Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's simple; when the show started, people were writing original comedy and a parody of the American family that was actually really pushing the envelope at the time. Bart being a bad boy wasn't just some tongue-in-cheek thing, he was seen as a seriously horrible role model and people tried to get the show banned. Around 6-10 years later, new writers joined the team that literally grew up watching the show. They weren't writing original jokes any more, they were writing what they thought Simpsons jokes were.

It's the same thing as copying the voice of a cartoon character - you don't try to copy the voice directly. You find out what the original voice actor was imitating, then you also imitate that same thing.

Also, the real heart of the show is 100% Swartzwelder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

A dozen years from now, we'll be reading about the golden years of the 20th season

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

True, but that just goes along with the idea that you should never bring a cancelled show back. Ever.

I don't know, the trailer that finally came out for samurai jack got my hopes up;

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

It's funny how much the show likes to harp on environmentalism through Lisa, since the Simpsons did more than anything else to make people terrified of nuke plants. Every week people are reminded that nuke plants are ready to explode, have green radioactive fluid oozing out of every surface, mutate everything they're near, and have absolute idiots at the helm.

Yes, I am directly comparing the show's effects to the media's harping on Chernobyl and Three Mile Island, and I stand by what I said

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

^^^: The Simpsons gta ripoff was fun, as was the crazy taxi ripoff

CharlestonJew posted:

remember the episode with Frank Grimes Jr. who had the exact same plotline and died the exact same way because gently caress creativity right

Wow, I forgot this one existed until you said it, but that's actually the episode that finally made me say "why the gently caress am I still watching this? It's just a habit and I'm not even laughing; screw it, I'm done"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Loud whispers, you say? At least it isn't Kipper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV7fDCmXhMg&t=64s

My kids loved that show, and it took me too long to figure out why I hated the voices so much

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

...was a relatively boring cash-in on the lego movie, and it even followed the same moral lesson if I'm remembering right

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Speaking of killing off characters, anyone remember a few years ago when they made a huge publicity stunt that "a citizen of Springfield is going to die!!" As the season premiere?

Then it turned out it was Krusty's dad, who has been in no more than 3 episodes, and only prominently featured in one.

They should have spread rumors about contract negotiations with bart's voice actor breaking down, then had the episode include a quick <2min segment of the family at bart's non-evil twin brother's funeral

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Yes, I can in fact imagine the think pieces coming in 2017 - I saw their scathing representation of Russian president Vladimir Putin

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

People were excited because it was a 10 second glimpse of when the Simpsons had good comedic timing and had subversive humor

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Honestly, 100mm sounds like the low end - as an original 'gatekeeper', I bet she could have gotten a small percentage deal on the syndication or even merchandising since they probably hadn't quite learned their lesson from Star Wars yet

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Newgrounds style tweening would probably have more charm than the current animation

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I like the hand-animated skeletons and early 3dsmax inverse kinematics, the show wouldn't be the same at all with mocap

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Maya Fey posted:

they gave lisa the brian griffin treatment. "dogged" her if you will

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Drink-Mix Man posted:

What do you mean? That is totally in character for rap-loving Bart, who idolizes Vanilla Ice.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The first movie was a good point to end the series

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Drawn Together made me physically uncomfortable at times

Thus it meets the definition of fine art

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

One Punch Man proves that a show starring a complete Mary Sue can still be good and have tension, because the Mary Sue is the setting, not the protagonist. The actual interesting moments come from the supporting cast, who are the real stars of the show

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

22 minutes of actual show for a 30 minute scheduling slot

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

It went to poo poo at around the time that celebrities in general decided that it was cool to be on the show rather than embarrassing

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I think people who don't like the episode are legitimately afraid of their own feelings and have terrible relationships with their families

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

You're right, just imagine :kimchi:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I forgot how expressive the animation can be when it's not just doing static shots of extreme gross closeups, I love the arm ripping/dangling motion from that threat

And I'm surprised that he wasn't involved in cow and chicken. I don't remember much about that show other than that it was also intentionally gross and they tried to see just how much rear end they could possibly get on cartoon network

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

Homer takes the family on a "hate-cation" to Boston when he catches Bart rooting for a rival football team. But after discovering the appeal of candlepin bowling over his regular bowling, and finding a better safety inspector job at a candy factory, they agree to move there. Meanwhile, Lisa discovers how much Boston has to offer academically compared to Springfield.

Homer discovers a new app that makes his life easier, and Grampa learns he's going to be a father again.

Bart spends time with Principal Skinner's mother, Agnes. Meanwhile, Homer and Lisa get addicted to Peekimon Get.

Even though I saw a clip from one of those, I still need to tell you to stop posting obviously fake synopsises

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

Burns Before Reading: The Springfield Public Library has revealed they have a list of all the overdue books in their collection that are owed late fees. Marge as a volunteer is assigned to go to door to door to collect the books or replacement fees from cardholders until she gets to Mr. Burns. Burns both refuses to pay for the book and give it back to the library.

Lisa and Marge delve into the history of the book with the library and discover it was a donated book donated by the Burns Estate, itself, nearly 75 years earlier, there are apparently no other copies in existence to replace it with, and decide to make it into a mystery to solve as to what is so important about this one book and Mr. Burns.

That could actually make for a great season 2~3 episode

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

execs posted:

Listen, I know your idea is funny to you and me, but what if the audience doesn't get it?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

People think miku is vocaloid's #1 star, but it's actually bart

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Good Simpsons created popular culture. Bad Simpsons talks about celebrity culture

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Rule of thumb: if an episode of anything advertises that it's guest-starring someone, it's bad

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

It has like 3 keyframes per scene, like low budget 80s anime

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Riptor posted:

Homers loud-whispering is agonizing too

Homer's loud-whisper has nothing on British kid tv shows. I wanted to set kipper and his damned conkers and sour hearts on fire

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I still like the first four seasons, they're a good trash watch. Not as good as peak Simpsons, but that's a high bar to set.

I didn't bother watching much of it after they brought it back, it got noticeably worse with even more contrived plotlines (the last one I remember is Lois suddenly being Jewish)

It's pretty clear that all of the best people involved with family guy left for American dad

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Jose posted:

i can't stop watching steamed hams videos. I think this is the best one yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX6iZKWO0Ug

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah, it's kind of like at the end of "Behind the Laughter" where they just throw out off-hand that Springfield is in Northern Kentucky.

Now now, the actors that play the Simpsons are from northern Kentucky, but the show is set in North Tacoma

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

ExplodingSims posted:

, or some purple monkey dishwasher cutaway gag.

Ftfy

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Good news, Santa's Little Helper, you'll have a healthy set of human twins!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

Grampa sold his house so Homer could buy his. Homer then shipped him off to the old folks home.

That was the story until the season 22 episode Marge and the Double Wide. Homer, Marge, and baby Bart were living in a trailer originally. Homer heard that the show man vs food was coming to town, and he made it this mission to out-eat the host to usurp him and get his dream job. They went to all the frying dutchman, moes, that sushi place, and the Italian place and ended up tied 2 for 2. The show made a special episode where the next winner would get a house. They went to Chicago and had the contest at an iron chef restaurant. The host won, but homer stayed there and kept eating literally all the food one ingredient at a time while the iron chef begged him to stop until he was finally bribed with buying the house to make him go away

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

That 30 year old woman is voicing an 8 year old boy. I for one am outraged at this sexist ageist caricature

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Junk posted:

Several years ago some white friends of mine who are a married couple dressed up as Muslims for halloween. Husband had this huge beard which helped complete the look. They got all the clothes on loan from their Muslim friends who were totally down with the idea and only stipulated that they not drink liquor while wearing the clothes. Everywhere downtown that they went, Muslims that they met were enthusiastic and delighted at their costumes and took pictures with them. The only people who gave them a hard time about it were white people.

And then the visual gag that they do a hard cut to is that they're walking down a street wearing perfectly normal jeans and shirts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I don't care, I just like to laugh and stir the pot. I should probably replace my avatar with Hazel from the bugs bunny cartoons stirring her cauldron