Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah these were all really good cuts

Idk the backstory was mostly terrible but I could see the hair transplant bit working with the right line read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I thought Kirk worrying about peanutbutter crackers catching fire was funny

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I reckon everyone's appreciation of classic Simpsons comedy is somewhat dependent on a memory of the actual performance and pacing, and people see these alt takes and don't hear the voice in their head reciting them so they seem to lack the cromulence of the real episode.

I say "people", but I'm speaking for myself here, it takes me a minute to sort-of-objectively evaluate whether it's a good premise or not. Point is, comedy is a funny business.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

CodfishCartographer posted:

I thought Kirk worrying about peanutbutter crackers catching fire was funny

Yes, but at the same time, it feels like a really big distraction from the way the scene demonstrates their marriage is failing.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I can't find the clip, but there's a scene in Mom and Pop Art where Flanders yells "GOD... bless him," and Marge and Homer swap surprised looks

the read makes it really clear he was about to say "dammit" and it's masterfully done. makes a joke out of nothing at all

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ikanreed posted:

Yes, but at the same time, it feels like a really big distraction from the way the scene demonstrates their marriage is failing.

Oh absolutely, that whole shtick had funny jokes in it, but if it doesn't benefit the scene then they were right to cut it. No line is worth a scene.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CodfishCartographer posted:

Oh absolutely, that whole shtick had funny jokes in it, but if it doesn't benefit the scene then they were right to cut it. No line is worth a scene.

It's a good gag but the final script was better. The circumstances of the divorce being kept grounded worked great, especially Pictionary, and if they had gotten too wacky with Kirk starting fires instead of just being a loser it would have hurt the tone.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It's a good gag but the final script was better. The circumstances of the divorce were kept relatively grounded worked great, especially Pictionary, and if they had gotten too wacky with Kirk starting fires instead of just being a loser it would have hurt the tone.

But they didn't need to show you he was a loser, they said he was! New Simpsons is much better about understanding this.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Failed Imagineer posted:

I reckon everyone's appreciation of classic Simpsons comedy is somewhat dependent on a memory of the actual performance and pacing, and people see these alt takes and don't hear the voice in their head reciting them so they seem to lack the cromulence of the real episode.

I say "people", but I'm speaking for myself here, it takes me a minute to sort-of-objectively evaluate whether it's a good premise or not. Point is, comedy is a funny business.

It's true, often when I read scripts even of scenes I know, they seem much more hacky on paper. But overall I think the stuff they cut was either too much/too far and/or undercuts the serious tone of the scene. "Kirk burned down the factory and inadvertently killed Luann's father" isn't funny, and is so over the top that its hard to take the rest of the scene seriously. The handful of other quick jokes that were cut seem more like unrelated tangents that also undercut the scene for a laugh. Good Simpsons, especially seasons 6-8, knew not to undercut serious emotional moments whereas a modern episode would have played the whole scene for laughs and shock while still wanting you to take it seriously for some reason, which is what the first draft reads like. There are still jokes in the final product, but they are organic to what is happening.

e: beaten, kind of

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Krusty bursts in looking for the wife swapping would be a very modern Simpsons gag. Random character inserted into a scene they don't belong in for an easy joke.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It's true, often when I read scripts even of scenes I know, they seem much more hacky on paper. But overall I think the stuff they cut was either too much/too far and/or undercuts the serious tone of the scene. "Kirk burned down the factory and inadvertently killed Luann's father" isn't funny, and is so over the top that its hard to take the rest of the scene seriously. The handful of other quick jokes that were cut seem more like unrelated tangents that also undercut the scene for a laugh. Good Simpsons, especially seasons 6-8, knew not to undercut serious emotional moments whereas a modern episode would have played the whole scene for laughs and shock while still wanting you to take it seriously for some reason, which is what the first draft reads like. There are still jokes in the final product, but they are organic to what is happening.

e: beaten, kind of

Yeah those are good points. The final scene works great in escalating the tension especially as most of the other people in the room behave like sane humans, and the writers had enough confidence resisting having Homer or Bart be the cause of the breakup. They wisely cut Krusty's unnecessary appearance which in later seasons would have been accompanied by Crazy Cat Lady and Sea Captain.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PostNouveau posted:

Krusty bursts in looking for the wife swapping would be a very modern Simpsons gag. Random character inserted into a scene they don't belong in for an easy joke.

And in those days they cut it because they had better jokes. Now,

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Data Graham posted:

And in those days they cut it because they had better jokes. Now,

Yeah I remember someone else making the point that the golden era was a product of then unknown writers in their 20s without families bringing their A game and working early into the morning hammering out the Colonel's name in the Air Force ep, and the effort shone through. As they aged and got families they couldn't be expected to put in the same hours and didn't want to, and had earned their now cushy writing gigs so weren't going to step aside for a new class to take over. Kinda like Seth MacFarlane nowadays probably not willing to lock himself in an apartment again for six months losing forty lbs animating the family guy pilot.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Marge: GROWL

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah those are good points. The final scene works great in escalating the tension especially as most of the other people in the room behave like sane humans, and the writers had enough confidence resisting having Homer or Bart be the cause of the breakup. They wisely cut Krusty's unnecessary appearance which in later seasons would have been accompanied by Crazy Cat Lady and Sea Captain.

And Sideshow Mel.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Allied Biscuit, The cat's gonna get it, Gudger College are all gold, so it was punched up correctly by... oh, let's say, John Swartzwelder.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think the spider's curse joke is one of my favourites on reflection.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Homer is bad at his job, He could hurt allot of people with his negligence

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
What is the joke with Gudger College?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah I remember someone else making the point that the golden era was a product of then unknown writers in their 20s without families bringing their A game and working early into the morning hammering out the Colonel's name in the Air Force ep, and the effort shone through. As they aged and got families they couldn't be expected to put in the same hours and didn't want to, and had earned their now cushy writing gigs so weren't going to step aside for a new class to take over. Kinda like Seth MacFarlane nowadays probably not willing to lock himself in an apartment again for six months losing forty lbs animating the family guy pilot.

They were hungry young writers; in fact they were working for a sandwich

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

What is the joke with Gudger College?

It has the ring of one of those tiny no-name schools people attend when they feel like they absolutely need to go to college but don't have any options or a plan. It's everyone's tenth choice. "Gudger" doesn't mean anything on its own (so far as I'm aware, anyway), but it sounds kind of like a mishmash of gut, smudge, and budget. Luanne's delivery also hints that Kirk probably brings up his Gudger days a lot and has an unwarranted amount of pride at having gone there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty much an entire genre of jokes about college haven't aged well at all for subsequent generations who grew up with colleges falling over each other to offer them entrance with no payment up front, in the manner of a stranger offering candy in their van.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/joshstrangehill/status/1333923406643945472?s=21
Yeah, pretty sure everything makes it to air these days

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Communist Walrus posted:

It has the ring of one of those tiny no-name schools people attend when they feel like they absolutely need to go to college but don't have any options or a plan. It's everyone's tenth choice. "Gudger" doesn't mean anything on its own (so far as I'm aware, anyway), but it sounds kind of like a mishmash of gut, smudge, and budget. Luanne's delivery also hints that Kirk probably brings up his Gudger days a lot and has an unwarranted amount of pride at having gone there.

Ah, I see. It’s funny that that line never even registered to me until now, 24 years later.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Borchmore was his safety

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Ah, I see. It’s funny that that line never even registered to me until now, 24 years later.

I didn't understand Ned's "Woodsy Allen" joke until much later.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Without those cuts, we'd never have gotten to the "I don't remember saying 'good luck'" line

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

emgeejay posted:

https://twitter.com/joshstrangehill/status/1333923406643945472?s=21
Yeah, pretty sure everything makes it to air these days

They can barely fill 22 minutes and have to spend a full 2 minutes of that on an intro.

Communist Walrus posted:

This is best and most clear explanation I've ever head someone make about a Simpsons line

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I didn't understand Ned's "Woodsy Allen" joke until much later.

I'm still not entirely sure if I get this one, haha.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'm still not entirely sure if I get this one, haha.

I took it to mean Ned is so culturally oblivious he considers himself a fan of "Woodsy Allen" despite being so unfamiliar with the movies he doesn't know the "nervous fellow" he doesn't care for is Woody Allen. Probably related to Ned enjoying an episode of Impy & Chimpy.

brugroffil posted:

Without those cuts, we'd never have gotten to the "I don't remember saying 'good luck'" line

Agreed, although I wish they'd kept the seagulls swarming Kirk in the factory parking lot to steal his severance package (a box of crackers).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Communist Walrus posted:

I aspired to get into Stanford, and as I was filling out applications I kept getting courted in letters from universities like "Stamford" and "Standford". Which I'm sure are real places with proud histories and all but drat all I could picture was getting in, getting on the plane (to the wrong city), showing up on campus, registering, and gradually having it dawn on you that you'd been bamboozled by the Video Brinquedo of higher education

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

I aspired to get into Stanford, and as I was filling out applications I kept getting courted in letters from universities like "Stamford" and "Standford". Which I'm sure are real places with proud histories and all but drat all I could picture was getting in, getting on the plane (to the wrong city), showing up on campus, registering, and gradually having it dawn on you that you'd been bamboozled by the Video Brinquedo of higher education

Get off the plane and there's a big sign that says "Welcome to New Haden, Connecticut"

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Data Graham posted:

Stanford's non-union, Mexican equivalent.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Greg12 posted:

https://www.samford.edu/

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

AHH F/UGH posted:

They can barely fill 22 minutes

tbf that sometimes happened even in the good seasons:

https://i.imgur.com/VS3Dw0D.mp4

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Greg12 posted:

WA state has Whitman & Whitworth. Whitman is where Adam West went.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Stingwing posted:

tbf that sometimes happened even in the good seasons:

https://i.imgur.com/VS3Dw0D.mp4

true, but that was loving hilarious

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Communist Walrus posted:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/aljean/status/1334910166924283906?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Empty Sandwich posted:

true, but that was loving hilarious

Feels like some of the more narrative-focused episodes tend to be ones where they need to fill in time.

What if instead they filled it in with more HMS Pinafore