Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
No one loves to celebrate it's own pop culture conquest more than Disney. Someone please euthanize the Simpsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Shorts ate.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/AlJean/status/1393268700770340866?s=19

Gonna be bummed that they found a way to make Maurice Lamarche doing his Orson Welles unfunny.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

Also, Simpsons writers thinking they're on the cutting edge of Maurice LaMarche doing Orson Welles. Dude's been doing Orson Welles for at least thirty five years.

He even dubbed over Vincent D'Onofrio as Orson Welles in Ed Wood. Somehow the Simpsons are the last piece of media to utilize this man's gift.

The Critic is the better cartoon turns out.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Been said before but Disney's insistence on marrying it's brands to the Simpsons via these shorts is so vile. Just complete and utter pop culture fealty.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I'm actually optimistic that consumers will eventually tire of the constant brand incest that companies like Disney and Warner Bros are way into.

Wouldn't mind if it were all destroyed and we start over. (Just like Thanos!!)

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

john dimaggio is pretty funny in it. thats about it

I got to sit in on a short VO session that John DiMaggio was doing on a thing I worked on way back. Dude was so magnetic. Just a big ball of positivity. He'd do quick impressions between takes and get the work done so fast. Wish the session was longer.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Did anyone else think the show used Nixon/Spiro Agnew a bit too much?

Probably, but I find Billy West's Nixon persona funny just by sound effect alone. That flag eating episode is probably where it peaked.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

It's so good of Disney to permit the simpsons to make these epic jokes about star wars! And other pop culture!

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I always really liked how Itchy and Scratchy are voiced by Tress MacNeille who is playing herself more or less. She voices so many characters on the show since the beginning. I wonder why she's always at the rear end end of the voice actor credits.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Poochie is less of a Scrappy and more in line with all the forgettable 90's 'tude characters, like Kid Vid or Sonic the Hedgehog.

I remember every cereal and snack mascot being given the 'cool' treatment too. They were all into extreme sports. Also they all wore knee and elbow pads so as not to be too rebellious.

Dizzy Grizzlies, Chester Cheetah, etc.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Lmao they're recasting Bender. And probably all the other DiMaggio characters.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I coulda sworn when they revived it for Comedy Central Katey Sagal was gonna walk. Surpised she stuck it out even for this new one.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

edogawa rando posted:

I always interpreted that as a joke about the production of American goods being outsourced due to Reagan era deregulation.

Not to worry, they decided to make an eyerolling sentimental episode detailing the whole thing in the later seasons. Also Hermes was the one who built him because everything must be interconnected. The Force willed it.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/TheJohnDiMaggio/status/1493769815353225217?t=ygU71DlrVGlOuPsrSbz0RA&s=19

drat what a baller! Good for him.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Das Boo posted:

Nah, squeeze every penny you can out of goddamn Disney. He doesn't owe anyone poo poo.

Yeah. Using your personal agency to not take part in being exploited by Disney's vassal company is pretty based. Especially when you are a huge contributor to the show's past success.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Lol at tryna bring the class war discussion back to this thread while ignoring the fact that voice work is work and that every dollar they are granted by an impossibly wealthy yet miserly corporation had to be fought for over decades via unions and negotiations.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Which of the BTAS creators were really horny for Harley?

Probably Bruce Timm.

And for Poison Ivy, Catwoman, Supergirl, etc.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

spaceblancmange posted:

Oh, its a 'parody' not a guest spot. At least it will piss off everyone.

Moe Mogan

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I know Pat Carroll died recently but man they didn't even try to capture the way she sounded as Ursula. Also maybe it's just cuz it's a clip but the song seems to have no discernable structure? Why does every villain have their correct gimmick but Cruella shoots fire?

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Zombie Island owns. The cat people transformation shots were pretty visceral and well animated. Definitely done overseas. Also Jim Cummings getting to play a Cajun riverboat captain was good casting.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I find any of those shows impossible to watch for the most part. The orchestra based sound effects make me depressed for some reason.

Mr Interweb posted:

they don't make me depressed but i do find them really loving annoying

You people have no magic in your hearts.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

If I see a cartoon character sneaking around, carefully taking each step, I wanna hear some motherfucking cello strings getting plucked.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

So I've never really watched the Simpsons until it was all on D+. I had the privilege of the classic episodes being mostly new to me. Since the pandemic started I've become quite familiar to Seasons 3-10 and knew to not go past there. Having never seen what this show became I decided to see how long I would last on an episode from the current season.

Dear god.

There are no jokes. Just plot points and Homer screaming all his lines. I know this thread is well aware of the show's decline but I'm just glad I didn't see it happen gradually in real time.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Master Twig posted:

I didn't care for the Spin-Off Showcase.

I get that, but I just think about Wiggum saying "It's no cakewalk being a single parent, juggling a career and family like so many juggling balls... two I suppose." and I laugh.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I really like the episode with Homer's mother in Season 7. Mostly great jokes all around and it has a heartfelt ending without rubbing it in too much. But the gag where Maggie is covered in 60's tattoos and dances is so terrible you'd think it was recent. And this was years before Ally McBeal had a dancing baby.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Written by AI Jean

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

No idea what the hell any of this means but when I try to visualize it I see something like a Hieronymus Bosch painting that's very yellow.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

As bad as Futurama got I don't think anyone would blame the actors. Billy West, John DiMaggio, and Tress McNeill have always been the glue that holds the show together with all the characters they do. The performances have never slipped, but Fry might start to sound kinda old in these new eps.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

I want mp3s of the futurama and simpsons commentaries, I haven't heard them in at least a decade but feel like they'd be perfect podcasts

Been listening to the Futurama commentary tracks synced with the episodes. I love how the voice actors bring all their crazy energy and it's offset by David X Cohen telling his slow anecdotes in monotone.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

His anecdotes are usually somewhat interesting but they have so many people in the room for the commentary tracks that every second he talks is one less second of Billy West playing Zoidberg as an actor admiring his own performance in the episode.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Stonecutters erasure!

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Wasn't there also some contest to decide what state Springfield is in? Like that matters at all.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I grew up in Missouri and I would consider that the poster state for the Midwest. It's the gateway to the west and such a mediocrity of a state that Springfield is actually one of it's notable cities. Missouri is mostly prairie though. Still the Simpsons reminds me of home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

You could be making Disney money with this material. Don't give it away for free.