Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Not every horrifying sight gives someone PTSD. Seeing lots of death and destruction over a long period of time, and some of those deaths being your friends or civilian casualties usually drives some people to the PTSD train.

Though I know people who claim PTSD from the rocket and mortar attacks that I usually just slept through.

Every person is different I guess- some are more likely than others to develop PTSD. That's why they're pushing resiliency training- try to give guys the tools to deal with combat stresses before they even happen.

PTSD is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
If I were SECDEF I'd do my god damned best to permanently end the DoD's disgorged gall bladder: The USMC.

I'd piss off every single one of those motard vets doing it but it would be a net positive for the DoD in the biggest of ways.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

McNally posted:

Hey, if you were married to someone in the military and they die or get killed or something, the military takes care of you, right?

Asking for a friend.

:lol: irl

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
That shatters pretty good tonight eh Spongebob?

I'm higher than giraffe pussy myself.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

AlexanderCA posted:

So the big question that you're not supposed to ask because it's obviously very obtrusive, but this is a internet forum so people can easily choose not to respond. Have you ever killed someone? I realize most military never even see combat, let alone close enough for a confirmed kill. So any action where you "pulled the trigger" so to speak to set in motion a attempt to take someone out.

There's a taboo about talking about this specifically and i wonder if it contributes to ptsd. I imagine killing in war used to be a lot more common experience before our safe and sheltered modern societies.

Yes. I was really young (compared to now) and in a constant state of mania from (Then undiagnosed) Bipolar disorder. So at the time my empathy was way outta whack and I had very few feelings about the deaths of EKIA or Civvies getting whacked. It was all just an elaborate game to me.

Not the case now but I'm medicated, so that helps. The pills generally help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I got my CAB from the Army, but I was USAF. Years later the Air Force came up with the combat action ribbon or whatever but I never looked into getting one.

• Locked thread