Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Applewhite posted:

I like when Rick turned himself into a piclkle

you son of a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

I like when Rick turned himself into a piclkle

It's weird that this is the short-hand episode for it being a wacky meme show where Rick is a god because he gets loving annihilated by the family therapist at the end of that episode.

It's one of the most on-the-nose episodes of the show.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

multijoe posted:

So to follow this through, the only issue with the bad 90s type of scolds was that they were going after the wrong targets? Entertainment *should* be didactic and any depictions of bad people should always end with them getting their comeuppance?
Legit question, but no, I don't think that the corollary of "we are always necessarily influenced by the media we engage with" and "'bad' messages in media can cause people to internalise 'bad' values" is "we all have a responsibility to only produce media containing 'good' messages". Wanting Rick and Morty to not coddle edgelords doesn't mean demanding that it go full-on morality fable, just that it'd be cool if maybe it didn't have poo poo like Rick saying "that's retarded".

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
I'd give Rick & Morty a try but I'm afraid that I'd come down with a condition that makes me incapable of being able to shut the gently caress up about Rick & Morty, as evidenced in this thread.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

i like this episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6yg4ImnYwA

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Skrill.exe posted:

I'd give Rick & Morty a try but I'm afraid that I'd come down with a condition that makes me incapable of being able to shut the gently caress up about Rick & Morty, as evidenced in this thread.

Apparently not watching Rick and Morty also leads people to develop that condition, though, as evidenced in this thread and, indeed, your post.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

:hmmyes:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ok let's get off Rick and Morty and check this out: classic Futurama is more rewatchable than classic Simpsons.

I went there

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Alan_Shore posted:

classic Futurama is more rewatchable than classic Simpsons.

qft

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
whats so horrible about roiland and harmon? genuinely curious, i never looked into it

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

What was the lowest point of the What was the lowest point of the Simpsons thread

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Party Boat posted:

What was the lowest point of the What was the lowest point of the Simpsons thread

Daikloktos posted:

I just remembered a formative dream I had at the onset of puberty. I was watching from the shadows as my mom seduced my dad in contest with another woman. She said "We'll do it every Sunday night at eight. And we'll call it 'Man... With His Pants Off' " And my first dreamthought, swear to God, swirled in with my physiological response to this incredibly hot and nasty poo poo from the recesses of my brain I had no context for, was "I'll miss The Simpsons...!"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Alan_Shore posted:

Ok let's get off Rick and Morty and check this out: classic Futurama is more rewatchable than classic Simpsons.

I went there

Nah. I still watch classic Simpsons a few times a year and have yet to reach a point where I'm sick of them or feel like I never have to watch them again. Whereas while 1/3rd of classic Futurama episodes are unquestionably brilliant, the other 2/3rds are just kinda there. I also find a lot of the humor in Futurama lands more in the realm of "memorable and quirky but not necessarily laugh out loud funny", comparable to the more filler-esque jokes in classic Simpsons. A lot of it also borders on 00's lolrandom humor, for instance, using Bender as a comedy crutch. "We need a joke here... have Bender say something random and crass."

But having said all that, the original run is still probably the second best animated sitcom ever to me.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Alan_Shore posted:

I went there

I will loving fight you!

But seriously, classic Simpsons just has a level of execution Futurama rarely hit. Like, in And Maggie Makes Three - the gag about Homer marketing they bowling alley was perfect. Just great A+ execution from beginning to end.

Futurama just doesn't hit those same highs as often as the Simpsons did.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

I went there

Very, very wrong

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Dick and portly lol

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

lol

Bart's Eyes at 0:17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D29E4es3wSM

juSt tRy iT

Reminder: Animation is "really expensive", and also basically everything about this clip including all the pupils, Marge's voice, the fact that they did a "Simpsons go to X" episode and landed on Boston

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

AHH F/UGH posted:

lol

juSt tRy iT

Reminder: Animation is "really expensive", and also basically everything about this clip including all the pupils, Marge's voice, the fact that they did a "Simpsons go to X" episode and landed on Boston

Bart looks really weird in this clip. Not even the pupil thing or the pants, he just looks weird.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

AHH F/UGH posted:

lol

juSt tRy iT

lol it's like they attached the motion tweening of his pupil to that of his arms or something so when the arm moved so did the pupil

when hand drawn animation is wonky it's charming
when it's done by accident on a computer, it's sad

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

why is bart wearing trousers

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Shorts ate.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Rick's shittiness may feel played down by all the genius and whackiness of his schemes, but pretty much since that whole destroying his home world with Morty's love potion thing, the show has been pretty clear on portraying him as super hosed up and anyone who ignores that has got their own issues.

AHH F/UGH posted:

lol

juSt tRy iT

I almost can't believe that of all things, they chose a Whitey Bulger reference to introduce candlepin bowling. Like yeah he was a really infamous name in the city's crime history, but the name isn't common nor particularly tied to Boston's culture as a city. It's pretty tasteless and gross considering who he is.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Alan_Shore posted:

I went there

Hmm, if we say season 1-3 of Simpsons vs Futurama, then I guess I'd agree.

Season 4 is pushing it though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

iamsosmrt posted:

Rick's shittiness may feel played down by all the genius and whackiness of his schemes, but pretty much since that whole destroying his home world with Morty's love potion thing, the show has been pretty clear on portraying him as super hosed up and anyone who ignores that has got their own issues.

Eh, I haven't watched since season 2 but the show constantly framed Rick as the coolest, smartest, and correctest with everyone else just being too naive or stupid to deal. The occasional "actually no Rick is a man of contrasts" moment felt like an afterthought to cover their asses.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

iamsosmrt posted:

I almost can't believe that of all things, they chose a Whitey Bulger reference to introduce candlepin bowling. Like yeah he was a really infamous name in the city's crime history, but the name isn't common nor particularly tied to Boston's culture as a city. It's pretty tasteless and gross considering who he is.

I'm so dumb that whenever Whitey Bulger's name comes up I think of the guy that was knocked unconscious by pretzels and I've never bothered to learn more

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Eh, I haven't watched since season 2 but the show constantly framed Rick as the coolest, smartest, and correctest with everyone else just being too naive or stupid to deal. The occasional "actually no Rick is a man of contrasts" moment felt like an afterthought to cover their asses.

Rick frames himself as such. It pisses off everybody around him including his family giving him a place to live. He's always right about stuff to do with science and tech and the way alien civilizations only he has visited work. When it comes to basic human interaction and giving a poo poo about others he fails across the board and people resent him for it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cemetry Gator posted:

I will loving fight you!

But seriously, classic Simpsons just has a level of execution Futurama rarely hit. Like, in And Maggie Makes Three - the gag about Homer marketing they bowling alley was perfect. Just great A+ execution from beginning to end.

Futurama just doesn't hit those same highs as often as the Simpsons did.

When the Simpsons was really just running in high gear it would get into these grooves sometimes where they'd bring the tone up and keep it up, so the audience is just laughing in a sustained way, and those were some of my favorite memories from watching it as a teen with my family. Like one of my favorites was in "Homer Loves Flanders", where they're all gathered around the table reading the letter with the "bosom" line in it, and they're all cracking up as they stumble through it. Of course all of us watching are all helplessly laughing too; and then we see Marge is glowering, and takes them to task for mocking Ned's openness. So she storms out of the kitchen (as the rest of them keep guffawing), gets just around the corner, and *snrrrk*. My mom, who hardly ever reacts to stuff on TV, and had held out until then, just about doubled over laughing.

That whole scene, the way it orchestrated the laughs and played the audience like a fiddle, always stuck with me. It's not just about individual gags, it about how they were able to build an entire scene and play with the tone and keep you going so the jokes piled up on top of each other.

A similar one was "Don’t get upset, it’s not the end of the world. We all love that quilt, but we can’t get too attached to… BLAAAUHGHGH MY COOKIE"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

AHH F/UGH posted:

lol

juSt tRy iT

First of all, :stonk:

Second of all, the candlepin bowling balls appear to change size in every scene, to the point that I Googled it to see whether or not that was actually part of the game.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I watched the Star Wars short. It's bad.

No dialogue in it which made me realize that they may have picked Maggie for the shorts because then they don't have to pay the cast for dialogue.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I just rewatched the Homer Loves Flanders episode because someone mentioned it before, which is pretty unique. It's actually a fairly weak story, just Homer starts doing stuff with Flanders because he wants tickets. But the side bits "They were no longer little girls... they were little women.", Rappin' Ronnie Reagan, "How are my boys doing, Homer?... They're fine" and the Terminator 2 chase scene, so many good little clips that are basically propping up a weaker story. The thing I really loved was how the golden years always mentioned how Homer apparently smells really bad, even complete strangers point it out. Those sorts of jokes really

and speaking of how when it was hand-drawn the animation was weird but charming:

Homer's pupils, Marge's hair is too short, Lisa's mouth is weird, Bart looks like he was drawn by *me* from memory, etc

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 13, 2021

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Everyone's eyes were massive in season 5, especially Homer's. I reckon I could identify a season 5 episode on that alone, if I didn't already know which episodes were season 5 and which ones weren't due to being a huge geek.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Everyone's eyes were massive in season 5, especially Homer's. I reckon I could identify a season 5 episode on that alone, if I didn't already know which episodes were season 5 and which ones weren't due to being a huge geek.

I kind of love the look of the big-eyed Simpsons. I know it was animation error but I liked it.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's not just the eyes, the pupils in seasons 4 and 5 are sometimes the size of nickels. I like it though, the goofier off model look matched the tone of the show at the time.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
dig UP stupid

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

The lack of unnecessary super-detail and inexplicable shadows everywhere is just refreshing

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Riptor posted:

The lack of unnecessary super-detail and inexplicable shadows everywhere is just refreshing

This is why I gag whenever a screenshot from a modern episode is posted here. A consistent and simple color palette will always be better than the lovely shading and superfluous detail modern episodes have. The older episodes are also vibrant and pleasant to look at, whereas modern episodes are just so... dull and drab. Major poopbutts.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Bart's "just try it" sounds so incredibly wrong I can't believe they went with that. Is Bart's VO a vocaloid now?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I think you can criticize the implicit values of art and what it contributes & reinforces in culture without suggesting that videogamestechbro shows cause violenceNFT's

The 90's moral scares were bad but I honestly hate the "cultural products have no impact on society at all" reactionary response almost as much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Neurolimal posted:

I think you can criticize the implicit values of art and what it contributes & reinforces in culture without suggesting that videogamestechbro shows cause violenceNFT's

The 90's moral scares were bad but I honestly hate the "cultural products have no impact on society at all" reactionary response almost as much

I object to this sort of criticism because it's often accompanied by the implicit message that the proles shouldn't be allowed to watch it, or that it should never have been made because the The Wrong People Will Get Ideas.

I think Evil and Problematic media is some of the most interesting and valuable media.