Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lmao Marge's French VA sounds insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

She's called Bouvier so that's the canon VA

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My favorite overly long video essay youtuber did a video on the Simpsons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0M5rzJHY1U

Since the video as a whole intends to be more about specifically the game, Simpsons Hit and Run, only the first half is about analyzing the Simpsons as a show and a franchise (including The Simpsons Game 2007, which contrasts negatively with Hit and Run), that makes it almost a reasonable length video essay if you leave it at that. I think he makes some interesting points on how there isn't one single fulcrum episode on which the show goes from good to bad even as the show obviously shifts focus during the earlier seasons.

The rest of the video dives really deep (and somewhat aimlessly) into the minutia of Hit and Run's game mechanics and its deficiencies and how those flaws are the result of the way the game industry worked at the time (need to throw in 'artificial difficulty' to bulk out playtime so players get their money's worth, they needed to slap on a lot of not driving in order to avoid a lawsuit like Road Rage got from Crazy Taxi, and while it was great the show writers had a lot of input, having the writers take point on the game when they didn't understand game dev meant a lot of stuff had to be slapped together last minute, leaving a number of issues).

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

My favorite overly long video essay youtuber did a video on the Simpsons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0M5rzJHY1U

Since the video as a whole intends to be more about specifically the game, Simpsons Hit and Run, only the first half is about analyzing the Simpsons as a show and a franchise (including The Simpsons Game 2007, which contrasts negatively with Hit and Run), that makes it almost a reasonable length video essay if you leave it at that. I think he makes some interesting points on how there isn't one single fulcrum episode on which the show goes from good to bad even as the show obviously shifts focus during the earlier seasons.

The rest of the video dives really deep (and somewhat aimlessly) into the minutia of Hit and Run's game mechanics and its deficiencies and how those flaws are the result of the way the game industry worked at the time (need to throw in 'artificial difficulty' to bulk out playtime so players get their money's worth, they needed to slap on a lot of not driving in order to avoid a lawsuit like Road Rage got from Crazy Taxi, and while it was great the show writers had a lot of input, having the writers take point on the game when they didn't understand game dev meant a lot of stuff had to be slapped together last minute, leaving a number of issues).

His commentary on Principal and the Pauper is actually pretty spot on, and it's actually kind of nice to see that a lot more people nowadays don't seem to hate that episode as much as it deserves. especially when there's been far, far greater targets.

Hell, one episode I'm glad that he called out that really does deserve far more hate than it gets, is the episode when Lisa becomes Bart's babysitter. and that one is a “golden age” episode! yet I found that one much much more difficult to watch than any airing of Principal and the Pauper.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 13, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Interweb posted:

His commentary on Principal and the Pauper is actually pretty spot on, and it's actually kind of nice to see that a lot more people nowadays don't seem to hate that episode as much as it deserves. especially when there's been far, far greater targets.

Hell, one episode I'm glad that he called out that really does deserve far more hate than it gets, is the episode when Lisa becomes Bart's babysitter. then that one is a “golden age” episode! yet I found that one much much more difficult to watch than any airing of Principal and the Pauper.

That episode's just kind of hosed up to a degree that's kinda impressive.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like that episode :kiddo:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the idea that it's the worst episode of all time and a definitive turning point has perpetuated ever since internet nerds in 1997 said it and it somehow stuck. There are still good episodes after it, and I would argue that there were at least a few worse episodes before it. It was a bit of a shocker at the time, but that was the point. It doesn't even come close to the depths that the show has sunk to, over and over again, for the last 25 years.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The babysitting episode is probably darker than most episodes of its time but I absolutely can't call it a bad episode. I think it's probably more real than some people like to admit (I also don't have any problems with Bart trying to steal Bonestorm, as previously posted), and in a way that's what makes it funny to me. Bart being a little poo poo in a not quite too over-the-top way and Lisa's all-round miserable night* has bitter comedy to it. If you don't find it funny, at least you have Moe's not faux dive for levity.

* Maggieeeeeee :gonk:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

What's wrong with the babysitting episode? No jerkass Homer or celebrity guest stars & the jokes land. I liked Chief Wiggum identifying a Yard King, the mayor yelling at them to stop, and Krusty being willing to waive his fee for some of the giant sandwich. It's a great ep, dammit.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's as may be, but purely as an anecdotal pointillist dot, I remember seeing that episode brand-new and thinking for the first time, "you know, I think I'll probably be okay going to college in a house that doesn't have any TVs and I won't be able to catch the Simpsons weekly anymore".

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
going beyond the simpsons for a bit, some NPR podcasts talked about how the teenage or tween babysitter is a bit of a dead trope in real life. (well sort, depends on where/who you look at).

kinda weird that babysitter club books have contemporary adaptions for a thing that doesnt exist? though the fact that Lisa is like what, 3rd or 2nd grade(so 6-8yo?) to Bart's 4th(10,11 years old??) feels like it would be questionable even in the 90s

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 13, 2024

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
What’s the source on that?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PhazonLink posted:

going beyond the simpsons for a bit, some NPR podcasts talked about how the teenage or tween babysitter is a bit of a dead trope in real life. (well sort, depends on where/who you look at).

kinda weird that babysitter club books have contemporary adaptions for a thing that doesnt exist?

Are you saying the TV show I'm writing about child chimney sweets in contemporary london isn't going to work? Do kids these days not still do that? Am I that out of touch with youth culture???

:(

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Biden is trying to kill hydrocarbons so no more chimneys, but luckily Rs are balancing things out by getting child labor again, so just make your child worker an apprentice electrician that crawls into wire nests

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's easy to build up the idea of Tamzarian as some kind of betrayal of the show's canon, but the show does deep pulls to show unexpected histories of previously established characters all the time, and it also does jokey returns to the status quo all the time even if a couple big changes stuck around for a while.

But I think the decline of the Simpsons happened because of just a more abstract wearing down and wearing out after growing stagnant and failing to shift focus after its early years of constantly moving their focus around. I think it takes a while when coming to the series fresh to realize its flaws because it's not worn out to newer viewers.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What's wrong with the babysitting episode? No jerkass Homer or celebrity guest stars & the jokes land. I liked Chief Wiggum identifying a Yard King, the mayor yelling at them to stop, and Krusty being willing to waive his fee for some of the giant sandwich. It's a great ep, dammit.

I guess it's an early step in Lisa's progression to full adult that she's gotten stuck in now.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Are you saying the TV show I'm writing about child chimney sweets in contemporary london isn't going to work? Do kids these days not still do that? Am I that out of touch with youth culture???

:(

It's the children who are wrong.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PhazonLink posted:

kinda weird that babysitter club books have contemporary adaptions for a thing that doesnt exist? though the fact that Lisa is like what, 3rd or 2nd grade(so 6-8yo?) to Bart's 4th(10,11 years old??) feels like it would be questionable even in the 90s

There's a running gag in the r/relationships thread that a lot of thoughtless parents treat literally any unattended vaguely responsible looking female as instant unlimited free babysitting. It absolutely happens.

If anything I think the episode isn't exactly a bad one or jumping the shark, it's just kind of a weird one, where the tone goes very differently than usual. The whole ongoing escalation of fuckups reminds me more of a lot of 90s Nick with a gleefully mean sense of humour, especially when Lisa manages to catch all the blame anyway. ...though the ending is definitely the best punchline to follow that.

vvv: Y'know what, that's it. It's got a real good thread of nightmare logic to it, where everything that can go wrong does in the worst ways even as it gets more and more absurd, down to the abrupt ending and return to normalcy like nothing really happened.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 14, 2024

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I like the babysitting episode because it plays out exactly like a nightmare someone who babysits might have.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Even if you don't like the premise of Principal and the Pauper, it's still has a bunch of good jokes and Martin Sheen is funny.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

“Up yours, children!”

*rides off on motorcycle*

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

hatty posted:

I like that episode :kiddo:

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Hedgehog Pie Touched upon a big one but for me it seemed like a much darker episode then Simpsons was ever really used to. Bart's been a bratty kid but he seemed uncharacteristically mean as well. and to see him not only just get hurt but like repeatedly get hurt in some pretty serious ways that weren't done for comedic purposes just didn't really sit right with me

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 14, 2024

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Disco Godfather posted:

Even if you don't like the premise of Principal and the Pauper, it's still has a bunch of good jokes and Martin Sheen is funny.

the drive to Capital City gag with the simpson family, edna, agnes, grandpa and jasper is an all timer

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

Hedgehog Pie Touched upon a big one but for me it seemed like a much darker episode then Simpsons was ever really used to. Mark's been a bratty kid but he seemed uncharacteristically mean as well. and to see him not only just get hurt but like repeatedly get hurt in some pretty serious ways that weren't done for comedic purposes just didn't really sit right with me

Mark

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

what the gently caress is this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSjYhuE_WtA

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Look at all this great stuff, Liz! Cool, personalized plates! Matthew, Maxell, Mork? Oh come on, Mork?

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

It’s weird how random parts of the new Simpsons are suddenly over-animated, but it still manages to look like poo poo.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

google voice typing isn't flawless, sadly :smith:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Awesomesaurus posted:

It’s weird how random parts of the new Simpsons are suddenly over-animated, but it still manages to look like poo poo.

Just overly clean drawings and very unimaginative composition. Early Simpsons really went out of its way to make shots look interesting to get away from all the super flat tv animation that came before it. Late Simpsons just doesn't.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mr Interweb posted:

Hedgehog Pie Touched upon a big one but for me it seemed like a much darker episode then Simpsons was ever really used to. Bart's been a bratty kid but he seemed uncharacteristically mean as well. and to see him not only just get hurt but like repeatedly get hurt in some pretty serious ways that weren't done for comedic purposes just didn't really sit right with me

I don't think the problem has anything to do with Bart, he has every right to be upset that his parents are having his eight year old sister babysit him! His reaction is entirely in character. The problem is that this episode firmly moves Lisa from being an occasional co-conspirator with Bart to a more 'responsible' depiction. Early seasons Lisa would have worked something out with Bart, early seasons Homer and Marge would never have trusted her to keep Bart in check. It's not a bad episode, but it establishes a really bad precedent.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean the previous time they had been in a babysitting situation Lisa just wanted to watch Happy Little Elves.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The hot dog guy looks like he should be in Futurama (where there’s more leeway for realistic-looking characters) instead of The Simpsons.

He looks so out of place.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
"Hey Lois, that reminds me of the time I went back to my favorite food truck growing up"

"Come to think of it, maybe it was actually the hamburger stand across the street. :thunk:"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

:chloe:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Had to read the comments to see that it was supposed to be this song, which I've never heard before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtwKn_gX4ZE

The segment is slightly less wtf after hearing it because now I can hear the melody they were attempting.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
chili dogs cooked in their own chili is an interesting cooking method, might be the only thing of value the simpsons has done in years or decades.

also never seen a hotdog or sausage with those tied off tassel knobs before, like they seem like cartoon/comic only things.

e: do the nepo baby writers know what a spatula is for or how sausages are handled?

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 14, 2024

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I had a friend recently tell me at a gathering lately that the current season of the Simpsons is actually pretty good.

He's wrong right? There's just no way.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Master Twig posted:

I had a friend recently tell me at a gathering lately that the current season of the Simpsons is actually pretty good.

I feel like people have been saying "THIS season of The Simpsons is good, actually" for like, the past five seasons. Granted, I haven't watched every episode from every season they've referenced, but after seeing promos, I don't trust them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

chili dogs cooked in their own chili is an interesting cooking method, might be the only thing of value the simpsons has done in years or decades.

also never seen a hotdog or sausage with those tied off tassel knobs before, like they seem like cartoon/comic only things.

e: do the nepo baby writers know what a spatula is for or how sausages are handled?

Those both seem like upper midwest coney dog sort of things, they're pretty good.

Master Twig posted:

He's wrong right? There's just no way.

I feel like even if they fixed everything else the Marge voice issue is a dealbreaker.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

I feel like people have been saying "THIS season of The Simpsons is good, actually" for like, the past five seasons. Granted, I haven't watched every episode from every season they've referenced, but after seeing promos, I don't trust them.

It just starts to sound like “it’s still good, it’s still good,” after a while. Like, mate, that pig’s been airborne for a while. It’s time to accept that it’s too far gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I can belive the last five years are better, but that still doesn't mean it's any good.