralise one man and a camel and you have a $100,000 missile to hand, do you just use it without caring about the cost?

Or does someone complain that you used too many bullets with the machine gun last time and you've blown the budget for that fiscal period?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

spog posted:

Do you ever factor in the cost of equipment when making tactical decisions?

E.g. you need to neutralise one man and a camel and you have a $100,000 missile to hand, do you just use it without caring about the cost?

Or does someone complain that you used too many bullets with the machine gun last time and you've blown the budget for that fiscal period?

We used a Javelin a few times for things just because. Javelin missiles cost 72k. Each. Or at least that's what we were told. We didn't necessarily *have* to use them, but eh.

There are people that manage class 5 (ammo) and I'm sure someone out there has been stupid enough to ask combat arms guys to not shoot as much.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

How much of your own stuff do you end up buying if you're one of the shooty types? I always hear of guys buying gun stuff and boots and other stuff and was curious why you had to buy hundreds of dollars of extra crap when you went to war. Shouldn't Uncle Sam be buying that stuff? Can you write that off of your taxes?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

How much of your own stuff do you end up buying if you're one of the shooty types? I always hear of guys buying gun stuff and boots and other stuff and was curious why you had to buy hundreds of dollars of extra crap when you went to war. Shouldn't Uncle Sam be buying that stuff? Can you write that off of your taxes?

There's limits to exactly what you can buy, sometimes it's limited by theatre command, sometimes by whatever command says. A common thing is to get equipment that's functionally identical but lighter or more durable. Things like weapon magazines or various harnesses are good examples. But you can't say, replace the plates in your armor or put significant changes on your weapon.

You can claim it on your taxes, yes. It's professional gear.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arc Light posted:

Biloxi, Mississippi, is the armpit of America, and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

Every told me Biloxi would be decent but nearly the whole time I was there it was during a cold snap and it never got above 40 before wind chill

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Garry Parrish posted:

Every told me Biloxi would be decent but nearly the whole time I was there it was during a cold snap and it never got above 40 before wind chill

All I remember was 102 degree summer with 80 percent humidity and MTLs switching the Black Flag for a Red Flag.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Garry Parrish posted:

I legit hate you for this.

My strongest memory of Biloxi is marching to school in 100+ degree weather with high humidity, watching a steady trickle of my own sweat drip from the brim of my BDU patrol cap.

gently caress Biloxi.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Leonard Wood during the summer was my first exposure to learning that my fingers can sweat.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Vasudus posted:

There's limits to exactly what you can buy, sometimes it's limited by theatre command, sometimes by whatever command says. A common thing is to get equipment that's functionally identical but lighter or more durable. Things like weapon magazines or various harnesses are good examples. But you can't say, replace the plates in your armor or put significant changes on your weapon.

You can claim it on your taxes, yes. It's professional gear.

How about the recent change in BDU styles? IIRC my army buddy said they were being rolled out in phases but the gear nerds could order the, directly sooner.

I probably mangled that up but I'm a stupid civilian.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
You're expected to buy new uniforms and boots and stuff. They wear out. You're given an initial issue when you join of 4 sets of fatigues and 2 pair of boots. After that its out of pocket to replace them, which can be frequent, but they throw like $200 a year your way to cover it.

When a new uniform comes out like with the ACUs, and whatever they call the new ones, sometimes you're issued a new set, usually before a deployment if you're "lucky," but otherwise you have to buy them. When the new army dress uniform came out they said get hosed, and you had to buy them. They usually have a wear out date on the old uniforms, like 2-3 years past the official introduction of the new stuff. You're typically pressured into buying the new poo poo ASAP because if not then your unit is mismatched and thats how you lose wars and poo poo.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

You're expected to buy new uniforms and boots and stuff. They wear out. You're given an initial issue when you join of 4 sets of fatigues and 2 pair of boots. After that its out of pocket to replace them, which can be frequent, but they throw like $200 a year your way to cover it.

When a new uniform comes out like with the ACUs, and whatever they call the new ones, sometimes you're issued a new set, usually before a deployment if you're "lucky," but otherwise you have to buy them. When the new army dress uniform came out they said get hosed, and you had to buy them. They usually have a wear out date on the old uniforms, like 2-3 years past the official introduction of the new stuff. You're typically pressured into buying the new poo poo ASAP because if not then your unit is mismatched and thats how you lose wars and poo poo.

Is that how we lost the war?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

mercenarynuker posted:

Is that how we lost the war?

Depending on who you ask, yeah, probably

edit: To be clear I'm not even joking. Most probably won't admit we lost though so

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Leonard Wood during the summer was my first exposure to learning that my fingers can sweat.

I was there from Jan-March. We were up most morning at 4 am to shovel the sidewalks, then run on the ice-covered road near the movie theater

poo poo was cold as hell

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

Dad said that it was the first and only time in his life where he's been up to his thighs in mud and had gritty dust blowing into his eyes at the same time.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
car wash hill bitches

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
What do people in the military stateside do when they're not doing PT, field exercises, or cleaning? Like I know the military isn't a 9-5 job so they must be filling up their time with something?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Suicide Watch posted:

What do people in the military stateside do when they're not doing PT, field exercises, or cleaning? Like I know the military isn't a 9-5 job so they must be filling up their time with something?

sitting around bitching and staring at a wall while leadership sits behind closed doors talking about football

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Suicide Watch posted:

someone post the cage video

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Soldiers right now are in a mix match sets of ACU and multicam/OCP patterned gear, I've never seen anyone care if poo poo matches or not. Well other than the uniform itself anyway.

Suicide Watch posted:

There's all sorts of endless tasks that come down every day that require soldiers to carry them out. Gate guard, vehicle static displays for special events, etc. One time my unit had to supply 50 dudes to go out to the field and eat breakfast and lunch there everyday for a week for some sort of competition for cooks. Like Best Ranger but for cooks.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Suicide Watch posted:

As an intel sperg who never saw anything lower than brigade level assignments during my career, it pretty much was a 9 to 5 job.

Come in to work, prepare briefings on the whole bunch of nothing going on, tell important people that absolutely nothing is happening and nobody needs to be pissing themselves, monitor the nothing, field phone calls asking if there actually was something, write reports about nothing, go home.

Granted, there is always something going on like mandatory "Don't rape people" training or somebody needs to drive someone else somewhere, and those can sometimes turn your 8 hour day into a 14/15 hour day depending on the bullshit and what you actually need to get done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, really there is no universal standard for poo poo, that stuff will be completely different for people depending on many factors. Just to point out that Mustang's poo poo seems like highly irregular to a lot of other GIP posters as it actually seems decent. It's weird as gently caress.

• Locked thread