Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it didn't get bad as early as nerds say but man when it got bad it fell off a loving cliff.

forward pass posted:

The season after the Who Shot Mr. Burns? cliffhanger was when I tuned out.

see like this. that's only the eighth season lmao.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the mel gibson episode was very funny tho.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

Why did Mr Smith kill everybody.

lol that's one of the all time great quotes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dogmeat posted:

Compared to the Lady Gaga one I guess. There were probably a few decent writers still on staff, the Mel Gibson episode just always stood out to me as the glaring example of when the focus of the show shifted.

nah it's very funny. not just in comparison to gaga.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Manchild King posted:

Is your username a reference to the bodybuilding episode?

it's a pee wee reference...noob...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the most hosed up thing about the movie is they have al brooks as the villain but he's not hank scorpio

(also why the gently caress is the president arnold and not rainer woftcastle).

one of the very first things i ever tracked down when i got the internet was this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwUQWamRNiY

it's in a ton of old episodes (to the point i consider it the secondary theme song) and i was so pumped when i finally found out what it was.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah wouldn't wanna make a call back to one of the most popular episodes of all time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i mean if he was head of the epa that's dumb it shoulda just been a crazy hank scorpio plot since it makes more sense.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's like someone else said earlier, it's people who grew up on the simpsons writing it now. it's like when you compare the original star wars flicks to the expanded universe novels and poo poo. on the surface level it looks the same but the people writing the new stuff didn't really get what made the original property so great.

also laziness.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it'd be hard for me to watch the show even if it was funnier due to the sanitized art style/animation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

when i say something like it's hosed up they used al brooks in the movie and not make him hank scorpio i didn't mean just plop hank scorpio into the movie as we got it. the mindset that would've written that into the plot would've been one that didn't make the movie we saw (since it'd have to go into more depth about the dome since hank and homer know each other).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqLGAtvnMLU

it also plays in disco stu's version of heaven.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 17, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

tfw maggie takes out her pacifier and says "daddy" at the end of the episode <:*-)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that richard gere episodes has one of my favorite scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYns5vR3QuQ

homer glaring at him slays me every time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

twoday posted:

It is the rarely seen Rumpus Room.

why do they have two living rooms.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the episode where maggie says daddy at the end is much more emotionally powerful than that goddang dog futurama episode.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how come all the shows are animated in korea. is it just they're cheap assholes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"the only post season 7 episode" lmao dude c'mon.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Last Chance posted:

Yeah I notice this too. I've been watching New Simpsons out of morbid curiosity lately and I also notice that they will just beat the poo poo out of a joke. Over and over again, I keep thinking "okay, stop. cut the joke here and it's fine..!" But they'll keep on truckin' and spoil the joke by over explaining it.

it's like comparing the original ghostbusters to the new one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

It's a lot like Bowie going from Scary Monsters to Let's Dance and then Tonight and Never Let Me Down

let's dance is one of bowie's best songs tho...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

"The Principal and the Pauper" is one of The SImpsons' best episodes :rolleyes:

sorry you have bad taste in music.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it did.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

when did the simpsons get partisan? in the classic days, they were cynical towards republicans (for being cartoonishly evil) and democrats (for being incompetent morons, plus mayor quimby was a caricature of the worst parts of JFK)

trump is insanely bad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

EnvyJ posted:

Any lisa themed episode is a bad one

maybe the one where she teams up with burns and recycles is okay, but only cos of him

i've posted it before but a lisa episode led to one of my fave scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYns5vR3QuQ

homer's angry face gets me every time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hedenius posted:

The most baffling thing about the movie is that they've spent years and years on the show with Rainier Wolfcastle as the Simpsons version of Arnold Schwarzenegger. And in the movie they just straight up call him Schwarzenegger instead.

and they get albert brooks to be the bad guy but he's not hank scorpio. how do you gently caress up poo poo that basic. poo poo took me completely out of the movie it's all i was thinking through the rest. it would've even had the plot make more "sense" why the gently caress is the epa doing an under the dome on springfield.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

homer's mouth slowly turning into a smile when bart reveals his card is my favorite bit of animation. it always slays me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn5HARPU-_I

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"gym"? what's a "gym"? oooooooh a gym.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

candlepin is superior to be fair.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the kim basinger episode has some funny bits to it. homer giving alec his script is great.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's more that years ago people would act like the show immediately became poo poo after that episode. it was a gradual decline where each subsequent season had fewer and fewer good episodes. i think i stopped watching every week around 14 or 15.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

***CONTROVERSIAL OPINION***
I actually like the Homer invented grunge episode, it has a lot of good jokes and idgaf about continuity
and the parody of Glycerine is great

it's bad sorry.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Last Chance posted:

I'm watching some random season 12 episodes because I hate myself and they're bad. bad bad bad... A lot of them suffer from the tertiary characters just hanging out with The Simpsons for good drat reason at all. The whole town is hanging out at a free YMCA weekend-thing, Homer breaks his leg, and then the whole town is having fun outside of his window. It's really weird.

is that when he breaks his leg playing bball? the willie and carl bits were good.

Last Chance posted:

I just watched Season 12, Episode 17: Simpsons Safari

Yeesh. loving yeesh. This is the one where they go to Africa. Holy hell it's rancid.

is that the one where the jane goodall stand-in is using chimps to mine diamonds? the bit where homer is on the bed throwing diamonds up going "look marge i'm a scientist!" was funny.

also "i can shoot a lion in the face!"

it's not until the teens where you get episodes that just have nothing in them that's why i stopped watching then.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 20, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Brofessor Slayton posted:

I know there's a recent Flintstones comic which includes such gem lines as "Barney, we committed genocide." I hear it's good, but I've only seen bizarre panels with no context.

it's very good. prior to the start of the series, barney and fred were part of an army that wiped out the tree people who originally lived on the land bedrock was founded on. instead of the water buffalo lodge it's a veterans lodge (they wear the same hats).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Scudworth posted:

:stare:

Rando fans better than current writing staff. It's sad. It's really really sad.

the way to get a job in tv writing is to write a spec script for a different show. i think donald glover did it by writing a simpsons script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Benny Harvey posted:

Why did the president kill everybody?

mr. smith.