Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

esports magazine posted:

whats the punchline

this entire thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I'm googling around to see which episodes people hate the most, and it's hard to believe any of these episodes are actually real.

"Elon Musk, who voices himself, comes to Springfield and befriends Homer in his efforts to modernize the nuclear power plant. But he goes too far, leaving Homer to figure out a nice way to break ties.

Mr. Burns, meanwhile, tries to assassinate Musk, and when Homer finally tells the billionaire tech mogul that they can’t be friends, Musk takes off in his rocketship."

:barf:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I found a list compiled by a website called nohomers.net from 2003 of the top 50 worst episodes (according to the couple of dozen people who voted in the poll :v:)

https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/NoHomers.net%27s_50_Worst_episodes

45/50 of these episodes are from season 10 onward. Impressive, considering there were only 14 seasons at the time. This is I think, definitive proof that Al Jean is the worst thing to happen to the Simpsons ever.

Supposedly my mother-in-law went to highschool with him, I'm gonna ask her about him next time I see her.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I got really drunk and figured if I tried the new Simpsons now it'd have a decent shot at making me laugh. Only once, when during the food fight a tater tot hits Groundskeeper Willie in the helmet, he takes it off to examine the dent, and a second tater tot hits him between the eyes. I chuckled, then had to turn it off because of how boring it got when the Youtube influencer guy showed Homer the laughing monkey video.

A solid minute of Homer laughing at a bad Youtube video from over ten years ago. If I wanted to see poo poo like that I'd watch my boomer family members watch Americas Funniest Home Videos.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

I hate how Homer gets a new job in every episode, something that only happens in the new seasons. Like this "Dancin' Homer" episode ...

Me too, like that crazy "Mr. Plow" episode. New seasons are out of control.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

If you don't have a cable connection, yar har har and a bottle of rum.

If you do, https://www.simpsonsworld.com/browse/episodes

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Seriously, how much could it cost to put the first ten seasons up with ads?

I'd watch them, I'm sick of using up the hard disk space for ten seasons of an ancient cartoon and wouldn't mind watching some Jack in the Box commercials to watch the old seasons.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I imagine a lot since if they are going to show them in their entirety vs the butchered syndication cuts, there's less overall commercial time per episode

As if they would care about when the real adbreaks were, and not just slap 5 two minute ad breaks evenly spread out through the episode not including the post-credits ad and the pre-intro ad.

So basically old Hulu, where it was the same two ads played during all seven breaks.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

The "Queen tribute" thing was on tonight's episode, but it was a couch gag. But it wasn't a couch gag it just happened without the credits or pan through town or anything.

The family goes to the San Castellenetta festival, which turns out to be some kind of Italian street festival honoring a saint whose story is told by Jason Mamoa playing himself. A pickpocket steals everyone's wallets. The police bring in an outside investigator (played by some soap actress), who decides they need to plant a tracked wallet on the biggest rear end in town, Homer's.

There is a montage set to "booylicious" of Homer trying to get pickpocketed. Eventually it works and that leads the cops to Fat Tony.

Wiggum watches them arrest him dejected and says "this is what it feels like to be irrelevant" and Ralph, who is there for some reason, says "an elephant?" and the two of them walk on all fours to the tune of Baby Elephant Walk to a nearby watering hole where they splash around like elephants.

That was about 10 minutes into the episode, and then I stopped watching it because jesus christ.

It's been said before I'm sure but it sucks how this could easily be a lesser Family Guy episode.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

No this is a slight to Family Guy.

Actually, someone else go watch the newest episode because I think it really might be the low point of the show. It's so loving bad. I need a second pair of eyes on this one.

That's why I said lesser, I know modern Family Guy is somehow managing good episodes.

I will watch the new episode and report back in an hour, God help me :v:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Toxic Mental posted:

this dude still hasn't come back yet

I think he must have offed himself it was that bad

It was close, if I wasn't drunk the impact of the horrible episode would have killed me, much like a horrible car crash.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The Halloween episode this year for Bobs Burgers was fantastic. If you have Hulu go watch that poo poo right now

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Family Guy was really killing it the last three episodes, and most of last season (though this season opener was bad. If you ever liked the show, you'll probably mostly enjoy it again. It seems like they care about the writing again and you can tell there's some semblance of examining the scripts to make sure the jokes actually work, vs. modern Simpsons where it seems like they just use the first thing they thought of and never examine it again.

Oh gently caress I watched the first episode of the new season and didn't give the rest a chance

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

Moleman's highest moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAQs4QH1CKo&t=11s

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Because you doesn’t have to call him Johnson

One of my favorite episodes of King of the Hill is when Bobby tries desperately to figure out why people thought this joke was funny

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Riptor posted:

Selma's hair kinda looks like an M too and there's an M in Selma

I'm ashamed to admit it but I've been watching the Simpsons for decades and only now I'll finally be able to tell them apart, thank you

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I'm one of the weirdos who actually likes season 1s animation, but I like it because it looks goofy. You can see some great poo poo just from pausing at random moments. Like this lol

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

Cleveland is a funnier character than any other McFarlane property, and he has the best supporting cast of friends.

Like Peter’s crew was literally “a black guy, a handicapped guy, and a rape guy” and it took NO JOKE like 10 years to develop them. Out of gate Cleveland had a way funnier and more nuanced group of friends, so they were much easier to write good gags for.

Stan Smith just has like 4 guys in suits with interchangeable addictions and traits.

When I was growing up Barney was Homer’s best friend but my understanding is that they sobered Barney up and don’t really use him anymore. Does Homer ever really do things with his friends anymore?

At first I thought this was ridiculous but as I thought about it I agree with it a little bit. Holt and Tim are actually very funny characters with their own fun episodes, I am not a fan of Lester though, it's lame to have Cleveland be friends with an open racist. Although you shouldn't compare the dads friend groups alone, because that leaves out Steves friend group, which is hilarious.

And I think Roger is the best character that Seth MacFarlane ever came up with, he's a friend group unto himself.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Dot dot dot, dot DOT dot, dOt DoT dOt, DOT dot

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I like to play a game when I'm drunk where I see how far I can get into a new episode of the Simpsons. Not even completely smashed can I make it past around the 7 minute mark for any of them.

This is especially alarming to me because I like a lot of bad stuff. How can I possibly read not just one but several Warhammer novels, but I can't get through even one episode of the modern simpsons even with the aid of tons of booze?

:iiam:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

wHaT cOuLd PoSsIbLy Go WrOnG??/?/?!!?1/

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

It sure puts into perspective the scene in the early episodes where they go into Mortys teachers mind and there's the sexual part which is filled with absolutely every perversion you can think of, including incestuous 17 year old Summer and it's sort of implied that everyone has a part of their brain like that and it's just normal.

Edit : Also explains his continued willingness to work with Dan "I'm going to coerce and threaten my female employees into sleeping with me" Harmon

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 13, 2020

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

quote:

Azaria indicated there was no resistance to phasing him out as the voice. One wonders why the show couldn’t just share that news earlier.

This is really weird to read after the weird passive aggressive clip of Marge and Lisa defending the role/voice.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol if you dont think ward rackley was one of the best one off characters on koth

Another one of the best single use characters ever conceived, Rad Thibodeaux. Every scene with him in that episode is better than gold, it's platinum studded with diamonds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7b6R4QB3WI&t=22s

Voiced by Matthew McConaughey to boot. Absolutely stellar choice.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

They never did a Boomhower//Luanne thing on KOTH did they? I’m super solid on the first 8 seasons but haven’t really watched anything past there

The 5th episode ever was actually about this. Hank wants Luanne out of his den and is about to talk to her about it but he can't bring himself to because her boyfriend just dumped her. To help her move on (so he can kick her out when she isn't depressed) he encourages her to find a new boyfriend. In the end that turns out to be Boomhauer, and Hank forbids it. She fucks off to live with Boomhauer and Hank realizes how badly he's loving up, so he chills out and asks her to stay in the den. The episode ends with her accepting the offer and telling Hank she loves him. I think Luanna and Boomhauer decide not to keep dating because of how uncomfortable Boomhauer was when Luanna came to live with him unannounced.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

you broke my grill posted:

Boomhauer and Luanne never dated she just decided she was gonna live with him and Boomhauer made her sleep on the couch

Yeah they weren't in a relationship or anything but they went on a dinner date to Lulys after they argued with Hank about whether or not it was okay for them to date, and that was after Hank caught her giving Boomhauer a kiss. Just got done rewatching the episode and there's nothing suggesting that they wouldn't have full-on dated if Hank hadn't freaked out.

Just saying that there was an episode where Luanne and Boomhauer were interested in each other, at least briefly.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

If this were real I'm almost certain I would have gotten it at some point, I had PGA Tour Golf for DOS and I would've loved the ability to hit the ball into a parking lot.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Code Jockey posted:

Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf for the NES? I always thought that was the reference anyway

I might be biased because I had that as a kid idk

e. No power drives into parking lots sadly, but if you go out of bounds your golfer angrily stomps so there is that

That has to be it, the over the top title/cover plus the fact that it's on a cartridge solidifies it.

Unrelated but the Japanese release gave anime personas to the little pixel golfers lol

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I'm glad I stopped playing my little game where I get drunk and try to watch new Simpsons, this one would have caused me to drink in excess.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I honestly have no idea but I wouldn't be surprised if it was way earlier than that even.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Fun fact, the gargoyle Pazuzu is named after the ancient Babylonian Demon-God of the underworld.

Pazuzu also brought plagues and storms, so Pazuzu was worshipped just in an attempt to keep him from wrecking your poo poo.

And is also frequently portrayed with a massive erect dong, because ancient religion.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The Moon Monster posted:

I got a laugh at the sign on the dump in the new episode so that's something. "50,000 seagulls can't be wrong!"

That actually feels like an Old Simpsons joke

Code Jockey posted:

He also had a role in Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

Old Final Fantasy loooved putting Gods and Demons from ancient civilizations in their games. They still might, I just haven't played the new ones.

Hell I think Gilgamesh is a boss in either FF1 or 2.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

In my experience, a rotten old jerk who just complains all the time is exactly the kind of person that did have an extravagant and strange life.

For my entire life, my grandpa existed merely to watch TV and complain about what his family was doing. I literally never saw him leave his chair unless to go to the bathroom or sleep until the day he died, and I hated visiting him because he literally never had anything nice or fun to say about anyone or anything. Not even a book full of cakes from magazines, like Agnes.

The other week I learned he was a trick pony rider in Chicago before WW2, and was actually considered one of the flashier and more talented riders. He woo'd my grandma by performing a particularly dangerous stunt while holding a flower for her in his teeth. I only knew him as a 400lb terminal "gameshow watcher".

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

or the Italian Bob

gently caress. I was late to the game when it came to watching the Simpsons. I had seen a few episodes but I thought I didn't like the Simpsons because every time I tried I'd end up watching an episode as bad as the Italian Bob episode and I'd always think "Wow this show is loving overrated I hate it"

It took my wife showing me the first 10 seasons on DVD to get it. She's really too good for me

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The wikipedia page for the episode says "This article's plot summary may be too long or excessively detailed." and boy howdy are they not kidding, especially if you consider the whole page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mom_and_Pop_Art

"While the designs of Homer's new art friends were not based on anybody in particular, the "German guy" was drawn to hold his cigarette in a "European way" by animation director Jim Reardon."

loving vital informaiton, thanks for including it in the article random irl Comicbook Guy

There's smaller pages for battles in WW2

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Ror posted:

Somehow I've never really thought about Otto's age, he's another one of those character archetypes that doesn't really exist anymore as originally conceived. In 2020 if you tell me to imagine a burnout who's into heavy metal and has long curly mullet and wears jean shorts, I'm probably going to imagine an old man who's still clinging onto being like Ozzy instead of a young rocker. His character is constantly using a cassette Walkman!

fake edit: jesus, in season 3 they reveal his birth year as 1963

Holy poo poo Otto is older than my mom. I never would have guessed, even in the 90s.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

It's not just cartoons. Andy from Parks and Rec has an extremely similar musical career to that of John Redcorn. Down to the very joke about changing a couple of words in a very adult song for children. Andy sings a song about sex hair and changes it, Redcorn sings a song about killing himself and changes it.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Was about to say, Family Guy can do musical numbers really well sometimes. Other times though, it's just Shipoopy.

American Dad occasionally nails music too. The B12 boy band song and the one where Steve does an R&B song about how hot his mom is are both amazing. Can't forget "Daddy's Gone" either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz-2dWWWwI0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wltTIJiIBiw

Hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tITz-42MbRI

This one here is almost better than it has any right to be for such a dopey episode.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Oh gently caress yeah how could I forget Bobs Burgers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDiuSwrRQ4M

"Bad Stuff Happens in the Bathroom" is probably my favorite song I've ever heard from a cartoon sitcom.

It's truly great. Something about it just clicks so much in my noodle